Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slim Pickens posted:

Doesn't sound as bad as the other cannonball that requires your bike to be made before 1915. 90% of the challenge is keeping your wheezy bike running.
That's not quite what it is, although it'll be similar to that next year I'm told. Up to 2014 it was pre-1937 I think. I know a guy who rode in it last year. Dude's crazy. The race has a very sensible system of scoring, though, I really like it. They do it based just on how many miles of the course you complete. A number of people complete every mile, so then they have a series of tiebreakers. They go something like, age of bike, age of rider, engine size, etc. So the winner could fairly be said to be the one who had the most difficult job completing the race. The guy I know who did it last year is currently having a 1916 Henderson four rebuilt for the 2016 race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Taking my girlfriend out on the bike for the first time tomorrow, for our anniversary. (Un?)fortunately I couldn't get the DRZ rigged for two, so I'm renting a Bonneville. (Un?)fortunately the Bonnie was crashed by another rider, so I might be using a BMW R1200GS.

I might just turn this date into a solo trip.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I mean, she'll have a great time riding around with you on an R1200GS.

The only problem is it's gonna set really unrealistic expectations for how every other bike will be 2 up. Better to just teach her how to ride then have to deal with the passenger shock from R1200GS to DRZ.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

builds character posted:

Nobody chooses the buell. :sigh:

How did you like hugging the coast of Texas? It's one state I've just hated driving through. Cops are sticklers for speeding, it all looks the same from the highway and it takes approximately fourteen years to make it through. I think this would be different if you were stopping off at a few places but when I drove straight through it was miserable.

I think we ditched the coast at that point for family in college station, then headed towards Colorado, it was a very meandering 2 and a half month journey, we never made it further than Portland I think, before deciding to just rent a house here in Oregon rather than ride through Idaho and Kansas to go home.

It looks really ridiculous when you type it all out like that. Jesus.

edit: I did it on a Buell. On purpose even.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

The only problem is it's gonna set really unrealistic expectations for how every other bike will be 2 up. Better to just teach her how to ride then have to deal with the passenger shock from R1200GS to DRZ.

I have no 2 up expectations, and she wants her own bike soon. :getin: This is just a one time trip for us.

And what I meant by a solo trip is that I want to bail on her and enjoy the 1200 solo. It's one of my dream bikes.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Slavvy posted:

Sounds more like a deliberate exercise in masochism.

A friend rebuilt an Vespa P200 from the ground up for the '14 run, only to have it put a hole in the piston 20 miles in... apparently he didn't have enough time to do any real shakedown rides. And I just found out 3 friends are now planning on the '16 run, but they all ride modern Japanese bikes - mostly Zuma 125s. So they shouldn't have any reliability issues.

I'm awfully tempted, even just to offer driving a support vehicle for them. The 2016 route hasn't been settled on yet, though. Not even start and end points.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Chichevache posted:

I have no 2 up expectations, and she wants her own bike soon. :getin: This is just a one time trip for us.

And what I meant by a solo trip is that I want to bail on her and enjoy the 1200 solo. It's one of my dream bikes.

"Accidentally" forget her at your first petrol stop.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

DRZs take passengers? Aside from your buddy who's bike broke down?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

nsaP posted:

Technically you can.

e: It has stock passenger pegs

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

Ryan Gosling did it in Place Beyond the Pines. :shrug: You need more proof than that?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Marxalot posted:

Technically you can.

e: It has stock passenger pegs

Cmon baby it's fine. A family in India doesn't mind...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

Cmon baby it's fine. A family in India doesn't mind...

Good enough for Eva Mendes, good for my girl.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

Good enough for Eva Mendes, good for my girl.

I was going to make a joke about the suspension being bottomed out the whole ride, but then I realized that there are probably DRZ nerds on Thumpertalk that weigh more than you and your GF.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

I was going to make a joke about the suspension being bottomed out the whole ride, but then I realized that there are probably DRZ nerds on Thumpertalk that weigh more than you and your GF.

We come in at less than 300 atm.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

We come in at less than 300 atm.

I don't know how comfortable it will be, but I've jumped off plenty of curbs and at my fattest I was probably around 250. At least 260 with gear.

You're fine.

e: And this is with a bike from 05 that probably still has the fork oil/seals that came with it from the factory :v:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

I don't know how comfortable it will be, but I've jumped off plenty of curbs and at my fattest I was probably around 250. At least 260 with gear.

You're fine.

e: And this is with a bike from 05 that probably still has the fork oil/seals that came with it from the factory :v:

Back when I was 220 7 months ago I did that some. Didn't have too much trouble. Anyway the plan is to get her a Vespa or something soon.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

A friend rebuilt an Vespa P200 from the ground up for the '14 run, only to have it put a hole in the piston 20 miles in... apparently he didn't have enough time to do any real shakedown rides. And I just found out 3 friends are now planning on the '16 run, but they all ride modern Japanese bikes - mostly Zuma 125s. So they shouldn't have any reliability issues.

I'm awfully tempted, even just to offer driving a support vehicle for them. The 2016 route hasn't been settled on yet, though. Not even start and end points.

I assume if someone shows up on a burgman everyone just rolls their eyes and avoids that person?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Slavvy posted:

I assume if someone shows up on a burgman everyone just rolls their eyes and avoids that person?

They're not allowed to even register, the ride is capped at 250cc.

For '14 they used a handicap system to balance points, where you were penalized for running a bike newer or larger than a 1979 P200E, so you'd have a harder time winning on your Burgman even if you could show up.

I don't know what the social stigma would be though.

e: oh I guess there's the Burgman 200 now.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm quietly backspacing "purchase Burgman" from my scooter cannonball to-do list.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Scooter people are fun as hell but man can they be judgmental about your chariot.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's funny because bike riders give people poo poo for having a bike that's too small/slow.

Scooter nerds give people poo poo for having a bike that's too big/fast/not scootery enough.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Show up on this guy and do sick burnouts while the 60's vespa guys roll their eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRsbRRV8lPo

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, if the scooter cannonball scrutineers can be distracted, I think we could slip something like that or something like this past them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OIl9oLGx1o

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I would show up to those things on a Grom and act baffled/confused when people refused to accept it as a scooter.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
OK fess up, which one you goons has a nom de plume of Smoove B and rides the best Japanese bike made?

http://www.theonion.com/articles/you-will-be-my-everything,37975/

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Marv Hushman posted:

OK fess up, which one you goons has a nom de plume of Smoove B and rides the best Japanese bike made?

http://www.theonion.com/articles/you-will-be-my-everything,37975/

quote:

I will be playing the Pandora station for Maxwell.

Perfection.

poo poo, now I really wanna read the Choppers rant. Someone has to have that saved somewhere.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

Perfection.

poo poo, now I really wanna read the Choppers rant. Someone has to have that saved somewhere.

Never heard of it, but I want to read it too

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
This one?

http://motoblag.com/blag/?p=116

YOU KNOW HOW IT IS AFTER RIDING FREE FOR SO LONG YOUR rear end GETS A LITTLE SORE BUT YOU GET USED TO IT

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Dielectric posted:

This one?

YOU KNOW HOW IT IS AFTER RIDING FREE FOR SO LONG YOUR rear end GETS A LITTLE SORE BUT YOU GET USED TO IT

Yes, this one. Thanks!

Edit: Jesus, can't believe that was originally posted ~10 years ago.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 16, 2015

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Dielectric posted:

This one?

Hey rear end in a top hat
I guess you think your above or ” harder ” than all the builders on the discovery channel., personally I don’t give a gently caress about any of that poo poo. but dude I think your soundin like one of those drama queens we hear about! my opinion is simple, If ya ride thats cool, but bein able to pull over and help another bro work on his scoot or being able to fix your own ride with out havin to pay some other MIT trained monkey is what scootin’s all about bro! Sooo the question is whens the last time you turned a wrench!! Ha!

:allears:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
Maybe it's just topical and dated, but I've always found this uh-oh, someone with a lesser vocabulary just might utter words in my direction theme to be a little...precious. And I'll admit that it sounds like something I might have written around that time. Here's what I've learned:

1. You're at the Route 27 Gas n' Go at 4 AM on a Sunday. Who the gently caress do you expect to run into here, Salman Rushdie and Werner Herzog?
2. If someone at a gas station enters your personal space and doesn't stab you, consider it a win for humanity.
3. Shut up and play along, it comes with the package. Tactfully fielding questions from those with ancient, cursory, or imaginary involvement in a sport/hobby is part of promoting it. You might just learn something.

Smoove B out.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marv Hushman posted:

1. You're at the Route 27 Gas n' Go at 4 AM on a Sunday. Who the gently caress do you expect to run into here, Salman Rushdie and Werner Herzog?

Considering he managed to get himself in the middle of a civil war, in a jungle, threatening a bipolar lunatic at gun point, I wouldn't really be surprised if he ominously stepped out of a shadow in the middle of nowhere and asked me about bieks in his terrifying voice.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Marv Hushman posted:

Maybe it's just topical and dated, but I've always found this uh-oh, someone with a lesser vocabulary just might utter words in my direction theme to be a little...precious. And I'll admit that it sounds like something I might have written around that time. Here's what I've learned:

2. If someone at a gas station enters your personal space and doesn't stab you, consider it a win for humanity.
3. Shut up and play along, it comes with the package. Tactfully fielding questions from those with ancient, cursory, or imaginary involvement in a sport/hobby is part of promoting it. You might just learn something.

Smoove B out.

Little known fact, the pensioner with the Cadillac? Actually Werner Herzog. Rushdie went in to get some beef jerky and a Red Bull while the old kraut pumped the gas.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
Valid points, real possibilities, and initial sketches from the best road movie ever.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

His accent is like vinegar, if your ears could taste.

"Tell me about your motorcycle." he rasps, his voice barely above a whisper.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
"Riding is much like life, in that it is a pointless cycle of destruction and misery, perpetuated by fools."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What bike would Klaus Kinski Ride?

My bet is one of those back-to-front snowmobile things they use for drag racing, with the caterpillar track in front of the bike engine.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Am I the only one who sees a shark in the alpinestars logo?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
As of today I will have spent just as much repairing a Gs500 as I've paid for it. Craigslist specials are not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

nitrogen posted:

As of today I will have spent just as much repairing a Gs500 as I've paid for it. Craigslist specials are not worth it.

So, about $1000 total after tax and registration? That's still not bad dude.