Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tex Avery posted:

This one will always be my favorite.

I don't get why you posted Gabe Newell making an announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Phy posted:

Because it was a train wreck? :downsrim:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's OK cause Gabe bought my E30, still cool with me.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Powershift posted:

I hear that most drownings occur near water.

There are different types of train crossings. I typed this out because apparently it is news to you.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

nsaP posted:

There are different types of train crossings. I typed this out because apparently it is news to you.

Explain to me what other type of train crossing in which a train would be at risk of colliding with a car.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Here the road is a couple feet lower than the rail line and you have to slow for any crossing because they're basically big speed humps.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

nsaP posted:

Here the road is a couple feet lower than the rail line and you have to slow for any crossing because they're basically big speed humps.

So a level crossing then?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's still a level crossing.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Sorry I was not specific enough for goons

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nsaP posted:

Why are you not gunning the throttle and ramping off it into a giant wheelie? Come ON.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

nsaP posted:

OK, smart guy. Present the evidence that separates train/car accidents at flat level crossings from slightly higher level crossings.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Just a minute, let me get right on that since I was giving a dissertation, not commenting that "Here I hear"...

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Jesus Crust.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You made a ridiculous statement, got called on it, and then "defended" yourself saying "I typed this out because apparently it is news to you. " As if you're not the loving moron here.

I'm giving you the chance to prove you're not a moron.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Dude...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk&t=59s

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Powershift posted:

You made a ridiculous statement, got called on it, and then "defended" yourself saying "I typed this out because apparently it is news to you. " As if you're not the loving moron here.

I'm giving you the chance to prove you're not a moron.

TRAIN CROSSINGS ARE VERY IMPORTANT

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Sagebrush posted:

TRAIN CROSSINGS ARE VERY IMPORTANT

As I shall now prove to you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue61c6MZNQw&t=126s

Cellular Suicide fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 14, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

nsaP posted:

Here's what you're missing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_crossing posted:

A level crossing (a primarily British term; usually known as a railroad crossing in North America) is an intersection where a railway line crosses a road or path at the same level, as opposed to the railway line crossing over or under using a bridge or tunnel.
Level crossing means anything you'd call a railroad crossing, so it's pointless to say that most train/car accidents occur at level crossings because cars tend not to be on the tracks anywhere else.

Relevant, these are the cops you share the road with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiGUoRd6eCg&t=60s

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

wolrah posted:

Level crossing means anything you'd call a railroad crossing, so it's pointless to say that most train/car accidents occur at level crossings because cars tend not to be on the tracks anywhere else.

Please tell me my satire detector is malfunctioning cause I can't tell if this is a real thing or not

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Please tell me my satire detector is malfunctioning cause I can't tell if this is a real thing or not

This is a legit Cops episode

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Is it normal for a 53 foot trailer to have bald tires on it? There looked to be no tread depth on those things.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

wolrah posted:

Nah I got that by the post where I said sorry for my lack of specifics. All I meant was that I had heard the level crossings with even roads and rails had most of the crashes compared to crossings where you had to slow down because the rail was above the road level. I didn't articulate that well.

I was overly pedantic gooned.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Bovril Delight posted:

Almost as good as the one where the cop tried to chase a pickup through a field, got hung up on a stump, set the grass underneath him on fire, and burned his own car to the ground. :v:

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Phy posted:

There's no joke there, I just hosed up. I remember watching that video, but I have no idea why the URL was on my clipboard. :derp:

This is the video I wanted to share.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Middle of nowhere Japan today, some crazy lady missed her turn so she stopped and started to reverse. Which is dumb enough as it is but she did so without even looking behind her at all and if I hadn't reacted fast enough she would have plowed straight into me. Luckily no damage was done because that would have been hell trying to get the insurance to take my side.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Bovril Delight posted:

What in the actual gently caress? "HArd on my stomach as well as my back", It's like he has absolutely nothing interesting to say and just needs to fill in. I wonder how the Camera plays into the officers psyche of "I got to sound like a badass and do something cool when in reality, my job is a boring shithole", and his decision to pursue a dirtbiker through woods with a goddamn crown vic

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tex Avery posted:

This is the video I wanted to share.

:stare:

This is a person who should never be in control of anything more dangerous than a toothbrush.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Wow, that is an amazing "gas does not equal brake" crash. You can see the car jump forward right before it hits.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

RillAkBea posted:

Middle of nowhere Japan today, some crazy lady missed her turn so she stopped and started to reverse. Which is dumb enough as it is but she did so without even looking behind her at all and if I hadn't reacted fast enough she would have plowed straight into me. Luckily no damage was done because that would have been hell trying to get the insurance to take my side.

I saw this last weekend. This minivan missed the exit for the turnpike so he pulled over to the side and started reversing. All he had to do was get off at the next exit, less than 1 mile away, and got back on the highway going the other way or drive less than 10 minutes to get the non-highway entrance to the turnpike.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

mariooncrack posted:

I saw this last weekend. This minivan missed the exit for the turnpike so he pulled over to the side and started reversing. All he had to do was get off at the next exit, less than 1 mile away, and got back on the highway going the other way or drive less than 10 minutes to get the non-highway entrance to the turnpike.

"BUT I HAVE TO, THAT WAY ONLY SATISFIES 99% OF MY CRITERIA!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

"BUT I HAVE TO, THAT WAY ONLY SATISFIES 99% OF MY CRITERIA!"

It's amazing how many of the hosed up things one sees in daily life can be traced back to exactly that mindset, driving-related or otherwise.

Louis CK has a keen insight into the human mind.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I posted this in the dash cam thread but I witnessed this and it reminded me of Louis CK's bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZLuldnwSHw

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

PT6A posted:

It's amazing how many of the hosed up things one sees in daily life can be traced back to exactly that mindset, driving-related or otherwise.

Louis CK has a keen insight into the human mind.

It's the difference between rote learning and problem solving learning. The person doing the stupid thing navigates by rote and just doesn't have the skills to re-plan the route, so the reversing into oncoming traffic seems like a better option as ahead will never go the way they need even if in the real world it does. It's like the older generations of sat navs that cannot recalculate the route on the fly so would constantly tell you to turn around if you missed a turning.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I met this guy yesterday.

"Lets leave a shopping center by turning against a one-way sign! I can avoid all that traffic by going the wrong way! BRILLIANCE!"

JamesMxP
May 6, 2007
Remembered a good road rager from when I was in my early 20s. Coming back from mowing a lawn in my POS Ford Tempo and happened upon a random bicycle race in the middle of nowhere in WV. It was only a couple hundred feet to the crest of a blind hill, so I backed off and planned to pass at the top where it was safe.

Cue crazy guy in a black beater Chevy pickup coming up behind me blowing his horn and flipping out. I flipped him off, then passed the bicyclists at the top of the hill. Crazy guy blasts past me as soon as I return to my lane. As soon as he's in front of me, he jams on his brakes, slides sideways to block the road, jumps out screaming, and pegs my windshield with the soft serve ice cream cone he was eating. I immediately cut down through a lawn around him and got back on the road.

He caught me again about a mile down the road and jumps out again, but took off when some other cars came up behind me, fortunately before I made the decision to ram him and pin him against his truck.

Never saw the truck again thankfully. Definitely my most surreal driving experience.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
Leaving my house and driving along the hilly curvy road and come upon Jethro moving his house.

Yes, that is some jackass trying to move his mobile home with a pickup truck. I stopped and watched for a few minutes to see what was going and it looked like they were broke down. I turned around and went the other way.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWzkpCr0F0M

They're out in full force today.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anytime that video/guy is posted I can't help but want to find him and punch him in the face. Yes, bad drivers, but god he drives like a oval office and is looking for any excuse to honk and act all indignant.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
My neighbor across the street is a jackass.

He drives a lifted Chevy truck with a million different stickers like "YANKEE LAKE TRUCK NIGHT" and "OFF ROADING." He never looks when he backs out, he just pulls out. He's cut me off several times doing this and I'm guessing he's the one who backed into my dad who was backing out once. Yesterday, I had just backed out of my driveway and I see him starting to reverse, not realizing, I'm in the street. It had been snowing all day and they barely had a chance to plow so I'm going 15 mph and my street is entirely uphill and a few curves so it's easy to slide if you're not careful. He's riding my rear end the whole way, I'm pretty sure he's pissed I'm going that slow. He continues following behind me for a few miles into the road splits into multiple lanes. I took the left lane so he immediately sped up and took the right lane and got stuck behind a Ford Escape. The entire time while driving behind the Escape he's screaming and honking his horn because the Escape doesn't want to speed up in all of the slush. They come up to the intersection and it has two right lanes for turning. The Escape is in the right most lane so he takes the left turning lane, speeds up, and takes the turn. I'm surprised he didn't eat poo poo while turning.

gently caress that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Can't stand people how come to a 4 way stop and don't move even when their turn comes around. Makes the other people confused and fucks up the whole flow because no one knows if this idiot is going to just lurch into motion with no warning.