Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I think the GTI and Golf R are the only German made ones we still get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Anything with AWD still comes out of Germany for the time being.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

iwentdoodie posted:

I think the GTI and Golf R are the only German made ones we still get.

The GTI is made in Mexico now. http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/1401-production-2015-volkswagen-golf-7-begins-mexico/

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
What's the general consensus on the Jetta GLI? My wife's car is likely due to be replaced in the not-so-distant future (2003 Mazda 6), and as much as I've tried to steer her towards a GTI, she doesn't like the hatchback body style.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

WescottF1 posted:

What's the general consensus on the Jetta GLI? My wife's car is likely due to be replaced in the not-so-distant future (2003 Mazda 6), and as much as I've tried to steer her towards a GTI, she doesn't like the hatchback body style.

The GLI is going to have the upgraded rear suspension, better brakes and the body kit. It also doesn't have the lovely cheap plastic interior you get with the poverty spec jetta.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

veedubfreak posted:

The GLI is going to have the upgraded rear suspension, better brakes and the body kit. It also doesn't have the lovely cheap plastic interior you get with the poverty spec jetta.

I've never been in a GLI, but the full-trim Jetta I got as a loaner two years ago waiting for my R was garbage inside and out. I love my R but the Jetta-for-North America is totally not my jam and I disliked it fully.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

SFH1989 posted:

I feel the same way plus you can't heel toe the FoST for poo poo. The one I drove was a '13 did they fix the pedal placement in later models? Both great little cars though, I wouldn't say either are a bad choice.

If it's just an issue of the gas peddle being lower than the brake, you can get a spacer that raises the whole assembly and takes like 2 minutes to install.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Electric Pigeon posted:

Or, if less good, it will drive some better STI deals???

I really hope Ford is able to undercut the STI by a couple thousand but I am begining to doubt that with the prices rumors that have been floating around.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I almost hope the FoRS is stupid expensive, so I don't have to do any financial gymnastics to try and get one.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Atmus posted:

If it's just an issue of the gas peddle being lower than the brake, you can get a spacer that raises the whole assembly and takes like 2 minutes to install.

I did this to my Mustang with a piece of tubing and a hose clamp.

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

Atmus posted:

I almost hope the FoRS is stupid expensive, so I don't have to do any financial gymnastics to try and get one.

Calidus posted:

I really hope Ford is able to undercut the STI by a couple thousand but I am begining to doubt that with the prices rumors that have been floating around.

Yeah, if it starts with a 4, that'll probably scare me off. If it's around an STI's price, I'll wait to drive one til I feel brave enough to spend some money.
I'm still bouncing-in-my-chair-watching-promos excited, though! I hope it's harsh and nasty enough that the magazines complain about the ride and noise. That will mean it's just about perfect.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Electric Pigeon posted:

Yeah, if it starts with a 4, that'll probably scare me off. If it's around an STI's price, I'll wait to drive one til I feel brave enough to spend some money.
I'm still bouncing-in-my-chair-watching-promos excited, though! I hope it's harsh and nasty enough that the magazines complain about the ride and noise. That will mean it's just about perfect.

I'd be very surprised if the RS is priced higher than the Golf R. Maybe at the same price sure, but beyond it? If it is then the RS is going to be marketed as a collectors item and they'll sell them all anyway.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Atmus posted:

:o details!

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 4, 2020

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Extra posted:

Choices for lightweight (Sub-3000lb) hatchbacks in the US Market 2000-2010:
The post you quoted was about "good, fun hatches" and you post the Chevrolet Aveo and Hyundai Accent.

Please let my mom know I loved her and excuse me as I die of suffocation from laughing so hard.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Any FoST owner want a 3rd gen Cobb accessport? I have to sell my car in the next couple weeks as a consequence of moving to NYC. I figure it's a pretty niche product so I'll post up in the AI marketplace as well, but I wanted to put out feelers specifically to goons what already own the car.

PM me I figure $300 obo it's basically new

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 4, 2020

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

whitey delenda est posted:

Any FoST owner want a 3rd gen Cobb accessport? I have to sell my car in the next couple weeks as a consequence of moving to NYC. I figure it's a pretty niche product so I'll post up in the AI marketplace as well, but I wanted to put out feelers specifically to goons what already own the car.

PM me I figure $300 obo it's basically new

Pm sent

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Sent you a PM back, but my inbox was full and didn't receive your reply. Anyway you got dibs for now I'll post you up a pic and can send on Friday.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
drat that's a great deal too. If I wasn't so antsy about my warranty I'dve nabbed it.

I heard with the AP you can change how the throttle response is and so forth, which for some reason the FoST has a weirdly sluggish gas pedal (along with it being badly placed).

Here's the GarageLine pedal spacer I was talking about : http://www.garageline.com/interior-bits/293-garage-line-2013-ford-focus-st-accelerator-pedal-mount.html

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Ringo Star Get posted:

drat that's a great deal too. If I wasn't so antsy about my warranty I'dve nabbed it.

I heard with the AP you can change how the throttle response is and so forth, which for some reason the FoST has a weirdly sluggish gas pedal (along with it being badly placed).

Here's the GarageLine pedal spacer I was talking about : http://www.garageline.com/interior-bits/293-garage-line-2013-ford-focus-st-accelerator-pedal-mount.html

With AccessTuner you can adjust almost a countless number of things, but if you 'just' get the AP you get the OTS maps. These aren't as aggressive as if it was a custom tune, but even they made a literal night and day difference on my FiST. Surprisingly, it also seems to give better MPG in normal day to day driving.

I highly recommend one, even if you don't do any racing. I'm not too worried about the warranty aspect, I imagine even if the dealership would want to deny a claim because the AP, if it was appealed to the Ford corporation they would probably let it slide. A ST with only one mod is peanuts compared to almost every Mustang ever sold

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Ringo Star Get posted:

Ugh, that's the rev hang feature. It gets better in sport mode, but it's still definitely present.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

KakerMix posted:

I'd be very surprised if the RS is priced higher than the Golf R. Maybe at the same price sure, but beyond it? If it is then the RS is going to be marketed as a collectors item and they'll sell them all anyway.

This is what I'm thinking. If the base model FoRS is about 33/34k then I would consider it over a base model Golf R, but I think in the end I'd take the Golf R. The Golf has plenty of go fast for me, and as a daily driver for a 35+ yr old guy I think the Golf is probably more comfortable and less 'flash'.

If the RS is more than the Golf... well then I for sure would take the Golf.

There is some number, probably like 32k that if I could get a base RS for then it would be a slam dunk over the Golf, but I just don't see that happening. [nor should it really, the RS looks amazing and I think its worth more, in general, than 32k, just not more to me with my specific requirements.]

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BoostCreep posted:

That's interesting. When I test drove a 14 FiST and FoST back to back, the Fiesta felt like a perfect package - ergonomics, clutch, brakes, everything was totally in sync. The Focus felt like a clumsy turbo engine shoehorned into a stock Focus with a heavier clutch installed. I drove the Fiesta, then the Focus, then the Fiesta again and bought it on the spot. To each his own.

Also my Fiesta has painted wheels, NAV, no sunroof, and recaros. The NAV is worthless, but I prefer the touch screen over the other stereo option.

I find the clutch on the Focus to be obnoxious, but at this point I'm used to it.

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.

tijag posted:

This is what I'm thinking. If the base model FoRS is about 33/34k then I would consider it over a base model Golf R, but I think in the end I'd take the Golf R. The Golf has plenty of go fast for me, and as a daily driver for a 35+ yr old guy I think the Golf is probably more comfortable and less 'flash'.

If the RS is more than the Golf... well then I for sure would take the Golf.

There is some number, probably like 32k that if I could get a base RS for then it would be a slam dunk over the Golf, but I just don't see that happening. [nor should it really, the RS looks amazing and I think its worth more, in general, than 32k, just not more to me with my specific requirements.]

In the same boat at the moment. I am really wanting a new hatchback and its now at the FoST, FoRS, or the GolfR. With the state of annoyance with my current car, I would rather buy sooner than later. Having never owned a VW, what is the state of their cars right now (Golf GTI/Golf R) in the US? Any mid-to-long term big issues that will have me at the mechanic on a regular basis?

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

CodeJanitor posted:

In the same boat at the moment. I am really wanting a new hatchback and its now at the FoST, FoRS, or the GolfR. With the state of annoyance with my current car, I would rather buy sooner than later. Having never owned a VW, what is the state of their cars right now (Golf GTI/Golf R) in the US? Any mid-to-long term big issues that will have me at the mechanic on a regular basis?

The Golf R is made in Germany, with all the EU Golf R's. I don't know anything about the reliability of them. The GTI for the US is made in Mexico, and although they had some slight issues initially coming off the line, I think overall the quality has been fine.

These high output 2.0L 4 cyl engines seem like potential for failure. Putting a lot more stress/pressure on the components. But, that's just my view looking in.

I like the idea of a 2.3L 4 cyl in the RS, seems like some extra displacement helping with output is a good idea when you're 300HP+. The drivetrain of the RS looks amazing. I'd much rather have the interior/ext of the Golf. So it will come down to pricing, and how much I would rather the more reserved vehicle.

FoST vs. GTI is no contest for me. The GTI is soooo much nicer [in SE trim] vs a FoST in ST2/ST3 trim. We'll see how true that holds in the FoRS vs Golf R varietals.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I find the clutch on the Focus to be obnoxious, but at this point I'm used to it.

The clutch was what pushed the fiesta over the too for me. It felt awful on the focus. That and the nearly $4k swing in price.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

tijag posted:

The Golf R is made in Germany, with all the EU Golf R's. I don't know anything about the reliability of them. The GTI for the US is made in Mexico, and although they had some slight issues initially coming off the line, I think overall the quality has been fine.

These high output 2.0L 4 cyl engines seem like potential for failure. Putting a lot more stress/pressure on the components. But, that's just my view looking in.

I like the idea of a 2.3L 4 cyl in the RS, seems like some extra displacement helping with output is a good idea when you're 300HP+. The drivetrain of the RS looks amazing. I'd much rather have the interior/ext of the Golf. So it will come down to pricing, and how much I would rather the more reserved vehicle.

FoST vs. GTI is no contest for me. The GTI is soooo much nicer [in SE trim] vs a FoST in ST2/ST3 trim. We'll see how true that holds in the FoRS vs Golf R varietals.

why does having bigger holes in the block seem like a good idea from a materials and stress perspective

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

why does having bigger holes in the block seem like a good idea from a materials and stress perspective

Less boost needed to get similar power?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ford is willing to warranty a tune that adds 90ft/lbs of torque to the 2.0 in the ST. I would say they have confidence in the capability of the engine.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

tijag posted:

The 2.0 in the R is a different engine than the GTI. It has beefed up internals, a different head and bigger turbo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

tijag posted:

Less boost needed to get similar power?

Marginally, perhaps.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
for McQueen's reference and in order to not feel the wrath of mod: SA-Mart thread for my accessport.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

whitey delenda est posted:

for McQueen's reference and in order to not feel the wrath of mod: SA-Mart thread for my accessport.

I was just going to ask if a Cobb V2 for $310 shipped was a good deal, I'm guessing hell no....

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

BrownieVK posted:

I was just going to ask if a Cobb V2 for $310 shipped was a good deal, I'm guessing hell no....

Reckon it's as good a deal as it's worth to you and the dude selling it, once my car goes back to the lot sometime next week that AP is just a shiny plastic box. Happy to help a goon out.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The jack slipped when I was changing my summer wheels and putting my winters on. Dented the gently caress out of my rocker, just found out its going to be 150 bucks to fix it :( Wonder if the dealer would notice it when I go to trade it in.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

veedubfreak posted:

The jack slipped when I was changing my summer wheels and putting my winters on. Dented the gently caress out of my rocker, just found out its going to be 150 bucks to fix it :( Wonder if the dealer would notice it when I go to trade it in.

Depends on the dealer. I had one practically waterboard me when one of the rubber protectors inside the engine bay came off of one of the fenders on my WRX. They thought that it was a replacement panel, and wanted to know where I wrecked, who fixed it, why didn't it come up on the vehicle history report, etc etc. Meanwhile, another dealer shrugged off a baseball-sized dent on the other side right on a body crease and told me that it wouldn't effect the resale price and didn't even lower their offer.

Edit: Engine bay, not engine

Manawski fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 14, 2015

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
I always get a free waterboarding session with any trip to the dealership.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BrownieVK posted:

I always get a free waterboarding session with any trip to the dealership.

I had a dealer rake me over the coals for a rocker trim piece that started to come off and the fuel gauge sensor. They swore up and down that I must have bottomed the car out and that the items were related so they wouldn't cover it. After some back and forth they agreed to cover it out of "goodwill".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Bovril Delight posted:

After some back and forth they agreed to cover it out of "goodwill".

"Goodwill" my rear end. There's a passive aggressive way of agreeing to fix something if I've ever seen one. gently caress the dealers who pull this poo poo and act like they're doing you a huge favor while covering poo poo they should be fixing anyway.

And screw the dealer network in general, nothing but the scum of the earth. Friendliest faces when they're suckering you in and an absolute poo poo show afterwards. Predatory service techniques, downright lying about service intervals, and always deny liability when they gently caress up. There's a special level of hell for those incompetent fucks.