Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

cool. maybe its being developed for the ps3 + just ported over to ps4 for the sake of having it on both consoles

That's exactly the case. It was announced for PS3 originally and I think they only decided to port it to PS4 later on because the PS4 sold really well and lots of people got rid of their PS3s when they got it (or never had a PS3 at all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Thanks for the new pics, all.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

i was hoping that the ps4 version wouldnt have a bunch of stuff missing in the ps3 version since i bought my ps3 in the first place when p5 was first announced..

same

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
apparently that Persona 4 dancing game's going to have some kind of bonus disc that has a Persona 5 movie or something.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

CharlestonJew posted:

apparently that Persona 4 dancing game's going to have some kind of bonus disc that has a Persona 5 movie or something.

I'll probably watch it on youtube.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm not going to play it but apparently the guy who made the music for all the Silent Hill games is doing a few remix tracks so I'm looking forward to listening to them on youtube.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

teh epic dancing gaem :neckbeard:

gently caress off.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't care at all about the dancing game, and it's weird to me how hype people are for it.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't care at all about the dancing game, and it's weird to me how hype people are for it.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
whats wrong with rhythm games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I like rhythm games and I like persona music. Problem?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think it's bad that people want to play the game, I just think the level of excitement I see surrounding it is weird.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't think it's bad that people want to play the game, I just think the level of excitement I see surrounding it is weird.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
lol you mean you wanna play a stupid rhythm game? its merely BASED off the very stylish and insanely win anime high school dating rpg that me and all the other impers love. what a loser haha!

Dec 26, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

i dont care about it, but its not weird that other people do

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
y is this thread so miserable. its freaking persona 5

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
persona 5 is going to be great, like all personas before it. amen.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

I.N.R.I posted:

y is this thread so miserable. its freaking persona 5

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
this game looks stylish and boring

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

thuly posted:

this game looks stylish and boring

hmmmm. nope. nice try dumbass.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
there's one thing I want to grind playing a dating sim and its not levels

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

that's cool, i'll be leveling up like crazy and becoming incredibly powerful while you jerk your dick. thats fine, its good for me

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

I genuinely hope it's a good game and people that arnt too old for this poo poo have fun

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

thuly posted:

I genuinely hope it's a good game and people that arnt too old for this poo poo have fun

i bet this guy plays dota/blizzard games, lol

Dec 26, 2012

thuly posted:

nobody is too old for this

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Yeah I like diablo. Dota is trash garbage.

I just don't get the smt-verse. There's this rainbow coalition of mythological creatures that JoJo up with animes because ???

I played like 15 hours of the second sRPG on DS and I'm not really sure what was going on other than vaguely apocalyptic seventh-herald-sounds stuff going on but nobody relevant was dying and my dude was an rear end in a top hat with a possessed computer, and dating sim sections were some alternate advancement path.

people with generally good opinions keep saying its good but gently caress if i can tell why

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

SMT is a pretty big franchise which several different series under it. It sounds like you didn't really like the Devil Survivor games and might not enjoy the Persona series, but you should probably check out the main series (1, 2, Nocturne, and 4) or Digital Devil Saga. They're more traditional RPGs in terms of structure, but they share a lot of the same elements.

Dec 26, 2012

thuly posted:

I just don't get the smt-verse. There's this rainbow coalition of mythological creatures that JoJo up with animes because ???

I played like 15 hours of the second sRPG on DS and I'm not really sure what was going on other than vaguely apocalyptic seventh-herald-sounds stuff going on but nobody relevant was dying and my dude was an rear end in a top hat with a possessed computer, and dating sim sections were some alternate advancement path.

people with generally good opinions keep saying its good but gently caress if i can tell why

try the first devil survivor, i didnt really like the second's plot

the gameplay of both is solid though

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

thuly posted:

then why are you in the thread about Persona 5

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

thuly posted:

thats a completely different game -_-

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

what's up fags, just here to drop some by-the-numbers GBS style pwns on this thread, then imma post sincerely about not 'getting it', lmao

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

thuly posted:

Because the mythological creatures the characters summon in Persona games aren't real--they're projections of the characters' personalities. They're tapping into the power of the unconscious mind and it comes in the form of powerful and durable mythological ideas like deities, monsters, demons, etc. Like, when the main character of Persona 4 summons Izanagi to shoot lightning, he's not summoning, like, the actual mythological deity. (I realize this doesn't actually sound much better but whatever.)

In the mainline SMT games, it's because all the mythological creatures are demons and the main character negotiates with them to recruit them and then uses a computer to mash them up to make other demons and it owns. This has the side effect of classifying angels as another type of demon which is cool because as it turns out the forces of law and chaos are all assholes anyway.

Devil Survivor isn't super indicative of the rest of the series

why am i putting so much effort into this post gently caress

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

because I want to like what's going on with it but can't figure out even where to start with it

having this army of minor goddesses and demons and fabled spirits sounds so cool

its just baffling that i look at the trailer for 5 and like every single design element but just can't give a single gently caress about another japanese teenager story

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Harrow posted:

Because the mythological creatures the characters summon in Persona games aren't real--they're projections of the characters' personalities. They're tapping into the power of the unconscious mind and it comes in the form of powerful and durable mythological ideas like deities, monsters, demons, etc. Like, when the main character of Persona 4 summons Izanagi to shoot lightning, he's not summoning, like, the actual mythological deity. (I realize this doesn't actually sound much better but whatever.)

In the mainline SMT games, it's because all the mythological creatures are demons and the main character negotiates with them to recruit them and then uses a computer to mash them up to make other demons and it owns. This has the side effect of classifying angels as another type of demon which is cool because as it turns out the forces of law and chaos are all assholes anyway.

thats actually way better and if they actually explore either of those concepts in a remotely mature way it sounds like it kicks rear end

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

we don't know poo poo about the story other than the fact that yeah, they're Japanese teenagers, but also they apparently use their Persona powers to be vigilante cat-burglars who wear sweet masks and shoot demons in the face with guns that apparently shoot mind bullets. Not sure if that's a normal Japanese teenager story

maybe don't play Persona 4, though, you'd probably hate that

Try one of the mainline SMT games like Nocturne for PS2 or something. Okay so you play as a Japanese teenager but also the world ends like ten minutes into the game and you're half-demon and all your party members are demons who you con into joining you and then mash together to make other demons and then go and do lots of demon-murder together.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

thuly posted:

thats actually way better and if they actually explore either of those concepts in a remotely mature way it sounds like it kicks rear end

Oh actually try the Persona 2 games (if you've got access to playing PSP games you can play Innocent Sin like that, then Eternal Punishment was translated for PS1), because they go really hard into the characters' psychology. The plot mostly happens because rumors start coming true and everything goes insane because of it.

Persona 3/4 do have that life-sim aspect to them which might put you off a bit, but they do also have their moments of psychological craziness, especially Persona 3.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Or try the Digital Devil Saga games for PS2. THey don't have the "catch and fuse demons" stuff but they're games in which you play as a group of people who turn into demons and literally eat other people who turn into demons for power and it is exactly as great as it sounds. Also it's just absolutely soaked in hindu myth

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

I.N.R.I posted:

thats a completely different game -_-

Wtf

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

yospos biotch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
who else besides japanese teenagers would even have the ability to summon demons and mythological creatures? dumbass

• Locked thread