Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The boom gates on our level crossings are built much tougher than those flexible poles in that video. We only have two gates per crossing though except on certain spots which have too high a rate of people driving around them.

darknrgy posted:

There's a crossing near me that people get "stuck" on every single time I drive through there at rush hour because they didn't wait for the far side to clear. This is a crossing where Amtrak blows by at what looks like about 60 mph. I concluded that there must be different speed restrictions for rush hour because otherwise there'd be a fatality every other day.

There's definitely a severe speed restriction on my commuter line between two certain stations because of a notoriously "dangerous" level crossing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

atomicthumbs posted:

You'd think they'd be built with spring-loaded hinges so it could pivot away from the tracks when pushed.

The Half Arm Barriers (Boom Gates) are designed to be a sacrificial component, they should break before they damage the mechanism. They are usually made of wood or, these days, fibreglass box section.

ijustam posted:

Don't the gates go up if they run into pretty much any resistance?

Gates only motor up when requested basically (i.e. when the crossing is no longer occupied); the fail safe position for any barrier mechanism is down. Barriers aren't driven for the entirety of their traverse either, the motor is mainly used at the beginning and the end of the movement, the rest is under gravity. So when a barrier collides with a vehicle chances are that it is falling under gravity and will come to a rest against whatever it has struck. :science:

The will be slight variances depending on what barrier mechanism is being used and the design principles of the particular railway; but this is are generally how they operate.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I know of a crossing that has an extra sign with LED letters saying "keep crossing clear if there is a traffic jam". There are road intersections on both sides of this crossing and during rush hour things get quite busy. Surprisingly few accidents happen. But pretty much all trains stop at the station right next to the crossing, so speeds tend to be low.

A high school kid once crawled underneath the barriers right after train had passed. But it's a double track line. That train was blocking his view of the train coming from the other direction. He did not live to tell the tale. He was apparently trying to race his classmates to school on their bicycles. There are six signs on each side of the crossing that say "wait for the red lights to go out, another train may still be coming". Even if they placed twenty of those signs, I'm not sure that would've helped.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Same thing happened in a city that neighbors the one I live in a few years ago - a teenage girl crossed just as one train ended and walked right in front of an oncoming train going the opposite direction. Despite a bunch of outrage from the community they oddly didn't post any signs at the crossing saying "wait until all tracks are clear to proceed."

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

gently caress your snow, Canada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yja2VmZOfdA

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I've seen something really stupid in-person at a level crossing. I was waiting on the platform and saw some dumbass in an SUV drive up onto the tracks rather than wait on his side of the crossing, when traffic stops and he's stuck stopped right over both lines. And in the distance is a train at the next station. Now, granted, there's maybe a KM or two between the stations, and the crossing's right by my station so the train would be slowing down anyway, but god drat could it have still gone so wrong. Express trains use the line as well (or even worse, a big-rear end bi-daily train carrying metal sheet rolls), and those things power straight through.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
People are supposed to plan ahead? Have you seen the general population's driving habit? They react to the moment just like an insect. Not to what may happen.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Sloppy reporting by idiots who don't know anything about cars, that's not a jeep and you can clearly see the mercedes logo on some of the wheels. Here's an article that properly identifies it: http://news.yahoo.com/commuter-train-slams-suv-tracks-killing-7-people-073614863.html

(no loss if it was an idiot driving a new cherokee, though... aside from the train and passengers. Poor bastards, wish idiots didn't make innocent people suffer for their stupidity.)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
People need to get a grip on the forces involved:

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Cross posting from the Dumb Moves in Marketing thread.

Stick Insect posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E5vnmLMSnM

At the end of the vid, the dude taking all the risks reveals that he has a donated heart. The campaign was to get people to decide whether they want to be an organ donor or not. "Are you already a donor?"

This ad was pulled after complaints from train drivers who get heart attacks from people pulling stunts like the dude does at the beginning of the vid :v:

The controversy was probably fully intentional. There was even a bit of hype regarding the fact famous director Dick Maas made the ad. The controversy certainly made the news and everyone talked about it.

But effective? I can imagine someone going "nope, not gonna be a donor because my organs would extend the life of a guy like him, who clearly doesn't appreciate or deserve them".

It was part of a campaign funded by the Dutch Ministry of Health.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Their message must have gotten lost in translation, I thought it was some reverse-psychology from the National Safety Council. "Go ahead, jump in front of that train or take a swim across the shipping canal, there are people out there who could use your organs."

Frankly, if I were waiting on a heart transplant, I'd love for it to come from someone that athletic.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I currently live less than a kilometre from an industrial rail crossing and manage to 'catch' a really long train at least twice a week. I never move off until the bells and lights have stopped and always get honked at by idiots behind me. Worse is when I'm a few cars back and have to sit and watch as these idiots drive off immediately the boom starts to life because they can't wait a few seconds to make sure they're not going to be collected by a few thousand tonnes of metal.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
http://www.joc.com/rail-intermodal/canadian-pacific-engineers-strike-talks-fail_20150215.html
cp engineers strike

quote:

A Teamsters union representing more than 3,000 Canadian Pacific Railway locomotive engineers and conductors walked off the job after failing to reach an agreement by the midnight deadline on Feb. 14.

Teamsters Canada Rail Conference (TCRC) members went on strike as urgent last-minute talks failed to meet their contract demands. The work stoppage is expected to result in reduced freight services.

However, even as the Teamsters walked out, a threatened strike by CP’s 1,800-member Unifor was averted when the union reached an agreement with management in Montreal. Unifor members conduct safety inspections on rail cars and locomotives and perform maintenance and repairs.

The Unifor agreement was reached in Montreal minutes before the midnight deadline. "This was a very difficult set of negotiations, but I'm pleased that we were able to break new ground in several different areas," Unifor national president Jerry Dias said in statement.

Details of the tentative agreement are being withheld pending ratification by the Unifor membership.

"After months of negotiating, we have agreed on a deal that is fair to all stakeholders," E. Hunter Harrison, CP's chief executive officer said in a statement. "We look forward to a successful ratification vote and to working together with our Unifor colleagues in driving CP forward."

CP’s talks with the Teamsters broke down over working conditions, namely CP’s refusal to honor collective agreements requiring train crews to rest after 10 straight hours of work, union president Doug Finnson said in a statement issued before the strike. He also accused the railroad of not giving the majority of union members “accurate information on when they are required to work.”

CP said would implement an “extensive contingency plan” by deploying qualified management employees to maintain a reduced freight service on its Canadian network. The railroad pledged to work with its customers to advise on how the work stoppage will affect them.

As the likelihood of a Teamsters’ strike mounted in the run up to the Feb. 14 midnight deadline, the Canadian government said it would do whatever it could to prevent the economy being damaged by a work stoppage.

During the 2012 labor unrest, legislation was passed by Ottawa forcing an end to a nine-day strike by 4,800 striking union members and CP employees. Back then it was estimated that a strike would cost the Canadian economy $540 million a week.

Meanwhile, the largest railroad in the country, Canadian National (CN), has reached a tentative labor agreement with the TCRC that represents 1,800 of the company's locomotive engineers in Canada.

The deal will be put to a ratification vote by mid-April, when results will be made public, CN said in a statement.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

quote:

CP’s talks with the Teamsters broke down over working conditions, namely CP’s refusal to honor collective agreements requiring train crews to rest after 10 straight hours of work, union president Doug Finnson said in a statement issued before the strike. He also accused the railroad of not giving the majority of union members “accurate information on when they are required to work.”

:stare: How do the passengers feel about this? Or people living in towns that trains with dangerous goods travel through?

quote:

deploying qualified management employees to maintain a reduced freight service
:confused: ex-engineers that now have a desk job?

vains
May 26, 2004

Stick Insect posted:

:stare: How do the passengers feel about this? Or people living in towns that trains with dangerous goods travel through?
:confused: ex-engineers that now have a desk job?
edit: CP does barely any passenger operations. None of the class 1s have any significant passenger operations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_foreman_of_engines

vains fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 15, 2015

Skeeber
Jul 13, 2006

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

cp engineers strike

Not just engineers, conductors and yardmen too.

Makes my life a little more interesting for the next while. We operate some of their trains and use their track. That's not to mention the local short line has been locked out since January.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Stick Insect posted:

Or people living in towns that trains with dangerous goods travel through?

Generally the whole point of a strike is to force management to concede to your demands by grinding everything to a halt. If management decides to continue operations by putting non-union salaried employees to work isn't the onus for safety on them and not the striking employees?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
On Twitter that Hunter Harrison claims rail workers only work 30 hours a week and make 160k.

I'm clearly working for the wrong road because I had to work 60+ hour weeks to make just half that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

He's a railroad CEO, of course he would.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

And they're going to be legislated back to work by our Strong, Stable Conservative government. gently caress Stephen Harper.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/cp-rail-employees-on-strike-to-be-ordered-back-to-work-1.2958335

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

"gently caress you, Foamer!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npm4ElvJWJg

vains
May 26, 2004

Geoj posted:

Generally the whole point of a strike is to force management to concede to your demands by grinding everything to a halt. If management decides to continue operations by putting non-union salaried employees to work isn't the onus for safety on them and not the striking employees?

He's asking about crew rest under normal conditions. Specifically that CP refuses to budge on mandatory rest after 10 hours on duty. I imagine that they are currently allowed to work no more than 12 without mandatory rest. In the US, persons employeed in train service may not work more than 12 hours without rest.

This is an attempt to protect existing jobs and force the hire of additional employees OR a public/employee safety issue. Depends on which side of the argument you're on.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

On Twitter that Hunter Harrison claims rail workers only work 30 hours a week and make 160k.

I'm clearly working for the wrong road because I had to work 60+ hour weeks to make just half that.

link?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Its on twitter somewhere. Let me see if i can dig it up.

I'm pretty sure Canadian railroad hours of service laws are similar to the US but I'm not 100% sure. I know they are running pretty ragged with short help as well as the US roads are. Honestly the rail roads are god drat mess and its not getting any better for at least a couple of years.

vains
May 26, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its on twitter somewhere. Let me see if i can dig it up.

I'm pretty sure Canadian railroad hours of service laws are similar to the US but I'm not 100% sure. I know they are running pretty ragged with short help as well as the US roads are. Honestly the rail roads are god drat mess and its not getting any better for at least a couple of years.

The railroads all seemed to have missed the opportunity to hire/catch up on maintenance/make capital investments in 2009-2011. Now that volume is back up, its difficult to find the time without further impacting generally terrible service.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

He's asking about crew rest under normal conditions. Specifically that CP refuses to budge on mandatory rest after 10 hours on duty. I imagine that they are currently allowed to work no more than 12 without mandatory rest. In the US, persons employeed in train service may not work more than 12 hours without rest.

I read it as "striking will disrupt commuter operations and put trains operated by salaried crews hauling hazardous cargo at risk."

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

The railroads all seemed to have missed the opportunity to hire/catch up on maintenance/make capital investments in 2009-2011. Now that volume is back up, its difficult to find the time without further impacting generally terrible service.

Well its always about next quarter. Screw the future, we gotta think about tomorrow and record profits.

vains
May 26, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Well its always about next quarter. Screw the future, we gotta think about tomorrow and record profits.

meanwhile the network is 1 giant slow order

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Apparently CSX is nicknamed Chemical Spill Xpress, and it lived up to its name today. Part of a train of Bakken crude oil derailed in West Virginia and caught fire, so they have a flaming oil spill on their hands.
http://www.charlestondailymail.com/article/20150216/DM01/150219449

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Apparently CSX is nicknamed Chemical Spill Xpress, and it lived up to its name today. Part of a train of Bakken crude oil derailed in West Virginia and caught fire, so they have a flaming oil spill on their hands.

The best part was that on the cbs nightly news, the reporter standing across the river from it goes "well, csx has only said one oil car is on fire, but you can clearly see about 8 cars on fire."

Then they said something about csx using their cameras to get the numbers on the cars so they can decouple them? (??) Wouldn't you be decouple back wherever the mess starts and stops of the derail? Unless this was a term used to remove from the active rolling stock inventory.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Just ignore what ever the media says about operations... it's never accurate. Like the engineer out coupling cars and the conductor running the engines. (Unless the conductor is a set back engineer)

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

atomicthumbs posted:

You'd think they'd be built with spring-loaded hinges so it could pivot away from the tracks when pushed.

They are. Sometimes the wind plows hard enough to push them in front of, or against the train and they get shattered.

unrelated

also unrelated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEnniDMeY8I

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I sat 300 miles away for 7 hours so they can stage trains for North Platte.

Any thing with MXXNP blows

vains
May 26, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

A oil car leaking into the Kanawha river probably improved the water quality.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

This is not quite right. The CanPol thread in DnD dug into it heavily, but here is the tl:dr

There were a number of accidents on the 90's that CP blamed on driver fatigue to try to avoid insurance problems (rates going up as substandard equipment wasn't replaced/improved)
This bit them in the rear end, because they got told by the regulator to limit train crew times to ten hours
CP ignored this requirement.
The union took them to court, and the court enforced the 10 hour limit
CP also ignored this
After a bunch of fruitless negotiation with the union, CP refused to budge.
A government moderator was called in, and his first act was to tell the union to suck it up and stop whining. (The Conservative government is very anti-union)
The union went to court, and got the right to strike
And is now on strike.

The PR from the union has been terrible, and pretty much every news agency is straight up re-running CP press releases without editing or fact checking. As you can imagine, the whole public perception is now horribly skewed and one sided.

This whole situation isn't helped by CP being unable to make a crew schedule that looks further out than maybe 48 hours, so nobody in the unions know if they will have shift tomorrow or nothing until next week/month. Very frequently, you just suddenly get a call to be on a train in 2 hours. It makes complaints about rest much worse and ensures the relationship between supervisors and crews is absolute poison.

Back to work legislation will also be immediately struck down by the courts, as the Supreme Court has had several cases covering the right to strike over the last 5 years and has been very pro right to strike, and lower courts have followed this lead.

Overall, it awful, but this strike isn't even about wages/money and all everyone can bleat about is how greedy unions are destroying the economy. It's comedy as tragedy for sure.

vains
May 26, 2004

EoRaptor posted:

This whole situation isn't helped by CP being unable to make a crew schedule that looks further out than maybe 48 hours, so nobody in the unions know if they will have shift tomorrow or nothing until next week/month. Very frequently, you just suddenly get a call to be on a train in 2 hours. It makes complaints about rest much worse and ensures the relationship between supervisors and crews is absolute poison.

I don't think this is a unique issue to CP and not something solely something that lies at the feet of management.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
There's always going to be variability with this line of work. But what used to irk me is I'd be lined up for an 8 am train, go to bed at 10pm and get woken up at 1am for a train that just appeared out of no where.

I'm fine with the schedule, its giving me something that I can work with is my beef.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I sat 300 miles away for 7 hours so they can stage trains for North Platte.

Any thing with MXXNP blows

I cannot upvote a single post but if I could..

QXXNP too as well

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
worth a read

http://www.propertycasualty360.com/2013/08/23/slideshow-technical-analysis-of-a-train-derailment

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Insurance Site posted:

Figure 1 to the left is a view of a rail failure that occurred at the lead truck (front wheels) of a diesel locomotive on a private rail siding.

Fortunately, main lines are tested continuously by companies like Sperry which has ultrasonic equipment that would pick up a crack well before it got to the stage like you see in the picture. If any cracks are found, depending on the type of crack and severity, the tracks are slow ordered or put out of service until the rail is replaced. Private tracks, especially industrial sidings with low speeds, I doubt they get much more than a visual check every quarter or so. The base and the web at the break are pretty rusted, so that crack had been progressing for quite a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

Given the fresh steel only at the head of the rail, that crack had been there for a bloody long time before it failed.