Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He's delusional in that he sincerely believes that anyone is going to care about his lovely book series once the TV series is finished.

the fans are delusional for thinking that after making so much money on the books and show AND now having the show capable of finishing the story for him; that he has any motivation left to write. dude is riding off into the sunset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

You know, when the TV show changed the line Gregor said about killing a kid to killing two kids, I that it was a tell about them not having Aegon on the show. That and no Rhaegar in the houses of the holy.

Turns out they were just getting rid of Lorch.

Who's exited for the DVD?!?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So while poking around Rotten Tomatoes there was an article about Kit Harrington talking about ASOIAF fans being mean to Martin. It just sort of made me wonder...are all the actors under contract to not give any criticism, or are they just too focused on their own lives to realize they're complete misconstruing our issues?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Cornwind Evil posted:

So while poking around Rotten Tomatoes there was an article about Kit Harrington talking about ASOIAF fans being mean to Martin. It just sort of made me wonder...are all the actors under contract to not give any criticism, or are they just too focused on their own lives to realize they're complete misconstruing our issues?

It could just be Kit Harrington being an idiot. He does play one on TV...

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Only Kit.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Glad to see Kit getting into the internet justice game. I am hopeful he takes a stand on manspreading soon as it is a more pressing issue in these turbulent times.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
GURM is claiming that the TV show is going to kill off characters not yet dead in the books. Also that he's not sure how many more seasons the series has, he figures could be up to nine, which seems to me high.

http://m.ie.ign.com/articles/2015/02/16/george-rr-martin-warns-of-upcoming-game-of-thrones-tv-show-deaths

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

HidaO-Win posted:

Also that he's not sure how many more seasons the series has, he figures could be up to nine, GURM is high.

ftfy

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

quote:

“I have no information on likely delivery,” HarperCollins' Jane Johnson told The Guardian. “These are increasingly complex books and require immense amounts of concentration to write. Fans really ought to appreciate that the length of these monsters is equivalent to two or three novels by other writers.”
lol

How many novels has Terry Pratchett churned out since AFFC?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The length of these monsters

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Fog Tripper posted:

lol

It's been three or four since he found out he was dying of particularly agressive Alzheimer's.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It's pretty hilarious to that Sanderson's likely to finish the entirety of the Stormlight Archives before GURM finishes ASOIAF.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

bobjr posted:

I wonder if we'll get any blogs from the GRRM about how this season did things wrong.

I doubt it. He's very supportive of the team behind GoT at HBO and just loves it all. He loves the actors, seems to be friendly with the creative team of GoT and if there's anything different he'll just note it as creative freedom, the different demands of the medium, etc. Sorry for the boring response.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

The length of these monsters

And fat pink monsters to boot

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

CountFosco posted:

I doubt it. He's very supportive of the team behind GoT at HBO and just loves it all. He loves the actors, seems to be friendly with the creative team of GoT and if there's anything different he'll just note it as creative freedom, the different demands of the medium, etc. Sorry for the boring response.

do you work for got?

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
Is it just me or hasn't there been any interviews/articles lately where Gurm is talking about the pressure he is feeling regarding the fact that the TV show is catching up to the books? I just find it curious. It's almost like he has already given up...

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Fog Tripper posted:

lol

Erikson churned out ten books averaging over 1000 pages per over a just under twelve year period despite more complex plotting and a significantly vaster cast of characters. Sanderson probably writes even faster, though the material is mostly simpler. But let's all be grateful to the fat gently caress for deigning to even turn on his typewriter or whatever the hell archaic machine it is that he insists on using once a month.

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's pretty hilarious to that Sanderson's likely to finish the entirety of the Stormlight Archives before GURM finishes ASOIAF.

Before GURM dies, you mean (sorry, Kit!). One of the interesting things to me in this debacle is that, when GotM first came out, it was, if not revolutionary, then certainly fairly novel in its weaving of typical fantasy themes with more gritty, realistic worlds and outcomes, and influenced probably most of the well known, quality fantasy authors around today. But GURM has taken so drat long, that in the process, most of these authors have blown right by him in terms of their exploration of darker and more complex fantasy, to the point that it seems like very little of what Martin could do in the books/years he's got left that wouldn't end up being a rehashing of the very authors he influenced in the first place. It probably doesn't, since he's rich and he's got a TV series, etc..., but I sort of hope that grates on him. Not because he's taken as long as he has, but because he's been such a defensive little bitch about it.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 17, 2015

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

OhYeah posted:

Is it just me or hasn't there been any interviews/articles lately where Gurm is talking about the pressure he is feeling regarding the fact that the TV show is catching up to the books? I just find it curious. It's almost like he has already given up...

He probably doesn't actually feel any pressure. If the show finishes ahead of him, and if he decides he actually wants to finish the novels and we get a final book 12 years from now on, it's not as if people will not buy it and read it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Remember that he gets tons of book sales as long as the show is on/popular. Every year I still see people reading new copies of his books.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

You know, when the show first started, I kept recommending that new show watchers read the books. These days I just tell people to watch the show. Not because I don't want them buying the books, but because it seems like there's no point.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
The show has already killed off a character still alive in the books, like, uh.. fan favorite Jojen Reed.

I guess this means Bronn's gonna die, because I don't really see him playing a huge role even in the books and he's hoping around with Jaime. Thats lame.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

computer parts posted:

Remember that he gets tons of book sales as long as the show is on/popular. Every year I still see people reading new copies of his books.

I work on a plane and see people reading these books almost every day especially when the show is on. You might be surprised how many new readers haven't watched the show yet.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Show or no show, I'm going to read the books when they come out. I've read all of them so far, I'm not going to stop just because the show gets there first or does it differently.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm going to read all of the books that come out, and I'm also not going to read any of them.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Jojen is Azor Ahai. You hosed up, HBO.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Asiina posted:

Show or no show, I'm going to read the books when they come out. I've read all of them so far, I'm not going to stop just because the show gets there first or does it differently.

It'll be sort of interesting to see whether, if/when the show eclipses the books completely, the books Martin eventually puts out (assuming he does) follow the show or go in a different direction.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Habibi posted:

It'll be sort of interesting to see whether, if/when the show eclipses the books completely, the books Martin eventually puts out (assuming he does) follow the show or go in a different direction.

For some reason I want him to write the Brienne/Sandor fight.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
"gently caress this Cleganebowl poo poo, I'm writin' that instead."

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Habibi posted:

One of the interesting things to me in this debacle is that, when GotM first came out, it was, if not revolutionary, then certainly fairly novel in its weaving of typical fantasy themes with more gritty, realistic worlds and outcomes, and influenced probably most of the well known, quality fantasy authors around today. But GURM has taken so drat long, that in the process, most of these authors have blown right by him in terms of their exploration of darker and more complex fantasy, to the point that it seems like very little of what Martin could do in the books/years he's got left that wouldn't end up being a rehashing of the very authors he influenced in the first place.

yeah, this part is interesting. I used to feel bad for him - its sort of like Duke Nukem Forever... the rest of the world caught up, and surpassed what you are capable of, and nothing you could possibly create will match the hype. that is i used to feel bad for him, until I came to terms with his absolute fuckery, and the fact that his cash money money keeps rolling in from the hbo series, plus inevitable merch, movies, and extra poo poo this IP will spawn for the next decade. He could probably just retire at this point.

edit: abolute fucker got himself a personal stylist or something:

kcroy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 17, 2015

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Only so many ways to dress a corpse.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

No Turtle; not my Gurm.

quote:

I work on a plane and see people reading these books almost every day especially when the show is on.

As a personal aside, I just realized it was in early January 2006 that I first picked up AGoT while on a trip to Vancouver, seeing the remants of all the the AFfC promotions and saying 'oh yeah, my roomate had these on his shelf, this guy is supposed to be pretty good, I'll check it out.' I read the first few chapters while sick with a cold on a flight to Montreal a few days later, thinking ice zombies and stag/wolf symbolism was way too heavy, and passing out thinking I'd pick it up again later. I did, about 4-5 months later after moving to Van, getting to 'the things I do for love,' and getting loving hooked.

Ah yes, only 9 short years ago.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SaviourX posted:

As a personal aside, I just realized it was in early January 2006 that I first picked up AGoT while on a trip to Vancouver, seeing the remants of all the the AFfC promotions and saying 'oh yeah, my roomate had these on his shelf, this guy is supposed to be pretty good, I'll check it out.' I read the first few chapters while sick with a cold on a flight to Montreal a few days later, thinking ice zombies and stag/wolf symbolism was way too heavy, and passing out thinking I'd pick it up again later. I did, about 4-5 months later after moving to Van, getting to 'the things I do for love,' and getting loving hooked.

Ah yes, only 9 short years ago.

Same, except ADWD, my friend was hooked into the series and got me into it too.

I actually remember buying that fifth book at an airport in Utah because we were flying back from vacation.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I picked this poo poo up after giving up on WoT, shortly before Storm of Swords came out, in mid-2000. :stare:

What the gently caress.

Also, looking up publication dates, I noticed Wikipedia lists Winds of Winter and Dream of Spring as "forthcoming."

Merriam-Webster defines "forthcoming" as, "appearing, happening, or arriving soon."

:lol:

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Steven Erikson is the fantasy author I always bring up when dropping a deuce on GRRM. The guy wrote ten (10!!!) books in twelve years, and five of those books were between the release of AffC and ADwD. Each of the books is as long and as complex as the ASoIaF books, and there is no drop in quality between them (if you like his writing, then you like all ten of the books). And despite telling a long-rear end story, each of the books had it's own plot with its own climax and conclusions. Even more funny, is that Erikson is still writing new stuff. Remember that big world building book they just released for GRRM's books? Remember how cool all those little blurbs were, but how there is no chance the fucker will ever write about those strange far away lands? Erikson is doing that. He is following up on all those neat world-building threads from his books, and is writing entirely new stories set in the same vibrant world. It's loving cool.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Can't be too mad at Kit. Being properly aggrieved with GRRM and this series takes a lot of reading and time.

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Steven Erikson is the fantasy author I always bring up when dropping a deuce on GRRM. The guy wrote ten (10!!!) books in twelve years, and five of those books were between the release of AffC and ADwD. Each of the books is as long and as complex as the ASoIaF books, and there is no drop in quality between them (if you like his writing, then you like all ten of the books). And despite telling a long-rear end story, each of the books had it's own plot with its own climax and conclusions. Even more funny, is that Erikson is still writing new stuff. Remember that big world building book they just released for GRRM's books? Remember how cool all those little blurbs were, but how there is no chance the fucker will ever write about those strange far away lands? Erikson is doing that. He is following up on all those neat world-building threads from his books, and is writing entirely new stories set in the same vibrant world. It's loving cool.

Malazan Book of the Fallen is nowhere near the quality of the first three ASOIAF books though, to be fair.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Malazan Book of the Fallen is nowhere near the quality of the first three ASOIAF books though, to be fair.

:can:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

I guess if you change the definition of 'quality.'

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

I feel that's really up to personal taste, and it's also why I included the disclaimer that if you like his storytelling then you'll like all the books.

That being said, I have soured quite a bit on ASOIAF simply because it lacks a conclusion. If the two middle books had been short speed bumps in an otherwise complete story then I probably wouldn't even remember how much I disliked them (similar to how I don't really remember the shittier parts of Malazan Book of the Fallen). Instead, however, since there is no current end to the story, I'm stuck sitting on the weird rear end ending that the latest book gave me with no satisfaction and all the problems it had staring me in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I for one cannot wait to read the hastily thrown together conclusions that GRRM writes out of spite so that the HBO show doesn't spoil the hastily thrown together books he wrote out of spite for people who read his books and guessed things correctly.