Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I vote plan cursory examination followed by repeating beacon-skull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Wait, autorifles? Machine guns? What kind of chickenshit outfit are we running anyway? We're Mechanicus damnit, and we can't even outfit our unit to the standards of a basic Cadian unit! Our guys should be sporting Hellbores or at least lasguns.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

LowellDND posted:

That would be a fun Arc, wouldn't it just :)

and he has been ever so hard to find...
We still have the genetic information of his Replicae on hand. We should probably run a quick check of it for any Tyranid DNA markers when we get the chance. If a Replicae was made of a Genestealer, they would have to show a trace of it.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Adventure!

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

Slaan posted:

B/E- Drop a radio beacon here on repeat. Once the storm clears up it can broadcast the location up to the Beast.
This.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B Dammit there's no time! loving Tyranids ruin everything.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

JT Jag posted:

We still have the genetic information of his Replicae on hand. We should probably run a quick check of it for any Tyranid DNA markers when we get the chance. If a Replicae was made of a Genestealer, they would have to show a trace of it.

Note to anyone who knows more about genestealers beyond Space Hulk - would Devries and his lot being a genestealer track with the answers his clone gave us?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Tomn posted:

Note to anyone who knows more about genestealers beyond Space Hulk - would Devries and his lot being a genestealer track with the answers his clone gave us?
So... yes and no. The reference to a "Master", in a Genestealer framework, does track. But a Genestealer probably wouldn't refer to a higher-ranked Genestealer as such. That sort of title would be reserved for the Genestealer Patriarch. And Patriarchs... tend to be visually distinctive.

I doubt one could just sit in the middle of an Imperial encampment as an active highly-ranked military leader without someone noticing.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Ten thrones says the whirlybirds are here as part of a bureaucratic fuckup. Someone mistyped a digit in some coordinates and a team put these things here then all got killed or went offworld.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

paragon1 posted:

Ten thrones says the whirlybirds are here as part of a bureaucratic fuckup. Someone mistyped a digit in some coordinates and a team put these things here then all got killed or went offworld.

The administratum loses entire planets. So, that's my standard for picking up really sweet loot that someone misfiled.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

JT Jag posted:

So... yes and no. The reference to a "Master", in a Genestealer framework, does track. But a Genestealer probably wouldn't refer to a higher-ranked Genestealer as such. That sort of title would be reserved for the Genestealer Patriarch. And Patriarchs... tend to be visually distinctive.

I doubt one could just sit in the middle of an Imperial encampment as an active highly-ranked military leader without someone noticing.

Hmm. Would it be possible that all "human" Devries are just fronts for the "real' Devries, a Patriarch kept hidden away somewhere?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Everything is possible. Not everything is likely.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Just did some poking around. Looks like genestealers should have some kind of telepathic hive mind? That would seem to go against the captured Devries and his constant attempts to defect, unless it were all a 4D chess ploy. Guess we can probably rule that out.

We should still check Devries' DNA for hints of Tyrannid crap once we get back, though, just in case.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It's unlikely that Devries is a genestealer or associated with them beyond "hey a couple guys bought guns from me." Besides the fact that the IG checks units pretty regularly, a criminal would be scrutinized even further. And that Kroot he keeps around sure as hell would notice a genstealer infectee.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

A x x x x x, x
B x x x x
C
D
E
B/E x x x

B+B/E is one vote ahead. I have tests today, so may not post, depending.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

B

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

paragon1 posted:

Yeah, a while back one of the throwaway lines was the Nallani complaining about how no one knew what the hell happened to their "Turkeys", which is the Tias term for them. Someone made a mistake.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
A

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, a while back one of the throwaway lines was the Nallani complaining about how no one knew what the hell happened to their "Turkeys", which is the Tias term for them. Someone made a mistake.

Good Catch :D

It begins posted:

Lord-Sire twisted his fingers into fists. “You may have noticed, then, that I have taken on additional passengers, more than is custom. The food riots were expected, and the casualties of Dregs well within acceptable margin. Amacita, what were the numbers?”

She frowned, reviewing them in her head. “Lord-Sire, we took on approximately one hundred thousand additional passengers, at a loss of five thousand or so Dregs. Obviously, those numbers cannot be supported for much longer. We’ve lost the recyclers, and we’re going through the food supplies originally meant for trade. Instead of Dregs paying us to feed them, we are losing money by feeding the additional passengers.”

Lord-Sire grunted. “Good. Good, we’ll make a Factotum out of you yet. The bottom line is what’s important. Now, what can you tell me about the new passengers? Limosa.”

Limosa smiled, although you could see the effort in it. You wondered what he had been doing that had worn him out. “Lord-Sire, they are Imperial Guard. The 254th Nallani Field Army. They only have small arms though - on paper, they are listed as a Mechanized force, including air support.”

“That’s right. The Munitorum swears that their gear will make it in time, by other ships. If you believe that, you can buy the world we’re orbiting, but its not our problem. Our job is to deliver one Nallani Field Army to the Hive World of Golgotha. Ohone, tell me why.”

You concealed your confusion, racked your brain. “Ah, Golgotha is one of the logistical hubs for the Sector. They primarily Tithe troops and munitions to the Crusade next door. Some sort of xeno infestation, it’s been on for a couple centuries.”

“Yes, the Vesalius Crusade. The Imperium lost the Sector before I was born, and the High Lords of Terra have decided to make a push for it. If we can get the Sarina Sector back, that means we can fold up the entire Spiral Arm. Golgotha is the key to the whole thing. Which is why,” he grunted, “It’s so unfortunate that the Xenos have punched through the lines and attacked it.”

"What would Lord-Sire do? posted:

He stared at you, annoyance in his eyes. “So… you want to take a hundred fusion bombs out of the combat line, a towship out of the supply train for a month, and all to have our civilian leadership very visibly flee the planet on a pillar of flame?”
Well, when you put it like that, anything sounds bad.

“Let me tell you everything wrong with this plan.” He began ticking on his fingers. “Its nearly one hundred kilometers from our front line to the Hive. The terrain is extremely hostile. You haven’t been to the HQ in several weeks, so you apparently don’t know this. The xeno is using weaponized earthquakes.

“We might have a regiment advancing with no contact, and within two minutes they are all gone. We’ve lost nearly two hundred thousand troops already, and the other Fronts are doing as badly. We are having to send troops underground, where they don’t have air or artillery support. Even after two months of combat, we have no idea what these xeno are or how they work.

“They never attack without overwhelming forces, usually on a tunnel group that is isolated. There are no survivors and no wounded.” He pushed some papers at you - dozens of pictures, basic analysis. Varied trauma - blunt and piercing, crushing, even acid. “We can’t fly in any major force because no one knows where the Turkey airships are. Units are vanishing without warning or explanation.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Volmarias posted:

Well we definitely need those drat birds now if we want to steal the Hive

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I bet the guys who put the Turkeys there were super proud of the good job they did too.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

LowellDND posted:

Good Catch :D

With that reminder, I'll vote a B+A: We should investigate the Turkeys until we find some radio gear, salvage it and get out asap. Once we clear the storm, we should call in their location to either the guard or Lord-Sire (I think I'd prefer the latter, but he might not have the capacity to make get them and neither may the guard. Maybe we could use the make-shift drop pods we used to supply the Kriegers to drop in some pilots?).

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

A x x x x x, x x
B x x x x x,
B/A x
C
D
E
B/E x x x

Hmm....

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Todays music: Prophecy by Frontline Assembly

Airships and Automatons

The sign was bizarrely cheerful, given the pile of bodies stacked up on it.

quote:

99th Logistics Regiment. On time, Every time!

It had the look of a wooden panel, slapped down on a thousand landing sites over the last century. Frequently refreshed paint and bright colors, the dichotomy of it surrounded by the dead was almost too surreal to stand. The bodies were stripped of their gear, scattered around them and left to settle under snow.
The bodies themselves were scavenged by animals, easy meat and fats torn from them with blunt teeth or claws.

The harsh winds had lessened here, given the sunken safety of the valley, and you and a handful of others were walking into what the map had called ‘the Graveyard.’ You had thought it might be because it was an aircraft graveyard at first, but upwards of 70% of the vehicles you had seen were in flawless condition. Instead, you simply saw dozens of footprint trails, the occasional bloodspray on snow, dead campfires with meat on spits. Something bad had happened here.

Aside from the crunch of your footsteps on frozen snow, you could hear nothing. Your weapons were slung, alert and ready to level, but there seemed no hostility here. Behind you, the convoy rumbled, your troops staying in the warm cabins as you scouted out this place. There was no need to stay here for long, and you didn’t expect to. A quick scout, in and out, and you would be on your way.

Scattered here and there were military rations, torn out and eaten. Even the gruel-like gravy had been licked clean, leaving only plastic wrapping, and you began to have an unpleasant suspicion of what had happened here. A quick check of the helicopter cabins revealed similar stories. Most were empty, but a handful held dead men with gaunt faces. They were probably the last to die, and some of them shown the signs of suicide. Bullet in the brainpan squish, and their blood was frozen on the interior windshield. Around dead campfires, hominid bones had been cracked open and the marrow eaten.

An examination of the helicopters revealed unpleasant truth. They were ready to fly, nearly all of them. But like you, the logistics team hadn’t known how to fly them…

You found two wrecks, attempts at learning. A death by burning seemed as reasonable as any other, and the tracks suggested some simply walked into the wastes. It was any guess what might have killed them there, earthquake or cold or monster. Without a map, without radio, finding the way to a nearby camp must have been impossible, even if the armies had spanned hundreds of kilometers. They would have had no direction to go, lost in circles, wilting under the twin suns.

Not much for it, really. You took a few minutes, assembled a tower. Marked a beacon, tight beam. The Beast would see it, decide what to do with hundreds of Nallani Turkeys. It was beyond the scope of your resources at the moment regardless. A final tag on the beacon: ‘Profit, minimal danger’, and you were on your way. As you drove away from the sign, and those eaten faces, you wondered if they had kin. Wondered who would tell them of the simple mistake that had killed a hundred men.

You had a map, and radios, even if the radios were short range. You drove west, entering the storm once again. Even now, it was declining, even if the full force of it was now hitting the Krieg lines. Scanning radio channels for hours, you eventually made contact. A fear that had filled your belly was vanishing - the idea that you had been abandoned on a Tyranid world. You were worth more than that, surely?

Your eyes took in the sky.

By the Omnissiah… drop pods rained like the storm that had so recently passed. More pods than you could count, more than you could comprehend. You were willing to bet you could leap from one to the next from the ground all the way to orbit, and not miss even a few steps. Millions… tens of millions. The full force of the Imperial Guard, plummeting to the outskirts of Gamma Hive.

and Gamma Hive… It dominated the sky. If Bravo was a mountain, Gamma was a god, or small moon. Even from here, it breathed activity, and flames, and slaughter. Smoke rose to the heavens, enough to block out the stars. Flying creatures swarmed the parapets like a cloud of dust, countless and overwhelming. Even from here, you could hear their shrieking. Could feel the pounding of millions of artillery shells. At the base of the Hive, you could see individual figures fighting - hundreds of meters high.

And all across the horizon, never ceasing, fusion bombs initiated like the blossoming of flowers.

What do you do?

A. Get in the fight! Find a unit and advance with it. For the Omnissiah!
B. Follow the advance waves, and go underground. There is a Magos lab somewhere and you intend to find it.
C. Time to leave. Way past time to leave. Take the next elevator into orbit.
D. Refuel your vehicles, and turn back to Bravo. This was a bad idea all around.
E. Something else

Loel fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 16, 2015

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Balls deep

get a shuttle or something spacecapable dispatched from the beast to standby here now though.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The Magos is just gonna have to deal with the fact that we couldn't find what we were looking for because loving Tyranids. It's time to get out. C.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

D-d-d-rop the Base.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

JT Jag posted:

The Magos is just gonna have to deal with the fact that we couldn't find what we were looking for because loving Tyranids. It's time to get out. C.

Those are IG drop-pods? It's the perfect time to raid, they're meatbags and will provide cover by absorbing all the deadly projectiles and other stuff.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
You know, we could message the guard about the Turkeys. I get the feeling they'd be really useful to them right now.

Of course, it would cut into our profit margins...

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
B

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

my dad posted:

You know, we could message the guard about the Turkeys. I get the feeling they'd be really useful to them right now.

Of course, it would cut into our profit margins...

Good point.

Comm the guard, tell them you found a bunch of their Turkeys, you'll sell the location to them in exchange for a full battalion clearing the way for us to the location, then covering our retreat.

Also, y'know, tell the Beast not to go investigate that beacon

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 16, 2015

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
B They don't call it war profiteering if you don't profit somehow. Also think of the wondrous things to fight in that lab.

+LCT: Comm the guard, tell them you found a bunch of their Turkeys, you'll sell the location to them in exchange for a full battalion clearing the way for us to the location, then covering our retreat.

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 16, 2015

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Good point.

Comm the guard, tell them you found a bunch of their Turkeys, you'll sell the location to them in exchange for a full battalion clearing the way for us to the location, then covering our retreat.

Voting for this.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Good point.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Good point.

Make em an offer they can't refuse!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Try to phrase it like we'd really want to do them a favor and give them all the relevant info, but we have urgent business related to the good of the Imperium down in the hive, and can't afford a delay.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

LCT seems like a pretty good idea with some spin added to it, but would the Lord-Sire be upset that we set up a beacon promising profits only to immediately turn around and trade it away for whatever it is the Magos wants, something unlikely to pay the Lord-Sire anything?

Also, the figures that are hundreds of meters high - do they look organic or mechanical? Probably giant tyrannids, but I'd love to hear that we're looking at Titans.

While we're at it, judging from what we can make out of the radio chatter, does this seem like business as usual at Gamma, or did we arrive right in the middle of a major offensive?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tomn posted:

Also, the figures that are hundreds of meters high - do they look organic or mechanical? Probably giant tyrannids, but I'd love to hear that we're looking at Titans.

Both.

quote:

While we're at it, judging from what we can make out of the radio chatter, does this seem like business as usual at Gamma, or did we arrive right in the middle of a major offensive?

Major offensive. Alpha has been conquered, so all troops from there, and all reserve forces in orbit, are being dropped on Gamma.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Oh boy, a Titan vs Bio-Titan fight is not something we want to be running around in.

At least that means the Adeptus Mechanicus' Collegia Titanicus is on the field...

Voting this

Good point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Tomn posted:

LCT seems like a pretty good idea with some spin added to it, but would the Lord-Sire be upset that we set up a beacon promising profits only to immediately turn around and trade it away for whatever it is the Magos wants, something unlikely to pay the Lord-Sire anything?

The profits were a small bump compared to the literal doubling that came from establishing a second supply line to the Krieg.

Also awwww yeaaaaaa, Titans. Let's steal one.