Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nanerpuss
Aug 6, 2005

voudrais-tu une banane, mon amie?
So a friend of mine was selling a Macbook on eBay. To prepare it, I used Disk Utility, ran erase and the person who purchased it was aware that they would have to reinstall the OS... we figured this would be trivial enough. Well, the person is being an idiot about it and demanding a $35 refund. What do you think is the best way to deal with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Did his laptop listing explicitly say "NO Operating System"

Otherwise yes that's a reasonable request, poorly document the condition of the laptop, get complaints. There's a reason why the people on ebay who have 9000 sales and 99.99% A+ ratings write a 9 page paragraph detailing every last feature or lack thereof. But if you don't care about your account rating you could just give them the finger and say "operating system was not mentioned in the ad" and eat your negative feedback.

People on ebay are pretty loving picky. Others will have their own opinions but I think it's a good system, it's what keeps it from being a complete garbage market like craigslist which is basically the wild west in comparison.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Is it better to leave a laptop unplugged if say I am using it on the couch or is it ok to leave it plugged in at 100% when im not moving around. Just don't want to damage the battery by having it plugged in at 100%. ASUS UX303LA if that helps at all.

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

I'm trying to help my mom get a new laptop, and wanted to know if anyone has any experience, or heard anything about Newegg refurbished stuff.
I'm looking at this : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834318254, which seems really good for her demands (450$ max, 14 inches, chromebooks won't do because she needs a couple of apps offline)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's built in charging circuitry. At least on the lenovos you can switch between battery maintenance mode which keeps it at around 98% and max battery life which keeps it topped off at 100%. Batteries are good for about 400 charge discharge cycles which is probably 2-4 years depending on use, don't over think it too much. Also, replacement batteries are pretty cheap these days, less than $50 usually.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Hadlock posted:

There's built in charging circuitry. At least on the lenovos you can switch between battery maintenance mode which keeps it at around 98% and max battery life which keeps it topped off at 100%. Batteries are good for about 400 charge discharge cycles which is probably 2-4 years depending on use, don't over think it too much. Also, replacement batteries are pretty cheap these days, less than $50 usually.

The newer Lenovo battery manager has a specific battery conservation toggle that basically keeps your battery perpetually at 60-75% charged if you leave it plugged in most of the time. The upside is you prolong the battery, the downside is if you forget to toggle it off and then pickup and go, you'll be bummed to find you're already down an hour on your battery.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Any recommentations on a sub-650 Dollar Laptop with a good quality screen, HDMI-out, SSD OR fool-proof option to upgrade to SSD post-purchase, decent CPU (i5?), 4 (8?) GB of RAM?

My aging Laptop is on its way out and I'm looking to pull the trigger on a replacement within the next couple of days. Been following some offers and models for the better part of 3 weeks, but it seems like everytime I come across something remotely up my alley, there's something that makes the deal much less attractive through a characteristic I absolutely don't need.

I have an external 2 TB drive, so I don't care about storage space, I'll be sitting in front of the thing for the majority of the next year (hence decent screen), would love some decent performance and the option to play some basic, non top-of-the-line games (Eve Online, I'd give World of tanks on minimal settings a try maybe; not a priority, through?), probably wouldn't need MS Office package due to my student status, have been using Windows 7 Professional 64bit for the past couple of years, don't really have a preference in terms of OS, would go with whatever is recommended.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

What is the best Windows equivalent of a Macbook Air currently (i.e. thin, good specs, good build quality)?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

OperaMouse posted:

What is the best Windows equivalent of a Macbook Air currently (i.e. thin, good specs, good build quality)?

No doubt the brand new Dell XPS 13

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

HalloKitty posted:

No doubt the brand new Dell XPS 13

This is actually much better than the air in terms of specs, the screen resolution options alone are nicer. Shame they don't just go 16:10 though.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
So I'm looking for something that can be mobile and used on my lap (like in a car), but can also sit in tablet mode in off to the side and isn't huge for when I don't need to type. I thought the Surface would work as I loved the idea of the keyboard being out of the way and not taking up space when not needed, but after trying the keyboard I wasn't a fan. I was then looking at some of the 2-in-1 Yogas, but wasn't sure if there were better options, as I saw that Dell has an XPS 11 2-in-1 for $599 (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/02/dealmaster-get-a-dell-xps-11-2-in-1-ultrabook-for-599-99-over-half-off/). I do see that a Yoga 3 with a touch screen would be $900ish.

My uses are mostly Google Docs with lots of typing and needing a mouse, playing some occasional Hearthstone, and watching downloaded media. I do plan on getting a mobile broadband card as well. I already have a Chromebook but it takes up too much space as a regular laptop for when I just want it sitting on my desk.

I am concerned with resolutions greater than 1080p also.

Any thoughts?

Uziel fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 15, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

OperaMouse posted:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/02/review-the-dell-xps-13-is-the-pc-laptop-to-beat/1/

Aside from the "Up the nose view" webcam that XPS 13 is really god damned sexy.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Gwaihir posted:

Aside from the "Up the nose view" webcam that XPS 13 is really god damned sexy.
It's a shame they don't offer an Iris Pro GPU option. That crosses the threshold to "barely adequate for games" for me, which I don't think the 5500 does. I guess it might hurt the battery life too though.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Need some help sorting through the many different flavours of Thinkpad. Durability is my #1 priority. I'd prefer to only have to keep up with a single machine and so it will be used for both work and home and thus must survive constant travel and movement as well as very frequent usage. Battery life and portability are not a major concern as I'm only ever at home or work and when at work I only unplug from the wall long enough to move from the front of my shop to the back. Price is also of little issue. I'll gladly pay high dollar for a powerful machine if it also will have a long lifespan as far as durability goes.

I work as an artist and frequently use adobe software to do my work, so great graphics capability and a good screen are key. On top of that I like to game every once in a blue moon and it would be nice if I didn't have to fret about settings and had the option to jack everything up to max to enjoy the pretty pictures. For example, I love modding Skyrim and pushing its graphics engine to its limits while doing so. Its a hobby of mine. However, my heart isn't set on that and I will accept a machine where medium settings is ideal if I'm getting more durability out of the deal. Especially if overheating is a concern. I melted the GPU of my last gaming laptop, so I'd like to avoid that.

So essentially I want something durable, with a good screen, and powerful graphics. In that order of priority. Everything else, including price, is of lesser importance.

EDIT: Leaning heavily toward the T540P. It seems to be the most well rounded for what I need.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 15, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

roomforthetuna posted:

It's a shame they don't offer an Iris Pro GPU option. That crosses the threshold to "barely adequate for games" for me, which I don't think the 5500 does. I guess it might hurt the battery life too though.

There's a not-unlikely chance that the new retina macbook air with the upgraded HD graphics you speak of will be released about this time next month.

Intel's HD graphics throttle independent of the CPU so I don't think it ought to impact battery life much if at all.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Has anybody here used the Thinkpad Yoga 12" and 14" ultrabooks? They basically have all of the features that I would want in a computer, especially the stylus input. I think I'd be interested in getting one of the newer models coming out with the Broadwell microprocessors which are just coming out, but if someone has experience with the older models, that'd be great to hear from you too.

Are they buggy? I bought a Thinkpad Tablet 2 when it first came out, and it is incredibly buggy and slow. Also, the Wacom digitizer pen is really inaccurate compared to other people's old Thinkpad X-Series convertible laptops with Wacom digitizer styluses that I have used.

I hesitate to buy another product from Lenovo, but I have become accustomed to the nub mouse input on my Thinkpad laptop, which I have been happy with so far, and the Yoga seems to be the only ultrabook/tablet like device which has the stylus input. Am I wrong about that, and do other companies offer similar products? I don't really want a Surface Pro 3 or something like that because I would prefer to have a device which I could sometimes use on my lap.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 15, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If there's a Microsoft store near you they have the Thinkpad Yoga on display.

My old roommate bought one on the Lenovo outlet store and loves that thing. He's currently using it on an 18 month sabbatical in south america "working from home". His through the outlet store was an i7 with 8GB ram for about $650 shipped. You just have to keep an eye on what they have in stock that day.

There is a very faint reproducible ghosting issue with the display but it depends on how spergy you are if you notice it and/or care. His response was "I do visual web design but for the price, an issue that minor is worth overlooking". Your mileage may vary.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Thanks, I'll check out the display model at a Microsoft store. Does your friend use the pen? If so, how does he like it?

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 15, 2015

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
My wife's chromebook took a bath yesterday and we're looking to pick up a replacement on the cheap. Any recommendations for an inexpensive ($500ish or less), decent quality Windows laptop that'll be good for light stuff like web browsing and word processing, but also able to run some old-ish games (mainly WoW) decently?

Edit: howabout a refurb Lenovo T420? They seem well liked.

Toebone fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 16, 2015

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Looking for a new laptop. I'm eying the new Dell XPS 13, but not sure if that's what I want to go for.

Currently I use a Lenovo X220 as my main computer. I'd like something a bit more recent, with a much better screen (preferably matte or at least not a glare factory), but at a similar size. I am thoroughly unimpressed with Lenovo's current offerings since they have essentially neutered the trackpoint. Apparently the coming -50 series fixes the trackpoint buttons (though if the mouse drivers still ruin the middle click then the trackpoint is useless to me), but I don't know if the screen options will be any good, and from what I've seen Lenovo is moving away from durability.

Anything I should look at? I'm going to be in the ~$800 price range, can go up a bit more if it will make a meaningful difference. I went to a few local stores to see if any had the Dell so I could lay hands on it. No luck there, but I got to mess with the Surface 3 Pro. Nice machine, but the keyboard is loving awful.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

^^ if you can wait till mid-March there should be a ton of new models to choose from, the XPS 13 is a good one though.

Toebone posted:

My wife's chromebook took a bath yesterday

Edit: howabout a refurb Lenovo T420? They seem well liked.

The T420 has a self-draining keyboard so she might appreciate that feature.

You can get a refurb or off-lease T420 off ebay for $280 and it will come with a better resolution screen. 14" 1366x768 in 2015 is a little low rent.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Hadlock posted:

^^ if you can wait till mid-March there should be a ton of new models to choose from, the XPS 13 is a good one though.

The T420 has a self-draining keyboard so she might appreciate that feature.

You can get a refurb or off-lease T420 off ebay for $280 and it will come with a better resolution screen. 14" 1366x768 in 2015 is a little low rent.

I think I can hold off til then. Is there some event happening or something where things will be unveiled? I figured more things would be available right after CES but the only new and interesting thing I've seen is the XPS.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Intel has been having a hell of a time shrinking their dies, around 2009 Intel was expecting to shrink by half every other year using their tic-toc cycle, Ivy Bridge (22nm tic) was about 1Q late in 2012 and haswell (14nm toc) was about 3Q late (21 month cycle) in 2013 and the very first Broadwell (14nm tic) products (Yoga 3 and some gaming laptop I forget) shipped Nov 2014 but they haven't been able to get yields up so they've been pushed back again and again.

Completely unfounded rumor suggests 14nm delays is also what's been pushing back the long-awaited retina Macbook Air. The number of broadwell products at CES indicates Intel has good enough production now that the number of Broadwell products will increase finally.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

http://outlet.lenovo.com/outlet_us/itemdetails/20B7X023US/445

Couple of questions to offers like this refurbished T440:

• Since I keep hearing 1366 X 768 are a bad choice in 2015, would this screen be a decent choice?
  • How do I find out whether models will support a seperately bought SSD and would this be one of them?
  • Is CPU/RAM/graphics sufficient for anything college-related, plus some casual, non-highend gaming?
  • How's the reputation of refurbished models (generally, and specifically from Lenovo)? I've never had any experience with that, so I'm somewhat curious

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

• Since I keep hearing 1366 X 768 are a bad choice in 2015, would this screen be a decent choice?
  • How do I find out whether models will support a seperately bought SSD and would this be one of them?
  • Is CPU/RAM/graphics sufficient for anything college-related, plus some casual, non-highend gaming?
  • How's the reputation of refurbished models (generally, and specifically from Lenovo)? I've never had any experience with that, so I'm somewhat curious

• 1600x900 is fine, it's just that 1366x768 is the worst you can get on a name-brand laptop and (I think) the lowest resolution Microsoft will let manufacturers bundle Win 8.1 with
  • SATA became standard around 2009 you should be fine. There are some physical compatibility issues with older 9mm drives being too tall for 7mm slots but generally all new drives are 7mm with optional spacers. Yes Virginia that $119.99 shipped Samsung 250GB Evo 850 will work.
  • Yes, as long as you don't want to play Battlefield 3/4. Stick to the $25 and under games on Steam and you'll be very happy
  • Lenovo outlet stuff is basically brand new, refub off of ebay are typically off-lease laptops from large corporations which rarely left the desk and were well maintained when they did break.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
I've been following this thread pretty closely for the last couple weeks since I'm planning on getting a new laptop when Intel updates their processors. I have noticed that pretty much every laptop recommended is windows. The last laptop I had was a macbook way back when they still came in black and I really like OS X. It was stable and each new OS update was cheap and seemed to make things snappier.

Windows is fine, I'm not an apple fanboy by any stretch. My phone is a nexus 5 and I don't ever plan on switching to an iphone so all that yosemite integration doesn't matter to me. However, windows OS upgrades are expensive and used to just cause issues for me. Windows seemed to get clunky and slow over time and problems seemed to just stack up.

Right now I'm using Ubuntu on my desktop so I'm used to problems, but I'm still wondering why apple laptops don't get mentioned here a lot. Is it because there just aren't as many options to fit the needs of various people posting? I get that apple's stuff is locked down with batteries that can't be replaced and drives that you're stuck with. Is that the reason?

I don't really know what I'm asking, but as I think about choosing a laptop I'm struggling with windows vs mac. My budget will allow me to afford a nicely configured mac or a top-tier windows product. I love the looks of window's stuff like Lenovo and it seems that high-end windows stuff is built as well as the macs. Is it really all down to personal preference, or is there some really compelling reason to go one way or another?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I'll be getting a laptop soon but I have no idea what I really want.

The main reason I am getting a laptop is because I'll be without my computer for about a month and I don't think I'd survive. But I also travel occasionally so it'd be nice for the plane or hotel.

I won't be doing any serious gaming on it. Probably just web browsing and watching videos mostly. I really don't care for a touch screen (if I did I'd just get a tablet.) I'd like something around 14" I guess, my old laptop (12 years old, still works, just a few thousand dead pixels and runs dreadfully slow) was 15.5" and that was a bit too large. I actually kind of like the really small ones like 11" or 12" too, wouldn't mind that if a cheaper one had decent screen resolution (my research suggests they don't.) I want a HDD -- seems SSD laptops can be had cheaply but then you're stuck with 32GB of storage, that won't work for me.

I guess a long battery isn't really important though at least 4 hours would be nice.

My budget is whatever, I don't want to spend a whole lot on something I'm not going to use that much, but want to at least spring for sensible upgrades. I also have no idea what to look for in processors, there seems to be a huge difference even at similar price points -- have seen <$500 machines with single, dual and quad cores.

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 17, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jewce posted:

Is it really all down to personal preference, or is there some really compelling reason to go one way or another?

Mainly personal preference. Win 8.1 + classic start is a fantastic OS and Apple really does make the best hardware (and it will happily dual-boot Win 8.1 + classic start). Most people who want a Mac laptop just buy the most expensive model they can afford, which is probably why they don't get discussed in here much. Pretty much everyone offers 5 hours web browsing these days, thanks forward march of technology!

fisting by many posted:

I am getting a laptop is because I'll be without my computer for about a month and I don't think I'd survive.

Probably just web browsing and watching videos mostly. I really don't care for a touch screen (if I did I'd just get a tablet.)

Have you considered just getting a 2013 Nexus 7 (about $130 on ebay) and one of those combo case/keyboards (about $30)?

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Jewce posted:

I've been following this thread pretty closely for the last couple weeks since I'm planning on getting a new laptop when Intel updates their processors. I have noticed that pretty much every laptop recommended is windows. The last laptop I had was a macbook way back when they still came in black and I really like OS X. It was stable and each new OS update was cheap and seemed to make things snappier.(1)

Windows is fine, I'm not an apple fanboy by any stretch. My phone is a nexus 5 and I don't ever plan on switching to an iphone so all that yosemite integration doesn't matter to me. However, windows OS upgrades are expensive and used to just cause issues for me. Windows seemed to get clunky and slow over time and problems seemed to just stack up.

Right now I'm using Ubuntu on my desktop so I'm used to problems, but I'm still wondering why apple laptops don't get mentioned here a lot. Is it because there just aren't as many options to fit the needs of various people posting? I get that apple's stuff is locked down with batteries that can't be replaced and drives that you're stuck with. Is that the reason?

I don't really know what I'm asking, but as I think about choosing a laptop I'm struggling with windows vs mac. My budget will allow me to afford a nicely configured mac or a top-tier windows product. I love the looks of window's stuff like Lenovo and it seems that high-end windows stuff is built as well as the macs. (2) Is it really all down to personal preference, or is there some really compelling reason to go one way or another?

(1) Well, the recent trend has been for OS updates to be free. Personally I find Yosemite to be a huge step back from Mavericks in terms of graphic design and responsiveness. It frequently freezes/hangs on my MBP.

(2) The aforementioned new XPS 13 has gotten some great reviews compared to the Macbook Air. I think you're essentially correct in your statement. Many people experience Windows on really cheap, lovely computers. Things to look for are upgradeability (if the laptop has soldered RAM you'd best configure it with as much as you think you'll ever need because there's no moving up after you've bought it) and support. There's something to be said for being able to walk into an Apple store and get your computer serviced on the spot. Similarly, Lenovo's business laptops often come with onsite support (not sure if you need to add this to the purchase or not); you just put in a ticket and they send a tech to meet you with whatever parts are necessary and they swap them out.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Have you considered just getting a 2013 Nexus 7 (about $130 on ebay) and one of those combo case/keyboards (about $30)?

I thought about that. I'd much rather have a computer though. It's just more convenient to use and you can do a lot more.

Besides, I do have a smartphone. So tablets seemed redundant to me.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Has anyone used the X1 Carbon 2 at all? I'm particularly interested in the feel of the mouse options and keyboard.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hadlock posted:

• 1600x900 is fine, it's just that 1366x768 is the worst you can get on a name-brand laptop and (I think) the lowest resolution Microsoft will let manufacturers bundle Win 8.1 with
  • SATA became standard around 2009 you should be fine. There are some physical compatibility issues with older 9mm drives being too tall for 7mm slots but generally all new drives are 7mm with optional spacers. Yes Virginia that $119.99 shipped Samsung 250GB Evo 850 will work.
  • Yes, as long as you don't want to play Battlefield 3/4. Stick to the $25 and under games on Steam and you'll be very happy
  • Lenovo outlet stuff is basically brand new, refub off of ebay are typically off-lease laptops from large corporations which rarely left the desk and were well maintained when they did break.

Brilliant. So I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on that refurbished T440 and grabbing a seperate SSD as soon as possible, so two follow-up questions:

- Is there a tried&true sub-100-Dollar SSD that folks here would recommend? I don't really have an idea what amount of minimum space i'll need for OS and a bunch of games these days, but I have an external 2TB drive and figured 128 GB would be plenty.
- As I have literally nothing over here in the US outside of my external drive, two 8GB USB sticks and a Samsung tablet, is there anything else I'd need to reinstall the OS on the SSD I'm buying?

(Also, uh...am I replacing the manufacturer's harddrive or sliding it into a seperate slot?)

/edit:
Welp, my shopping cart expired, I tried to reload and now it appears the outlet store site shat the bed. Sick trigger-pulling skills.

Nevermind, I'm accessing the page from my phone and it seems just my laptop is suddenly displaying blank pages for the outlet.lenovo.com subsites, I don't know what the gently caress.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 17, 2015

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Now I'm seeing a refurbished T530 just below the T440s with an i5-3320M CPU at 2,6Ghz and not a lot of differences except for a 15.6" screen instead of 14" and an optical drive...for the same exact price, 574 USD...bargain?

I mean, I'm guessing it's going to be a little more cumbersome what with the drive and larger screen.

/Yup, getting a completely blank page for outlet.lenovo.com now, but just on my laptop. Do they temporaribly block IP adresses when you reserve items in your shopping cart but then let it expire or am I being paranoid?

Aaaand apparently Lenovo doesn't accept my credit card. Guess they don't want my money.
Well, this certainly was a lot of fun.

What are my options if I can't get refurbished model deals from the Lenovo outlet? Same models several hundred dollars more expensive at other online stores, or is there something else that could turn this around for me?

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 17, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lenovo likes to pass the savings on to you in the form of a dodgy ecommerce website in 2015

There's always crazy deals on the outlet store, you just might have to wait a day or two.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Lenovo likes to pass the savings on to you in the form of a dodgy ecommerce website in 2015

There's always crazy deals on the outlet store, you just might have to wait a day or two.

Well, seeing as they don't accept internationalmaster cards, I don't believe the outlet store is still an option for me, sadly.

/edit:
I was just about to give up on the outlet store when I noticed "Amazon Payments accepted" on there, looked that service up and figured it was perfect for me, I can send a payment to Lenovo through Amazon with my credit card that Amazon has been happily accepting. "All is well", I think to myself...

:suicide:

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 17, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

To add to the Apple thing, there's also an Apple hardware thread so people who know they want a Mac often go there instead.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

fisting by many posted:

I'll be getting a laptop soon but I have no idea what I really want.

The main reason I am getting a laptop is because I'll be without my computer for about a month and I don't think I'd survive. But I also travel occasionally so it'd be nice for the plane or hotel.

I won't be doing any serious gaming on it. Probably just web browsing and watching videos mostly. I really don't care for a touch screen (if I did I'd just get a tablet.) I'd like something around 14" I guess, my old laptop (12 years old, still works, just a few thousand dead pixels and runs dreadfully slow) was 15.5" and that was a bit too large. I actually kind of like the really small ones like 11" or 12" too, wouldn't mind that if a cheaper one had decent screen resolution (my research suggests they don't.) I want a HDD -- seems SSD laptops can be had cheaply but then you're stuck with 32GB of storage, that won't work for me.

I guess a long battery isn't really important though at least 4 hours would be nice.

My budget is whatever, I don't want to spend a whole lot on something I'm not going to use that much, but want to at least spring for sensible upgrades. I also have no idea what to look for in processors, there seems to be a huge difference even at similar price points -- have seen <$500 machines with single, dual and quad cores.

Get a laptop with a HDD, and buy a 250gb or more Samsung 850 Evo SSD to install yourself. HDDs are heavier, use more power, and break more easily inside laptops, the only place a 2.5'' HDD should be allowed to exist is in an external enclosure/secondary hard drive slot.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

http://outlet.lenovo.com/outlet_us/itemdetails/20B7X023US/445

I've been looking at the T440s for a while too and I found this one on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thin...=item3f4737d6d7

Same cpu, but has twice the amount of memory, a 256gb ssd, bluetooth, and Windows 7 (if you're one of those Win8 sticklers)

Edit: I'm guessing it's a non-IPS display but I could be mistaken in that they just don't even mention it anymore and comes standard.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 17, 2015

Texibus
May 18, 2008
wrong thread! Sorry

Texibus fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

silence_kit posted:

Has anybody here used the Thinkpad Yoga 12" and 14" ultrabooks? They basically have all of the features that I would want in a computer, especially the stylus input. I think I'd be interested in getting one of the newer models coming out with the Broadwell microprocessors which are just coming out, but if someone has experience with the older models, that'd be great to hear from you too.

I have the same question, i am quite curious about these systems, and i am thinking about buying ~this summer~.