Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

JaucheCharly posted:

If this would have been america, you'd probably have been shot.

im not black though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Zzulu posted:

theyre just dishing out truth bombs

lol they make a lot of this poo poo specifically for you you know that right.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zzulu posted:

theyre just dishing out truth bombs

At least american exceptionalism actually accomplished something

Russia exceptionalism is even more hilariously delusional by comparison.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
russia has produced nothing but misery.

and vodka.

Xmas Dumpster Fire
May 29, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yFpsd2JuXs

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rambling Robot posted:

russia has produced nothing but misery.

and vodka.

it's the nation equivalent of a country western music song

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

etalian posted:

It owns since Putin brought back Soviet style america bashing.

Except Soviets never did poo poo like denying moon landing and giving air time to conspiracy nuts

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

lol

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

that's cool as hell i like america now

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

their polo shirts give them away

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
Sign says "yanukovich is our president", it's the guy who was the ukrainian president from 2010 to 2014

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gentlemen, we've reached peak squat

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

slav slim pickens?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

I like those shoes tho what are they? Looks like adidas of some sort

Stentorian Hoot
Jun 14, 2001

Couldn't get it up...

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

more proof that ukraine is really russian.

bitch i will cut you for saying that

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

just squatting on this cluster bomb

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Stentorian Hoot posted:

bitch i will cut you for saying that

watcha gonna cut me with? ur scythe? lol go back to the kolkhoz and learn yourself a proper language instead of this dialect :agesilaus:

[X] squat
[X] blatant disregard for own life
[X] forest setting
[X] some sort of military presence
[ ] Adidas
[ ] vodka

We are so close to reaching peak Slav here.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

etalian posted:

At least american exceptionalism actually accomplished something

No, it really hasn't

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

Jonad posted:

Fun history fact 4 u: The Mongols weren't the only empire defeated by succession law. Rome fell apart during the third century largely due to the fact that there were actually no formal rules for who got to be Emperor after the reigning Emperor died. The Emperor was 'acclaimed' rather than crowned, meaning essentially that you are the emperor when everyone decides you are. In practice this lead to frequent civil wars because in addition to the emperor's heir (there were also no rules for who this could be) there were also often generals who got acclaimed by their troops when news of the emperor's death arrived. In the early fourth century there was an attempt to reform this system but it never stuck, even when the Western Empire fell the Eastern half still had this problem throughout its thousand-year existence. This is tangentially relevant to the thread since the Russian Empire claimed to be the 'Third Rome' owing to its Orthodox Christian heritage (like the Eastern Roman Empire) and the Rurikid dynasty's marital link to one of Eastern Rome's imperial families.

Rome tried to sidestep the issue of succession by handpicking successors. The 'five great emperors' of Rome each took a middle aged heir late in life until Marcus Aurelius showed such great promise that he was chosen from early adulthood by Hadrian. Hadrian almost died younger than expected, and he chose to adopt the likeliest middle aged successor, Antoninus Pius, and instructed Antoninus Pius adopt Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Veras as co-heirs. This choice proved to be fatal for the Nerva-Antonine dynasty, because the 17 year old heir would father a miscreant known as Commodus and he's probably the worst of the bunch ever named Augustus while the Roman Republic underwent its downfall via imperialism.

These days we're having more and more filial dynasties rise to prominence due to the nature of capitalism and social democracy. Instead of one ruling family, we have all families attempting to become ruling families by shutting all other families out, naturally some of these families cannot shut one another out and thus is formed the ruling elite. not cooperating, no longer competing, but extracting rent, tax, their divine right, whatever, from their subjects.

The oligarchs of russia are just trying to play catch up while avoiding becoming indebted to the world bank and the imf and thereby becoming economic subjects of NATO. They just recognize that they can get a larger slice of the world's pie with sovereignty than subjugation.

edit: whats Russia's succession situation look like when Putin finally kicks it?

huskarl_marx fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 17, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

No, it really hasn't

hello, faking the moon landings

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

huskarl_marx posted:

Rome tried to sidestep the issue of succession by handpicking successors. The 'five great emperors' of Rome each took a middle aged heir late in life until Marcus Aurelius showed such great promise that he was chosen from early adulthood by Hadrian. Hadrian almost died younger than expected, and he chose to adopt the likeliest middle aged successor, Antoninus Pius, and instructed Antoninus Pius adopt Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Veras as co-heirs. This choice proved to be fatal for the Nerva-Antonine dynasty, because the 17 year old heir would father a miscreant known as Commodus and he's probably the worst of the bunch ever named Augustus while the Roman Republic underwent its downfall via imperialism.

These days we're having more and more filial dynasties rise to prominence due to the nature of capitalism and social democracy. Instead of one ruling family, we have all families attempting to become ruling families by shutting all other families out, naturally some of these families cannot shut one another out and thus is formed the ruling elite. not cooperating, no longer competing, but extracting rent, tax, their divine right, whatever, from their subjects.

The oligarchs of russia are just trying to play catch up while avoiding becoming indebted to the world bank and the imf and thereby becoming economic subjects of NATO. They just recognize that they can get a larger slice of the world's pie with sovereignty than subjugation.

edit: whats Russia's succession situation look like when Putin finally kicks it?

Commodus had the worst possible name (after the French got a hold of it) and Russel Crowe/Ridley Scott made him a basic bitch.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

No, it really hasn't

Nuclear weapons. Mostly invented by non-americans working in the "interest" of the country but that's beside the point :smug:

jamoncorona
Apr 9, 2014

Is that the Russian Rachel Maddow?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

watcha gonna cut me with? ur scythe? lol go back to the kolkhoz and learn yourself a proper language instead of this dialect :agesilaus:

[X] squat
[X] blatant disregard for own life
[X] forest setting
[X] some sort of military presence
[ ] Adidas
[ ] vodka

We are so close to reaching peak Slav here.

I think those shoes are Adidas.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

No, it really hasn't

According to my college professor the USA did a pretty good job at inventing slavery

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

No, it really hasn't

take a look around you. An enormous part of what you see right this second was invented by us.

You're welcome

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

if russians managed to commoditize misery and depression they would never have to worry about going broke.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

etalian posted:

if russians managed to commoditize misery and depression they would never have to worry about going broke.

They are currently trying to export those things into Ukraine.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

take a look around you. An enormous part of what you see right this second was invented by us.

You're welcome

As a mutant living in a toxic waste dump I concede to your point

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

ranbo das posted:

According to my college professor the USA did a pretty good job at inventing slavery

you are pretty naive and stupid if you think slavery started and ended in america. :psyduck:

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Nauta posted:

you are pretty naive and stupid if you think slavery started and ended in america. :psyduck:

:thejoke:

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Nauta posted:

are you a college prof? no? then stfu bitch

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Herr Tog posted:

I think those shoes are Adidas.
looks like some knockoffs, maybe abibas or nice, or coma

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

St. Petersburg taxi company bought a nice second-hand car from the army.

They installed leather chairs and some other new stuff in the car. What they couldn't put in is a door that opens to street level, the entrance is on top.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

etalian posted:

Present posted:

They are currently trying to export those things into Ukraine.

:drat:

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

etalian posted:

They have tried: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_to_Be_a_God_%282013_film%29

I have seen this. In a movie theatre. If I would have not been in the very end of the row (next to a wall), I would have escaped. 3 hours of poo poo, blood, bud, violence, torture and misery. Virtually no plot (luckily I have read the book, so I could somehow try to guess what was actually happening). True Russian experience.

Trailer does not make it justice: Get it and try to see how long you can take it without need of a break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zMPyWa2kVs

Edit:
From AV Club:

quote:

...To put it another way: If Hard To Be A God isn’t the filthiest, most fetid-looking movie ever made, it’s certainly in the top three. Everyone seems to be continually kicking each other, spitting on each other, or beating each other—and if they’re not, it’s because they’re busy picking things out of the mud, poking bare and dirty asses with spears, or smelling what they just wiped off their boots.

....but actually if it would have been cut to less than 2 hours and added some sort of narrator - perhaps it would have been more bearable.

Letmebefrank fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 17, 2015

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
"Sever studio"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Letmebefrank posted:

They have tried: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_to_Be_a_God_%282013_film%29

I have seen this. In a movie theatre. If I would have not been in the very end of the row (next to a wall), I would have escaped. 3 hours of poo poo, blood, bud, violence, torture and misery. Virtually no plot (luckily I have read the book, so I could somehow try to guess what was actually happening). True Russian experience.

Trailer does not make it justice: Get it and try to see how long you can take it without need of a break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zMPyWa2kVs

this looks loving awesome but after watching through stalker last night i may be in a weird mental place re: tedious russian film

• Locked thread