Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I already know the reason. They wanted to use Banks more and ended up with a bit of a clunky plot point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
Yeah, I recall reading (or hearing on the BB podcast) that Mike was supposed to be a lesser role but Banks was such an affable dude on set they built Mike's role up. So, if it's a plot hole so be it... I'd rather have more time on Mike and Gus than be pedantic about why he did odd jobs for Saul.

Ebf

But content: seriously check out Bank's behind the scenes or interviews. Such a sweetheart. Cried openly when talking with Bryan Cranston on his last ep. Anyhow, kind of the polar opposite of Mike. Hehe

Interstitial Abs fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 17, 2015

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Mike doing regular PI and cleaning stuff on the side for extra cash isn't exactly the most outrageous plot point on either show.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Aphrodite posted:

Mike working for Gus always seemed a little weird because then what the hell is he doing slumming it as a cleaner for Saul?

Moonlighting as a PI is probably a good way to keep tabs on anyone your drug empire might be interested in or interested in keeping away. It is a bit of a stretch that he is going out doing all these pickups and truck guardings and whatever in addition to being a second in command and in addition to being a PI and in addition to having a family life, etc., etc., but apparently days are longer on TV.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Javid posted:

Mike doing regular PI and cleaning stuff on the side for extra cash isn't exactly the most outrageous plot point on either show.

It does seem that his job with Gus would probably require his full attention though.

That being said, if he had extra time available, I'm sure he'd like to do extra stuff on the side being that he has to provide for his granddaughter because of reasons, and because she'll never be able to have a job herself apparently.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Last Chance posted:

Perhaps if there's ever a prequel show to Breaking Bad we'll find out the answers to these questions...

What are the chances of that happening.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

MrBims posted:

Moonlighting as a PI is probably a good way to keep tabs on anyone your drug empire might be interested in or interested in keeping away. It is a bit of a stretch that he is going out doing all these pickups and truck guardings and whatever in addition to being a second in command and in addition to being a PI and in addition to having a family life, etc., etc., but apparently days are longer on TV.

He used to have a guy for most of that.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

MrBims posted:

...but apparently days are longer on TV.

Have you ever been to the south(west)? They got some long rear end daylight in the summer. Git er done. :clint:

So wait, when was Fargo shot, between seasons of Breaking Bad? I was just about to ask how Odenkirk is going to juggle a second season but it's set in 1979 apparently.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

It does seem that his job with Gus would probably require his full attention though.

That being said, if he had extra time available, I'm sure he'd like to do extra stuff on the side being that he has to provide for his granddaughter because of reasons, and because she'll never be able to have a job herself apparently.

Prior to the fall out with the cartel and attention from the police, doing security for Gus would likely just entail keeping tabs on what is going on in the underworld, and not a lot of active work. As a lot of that underworld is represented by Saul Goodman, doing some of that clean up job is probably as good a way as any of figuring out which people might get busted, might flip, etc.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Doltos posted:

Saul makes 700 dollars a case. I assume most of its already taxed

Presumably it's a 700 dollar check written out to his own law firm so the amount is before expenses, benefits, company taxes and income tax.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

Mike working for Gus always seemed a little weird because then what the hell is he doing slumming it as a cleaner for Saul?

Saul will probably have Mike do some meth business related snooping. He'll catch Gus's attention somehow, and Gus will quickly realize his worth. Either Gus will tell him to keep ties with Saul or Mike will keep working for Saul out of loyalty/because of dual income. IDk. Thats my guess.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

I think it's heavily implied that he didn't, which is why he said "no more half measures". He took a half measure by beating the guy up and threatening him, but he regrets not following through. It was an example for Walt to follow, so Mike not having killed the guy would make the most sense.

Not to say he definitely didn't, but it's most likely that he didn't.

I assumed that was why Mike was disgraced. If he was plain dirty, it's doubtful the cops in Albuquerque would have called him in, it seemed to me that they consulted Mike a lot and respected him.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

I assumed that was why Mike was disgraced. If he was plain dirty, it's doubtful the cops in Albuquerque would have called him in, it seemed to me that they consulted Mike a lot and respected him.

Or maybe... something else happened. Maybe we'll find out in Breaking Two: Electric Boogaloo.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Xoidanor posted:

Presumably it's a 700 dollar check written out to his own law firm so the amount is before expenses, benefits, company taxes and income tax.

:eng101: Since he has no employees, there will be no company taxes. Sole proprietorship income is just reported as personal income even if you have an LLC.

$700 per case theoretically could be good for him to live on as long as he got 4-5 cases finished per month, but A) he's supporting Chuck and B) he probably has crippling law school debt as it's clear he went to law school a little later in life.

Also C) maybe he only gets one case some months. The montage made him look really busy but who knows how much time that's supposed to be.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe he got a scholarship to the University of American Samoa.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

Nail Rat posted:

:eng101: Since he has no employees, there will be no company taxes. Sole proprietorship income is just reported as personal income even if you have an LLC.

But what about his dapper English secretary? and his round-the-clock office painters?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

Since Gus was ramping up his empire during the time period of Breaking Bad (hiring Gale, building the superlab, cutting ties from the cartel) rather than being up and running at full capacity from the get-go, it seems reasonable that Mike's duties and involvement with Gus ramped up in a similar way.

That would explain Mike being available to do odd jobs for Saul at the start of S3, but basically being on call for Gus 24/7 by the end of that same season.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
How old was he meant to be in the flashback?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

He'd still have to pay his own FICA and poo poo out of that. That's probably what the business is for, to take in the $700 checks and pay for business expenses so he only has to pay Self-Employment Tax on whatever pittance he deems his 'Wages' and just straight Income Tax on the rest.

I wonder if we'll get to see the birth of Ice Station Zebra Associates.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

As much as I liked Gus I really hope we don't see a lot of him in BCS. His story reaches its climax and ends on Breaking Bad, so having him become a character on BCS means either retelling the same story or just having him leave eventually assuming the audience knows what happened to him. Better Call Saul will be better if it stands on its own rather than just becoming a series of BB characters meeting each other.

More like they needed to put pressure on Jimmy and tried to do that through the parking lot attendant he assaulted. I got the impression they have no idea who Mike is other than the tool booth guy, and they are kissing up to him to get him to play ball. His look of disgust came from him knowing he was being condescended to.

Hobo Clown fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 17, 2015

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

RJWaters2 posted:

But what about his dapper English secretary? and his round-the-clock office painters?

Independent contractors paid via 1099 :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Interesting article regarding Chuck's condition: It's a mental illness. Pretty much inarguably.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think they could include Gus and write it well, it's all really in the execution. This show is already way better than the premise would have suggested, and I'm sure if they included Gus they'd recognize the pitfalls of including him and figure out some way to write it so that Gus' inclusion in the story justifies itself.

Then again they could also not include Gus and write it really well.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 17, 2015

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
So what was the end game of the Kettleman's anyway? The guy in Philly, sure he can order delivery for food and maybe get cable installed. Were the dumbass clients planning to live off a hidden stock of Mountain House #10 cans and MREs while playing cards and singing "So Long, Farewell"?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

So what was the end game of the Kettleman's anyway? The guy in Philly, sure he can order delivery for food and maybe get cable installed. Were the dumbass clients planning to live off a hidden stock of Mountain House #10 cans and MREs while playing cards and singing "So Long, Farewell"?

People that steal money, with a massive paper trail, are not known to be the world's best planners.

How many times have we all read the exact story from this episode?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Ravel posted:

How old was he meant to be in the flashback?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

They clearly did not have an endgame. The bookie from Mike's story planned out going into hiding and picked a location that would make for the best long-term hiding place. The Kettlemans meanwhile grabbed a tent and some canned food and hoped they would come up with a better idea before they died of exposure.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Interesting article regarding Chuck's condition: It's a mental illness. Pretty much inarguably.

Wow, you mean the space blanket isn't real? loving immersion ruined.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

DarklyDreaming posted:

They clearly did not have an endgame. The bookie from Mike's story planned out going into hiding and picked a location that would make for the best long-term hiding place. The Kettlemans meanwhile grabbed a tent and some canned food and hoped they would come up with a better idea before they died of exposure.

I loved the kid's; "Finally"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Last Chance posted:

Hey, people in the thread were claiming he had cancer and all kinds of stuff. And the only other link I saw posted treated it like a real condition. This article straight up says that the symptoms' correlation to exposure disappears in double-blind tests.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Last Chance posted:

No, it is.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Steve Yun posted:

I think they could include Gus and write it well, it's all really in the execution. This show is already way better than the premise would have suggested, and I'm sure if they included Gus they'd recognize the pitfalls of including him and figure out some way to write it so that Gus' inclusion in the story justifies itself.

Then again they could also not include Gus and write it really well.

Saul specifically introduces Walter to Gus, and seems to know Gus pretty well at least, to his personality and behavior.

What I'm saying is it'll be odd if they DIDN'T include Gus. It's less a cameo and more a "Curious how the hell that happened."

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I want to see Saul defend Bogdan and his cancer causing cleaning chemicals

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I guess I should have phrased that as "having a lot of Gus" and "not a lot of Gus" cause yeah, Gus has to show up at least a couple times.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Well, we don't have an exact timeline as of yet. They are still establishing that Jimmy is very new to this whole ordeal and quite unprepared for the type and scope of people he is getting involved with.

Like a bunch of people are saying, with the ambiguity of the ending of the last episode, we'll get to see if this is the crux of Jimmy becoming Saul. Just like the rest of you, I can't wait to see it.

The narrative of this story is done very well. So while the individual stories may be a bit drawn out, the over all narrative is riveting.

This dynamic, go hard, man has some of the most humble beginnings and best intentions. What's it going to be that finally pushes him to being a ne'er-do-well?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

There's plenty of time for Jimmy to 'become' Saul. We're on episode 3 of series 1 for god's sake.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

That's kinda what I meant, too. I don't mind seeing Gus once or twice, since he's clearly in the area and Saul's dealt with him. I just don't want Better Call Saul to become entirely about how and why the characters of Breaking Bad all met each other and started working together. BCS is too good on its own to just become Season zero of a separate show that's already ended.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Hey, people in the thread were claiming he had cancer and all kinds of stuff. And the only other link I saw posted treated it like a real condition. This article straight up says that the symptoms' correlation to exposure disappears in double-blind tests.

It is a real mental condition

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

That's hilarious.

Maybe we're really going to see Baggy pants and backwards cap Jesse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

thebardyspoon posted:

Think he's talking about Mike, who definitely knew Gus.
Oops my mistake. I wasn't following that conversation at all apparently!

Kurtofan posted:

That's hilarious.

Maybe we're really going to see Baggy pants and backwards cap Jesse.
My favorite part of that scene was that even if you managed to accept that Saul was meant to be so young, his brother still looked like he was pushing 50.

• Locked thread