Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mr. Stingly posted:

This is what I'm talking about. If you live in some prairie town caked in cow poo poo then all this is a total joke. You hop in your Corolla you paid a couple nickels for at the Piggly Wiggly or HEB, and blow down the 2-lane freeway to whatever IT job you work for whatever farm equipment company and share a laugh about hipsters, clad in your Seinfeld era mom jeans. Unaware like an untouched Amazonian tribe that a few thousand miles away the future is a real thing. There are Teslas all over the road, and if its not a Tesla its a Volt or a Prius or a Leaf or a hybrid. They are a necessity in a densely populated metropolis that must carefully manage and regulate its pollution. You're already an old man, confused by changes you disagree with or don't understand. I saved $15,000 you cry!

Motherfucker, I spend that much on guac.

hipsters wear seinfeld jeans now, look at this old man

also lol if you think everyone drives teslas and volts in nyc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Concerned Citizen posted:

almost as if multiple things can be good and important at the same time

yeah but his money can only be spent on one and he's picked a bunch of dumb boondoggles well byue

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Detroit*Culture - Pizza & House
Pages: 1234567...Last

New Mustang GT350R owns

edit: it has no a/c.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 17, 2015

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I was stuck behind a guy driving a Nissan Leaf for 15 miles on a country road. loving dangerous game that guy was playing right there

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'd rather squat in Detroit for a year addicted to drugs than spend even 1 second in that puke filled poo poo hole known as "new" york

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Another Google talk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HpBHWUPa8Q

Google upper management is so hilariously awkward

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

etalian posted:

Another Google talk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HpBHWUPa8Q

Google upper management is so hilariously awkward

hahaha the first question :negative:

also how cold was it in there that colbert needed to wear a sweater and a north face jacket over it

edit: "Go to Google Play for no deal" lol. Luckily Colbert is so talented he managed to salvage Larry Schmidt's awkward as gently caress interviewing skills

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 18, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

thathonkey posted:

also how cold was it in there that colbert needed to wear a sweater and a north face jacket over it

edit: "Go to Google Play for no deal" lol. Luckily Colbert is so talented he managed to salvage Larry Schmidt's awkward as gently caress interviewing skills

Already posted but the Conan talk is top notch too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7TwqpWiY5s

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

thathonkey posted:

I love how he completely fucks up the lord of the rings metaphor and just starts going off about the eagles hahaha

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
THE FUTURE IS HERE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2haPpLdiqw

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lol

That front piece is kinda important and needs to be strongly connected.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Because I'm not afraid of new technology or because I don't demand new things be made for poors?

I think the goons complaining really hard don't understand that making stupid poo poo for rich people ends up making it easier to make good poo poo for normal people after a certain point.

EDI: Oh wait I mean LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL batteries *fart*.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SaltLick posted:

Lol

lol

http://crankpunk.com/2015/02/16/the-worlds-first-3-d-printed-bike-goes-snap/

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
I wish we used partial-vacuum flywheels instead of li-ion batteries. reasoning: they're cool as hell, they're awesome, and they explode catastrophically if something fucks up

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Carol Pizzamom posted:

I wish we used partial-vacuum flywheels instead of li-ion batteries. reasoning: they're cool as hell, they're awesome, and they explode catastrophically if something fucks up

Wasn't there some company trying to make a hybrid with a big gently caress-off flywheel instead of a battery? Probably didn't work out because a wreck could literally turn the flywheel into a cannonball.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

SaltLick posted:

Lol

I'm not even the kind of engineer who makes bikes and even the token materials strength course I took would be enough for me to realize that a fuckton of shear force is going to be at that point when someone is sitting on it

lol

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Lol it can't take even close to the full weight of a really super skinny person while at a dead stop under a gradual static load

I could make a stronger bike out of a pile of wire coathangers using a pair of pliers, no welding

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Papercut posted:

When I worked for Blue Origin 10+ years ago, they were working on a craft that used a microwave propulsion engine to get past the launch stage. That was complete pie-in-the-sky, but at least it was super ambitious and would have changed space exploration. The current focus on using the same old rockets and fuels and just adding the ability to re-use the components is a completely poo poo way to push science; it's main purpose is exactly what it seems which is to make LEO tourism viable for millionaires instead of just billionaires.
Yeah man what's with this pragmatic engineering poo poo? Using technology appropriate for the purpose without even any microwaves or lasers?

Infrastructure should be designed to be as complex and cutting edge as possible, like the solar roadways. Furthermore I agree that science missions, GPS and the internet are stupid poo poo for rich people and enabling the development of these things through cheaper launch is pretty useless.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Why is there news articles and a press release for the first pass of a student engineering project. Of course its gonna gently caress up, who care.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Why is there news articles and a press release for the first pass of a student engineering project. Of course its gonna gently caress up, who care.

i care because it provided maximum humiliation

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Elukka posted:

Yeah man what's with this pragmatic engineering poo poo? Using technology appropriate for the purpose without even any microwaves or lasers?

Infrastructure should be designed to be as complex and cutting edge as possible, like the solar roadways. Furthermore I agree that science missions, GPS and the internet are stupid poo poo for rich people and enabling the development of these things through cheaper launch is pretty useless.

Don't fight it. In these multi-page 'mock' threads goons progressively sharpen the extremities of opinion until they sound crazy as poo poo, the thread is gassed and it all starts again. See: bitcoins (having bitcoins makes you worse than hitler), Xbox one, etc. etc.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

No, not my bitcoins!! Not them!!!

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

A Yolo Wizard posted:

3d printing a bicycle is such a dumb and inappropriate application of the technology carried 100% by "in 50 years well just print houses and our breakfasts" idiot tech hype, it is super worth mercilessly clowning on

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Concerned Citizen posted:

pie-in-the-sky research is important but so is basic science, which can be made much cheaper to do if space-x's reusable parts technology saves as much money as elon musk claims it will.

It won't, hth

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Elukka posted:

If you don't believe in Space X's approach or funding methods, you're opposed to GPS, the internet, and science. Got it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ambrose Burnside posted:

3d printing a bicycle is such a dumb and inappropriate application of the technology carried 100% by "in 50 years well just print houses and our breakfasts" idiot tech hype, it is super worth mercilessly clowning on

given the demographics of SV, wouldn't it make more sense to focus on 3D printed blow up dolls instead?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

opus111 posted:

Don't fight it. In these multi-page 'mock' threads goons progressively sharpen the extremities of opinion until they sound crazy as poo poo, the thread is gassed and it all starts again. See: bitcoins (having bitcoins makes you worse than hitler), Xbox one, etc. etc.

Technology is pretty cool. Most of SV does not appear to be.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Papercut posted:

If you don't believe in Space X's approach or funding methods, you're opposed to GPS, the internet, and science. Got it.

that post is extra lol considering GPS, the internet, and any "science missions" worth a drat thus far were developed by the public sector.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Elukka posted:

:reddit:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/17/tech/mars-one-final-100/

Mars One: 'We're all going to die, but it's important what you do before you die'

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Nonsense posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/17/tech/mars-one-final-100/

Mars One: 'We're all going to die, but it's important what you do before you die'

It seems awfully confident of them to assume they'll even live to make it to Mars.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Or get off the ground.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Private company explodes 12 rubes.

naem
May 29, 2011

What happens when they've been there 6 months and realize it's a mistake and are trapped

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

raditts posted:

It seems awfully confident of them to assume they'll even live to make it to Mars.

Moreover who sends a middle manager and 8th grade chemistry teacher?

To be fair, I'm all for putting a viable colony on Mars but I'm not seeing this happening anytime soon. 200,000 people and THESE are their frontrunners?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
EDIT: I said a thing but thought better of it because reasons

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

naem posted:

What happens when they've been there 6 months and realize it's a mistake and are trapped

they die*

*they won't get there, they won't get off the ground, this would need to be a multi trillion dollar international effort to even have a cat in hells chance of working

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lil Peeler posted:

Moreover who sends a middle manager and 8th grade chemistry teacher?

To be fair, I'm all for putting a viable colony on Mars but I'm not seeing this happening anytime soon. 200,000 people and THESE are their frontrunners?

anyone with qualifications knows it's a load of crap

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Elukka posted:

agreed, the world wide network of fibre and copper connecting billions of devices is practically stone age technology, as was putting up a system of orbitally stable satellites to provide GPS. these were all v mundane and unexciting ideas which used technology comparable to using flint to light a fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
http://www.fastcompany.com/3042248/the-gig-economy-wont-last-because-its-being-sued-to-death

"Independent contractors" acting like employees are suing a bunch of startups for misclassification and I'm glad of it

Hmm 20-30% labor cost savings for 1099s

• Locked thread