Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Drink up, bitches! We're back!

Soylent announced Wednesday that the company has raised $20 million in a Series A round spearheaded by venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz.

I was actually semi-interested in the product until I discovered that it gives horrible gruesome farts, tastes revolting, and is actually just a knock-off copy of actual product lines made by Ensure and companies who employ real doctors.

I want 20 million dollars and have several terrible ideas, please throw money at me!

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
20 million seems like a lot of money for a practical joke

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

This thread is kindof like a regular startup in that it stole an idea that was already implemented and offers something no one wanted or asked for.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
But it's web-enabled and part of the Internet of Things, so you might as well go with the flow.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
Also Ensure doesn't market to idiot nerds who have a ton of money to burn

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Bhodi posted:

But it's web-enabled and part of the Internet of Things, so you might as well go with the flow.

i will give you an extra 80 mil if you slap adsense into this thread.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

ScrotoTurboSperg posted:

This thread is kindof like a regular startup in that it stole an idea that was already implemented and offers something no one wanted or asked for.

its an app

Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009
goin analog with

moWr

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
im confused, are you banned or not?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Stop asking dumb questions, gotta keep moving, gotta keep hustling for investor cash. I'm pretty sure adblock penetration is about 99.9% for anyone who is reading this, but all is not lost, all you have to do is capture the imagination of someone who is already rich and they'll angel invest you 10 million dollars

quote:

We are delighted to report that technology inventor Elon Musk, creator of Tesla and SpaceX, has decided to donate $10M to the Future of Life Institute to run a global research program aimed at keeping AI beneficial to humanity.

There is now a broad consensus that AI research is progressing steadily, and that its impact on society is likely to increase. A long list of leading AI-researchers have signed an open letter calling for research aimed at ensuring that AI systems are robust and beneficial, doing what we want them to do. Musk's donation aims to support precisely this type of research: "Here are all these leading AI researchers saying that AI safety is important", says Elon Musk. "I agree with them, so I'm today committing $10M to support research aimed at keeping AI beneficial for humanity."

What's that mean? I don't know exactly, considering AI doesn't and won't ever exist but I can spout a lot of empty reassurances for 10m. Can't believe I missed the boat on that one.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 15, 2015

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
"Soylent is a community of people who are enthusiastic about using science to improve food and nutrition," Dixon wrote in the post. "If you look at Soylent as just a food company, you misjudge the core of the company, the same way you would if you looked at GoPro as just a camera company."

:frogout:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Go Pros don't give you lethal farts and taste like quikrete though

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
Rice is like 2 dollars per 100lbs white people are literally loving retarded. What the gently caress is a nutrient?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
so i actually ordered this.

the back story is that i had a job that was about 6 months long and involved 9am-9pm hours. it was usually difficult (read: impossible) to find time to shop for food, so i would eat out or order delivery quite often. my diet was predictably terrible and i wasn't exactly getting a lot of exercise, so i had health concerns. i saw this thing and i was like, hey this is kind of goofy, but a nutritionally complete meal for $3 per - the savings are pretty big compared to the money i was throwing down the drain. i had no intention of replacing all my meals with it, but if i could do maybe a meal or two every once and awhile and it seemed like a net plus. so i ordered like a week (the smallest order you can make) to see what it was like.

that all ended up being fairly irrelevant since it took so long for it to arrive (it finally came in 2 weeks ago) that i no longer worked there, so i just have this soylent.

i've mixed it anyway. the internet told me i should horrendous farts but have more energy than i've ever had and/or become a supergenius. whatever. i actually haven't had any of that. as for flavor, it tastes a little like vanilla. a bit sweet and that's it. it's a fairly neutral taste, which i understand is supposed to be the point. it ended up being ok I guess. the preparation was more work than i anticipated. i thought it'd be a quick 5 minute process, but it turns out that it's essentially undrinkable unless you allow it to sit overnight in the refrigerator. it also only lasts for 48 hours after making it (although an unprepared bag will last for like 6 months if it remains sealed) so it wasn't nearly as convenient as it marketed. the actual preparation time takes about 15 minutes including the time to wash out the container by hand.

anyway that's my review. i guess it's not very exciting but i guess it's kind of funny that i can tell people i drink a thing called soylent. i will probably get more when i end up getting a job similar to the one i had before. some people asked why i didn't get ensure instead - i basically didn't really know ensure was a thing at the time, and anyway my understanding is ensure is actually pretty lovely for you and you'd have to be pretty crazy to take it without an actual medical necessity.

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005

Apthous posted:

Rice is like 2 dollars per 100lbs white people are literally loving retarded. What the gently caress is a nutrient?

Lmao literally tell your kids to bully nerds or they will grow up to be autistic millionaires slowly making GBS threads on humanity

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

this isn't Strapon Culture
disappointed

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Concerned Citizen posted:

the back story is that i had a job that was about 6 months long and involved 9am-9pm hours. it was usually difficult (read: impossible) to find time to shop for food, so i would eat out or order delivery quite often. my diet was predictably terrible and i wasn't exactly getting a lot of exercise, so i had health concerns. i saw this thing and i was like, hey this is kind of goofy, but a nutritionally complete meal for $3 per - the savings are pretty big compared to the money i was throwing down the drain. i had no intention of replacing all my meals with it, but if i could do maybe a meal or two every once and awhile and it seemed like a net plus. so i ordered like a week (the smallest order you can make) to see what it was like.

that all ended up being fairly irrelevant since it took so long for it to arrive (it finally came in 2 weeks ago) that i no longer worked there, so i just have this soylent.

i've mixed it anyway. the internet told me i should horrendous farts but have more energy than i've ever had and/or become a supergenius. whatever. i actually haven't had any of that. as for flavor, it tastes a little like vanilla. a bit sweet and that's it. it's a fairly neutral taste, which i understand is supposed to be the point. it ended up being ok I guess. the preparation was more work than i anticipated. i thought it'd be a quick 5 minute process, but it turns out that it's essentially undrinkable unless you allow it to sit overnight in the refrigerator. it also only lasts for 48 hours after making it (although an unprepared bag will last for like 6 months if it remains sealed) so it wasn't nearly as convenient as it marketed. the actual preparation time takes about 15 minutes including the time to wash out the container by hand.

anyway that's my review. i guess it's not very exciting but i guess it's kind of funny that i can tell people i drink a thing called soylent. i will probably get more when i end up getting a job similar to the one i had before. some people asked why i didn't get ensure instead - i basically didn't really know ensure was a thing at the time, and anyway my understanding is ensure is actually pretty lovely for you and you'd have to be pretty crazy to take it without an actual medical necessity.

Yes ensure is very bad for you that's why hospitals feed it to the very ill you enormous retard

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

plain blue jacket posted:

Yes ensure is very bad for you that's why hospitals feed it to the very ill you enormous retard

yeah well i can't buy the hospital formulations of ensure, i don't want to do so, and i also don't eat with a tube down my throat.

the stuff you buy off the shelves are packed with large amounts of sugar which provide most of the calories, so for the future if i decide to get something like this for convenience (which i may or may not feel the need to) i wouldn't go with ensure, since it wouldn't really be a very big health or cost benefit.

Concerned Citizen fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 15, 2015

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012

Bhodi posted:

What's that mean? I don't know exactly, considering AI doesn't and won't ever exist but I can spout a lot of empty reassurances for 10m. Can't believe I missed the boat on that one.

I will not be happy until my microwave knows to shut itself off when the popcorn stops popping and also thinks that dinosaurs and humans coexisted.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

yeah well i can't buy the hospital formulations of ensure, i don't want to do so, and i also don't eat with a tube down my throat

You can buy ensure in a store

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Bhodi posted:

My brother works at google and the subject of AI came up one time and he basically said "I'm not allowed to really talk about specifics, but you'd be surprised at how advanced AI technology is becoming". I'm still not entirely sure if he was serious or not.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

plain blue jacket posted:

You can buy ensure in a store

right, ensure at the store is lot different than what hospitals feed to like, coma patients and poo poo. it's intended to basically be the cheapest way possible to deliver calories, which is essentially sugar with some vitamins thrown in. again, when i ordered i didn't know ensure was a thing but i probably would have gotten the soylent anyway (not knowing it would take literally months for it to arrive) since it covered basic nutrition better and that was the whole point.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
A co-worker bought some and I gave it a shot. It tastes loving awful and I almost barfed chugging it down.

I did have bad gas afterwards though.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

right, ensure at the store is lot different than what hospitals feed to like, coma patients and poo poo. it's intended to basically be the cheapest way possible to deliver calories, which is essentially sugar with some vitamins thrown in. again, when i ordered i didn't know ensure was a thing but i probably would have gotten the soylent anyway (not knowing it would take literally months for it to arrive) since it covered basic nutrition better and that was the whole point.

I'm not really sure if you're serious or not so bon appetit I guess

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

dude they have like 3 people wearing flip flops and t shirts mixing that poo poo in open bins from wal mart. loving ensure has to comply with fda regulations at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
reminder that soylent's much-touted scientific commitment to nutrition research consists of some guy with no training making a guess as to what would work and flinging a bunch of poo poo together in a big pot in a dirty warehouse

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

I'm Crap posted:

reminder that soylent's much-touted scientific commitment to nutrition research consists of some guy with no training making a guess as to what would work and flinging a bunch of poo poo together in a big pot in a dirty warehouse

He will be bought out by pets.com and retire with a couple of billion dollars in a few years.

open container
Sep 16, 2008
you guys are just jealous you didn't think of hacking food first

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

I'm Crap posted:

Well I'm sure he's had numerous medical studies done on his product to prove his claims

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

SniperWoreConverse posted:

dude they have like 3 people wearing flip flops and t shirts mixing that poo poo in open bins from wal mart. loving ensure has to comply with fda regulations at least

i don't disagree, they seem like a fly-by-night operation so for all i know i ingested rat poo poo. i actually kind of expected something to be overtly wrong with the order, but i guess i didn't get sick so it couldn't have been too terrible. unless it's chock full of arsenic and asbestos, in which case i guess i'll find out in like 15 years that i was poisoned by soylent. what a way to die.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

What percentage increase has drinking Soylent made to your over-all life efficiency rating? Please use an exact number. No rounding.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Typical Pubbie posted:

What percentage increase has drinking Soylent made to your over-all life efficiency rating? Please use an exact number.

it has actually been a net negative. at least -2

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
So if you have to spend 5-15 minutes preparing your soylent the night before you want to drink it, how is it anymore convenient than most kinds of foods people use as easy lunches? Like what's stopping you from making a sandwhich in that time then just taking it to work with you the next day?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

ArbitraryC posted:

So if you have to spend 5-15 minutes preparing your soylent the night before you want to drink it, how is it anymore convenient than most kinds of foods people use as easy lunches? Like what's stopping you from making a sandwhich in that time then just taking it to work with you the next day?

well i typically ate all 3 meals at work during the week, and shopping for food was time i didn't have. especially if i wanted an actually healthy meal. but yeah, the 48 hour time limit and the fact that you have to leave it overnight definitely makes it not quite ideal.

edit: to clarify, when you make soylent you can prepare an entire pouch, which is 3 meals. so if i wanted to have 3 meals i could spend 15 minutes to prepare an entire's day worth of meals which is pretty efficient as far as time goes. however, i like eating food and an entire life of soylent would be a kind of hell. i would not want to eat nothing but soylent every day.

Concerned Citizen fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 15, 2015

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

well i typically ate all 3 meals at work during the week, and shopping for food was time i didn't have. especially if i wanted an actually healthy meal. but yeah, the 48 hour time limit and the fact that you have to leave it overnight definitely makes it not quite ideal.

edit: to clarify, when you make soylent you can prepare an entire pouch, which is 3 meals. so if i wanted to have 3 meals i could spend 15 minutes to prepare an entire's day worth of meals which is pretty efficient as far as time goes. however, i like eating food and an entire life of soylent would be a kind of hell.

Did you also commute 2 hours each way to work too? Even with a 12 hour day I'd at least be able to cook dinner or breakfast. Steak, eggs, etc. Quick and easy. Oh also if you are blessed with carnicerias nearby, buy your meat from there. Hell, cook a batch of carne asada in advance and make your own burritos before work every day.

e: just don't drink cum dude

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Next time you get too busy to cook just invest in a $20 rice maker. If you add a can of beans or lentils* to the rice you'll have a complete protein. You can also toss in some seasoning and some frozen/canned veggies so it tastes good. It takes like 2 mins to toss together and it stores nicely in the fridge for a few days worth of cheap lunches.

*If you don't want terrible farts you want to dump the contents of the can into a colander and rinse it under the tap for a good 30 seconds or so before you dump it in with the rice.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I mean sure you could eat non-mexican meat but then you would not receive the carniceria blessing

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
So I booked a ride in an Uber cab today. . .

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol at anyone who bought and tried this poo poo. Any other snake oil out there worth a shot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
i have a solution for people moaning about not being able to get food at work

its called a packed lunch

• Locked thread