Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Okay, what the gently caress is going on. I listened to grandma's super long story without the all night mask, and I get a mark in my notebook that I failed the quest. I do with the mask on, and nothing happens, besides me getting the story. Nothing! No reward, no mark, no nothing. I know there's only one heart piece to get and I already got that from listening to the shorter story, but is it now literally impossible for me to complete the notebook? Did I glitch the game somehow? Has anyone else tried doing this and had some trouble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Amppelix posted:

Okay, what the gently caress is going on. I listened to grandma's super long story without the all night mask, and I get a mark in my notebook that I failed the quest. I do with the mask on, and nothing happens, besides me getting the story. Nothing! No reward, no mark, no nothing. I know there's only one heart piece to get and I already got that from listening to the shorter story, but is it now literally impossible for me to complete the notebook? Did I glitch the game somehow? Has anyone else tried doing this and had some trouble?

That's a trick question. Also, no, there are two heart pieces to be had from grandma.

If you answer that you understood Grandma's story, you fail the check, but if you admit it was a bit too much for you, she'll console you with some candy (another piece of heart).

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is it worth it to buy all a Majora's Mask guide? I feel like I'm being a stupid, but I also feel like I'm missing things. Like, I'm at the swamp now solely because the lil fairy dude told me to come here, but I don't know if there's another place I should be visiting beforehand solely for benefit.

And is this Deku game hard as hell or do I just fundamentally suck at it?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I can't wait to get this game tomorrow, along with my skull kid figure

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

noirstronaut posted:

Day 2 is horrible

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

noirstronaut posted:

Is it worth it to buy all a Majora's Mask guide? I feel like I'm being a stupid, but I also feel like I'm missing things. Like, I'm at the swamp now solely because the lil fairy dude told me to come here, but I don't know if there's another place I should be visiting beforehand solely for benefit.

You should just wander around for a while and see if you can figure things out on your own before you consult a guide. This game has a tooooon of side content compared to OoT and only like 4 dungeons so don't feel like you "aren't making progress" if you aren't like just bouncing from dungeon to dungeon with nothing in between.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

noirstronaut posted:

Sounds like you're doing fine, and no you don't need a guide. The Sheikah Stone inside the Clock Tower shows where all the Stray Fairies and Heart Pieces are, along with story progression guides. The Bombers Gang members wandering around town will also run up to if they have new rumours to share (these get logged in your Notebook and point to sidequest starters). The rest is stuff you can find just by wandering about and seeing things, which is half the fun. Also, Tatl's reminders are just a general "the next temple's this-a-way" at the start of a cycle if you haven't gone there yet. You're under no obligation whatsoever to listen immediately, and it's worth burning a cycle to just wander around town and see what happens on different times of different days.

Here's some events around Clock Town that might help you get started;

• Midnight of The First Day, North Clock Town.
  • The Laundry Pool, Night of the First or Second Day
  • Romani Ranch, The Third Day (do the Laundry Pool first). This will get you the Bunny Hood, which makes you run much faster and is insanely useful for traveling about until you get another Mask later.
  • The Mayor's Office, during any Day as Link

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

noirstronaut posted:

Unless you're gonna be without internet access, no. Literally everything you need is online. There's enough unchanged content that the vast majority of n64 guides should get you where you need to go.

Don't feel bad about not making "progress" in the game. Because of the minimal content in the dungeons, most of the fun in this game comes from faffing about and stumbling onto something new.

Obligatory Toast fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 18, 2015

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

noirstronaut posted:

This might help.
http://www.zeldadungeon.net/majoras-mask-walkthrough/

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I went to the Laundry Pool at night and talked to the guy to the left. Goru or something? He told me to go home because I was a child. I also see a frog, but what the hell do I do with a frog?

Also, is it a problem if I don't beat the game until the 50th cycle or something?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

I went to the Laundry Pool at night and talked to the guy to the left. Goru or something? He told me to go home because I was a child. I also see a frog, but what the hell do I do with a frog?

Also, is it a problem if I don't beat the game until the 50th cycle or something?

You should've taken your mask off. Yes, Link is still a child even without a mask, but roll with it.

You can take as much time as you like. Despite the constant time pressure there is no actual time pressure. The game is meant to be explored thoroughly.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

noirstronaut posted:

Nope, you're supposed to be resetting time, all the time. One thing I will tell you about that the game doesn't and probably should is the Song of Double Time (play the Song of Time notes twice each until it activates) and the Song of Reverse Time (play it backwards). First one lets you skip to wherever you want in time, second one slows down time substantially.

You might know this already, but if you've never played the game before and don't look at a guide it's not immediately obvious.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

noirstronaut posted:

Just keep a note on both those dudes for now. The guy with the music box you can come back and see after the first cycle is done with. The frog will be a later side quest you can't do for a while to say the least.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

noirstronaut posted:

No. Cycle as much as you want. Also try the hint stone in the door behind where you start a cycle. It has literally all the hints you need to 100%

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah, don't stress about doing the "right thing" or whatever, just explore at your own pace. Part of the fun and appeal of MM is that you can go into virtually any building, talk to virtually any person, and there'll be some little story to them that often culminates with a reward for seeing it to its conclusion.

The one piece of advice I'd give you this early would be that if you're going to do the deku minigame or the darling shop minigames, make sure and do them all 3 days. Both of them will give you a heart piece but only if you do them all 3 days in one cycle, so doing it just one day is a waste of time.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Bwee posted:

Cool thanks for letting us know

I feel like, as the most important poster in the thread, that people should know exactly what I'm up to.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's funny, because for a game with a ticking clock, it really is pretty relaxed about you actually having all the time in the world 90 percent of the time. The other 10 percent is when you're trying to find dungeons fairies or complete Sakon's trap dungeon.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Bicyclops posted:

It's funny, because for a game with a ticking clock, it really is pretty relaxed about you actually having all the time in the world 90 percent of the time. The other 10 percent is when you're trying to find dungeons fairies or complete Sakon's trap dungeon.

Yes, this is why when my friend tells me that MM is a bad Zelda game because the clock is too stressful what I say is "you're welcome to your opinion" but what I think is "you're a loving idiot and I long for the day when I can hold a pillow over your face until you stop twitching"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It occurs to me that this remake wasted its real best opportunity by not buying the rights to the sad Charlie Brown Christmas song, so that when you go outside and talk to the Goron whose room you steal and he says "Tomorrow it will rain, goro," it could begin playing as he shivered in the cold.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Bicyclops posted:

It occurs to me that this remake wasted its real best opportunity by not buying the rights to the sad Charlie Brown Christmas song, so that when you go outside and talk to the Goron whose room you steal and he says "Tomorrow it will rain, goro," it could begin playing as he shivered in the cold.

Making Link-goro sleep outside always makes me feel really bad :(

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I'm not sure if I like or dislike that you can quite simply do one quest at a time and reset much easier with the new system. If you know what you are doing, there's absolutely no waiting at all anymore.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

mastajake posted:

I'm not sure if I like or dislike that you can quite simply do one quest at a time and reset much easier with the new system. If you know what you are doing, there's absolutely no waiting at all anymore.

You could do that before though? I mean it wasn't as easy to skip and you still had to wait a few minutes but you very well could just dedicate each cycle to doing one quest and only one quest at a time.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I mean it doesn't force you to use the time-skipping so I'm glad it's there, really. This is a handheld game, after all.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
More like a hand holding game, BOOM! Ya burnt, loving casuals!

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Why do so many gamers seem to think "challenging" is the same thing as "inconvenient"?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Beats me. I've always wondered why people seem to think bosses that take longer are always harder even though it might just be a lot of waiting.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Captain Mog posted:

Why do so many gamers seem to think "challenging" is the same thing as "inconvenient"?

I seriously think there are people old enough now who played video games back in the day who hate change for the sake of hating change.

In the 90's/80's...

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The only change I really actively dislike is saving. Like I get it wasn't the most convenient thing in the world on the N64 and things really do need to change since it's now on a handheld system... But you couldn't really save and retry things over and over and over so it really played into the whole Groundhog Day aspect of things-- to try things again you had to reset time. Plus the only true way to save the game was to reset time, so very frequently the first thing you saw on fresh boots of the game was DAWN OF THE FIRST DAY 72 HOURS REMAIN and to me that really set the mood.

I dunno. It's just me, really.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I dislike it too for the same reasons but from a gameplay perspective it was probably necessary. Not just for because it is a handheld game but because Majora's Mask's original system made people freak the hell out.

I still think the 72-hour cycle works best if you have to restart it and I wish it was at least an option.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

As a player of a video game, I really appreciate not having to redo stuff like the entire Anju and Kafei quest because I messed up in Sakon's hideout or whatever. It does make it feel slightly less immersive though if you can just reset and redo a thing instead of being locked into your mistakes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

As a player of a video game, I really appreciate not having to redo stuff like the entire Anju and Kafei quest because I messed up in Sakon's hideout or whatever. It does make it feel slightly less immersive though if you can just reset and redo a thing instead of being locked into your mistakes.

Yeah, I enjoy video games where you are locked into mistakes and have to deal with it but I can understand why that feeling isn't universal.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You don't really have to deal with it, though, you just have to wait a very long time for another try.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

just play the game son jesus

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

That's what he means by dealing with it, the consequence of screwing up in Majora's Mask means you have to wait to do it again. It's a lenient consequence, sure, but that time you spend redoing the sidequest could have been spent doing something else, like a different sidequest or exploring a dungeon.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I mean the saving works basically like the original if you can resist the siren's song of savescumming.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Looking back I don't remember even being stressed about the clock or the save system at all. And this was the first 3D adventure game I ever played, and I 100 percent completed it. I just didn't remember that the fairies don't come back with you in time.

I actually only got Majora's Mask because my birthday was coming up and I wanted a video game for it and it was coming out around the same time. I had never heard of Legend of Zelda before that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

You don't really have to deal with it, though, you just have to wait a very long time for another try.

Yeah, but "tension of wasted time" is a valid gameplay design mechanic. Alien: Isolation is another recent example of a game to use it. It isn't for everyone but knowing you only have one shot can make things tense.

Of course it doesn't work for every game or every mechanic and I don't blame them for changing it. I just liked it more in this case.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Honestly I forget to save until I restart time anyway so it's like the new save system was never implemented.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

I mean the saving works basically like the original if you can resist the siren's song of savescumming.

Not really. Playing the Song of Time doesn't save the game anymore, so if you want to just restart time then save, you have to go to the owl statue near the clock tower. This doesn't sound like a big deal but that means you aren't greeted with DAWN OF THE FIRST DAY 72 HOURS REMAIN when you boot up the game next time.

It's a really minor thing but it's just a minor thing that I liked a whole lot. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

Not really. Playing the Song of Time doesn't save the game anymore, so if you want to just restart time then save, you have to go to the owl statue near the clock tower. This doesn't sound like a big deal but that means you aren't greeted with DAWN OF THE FIRST DAY 72 HOURS REMAIN when you boot up the game next time.

It's a really minor thing but it's just a minor thing that I liked a whole lot. :(
Letting you save whenever at owl statues was a Good Decision, but not giving the choice to save when you play the Song of Time was a Bad Decision.

• Locked thread