Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Second point first - ISW plays it on the nose. It's up to you whether or not that's acceptable, or if they pull it off, but they are knowingly presenting a very broad satire of, well, a lot of things, for better or worse. I've seen people call it a great sendup, and I've seen people call it garbage. It's one of those things that's hard to explain, gotta see for yourself.

Now, the Moolah thing. Here's a skin-crawling article about the son of Sweet Georgia Brown, one of Moolah's wrestlers. It's pretty... suggestive. http://www.free-times.com/archives/baby-of-sweet-georgia-brown

There's a documentary that came out in 2004 that has interviews with a lot of the wrestlers from that era - including Moolah - and I've heard they go into it to a degree. I can't vouch for it, as I have not watched it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipstick_and_Dynamite,_Piss_and_Vinegar:_The_First_Ladies_of_Wrestling

I remember hearing there was a Luna shoot interview where she basically called Moolah a pimp. Sadly, I know I've read plenty more, but I can't remember specifics for poo poo. Like there's a line that sticks out - something like "they'd beat me, rape me, and occasionally pay me," but I can't find out who said it. That's all I got for now.

I've heard pretty unanimous praise for Lipstick and Dynamite. I'd like to see that, and the entirety of GAEA Girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

That DICK! posted:

I believe there was an El Homo Loco

That's a really really good wrestling name to be fair

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

flashy_mcflash posted:

I remember this comment but was it actually about Paige? I want to know who Meltz thinks he has a shot with.

Daffney wasn't it?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

Daffney wasn't it?

It was Bailey.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Certain be also said it about Daffney, maybe originally, just when she got injured in TNA and left the business.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Meltzer wrote a paragraph about Daffney around 2009 or so that essentially said only chin beard Wrestling fans who lived their basements liked Daffney. If seemed like a thinly veiled shot at the F4W message board who were loving her at the time.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

rovert posted:

Meltzer wrote a paragraph about Daffney around 2009 or so that essentially said only chin beard Wrestling fans who lived their basements liked Daffney. If seemed like a thinly veiled shot at the F4W message board who were loving her at the time.

Who precisely does Meltzer think his audience is? Wealthy European princesses?

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014
Crank up the hype machine. A (last) NJPW run would be a great thing for Joe, if it happened.

projecthalaxy posted:

Who precisely does Meltzer think his audience is? Wealthy European princesses?
Well, I for one certainly am.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Yeah Meltzer definitely said it about Paige, probably about AJ as well.

Big Dave has a long history of scoring with AJPW babes in the 90s though, so he knows what's up.

Dave Meltzer has to earn his sources trust some way guys....

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Now i think about it, maybe it was on the board he said it.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

quote:

This week also made evident TNA has a star out of nowhere on its hands in Daffney. It wasn’t so much her work in a Monsters Ball match, which included having Abyss throw her over the top rope to be caught by Raven and Dr. Stevie, being put through a table by Taylor Wilde, and taking a bump into thumb tacks by Abyss, but her look. One of big mistakes WWE has made with its women’s division is that all of the women have the glamour star look about them. People will watch them because they are pretty but you don’t get the connection to them because the audience doesn’t relate with them. WWE last had that type of character in Lita, who at her peak as one of the most over women characters in company history. Gina Carano has that as well, which is why Carano is so much bigger of a star, and gets more attention for her looks than women who are far prettier and with better bodies, and with less television visibility, is a multiple time bigger star than any woman on the WWE roster. Daffney’s deal as this woman with the good body but more raunchy, not the slightest bit glamorous, is, as one person saw it, the one that every “loser” type has the hots for because in their fantasies, they can’t imagine ever even feeling they are in the league with a WWE diva or The Beautiful People (who in are also used better than the WWE women because they are pushed as personalities and not just women in bikinis who wrestle, more often than not, badly). But they all see Daffney as this sexy woman who isn’t out of their league, at least in their own mind. The huge spike in her quarter hour this past week was something I figured considering how every web site after the show was filled with posts about people lusting after her, even though there are dozens of women on these shows just as pretty or prettier who are out there every week and nobody has that reaction.

- June 29, 2009 Observer Newsletter

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
.. I... I just liked her 'cause she screamed and did a frankensteiner sometimes v:shobon:v

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Discount Trombones posted:

Crank up the hype machine. A (last) NJPW run would be a great thing for Joe, if it happened.
I hope Joe joins the Bulletclub just to piss off the people who hate the Bulletclub because they hate fun heels

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

rovert posted:

The Moolah Wrestling Observer obiturary covers a lot of it too. Sadly I don't think it is online.

A lot of her students were runaways and she exploited them on every level. Remember if they left Moolah would ensure they wouldn't be booked anywhere.

Sent in a question last weekend asking what the hell was the deal with Women's Wrestling falling so hard in the 50s. He said he'd try to get to it on Monday's show - but I don't think he did.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

achillesforever6 posted:

I hope Joe joins the Bulletclub just to piss off the people who hate the Bulletclub because they hate fun heels

Who the gently caress hates Bullet Club

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Me

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

i don't hate the bullet club but i think joe immediately joining the bullet club like all gaijin have does both a disservice to joe and dilutes the bullet club.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Lotta people were mad when they won everything at the first New Beginning show.

Not me though too sweet me bro!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

i don't hate the bullet club but i think joe immediately joining the bullet club like all gaijin have does both a disservice to joe and dilutes the bullet club.

But I also agree with this.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

rovert posted:

- June 29, 2009 Observer Newsletter

Wasn't that the match that injured her that led to the lawsuit?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I think that was the match with the untrained 500 pound woman who sat on her and broke her ribs.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

kdrudy posted:

Wasn't that the match that injured her that led to the lawsuit?

It was the match with some huge badly trained female wrestler that busted his sternum. Trained in Bully Ray's school no less!

edit: Rosie Lotta Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw8eBSTZ_AU

Pretty much Mabel'ed her

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Rosie Lottalove lost over 100 pounds and goes by the name Andrea now. She's in SHINE currently as abodyguard to So Cal Val and her stable called Valifornia.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
And naturally, she's feuding with Daffney's All Star Squad. And BONUS: her finisher is a torture rack powerbomb! I can't see a problem with any of that!!!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

WTF is a torture rack powerbomb

Also good for her

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Am I right for remembering Moolah's the major reason US Women's wrestling is a joke? Like, she discouraged women from being better wrestlers than her, and she honestly kinda sucked performance wise?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

NameHurtBrain posted:

Am I right for remembering Moolah's the major reason US Women's wrestling is a joke? Like, she discouraged women from being better wrestlers than her, and she honestly kinda sucked performance wise?

This is true, aside from the part about discouraging other women from being better. She just plain sucked herself.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

The BC should not add anybody unless they lose a member or two, and they already have the big Polynesian dude spot taken care of.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Thauros posted:

The BC should not add anybody unless they lose a member or two, and they already have the big Polynesian dude spot taken care of.

samoa joe is not big he's just fat

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
id far prefer him to do his own thing or be in suzuki-gun if he's gonna be in njpw

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I remember hearing there was a Luna shoot interview where she basically called Moolah a pimp. Sadly, I know I've read plenty more, but I can't remember specifics for poo poo. Like there's a line that sticks out - something like "they'd beat me, rape me, and occasionally pay me," but I can't find out who said it. That's all I got for now.

It was Sherri Martel who said it. She told a story about being sent to a territory to unknowingly act as "favours" for the boys, but when she arrived discovering the situation and getting out of it as quickly as possible.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I really want Joe/Honma just for the montage of Joe casually walking away from kokeshi attempts that the match would produce.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Thauros posted:

Bullet club should be bigger than nwo black and white and red and black combined.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

New Japan Pro Wrestling should change its name to Bullet Club Pro Wrestling

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oatgan posted:

New Japan Pro Wrestling should change its name to Bullet Club Pro Wrestling

The enuhito dude proposed that they promote+tour their own Bullet Club shows lol

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Fauxhawk Express posted:

This is true, aside from the part about discouraging other women from being better. She just plain sucked herself.

It's kind of sad to see her at the 87 Survivor Series doing next to nothing while the Jumping Bomb Angels are flying all over the place.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I found this exchange amusing. For 2015, Chikara's doing this massive, overly-complicated stable-based round robin tournament. The other night they had a draft. Sidney Bakabella manages five guys: Max Smashmaster, Blaster McMassive, Flex Rumblecrunch, Jaka and Oleg the Usurper (who is treated like poo poo for a slow-burn face turn). UltraMantis black ended up drafting Flex and Jaka onto his team along with one half of the Batiri. That leaves the other team as Smashmaster, Blaster, Oleg and the other guy from the Batiri. Bakabella went nuts over Twitter, offering UltraMantis his son's brand new NES, the ability to be booked in Hawaii, etc. Finally, we got this.

Shortly after he tweeted: "HEY @OlegTheUsurper YOU JUST GOT TRADED DUMMY. PACK YOUR BAGS. I'M STILL YOUR MANAGER THOUGH SO I GET A CUT OF YOUR PAY AND YOU LISTEN TO ME"

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

NameHurtBrain posted:

Essentially. The pre-Moolah North American Women's Wrestling style was a lot more athletic and "Joshi" like. Moolah ended up controlling the supply of female wrestlers and how they were trained.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I've heard pretty unanimous praise for Lipstick and Dynamite. I'd like to see that, and the entirety of GAEA Girls.

I watched Lipstick & Dynamite on Netflix and I know I've posted this before but almost all the interviews talk about how decades ago they would go and wrestle and afterward the promoter would rape them and pay them or sometimes just rape them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
So Quack is booking the Team Challenge Series now? Oh boy!