Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think Try is mostly just disappointing because we know they can do better. The original show certainly had its share of cliches but it never really felt boring or overly-dramatic about them. The closest it game was the Aila plotline and that ended with her sad tragedy being adverted by Reiji going "Uh, you can come and stay with me you know" and her promptly telling her evil captors to gently caress off which was a super-refreshing subversion of the tragic Newtype girlfriend story.

I mean maybe next episode will be a clever subversion of everything that has happened so far and this episode was just kind of weak, but Try isn't like aggressively terrible like Age or anything. It's just disappointing because it can so very easily do better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I mean maybe next episode will be a clever subversion of everything that has happened so far and this episode was just kind of weak, but Try isn't like aggressively terrible like Age or anything. It's just disappointing because it can so very easily do better.

I know it won't happen, but I dearly wish for next week's fight to be 15 minutes of Sekai getting pwned, then Junya turns around and we get an "Oh, an SD, this'll be easaaarghmyballs" Winning Curbstomp.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The best possible resolution to the fight would be Sekai realizing that he simply can't win on his own, yeah. It would also be an extremely shounen resolution; "You may be stronger than me, but POWER OF FRIENDSHIP!"

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

DigitalRaven posted:

I know it won't happen, but I dearly wish for next week's fight to be 15 minutes of Sekai getting pwned, then Junya turns around and we get an "Oh, an SD, this'll be easaaarghmyballs" Winning Curbstomp.

Winning Curbstomp would be the best ending to this silliness. :allears:

Quad Cape
Dec 24, 2012
next episode won't recreate ep 45 of g gundam (farewell master asia) so we can only hope for a hail mary from winning gundam

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Really, Build Fighters Try just reeks of executive meddling at this point, which even goes so far as to be worse at advertising Gunpla than its predecessor.

Also, I'm starting to get a little annoyed at the cliffhangers.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

StrifeHira posted:

Winning Curbstomp would be the best ending to this silliness. :allears:
I can see it now: Junya defeats Sekai, gives this long-winded speech about absolute power or something equally dumb, and then he turns just as Fumina busts a cap in his face, winning the match.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Double Inazuma Kick.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
The last thing he hears is "Double Winning Booooomerang!" as those pointy bits from the shins fly at him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

Really, Build Fighters Try just reeks of executive meddling at this point, which even goes so far as to be worse at advertising Gunpla than its predecessor.

I feel like there has to be something going on behind the scenes, yeah.

The real heavy downplaying of Gundam elements is sort of weird too. I wonder if that was mandated to avoid confusing new (young) viewers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like there has to be something going on behind the scenes, yeah.

The real heavy downplaying of Gundam elements is sort of weird too. I wonder if that was mandated to avoid confusing new (young) viewers.

Yeah, the series is a victim of its own success :commissar:. They did extremely well on their own, so obviously supervision is required to ensure it continues to happen.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

ImpAtom posted:

Oh no, I have consistent opinions. I am a terrible person and should be ashamed.

More like you're repeating yourself, we get it you hate Sekai, let's move onto the next subject: does Gundam-in-Denial posess the same assimilation voodoo as the try burning.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

More like you're repeating yourself, we get it you hate Sekai, let's move onto the next subject: does Gundam-in-Denial posess the same assimilation voodoo as the try burning.

More than half the posts since the episode came out have been people talking about their problems with the episode and Sekai as a character so I'm not sure why you decided to single me out. v:shobon:v

Also I doubt it. Assimilation is probably what is going to get Sekai the win but he'll get hurt doing it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ka0 posted:

The Build Burning Gundam's Assimilation system was around with it ever since Sei used it some years back, so it's actually not impossible for it to turn up in someone else's machine now.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

I want to like it, I really, really want to like it. :(

Sekai is just so loving boring that it boggles the mind. He is some sort of black hole of charisma and fun that just brings down everything around him and it is astonishing. I give G-Reco a lot of poo poo for its wacky writing style and pointless character actions, but the funny thing is I do that because I can see a show that I think would be spectacular if they gave it another round or two of editing.

There is nothing you could do to fix Sekai's current place in the plot with mere editing. To fix Sekai at this point would essentially require rewriting the character and most of his interactions from scratch. His lack of interest in Gunpla, his boring fights, his total lack of charisma, his lack of humor... there is nothing about Sekai that makes me want to see him on this goddamned show.

Build Fighters Try has a lot of problems, from its 'team' fights, supporting cast etc, but with Sekai at its lead I just can't feel the need to give a gently caress most episodes, and that is a huge, huge failing on their part coming off what was probably my favourite show to date.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ka0 posted:

Not to defend ImpAtom (god forbid) but do you not? Sekai is one of the worst written characters I've seen in ages. Apart from a handful of small character moments (such as his reaction to the Tryon 3) he is the blandest protagonist I think Gundam has ever had, and his fight scenes are godawful.

Someone mentioned upthread, but the worst part about Sekai's fighting is how it lacks any fluidity. The Build Strike was constantly adjusting tactics, using different methods of fighting, and that style is present in almost everyone else even in this series. Sekai on the other hand is dull. Jigen Haou Ryu! PUNCH! Jigen Haou Ryu! Fancy Kiiiiiick!

It isn't interesting to watch, and it breaks up every bit of flow the show has. The only thing Sekai is supposedly good at in the show is fighting, and his fights are boring to watch which is a massive sin.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There were a fair amount of things mandated by executives in the first season as well and that turned out alright. Considering how deeply entrenched the problems with Sekai are, I think it's perfectly fair to put a lot of blame on the writer for how he has been handled.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Hell, he'd have at least been entertaining if he actually used martial arts. The first fight you see him in, he kicks rear end with just a Dom using simple strikes and blows. All he's done in every other fight (admittedly except for Shimon's bout) is to float around until it's time to break out JIIIGEN HAAOOOHHH Move No.1/2/3/4.

And as for that being annoying on its own, it really, really is. Yes, other anime and videogames call their attacks, but they'd only call the goddamn move itself. It's short and punctuates the strike (even Mirai's does this far better than Sekai's). Here it's just dull because we've heard it twenty goddamn times already :cripes:.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Caros posted:

Not to defend ImpAtom (god forbid) but do you not? Sekai is one of the worst written characters I've seen in ages. Apart from a handful of small character moments (such as his reaction to the Tryon 3) he is the blandest protagonist I think Gundam has ever had, and his fight scenes are godawful.

Someone mentioned upthread, but the worst part about Sekai's fighting is how it lacks any fluidity. The Build Strike was constantly adjusting tactics, using different methods of fighting, and that style is present in almost everyone else even in this series. Sekai on the other hand is dull. Jigen Haou Ryu! PUNCH! Jigen Haou Ryu! Fancy Kiiiiiick!

It isn't interesting to watch, and it breaks up every bit of flow the show has. The only thing Sekai is supposedly good at in the show is fighting, and his fights are boring to watch which is a massive sin.

Can I just ask, without trying to be a dickhole; why do you focus so many words on this one character that you don't like about this anime where gunpla fight each other in virtual-reality magic machines.

Caros posted:

There is nothing you could do to fix Sekai's current place in the plot with mere editing. To fix Sekai at this point would essentially require rewriting the character and most of his interactions from scratch. His lack of interest in Gunpla, his boring fights, his total lack of charisma, his lack of humor... there is nothing about Sekai that makes me want to see him on this goddamned show.

Yes, you could have him walk into a store, meet Sei/Takeshi/Sakai whoever, then have him build another gunpla and use it himself.

Ka0 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 19, 2015

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Because he takes up so much screentime, I assume.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ka0 posted:

Can I just ask, without trying to be a dickhole; why do you focus so many words on this one character that you don't like about this anime where gunpla fight each other in virtual-reality magic machines.

Like all sports anime, no matter the activity be it baseball, fighting with toy robots, or competitive underwater basket weaving, the strength of the character writing can make or break the show. It's hard to get invested in someone you don't give a poo poo about.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ka0 posted:

Yes, you could have him walk into a store, meet Sei/Takeshi/Sakai whoever, then have him build another gunpla and use it himself.

This bland anime protag is somehow a million billion times more bland and boring than every other character in fiction and also he killed my dog and might be the new Hitler.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If Sekai was the star of Chihayafuru it wouldn't be beloved, that's for sure...

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Can we all just calm down and discuss what our feelings are and what our motivations are for posting in this thread? I need you all to feel my spirit.

Also everyone pair up and choose rivals arbitrarily. When you see that person post nod your head knowingly and say 'thats my rival'. Lets bring the fun home.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

Because the last series, which also was about gunpla fighting in virtual-reality magic machines, did it better. The "well, what are you expecting from the show?!" argument falls really flat when what people are expecting is "the previous season."

It's not like Caros is being unfair to the show in particular or something. v:shobon:v I don't agree with all his opinions but he's being honest about them.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 19, 2015

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ka0 posted:

Because I write for a living and I can type out a post of that length in about thirty seconds? If you want to see what an effort post from me looks like go to D&D and look in the libertarian thread.

That said, its because Sekai is the protagonist of the show. I want Build Fighters Try to succeed because I like Build Fighters and would like to see more of it (albeit more written like season one than two). Sekai is an incredibly poorly written character who drags down what could otherwise be a pretty good show.

quote:

You misunderstand my point. When I say there is nothing you can do to fix Sekai without editing I mean that just that. In G-Reco you could fix a lot of the problems that I have with the show by adding a throw away line here, or omitting a dumb scene there without directly having to change all that much of the show. By contrast, to fix Sekai in Build Fighters Try would have required pretty substantial rewrites to the character that we've seen so far. For example, you'd have to rewrite basically every fight he has been in since the opening and possibly the boxing match, because they've been boring as gently caress.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

My gunpla is a schussrum-gallus with titus-shoulders for fists and a high-mobility zulu backpack.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Srice posted:

If Sekai was the star of Chihayafuru it wouldn't be beloved, that's for sure...

Every couplet now starts with JIGEN HAOH RYU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Blackchamber posted:

Can we all just calm down and discuss what our feelings are and what our motivations are for posting in this thread? I need you all to feel my spirit.

Also everyone pair up and choose rivals arbitrarily. When you see that person post nod your head knowingly and say 'that's my rival'. Lets bring the fun home.

If there was an "Upvote" button, I'd be mashing it right now.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Blackchamber posted:

Also everyone pair up and choose rivals arbitrarily. When you see that person post nod your head knowingly and say 'thats my rival'. Lets bring the fun home.

The gently caress is this calming down? If you want me to feel your spirit I have to punch you, that is how it works.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Swagger Dagger posted:

Every couplet now starts with JIGEN HAOH RYU

No

NO

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

My fist has ears you see.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

VolticSurge posted:

If there was an "Upvote" button, I'd be mashing it right now.

*nods* thats my rival...

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Build Fighters Try is basically what I thought Build Fighters was going to be like.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

Build Fighters Try is basically what I thought Build Fighters was going to be like.

You cursed it from the very get go by bringing up the Season 2 folly. This is all your fault, I want you to know that.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This bland anime protag is somehow a million billion times more bland and boring than every other character in fiction and also he killed my dog and might be the new Hitler.

No you see he's a black hole of charisma that sucks all joy and fun from my life like some kind of hosed up emotion vampire. My world is colorless and grey now. I can't hear any birds singing, or wind whistling through the trees. All I hear are muffled shouts of JIGEN HAOU, as I sink further and further into the black.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ImpAtom posted:

That's the hosed up thing! It really looks like they don't want to praise Gundam and Gunpla in favor of trying their best to be a generic shounen sports anime.

It would make logical sense, too. The first one was clearly made by people who love the franchise and hobby. All the ways this show dances around mentioning other shows in the franchise feels very much like somebody's in the room saying, "I don't get it, why are you talking about other anime? Don't do that!" who doesn't really like the shows or even watch them in the first place.

The success of Build Fighters Try is the Hi-Mock of itself; a featureless knock-off that is intensely lovable under the surface and when it's allowed to be played with.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ka0 posted:

Let's take a look at the three main characters and their development over the series;

Fumina; Started off trying to support her team and lead from behind. Showed off a great talent for fighting on her own right from the start, but needed to be reminded to be able to fight for herself as well as back up Yuuma and Sekai.

Yuuma; Started off pretty drat dull and :emo:, but they've put some decent effort into giving him personality over the last few episodes (losing his poo poo Scooby-Doo style at ghosts was beautiful :allears:). Even going so far as to be unwilling to give up the BBG parts when he knows he'll get his rear end beat.

Sekai; Can still be summed up with a single emote; :downs:.

Caros posted:

The gently caress is this calming down? If you want me to feel your spirit I have to punch you, that is how it works.

I'm trying to learn what's wrong with you! WHY ARE YOU CRYING WHEN I PUNCH YOUR FACE?!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I still think Try is a good show :shobon:

It's just not as good as season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Seriously though, Sekai is just kind of inoffensive and bland. I'm not sure where all the insanely hyperbolic hate for him is coming from. He's just a generic shounen protagonist.

• Locked thread