Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Pacifica making the decision not to let everybody in the Northwest manor die isn't changing her into a saint, it's changing her into a normal human being who would never choose to let dozens of people die in order to uphold family pride. She was being friendly with Dipper, who helped her save a lot of people and who believed in her to be a better person when nobody else did. That doesn't make her all sunshine and gumdrops and I expect that if and when she shows up again in future episodes, she'll probably still have rough edges that need to be sanded out. This is the girl who literally had never been taught the word "sharing". Hirsch isn't going to make her suddenly a perfect person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Toxxupation posted:

It's funny how quickly and easily the episode fuckin' divebombed in quality once McGucket showed up, further reinforcing how bad this show is at its own serialized narrative

Well, as we've established, the serial narrative is just an external metaphor for internal struggle for Mabel/dipper, and as pure episodic set pieces

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I thought McGuckett coming in throwing down the plot at the end and Dipper waving it off was a pretty nice little story gag. I mean, they spent 90% of the episode with a contained story with just a tiny bit of the overall arch at the end. I don't see the problem.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Alan Smithee posted:

yeah can we not do this every loving episode?

Alan Smithee posted:

Alan Smithee posted:

Alan Smithee posted:

guess we know who's the Scully in this relationship

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

Pacifica making the decision not to let everybody in the Northwest manor die isn't changing her into a saint, it's changing her into a normal human being who would never choose to let dozens of people die in order to uphold family pride. She was being friendly with Dipper, who helped her save a lot of people and who believed in her to be a better person when nobody else did. That doesn't make her all sunshine and gumdrops and I expect that if and when she shows up again in future episodes, she'll probably still have rough edges that need to be sanded out. This is the girl who literally had never been taught the word "sharing". Hirsch isn't going to make her suddenly a perfect person.

What- why does this post exist. What prompted this to be written to 'splain that she will not become absolutely flawless after performing one decent action on the blood of the family? This seems really obvious.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Pakled posted:

Alex Hirsch said at one point that each season is supposed to be one month
Dipper does specifically mention in the season 2 opener that it's halfway through the summer. So that fits.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

RareAcumen posted:

What- why does this post exist. What prompted this to be written to 'splain that she will not become absolutely flawless after performing one decent action on the blood of the family? This seems really obvious.

Toxxupation posted:

I guess I'm more frustrated with them setting up a romance angle and therefore changing her character into a saint, I'm fine with the idea of developing a relationship on the show but would've preferred she keep her prickly, rough edges over sanding all of them down and making her into a sweetheart, it removes Pacifica's character texture

Not sure myself how setting up a character as a love interest automatically makes them into a saint, but there you go.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

I guess I'm more frustrated with them setting up a romance angle and therefore changing her character into a saint, I'm fine with the idea of developing a relationship on the show but would've preferred she keep her prickly, rough edges over sanding all of them down and making her into a sweetheart, it removes Pacifica's character texture

:argh: Toxxupatioooooon!

Trash Boat posted:

Not sure myself how setting up a character as a love interest automatically makes them into a saint, but there you go.

I still feel like love interest is being generous. At most I feel like he's moved her down on the 'Worst' scale to under Bill Cipher.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

RareAcumen posted:

Toxxupation happened.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you

Doctor Soup posted:

So is Gideon the only non-supernatural antagonist they have left? Seems like it would be hard to turn Pacifica or Robbie back around at this point. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it's not often you see a show close off all it's rivalry threads partway through the second season.

I was just thinking that Pacifica's parents must be pretty pissed at Dipper right now. I wouldn't be surprised if they pop up again.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

:argh: Toxxupatioooooon!

I still feel like love interest is being generous. At most I feel like he's moved her down on the 'Worst' scale to under Bill Cipher.

Dipper was trying pretty hard to look cool in front of her after catching the ghost the first time. It looked exactly like something he would've done in front of Wendy in season 1.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

TheKingofSprings posted:

Dipper was trying pretty hard to look cool in front of her after catching the ghost the first time. It looked exactly like something he would've done in front of Wendy in season 1.
Not to mention the fun they were having together ruining her parents' favorite carpet at the end. Also, it's pretty much the only thing I can imagine distracting Dipper enough that he wouldn't immediately leap into action when McGucket shows up saying he found something new. He was very eager to get back to the party that he hadn't wanted to go to in the first place, but he's not likely to admit why.

Of course, it's possible that what we didn't see is that McGucket starts rambling about the apocalypse like this like twice a day, and it's usually just gibberish and hamboning, so Dipper doesn't know he's really got something this time.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

gravity falls is good and doctor who is godawful

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Gravity Falls operates on Dragonball Z time. Five minutes in their world means seven episodes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

Gravity Falls operates on Dragonball Z time. Five minutes in their world means seven episodes.

Twenty episodes, actually.

I eats my spinach
Jan 16, 2005

'sup gordon

Toxxupation posted:

It's funny how quickly and easily the episode fuckin' divebombed in quality once McGucket showed up, further reinforcing how bad this show is at its own serialized narrative :words::words::words::words::words::words:

hrm yes I agree, this episode really went to poo poo in what was literally the last 35 seconds before the end credit gag scene

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
It's funny how quickly and easily the thread fuckin' divebombed in quality once Toxxupation showed up.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Robot Hobo posted:

Just out of curiosity, I did a quick run-through of the plots, wondering how many days have must have passed since Mabel & Dipper came into town. That's not counting the shorts, Little Gift Shop of Horrors (could have been any free night), or Stans & Goldy's Vegas trip at all. I did add one day for the "Family Bonding Day" mentioned in episode two, which involved the Pines spending a day in jail for counterfeiting.

The minimum number of days I could come up with was 55.

There's a few more things that could be added. For example, I'd assume that Dipper hunting and tasering a giant bat would have eaten up a day somewhere. Also, Gideonland seemed to be pretty far along when we see it, so the Pines probably spent more time living with Soos than I accounted for.

(I know, it's a cartoon and doesn't need to follow logical blah blah blah whatever. I was curious.)

MY SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF IS RUINED!!!

*flips table*

*deletes fanfiction*

*throws computer through the television*

*sets house on fire*

*burns to death cursing Robot Hobo's name*

(I had the same thoughts about Phinneas and Pherb a while back)

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
How can we have the apocalypse when we've seen Blendin Blandin's world? Or will he be involved in undoing it in a single episode, the way the Blind Eye got blown out in 20 minutes?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

real chat Im surprised nobody brought up the "portal brings about time baby" theory

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

RareAcumen posted:

Naw, they were telegraphing it pretty hard in the scene where Dipper traps the ghost in the mirror. The awkward hug and Dipper trying to look cool causing him to run into the wall (the latter of which is so Dipper) it's obvious they're setting that up.

Beekeeping and You posted:

gravity falls is good and doctor who is godawful

Agreed. Bill Cypher > a trashcan with a plunger arm

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Naw, they were telegraphing it pretty hard in the scene where Dipper traps the ghost in the mirror. The awkward hug and Dipper trying to look cool causing him to run into the wall (the latter of which is so Dipper) it's obvious they're setting that up.

I SEE ALL THE WRITING ON THE WALL

YOU'LL NEVER FORCE ME TO ACCEPT IT THOUGH

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Some cool stuff on graviteam

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

Some cool stuff on graviteam

Disney.png

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I am terribly sorry for agreeing with Toxxupation on even the most superficial of things, but does anyone get the impression that Mabel really is kind of a jerk? She seems to mostly worry about herself and her objectives (boys!) and Dipper ends up helping her out way more often than the other way around.
I don't even remember when was the last time that she helped Dipper in somr way.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Feb 19, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Conspiracy nuts have long believed Disney to be run by the illuminati, you know, for reasons.

And, yes they believe GF is being used to indoctrinate children.

https://illuminatisymbolism.wordpress.com/2012/07/01/disneys-gravity-falls/

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

paradoxGentleman posted:

I am terribly sorry for agreeing with Toxxupation on evenbthe most superficial of things, but does anyone get the impression that Mabel really is kind of a jerk? She seems to mostly worry about herself and her objectives (boys!) and Dipper ends up helping her out way more often than the other way around.
I don't even remember when was the last time that she helped Dipper in somr way.

She's a pre-teen/teenage girl. She's not a jerk, she's a kid.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CobiWann posted:

She's a pre-teen/teenage girl. She's not a jerk, she's a kid.

Kids are jerks. :colbert:

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

CuwiKhons posted:

Pacifica making the decision not to let everybody in the Northwest manor die isn't changing her into a saint, it's changing her into a normal human being who would never choose to let dozens of people die in order to uphold family pride.
To be fair, I think the moments that make some people raise their eyebrows happened before that. Namely, after the awkward hug, Pacifica tries to get Dipper to stay at the party and then Dipper tries to impress her with talk of a category 10 ghost that he has to exorcise (complete with getting distracted enough that he slams into a wall) and then when he comes back to give the Northwests a piece of his mind, Pacifica looks very happy (at least before he starts talking).

Although it may simply be that Pacifica was really grateful for having her life saved and that Dipper got a bit flustered by the hug and momentarily forgot about her flaws, only to have the rest of the episode show that Pacifica indeed isn't that bad after all.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
He could've just been playing it cool to look for a reason not to hit the party. If it was Season 1 Wendy he'd be tripping over himself to stay, ghost be damned.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

X_Toad posted:

Although it may simply be that Pacifica was really grateful for having her life saved and that Dipper got a bit flustered by the hug and momentarily forgot about her flaws, only to have the rest of the episode show that Pacifica indeed isn't that bad after all.
There's a psychological quirk referred to as misattribution of arousal. When you are scared (or otherwise excited) your brain tends to flood your body with adrenaline and a cocktail of other chemicals to get your fight-or-flight response primed for action. When you're attracted to someone, your brain tends to flood your body with adrenaline and a cocktail of other chemicals for other reasons. The responses are very similar.

But your brain is kind of dumb about this. It knows what that general "Excited" feeling means, but just applies it kind of haphazardly. So if you get scared in the presence of someone you could potentially be attracted to, your brain just assumes that at least some of feel-good-juice your glands just pumped into it must be because of that person.

This is why scary movies and carnival thrill-rides are classic good date ideas. Simply, if a guy takes a gal to see a scary movie and she gets scared, she's actually more think he's attractive. If a girl sits next to a boy on a roller-coaster, when they get on the ride he may think she's a 5/10, but at the end of the ride his brain may temporarily bump that up to a 7 or 8.

So if you put a boy and a girl in a haunted house and let them be chased by a terrifying ghost with an axe and fire for a beard, their opinions of each other are very likely to go up, at least for a while. Once they calm down, those opinions are likely to drift back to normal after a while, unless they've done something during that bonus "fake love" time to genuinely make the person more interested in them.

Pacifica's breakdown in the family's secret painting room finally let Dipper see that she's actually deeper than the superficial ice-queen her parents have tried to mold her into. Dipper is the only person who has gotten in to see a bit of the real Pacifica, and he showed genuine sympathy for her then. That has to be a big deal for her.

So it's a fast turnabout, but not totally unrealistic.

Rocksicles posted:

Wow this cartoon stuff brings out the psychologists.
Yall motherfuckers need to relax .
I'm bored and trying desperately to forget that I have work in an hour.
This is what relaxing looks like on me.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 19, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow this cartoon stuff brings out the psychologists.

Yall motherfuckers need to relax .

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Alan Smithee posted:

real chat Im surprised nobody brought up the "portal brings about time baby" theory

Canon states that Time Baby is frozen in a glacier and will be released by global warming. Come on, keep up. :colbert:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Robot Hobo posted:

There's a psychological quirk referred to as misattribution of arousal. When you are scared (or otherwise excited) your brain tends to flood your body with adrenaline and a cocktail of other chemicals to get your fight-or-flight response primed for action. When you're attracted to someone, your brain tends to flood your body with adrenaline and a cocktail of other chemicals for other reasons. The responses are very similar.

But your brain is kind of dumb about this. It knows what that general "Excited" feeling means, but just applies it kind of haphazardly. So if you get scared in the presence of someone you could potentially be attracted to, your brain just assumes that at least some of feel-good-juice your glands just pumped into it must be because of that person.

This is why scary movies and carnival thrill-rides are classic good date ideas. Simply, if a guy takes a gal to see a scary movie and she gets scared, she's actually more think he's attractive. If a girl sits next to a boy on a roller-coaster, when they get on the ride he may think she's a 5/10, but at the end of the ride there's to be temporarily bumped up to a 7 or 8.

So if you put a boy and a girl in a haunted house and let them be chased by a terrifying ghost with an axe and fire for a beard, their opinions of each other are very likely to go up, at least for a while. Once they calm down, those opinions are likely to drift back to normal after a while, unless they've done something during that bonus "fake love" time to genuinely make the person more interested in them.

Pacifica's breakdown in the family's secret painting room finally let Dipper see that she's actually deeper than the superficial ice-queen her parents have tried to mold her into. Dipper is the only person who has gotten in to see a bit of the real Pacifica, and he showed genuine sympathy for her then. That has to be a big deal for her.

So it's a fast turnabout, but not totally unrealistic.

I'm bored and trying desperately to forget that I have work in an hour.
This is what relaxing looks like on me.

Lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What's interesting is that we have multiple avenues for an apocalypse and it's not clear which one is the strongest contender. We have Time Baby, Bill, Stan's machine, and aliens as four foreshadowed options, at least. Bill seems like the obvious go-to, but he might be aiming to capitalize on an apocalypse that someone else is triggering.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Bee posted:

He could've just been playing it cool to look for a reason not to hit the party. If it was Season 1 Wendy he'd be tripping over himself to stay, ghost be damned.

He already had a reason back at the start though: he didn't give a poo poo about the Northwests and wanted nothing to do with that party beyond helping out Mabel.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Pick posted:

What's interesting is that we have multiple avenues for an apocalypse and it's not clear which one is the strongest contender. We have Time Baby, Bill, Stan's machine, and aliens as four foreshadowed options, at least. Bill seems like the obvious go-to, but he might be aiming to capitalize on an apocalypse that someone else is triggering.

The fact that Alex Hirsch went out of his way to say that aliens will never be on the show is especially damning after he turned out to be intentionally deceiving people about the validity of the 4chan leak and the Society of the Blindeye site.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

The fact that Alex Hirsch went out of his way to say that aliens will never be on the show is especially damning after he turned out to be intentionally deceiving people about the validity of the 4chan leak and the Society of the Blindeye site.

He didn't say 'never', I believe. Just that it wasn't something you could really escalate past.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
What was the thing about the Socity of the Blindeye site? That turned out to be an actual Hirsch thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Suspicious Dish posted:

What was the thing about the Socity of the Blindeye site? That turned out to be an actual Hirsch thing?

We still don't know, as far as I've heard. A bunch of stuff on the site from 2013 and early 2014 ended up appearing in the show later on, most noticeably the Hand Witch.

http://gravityfalls.wikia.com/wiki/Search_for_the_Blindeye

• Locked thread