Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Everyone throwing out names of comedians is forgetting that The Daily Show isn't popular because of Jon Stewart's comedic chops but his political criticism. Even a smart comedian like Louis C.K. would find it hard to replace Jon's vast knowledge.

What we do not need is another late night "comedy" show. We have one each on the networks, plus Conan, plus @Midnight. What we do need is commentary more than the once a week we get from Last Week Tonight.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, I loving hate jokes, bring on the intelligent political commentary.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

The Daily Show with Brian Williams.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mojo1701a posted:

The Daily Show with Brian Williams.
Before his idiot scandal this would have been great. He was funny when he was on the show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Daily Show with Ian Hislop?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Daily Show with Diane Rehm

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OK, the "Daily Show with ______" thing has run its course now guys.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Deadpool posted:

OK, the "Daily Show with ______" thing has run its course now guys.
It's okay, we're not doing it for comedy anymore. Now it's high-level political commentary.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I have no idea what the purpose or grand scheme of Saving Hope is, since the overall story arc seems very far in the background. It is pretty much just guilty viewing. But the surgeon dude exploding with the mortar was just hilarious.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Comedy? On my comedy channel??

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
It's too bad Stephen Fry and Rowan Atkinson are to old as their style of comedy would be great for the Daily show. The intelligent comedy with that brutal meanness would be great.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Daily Show with Ian Hislop?

An American version of HIGNFY would be something alright.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. It's not the same Jon Stewart.

The Daily Show with Stewart Lee. Eh? Eh?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Didn't we just agree to knock this poo poo off? We have a Daily Show thread, you know.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Josh Lyman posted:

Everyone throwing out names of comedians is forgetting that The Daily Show isn't popular because of Jon Stewart's comedic chops but his political criticism. Even a smart comedian like Louis C.K. would find it hard to replace Jon's vast knowledge.

This hasn't been true since the Bush era. He hits softballs like his feud with the Mad Money guy and will make silly faces to a news clip but put an actual person like the president of Blackwater on his show and he just nods and lets them say whatever they want uncritically.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

An American version of HIGNFY would be something alright.

They've tried at least at least three separate times over the years to get an American version going. If they can't get it launched with Norm MacDonald as the host, it's probably one of those things that just isn't meant to be.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 19, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Watch out Disney Channel, Netflix is coming for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTMZ2X5cE_Q

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

They've tried at least at least three separate times over the years to get an American version going. If they can't get it launched with Norm MacDonald as the host, it's probably one of those things that just isn't meant to be.

Perhaps it's down to the differences between British and American political satire. I do not know what these differences are but I'm fairly sure they exist.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DivisionPost posted:

Didn't we just agree to knock this poo poo off? We have a Daily Show thread, you know.

It's not like it's anything we'll have resolved until late summer or whenever anyway.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

zoux posted:

Watch out Disney Channel, Netflix is coming for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTMZ2X5cE_Q

I thought this would be a cartoon but then I remembered Disney is all about the teenage sitcoms now.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Sadly, Tough Crowd and Politically Incorrect were the closest we got.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

It couldn't possibly be that Norm MacDonald is just a really terrible host, despite how much people on the internet love to ride his dick.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Perhaps it's down to the differences between British and American political satire. I do not know what these differences are but I'm fairly sure they exist.

Panel shows just really don't thrive on American TV. I'm not really sure why but American panel shows tend to be really bad and feel forced.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
For everybody who had Kid Cudi in their "Who will replace Reggie Watts on Comedy Bang Bang?" pool, congrats

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

raditts posted:

It couldn't possibly be that Norm MacDonald is just a really terrible host, despite how much people on the internet love to ride his dick.

That doesn't matter, so are like 3 out of 5 people in late night and also Chris Hardwick.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

That doesn't matter, so are like 3 out of 5 people in late night and also Chris Hardwick.

Touche.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Well it's better than being Assistant Norm MacDonald dick rider.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

xbilkis posted:

For everybody who had Kid Cudi in their "Who will replace Reggie Watts on Comedy Bang Bang?" pool, congrats

Did you make up all those names.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Chris Hardwick is a good interviewer in a laid-back and unstructured setting like a podcast, so long as you don't mind hitting the skip button when he inevitably brings up the Singularity, Doctor Who, or internet trolls. He's just complete dogshit at standup and pitches a fit whenever he has to answer to a higher power or follow S&P which makes him a terrible fit for a talkshow.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

Chris Hardwick is a good interviewer in a laid-back and unstructured setting like a podcast, so long as you don't mind hitting the skip button when he inevitably brings up the Singularity, Doctor Who, or internet trolls. He's just complete dogshit at standup and pitches a fit whenever he has to answer to a higher power or follow S&P which makes him a terrible fit for a talkshow.

He makes everything all about him (including the name of the drat show now) which is the big old #1 not a good host rule.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
matt besser

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

I've tried listening to his interview podcast and I can't because he's so unbearable as a host. He's just plain awful.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Is a great comedian but filled with old man opinions. In a vacuum he's a great fit for a show like it, but the current audience wouldn't like him long term.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
no comedy show for old men

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hey Psych fans, Dulè Hill has been cast in the pilot for the CBS show Doubt, where he'll play the main character's best friend. Unfortunately said main character is not played by James Roday.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

muscles like this? posted:

Hey Psych fans, Dulè Hill has been cast in the pilot for the CBS show Doubt, where he'll play the main character's best friend. Unfortunately said main character is not played by James Roday.

I'm psyched.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a general HBO thread, or more specifically a thread for Togetherness? I couldn't dig anything up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'd always look forward to seeing American guests on UK panel shows, but very few are able to fit into the flow of the show. I think things like podcasting and @midnight have helped though, as it's closer to those in terms of approach rather than something like late night.

I know Michael Ian Black was a host of one of the HIGNFY attempts, would've been interested in seeing that at the least.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Matthew Perry is doing some kind of unnatural speaking style on The Odd Couple (which isn't good, don't watch it.)

It reminds me of 2 Broke Girls. A lot of the characters on that show, including the main 2, have a weird way of speaking where they're constantly forcing the punchline and ramping up the entire time instead of having a normal cadence.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Sooooooo...they're ending Two and a Half Men tonight. Anyone watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Macrame_God posted:

Sooooooo...they're ending Two and a Half Men tonight. Anyone watching?

I'm going to say no.

• Locked thread