Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Out of the M Series? OK I'll take a P Series, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm debating getting a 65" M series in a couple months, and am happy to see all the love Vizio is getting in this thread. I thought I was crazy for liking their t.v.'s until I found this thread.

I'm loving mine. Sure it's not an M-Series or P-Series, but it's everything I want in a TV overall so far. There's a huge noticeable difference when playing games with the game preset and the 120hz refresh rate. In a weird way, I'm glad our old TV went on the fritz because it gave me great excuse to upgrade to this. I'm a little bummed that the exterior isn't a different color since I was digging the gun metal gray look on the LG TVs, the stand doesn't swivel, and that I only have one Component input instead of two, but those are nitpicks really.

Now I'm debating whether or not to go back and get the 5-year warranty for $120. My best friend (who also helped sway my decision for buying this one in the first place) has had a Vizio for 8 years without a single problem, so I'm on the fence.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
So, I moved a few months ago, and I'm looking at hooking my PC up to my bedroom TV via HDMI. The problem is, the TV is a good distance from the PC, and the cable also has to snake around a sliding glass door frame. I was looking at Monoprice's 40-foot RedMere HDMI cables, which sounds like my best option short of rearranging furniture. Has anyone had any experience with these? Will that long of HDMI cable introduce lag or other issues?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've used those at work, they work fine. Another idea would be to get a few hdmi -> ethernet adapters and get 40 feet of cat6.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8121&seq=1&format=2

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 12, 2015

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Space Racist posted:

So, I moved a few months ago, and I'm looking at hooking my PC up to my bedroom TV via HDMI. The problem is, the TV is a good distance from the PC, and the cable also has to snake around a sliding glass door frame. I was looking at Monoprice's 40-foot RedMere HDMI cables, which sounds like my best option short of rearranging furniture. Has anyone had any experience with these? Will that long of HDMI cable introduce lag or other issues?
The length of the cable shouldn't introduce any (noticeable) lag, but there could be problems due to there being more conductor material the signal has to traverse. However, RedMere cables have some kind of smarts in them that allows for fewer conductors in the cable. That's the kind of thing that could introduce latency, but reviews seem to say that's not an issue, either. The RedMere electronics are powered by the HDMI signal itself so you might have problems if your output device is providing an anemic signal. Keep in mind the cables will only work in one direction.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Vizio 55" M Series - $599.99 at Woot.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Dammit not a 60" :(

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

55" is a good bedroom TV size.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Was just looking for recommendations on a TV + soundbar combo, since I don't really know where to start.

I'm looking to replace an old 32" LCD I got back in college on the cheap. I'm ideally targeting the 40-48" range, 1080p resolution with about a $600-700 budget. Don't really care too much about 3D, though I need to support 4 HDMI ports, and video game use.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I bought a 2014 Vizio E-series 60" TV. I love the picture, but it randomly turns itself off. Am I screwed?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Fremry posted:

I bought a 2014 Vizio E-series 60" TV. I love the picture, but it randomly turns itself off. Am I screwed?

You have a warranty

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

You have a warranty

Yeah, I'm super worried because the only thing I've read about Vizio support is how terrible they are. It seems like a relatively common problem and I was hoping someone knew more than "Call Vizio".

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Fremry posted:

Yeah, I'm super worried because the only thing I've read about Vizio support is how terrible they are. It seems like a relatively common problem and I was hoping someone knew more than "Call Vizio".

I had a problem with a 23m old vizio TV I got from Costco. Vizio sent me a new box picked up the TV and cut me a check for the full purchase price. I had a good experience.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

Fremry posted:

Is it only when watching a specific thing (a certain app or tv only)? It's possibly they have a lovely buggy app that's causing the TV to crash. I've seen some issues with that. Even then I would contact their customer support to see what can be done.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Next-Gen posted:

Is it only when watching a specific thing (a certain app or tv only)? It's possibly they have a lovely buggy app that's causing the TV to crash. I've seen some issues with that. Even then I would contact their customer support to see what can be done.

Thanks. I think it might be the Amazon Fire TV Stick. I have it powered by the USB on the TV, so that also may be it.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

I've been looking around for a new TV to buy once the IRS gets around to approving my tax refund; I was thinking of spending something around 1000-1200. I have an obsession with getting dark scenes in games to look like actual darkness, so black levels are going to be a big deal. I think I've got it narrowed down to a Samsung PN64H5000 or a Sony KDL55W950B. I've heard that any plasma is going to have better picture quality and the Samsung is also bigger, but the Sony wins out big on input lag (my other major concern). I found this article that said plasmas might get higher results on lag tests, but they still generally feel better for games due to how the screen refreshes, but I've never used a plasma before, so I'm not sure what to think about that.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I just got the 60" of that Sony and it's one of the coolest things I own. Great TV.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

I just got the 60" of that Sony and it's one of the coolest things I own. Great TV.

How much junk does the gaming mode disable for that? Can you still do the impulse motionflow stuff or use custom gamma settings?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

rear end Catchcum posted:

What model number is the 60 inch? I only see a 55 and a 65 inch model.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I'm going to test it after work, but I just realized that my Vizio TV is set to CEC off, and I think the Fire TV comes out of the box with CEC on. I'm going to see if getting the CEC settings into sync fixes the problem with the TV turning itself off.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

How can anyone handle that Sony set with those dumb massive speakers on each side

I'm pretty set on oled being my next tv no matter how long I have to wait but that Sony still looks good. Just can't get past the speakers.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there a way to check in Amazon TV if my Vizio is actually displaying at 4k? The Info button doesn't work...

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Tab8715 posted:

Is there a way to check in Amazon TV if my Vizio is actually displaying at 4k? The Info button doesn't work...

I think you can go into the TV diagnostics page to see what resolution/hz you're displaying at.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Tab8715 posted:

Pause the video. It will come up and say Ultra HD on the left side of the screen (at least it does on my Samsung).

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
If you can't tell just by looking then LOL

That's more of a dig at the current state of 4k

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

1997 posted:

If you can't tell just by looking then LOL

That's more of a dig at the current state of 4k

A lot of the content isn't even mastered in 4k right now, but just having a 15-20mbit h265 stream makes the video look at least as good as a bluray does. I'm waiting to see how much of a difference 4k bluray makes to have a truly good comparison of quality.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Next-Gen posted:

A lot of the content isn't even mastered in 4k right now

Still so very true. Pretty much if it's not a Sony Picture, It's probably a 2k DI. It's really easy to tell, just look up the technical specs on IMDB.

Look at current theater releases. Jupiter Ascending, Seventh Son, Kingsman, 50 Shades of Grey, American Sniper, Spongebob. They are all done with a 2k DI. In fact, most of them were shot with an ARRI 2.8k sensor which means they can never ever ever ever be 4k (though a 4k format would give them slightly better resolution than HD if they were fully remastered.)

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Hmm, would the 10% off TVs on Target's Cartwheel coupons stack with the 5% off on Redcard?

Because they have a Vizio there....

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Insane Totoro posted:

Hmm, would the 10% off TVs on Target's Cartwheel coupons stack with the 5% off on Redcard?

Because they have a Vizio there....

Yes

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Welp. Under $700 for a 60" Vizio E series is a must buy right?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My rich-rear end company wants to buy a bunch of flatscreens to put on the walls in portrait, exclusively to show performance metric Excel sheets (gets the sales guys pumped, yawn to me though). Currently they're using some fuckin' gigantic 70"-ish 1080p screens.

Would it be worthwhile for me to try for something like 55" 4K? Seems like I could fit more legible information with them. If so any recommendations for something cheap with maybe a decent warranty?

I think this is my top pick so far: http://www.amazon.com/Hisense-Class-Smart-Ultra-55T880UW/dp/B00H6XYKWS

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Jesus Christ donate more to charities. The misuse of wealth is disgusting.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I'm with you but this is a startup, they're prioritizing workplace morale over charity at the moment.

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008
I'm looking to grab a 55-ish inch LED TV for my living room. It will be used for watching TV/Movies and possibly some Rock Band every now and then. I don't care about 3D and I don't care about 4K. The reason I say 55-ish is because I currently have a Panasonic TC-L55E50 that I love and was the perfect fit in my living room, but during a recent move found it's way into the bedroom and hasn't left. I'd like to have something that fits the same size profile without being too crazy big.

I've been looking at the following 3 TV's. I'm not sure what difference I can spot between the two Samsungs other than 2 HDMI ports and ~$200. Does anyone have any one of these that they can vouch for or is there a better option I might be leaving out?

Samsung UN55H6350

Samsung UN55H6203

VIZIO M552i-B2

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

puppy party posted:

I'm looking to grab a 55-ish inch LED TV for my living room. It will be used for watching TV/Movies and possibly some Rock Band every now and then. I don't care about 3D and I don't care about 4K. The reason I say 55-ish is because I currently have a Panasonic TC-L55E50 that I love and was the perfect fit in my living room, but during a recent move found it's way into the bedroom and hasn't left. I'd like to have something that fits the same size profile without being too crazy big.

I've been looking at the following 3 TV's. I'm not sure what difference I can spot between the two Samsungs other than 2 HDMI ports and ~$200. Does anyone have any one of these that they can vouch for or is there a better option I might be leaving out?

Samsung UN55H6350

Samsung UN55H6203

VIZIO M552i-B2

I don't have much to say in terms of the Samsung's, but if you want the Vizio, get the E series. It's the same panel with a different border and it's a couple hundred dollars cheaper:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Fremry posted:

I don't have much to say in terms of the Samsung's, but if you want the Vizio, get the E series. It's the same panel with a different border and it's a couple hundred dollars cheaper:

I think you're right that the Vizio E is a better choice at that price delta, but the implication of "it's the same panel" is that there is no picture quality difference, and I don't think that's true.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I think you're right that the Vizio E is a better choice at that price delta, but the implication of "it's the same panel" is that there is no picture quality difference, and I don't think that's true.

May not be exact, but CNET calls it "not significantly better than the E-Series."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

My rich-rear end company wants to buy a bunch of flatscreens to put on the walls in portrait, exclusively to show performance metric Excel sheets (gets the sales guys pumped, yawn to me though). Currently they're using some fuckin' gigantic 70"-ish 1080p screens.

Would it be worthwhile for me to try for something like 55" 4K? Seems like I could fit more legible information with them. If so any recommendations for something cheap with maybe a decent warranty?

I think this is my top pick so far: http://www.amazon.com/Hisense-Class-Smart-Ultra-55T880UW/dp/B00H6XYKWS

Excel scales horribly, I don't think it would look nice.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

Excel scales horribly, I don't think it would look nice.

It is decent enough on the 1080p TVs we already have, I'm just thinking with 4k I could fit 4 times the data with the same clarity when they walk up to inspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I want 4K. Now. I see the Vizio 50" at Futureshop for 929, seems like I cant go wrong.

I kinda need 2 TVs though, one for my office and one for my bedroom. I'm fine with relegating my current Samsung to the bedroom, but for the office I need something that will double for gaming, and now that I have WQHD on my monitor, I don't want to be stuck with 1080 for games. Will a 4K TV be able to show 2560x1440 or just jump from 1080 right to 2160?