Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Headed to an AF post and bringing a car. I know the make is a popular one in country, so general service shouldn't be an issue.

Definitely going to bring an additional set of all-weather tires. Any advice on other car parts I should bring? I hear "bring replacement parts!" all the time, but I don't know enough to know whether there's an obvious checklist I should be looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

The Mantis posted:

Headed to an AF post and bringing a car. I know the make is a popular one in country, so general service shouldn't be an issue.

Definitely going to bring an additional set of all-weather tires. Any advice on other car parts I should bring? I hear "bring replacement parts!" all the time, but I don't know enough to know whether there's an obvious checklist I should be looking for.

I sent you a PM.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

problematique posted:

No. No I just don't believe it.

Okay, maybe I've had the kool-aid. I'll go back to my cube.

Fake edit: Or did you mean the horrific intern story? Because that's totally real.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

the_chavi posted:

Fake edit: Or did you mean the horrific intern story? Because that's totally real.

Did he also ask if your Post had stairs?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Zoots posted:

Seriously, if I'm ever going to troll management, it's going to be a wolf t-shirt.

Or I could just channel Bret's wardrobe from flight on the conchords.

1of7
Jan 30, 2011

TCD posted:

Seriously, if I'm ever going to troll management, it's going to be a wolf t-shirt.

Make sure you get the full on three wolf moon shirt:

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

1of7 posted:

Hahahaha

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zoots posted:

No, but he did tell me about his graduate thesis, in which Islam is the enemy of the West.

Did I mention socks with sandals? At least by day two he figured it out and showed up in slacks and a button-down.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

the_chavi posted:

No, but he did tell me about his graduate thesis, in which Islam is the enemy of the West.

Did I mention socks with sandals? At least by day two he figured it out and showed up in slacks and a button-down.

Hahaha socks with sandals and a wolf shirt and that thesis... was he from Alaska?

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
where does one buy the 3-wolf-moon/3-keanu-moon shirt anyway

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Skandiaavity posted:

where does one buy the 3-wolf-moon/3-keanu-moon shirt anyway

http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Thre...lf+moon+t-shirt

1of7
Jan 30, 2011
Fair warning: I also found that at Amazon and after viewing it my Amazon home page became full crazy rear end T-shirts. I think my favorite is "Lincoln the Emancipator":

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

1of7 posted:

The reviews on that shirt are a laugh riot. I also remember the cybersecurity training video from A100 had a guy wearing a three wolf moon tie unironically. Also a guy using the catchphrase "ZAP" to describe the theft of valuables.

Strudelmeyer
Sep 17, 2012

The Mantis posted:

I brought air filters and some windshield wipers. We have access to Amazon so it wasn't totally necessary. I did take my van to the Toyota dealer to get my front brakes done and the tech asked me if I had the new ones. It was going to take him a month to get front brake pads for the vehicle. I ordered them myself and the dealer installed them for about $25.00. I am considering getting a quote to see if they can put a wolf/moon graphic on the hood but I still might have to provide my own paint.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

The Mantis posted:

You should also bring some vehicle recovery gear. Stuff like tow straps, chains, a heavy duty or purpose built jack that can work in dirt or sand or anything that isn't pavement. Ask the dealership about it, and then go somewhere else to buy it to avoid high costs.

This should be on anyone's mind going to AF (with some limited exceptions on the continent). If you think Mobile Patrol is going to come to your rescue with tools and knowledge necessary to get your car back on the road, I have a one lane african bridge to sell you.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.

Homie S posted:

You should also bring some vehicle recovery gear. Stuff like tow straps, chains, a heavy duty or purpose built jack that can work in dirt or sand or anything that isn't pavement. Ask the dealership about it, and then go somewhere else to buy it to avoid high costs.

This should be on anyone's mind going to AF (with some limited exceptions on the continent). If you think Mobile Patrol is going to come to your rescue with tools and knowledge necessary to get your car back on the road, I have a one lane african bridge to sell you.

I'd really caution that depends on where your going in AF. If you're trying to go off-roading a lot, 4x4in, sure, you need that anywhere (outside AF even). But going to Cape Towns going to be bit different then going to N'Djamena. I seriously doubt you need anything more than a sedan in most of southern Africa for getting around town.

I drive this tiny rear end guy around my post in AF :rice:

the_chavi posted:

A wolf/moon t-shirt is never a bad idea. That intern is going places.

problematique fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 18, 2015

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

I saw a car get high centered on a ditch that ran across our road to our house.

Some posts, you really need that ground clearance.

I also learned how to change the oil on motorcycle forks, change a clutch, clean and balance carbs, check belt wear/tightness and do pretty much anything else on what was the only motorcycle of that type in the country.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

TCD posted:

I also learned how to change the oil on motorcycle forks, change a clutch, clean and balance carbs, check belt wear/tightness and do pretty much anything else on what was the only motorcycle of that type in the country.

I want this. Is the best way just to buddy up with someone in the motor pool?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

The Mantis posted:

I want this. Is the best way just to buddy up with someone in the motor pool?

I did it from youtube videos and a hobbyist forum. I bought a bunch of tools (torque wrench, some good calipers, impact hammer, 4 bank carb balancer, and a ton of sockets).

There was a really good parts reseller that included pretty detailed guides for all the maintenance. It was a late 80s 600cc yamaha, and all the local motos were single cylinder/carb 125cc or 150cc imports from India. I'm pretty good with my hands (build computers, fully strip and gun tinker with firearms, loaded my own ammo, etc.) Considering it was a motorcycle, I trusted my skills more than local mechanics who'd be seeing that size of bike for the first time.

Finally the gas tank rusted out but my wife worked at a textile factory (her company leased a little space there) so she asked around for me and found someone who knew someone who were able to re-coat the inside of the tank.

I did leave changing the tires and dealing with brake fluid with a local mechanic.

TCD fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 18, 2015

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

problematique posted:

I'd really caution that depends on where your going in AF. If you're trying to go off-roading a lot, 4x4in, sure, you need that anywhere (outside AF even). But going to Cape Towns going to be bit different then going to N'Djamena. I seriously doubt you need anything more than a sedan in most of southern Africa for getting around town.

South Africa is exactly where I was thinking when I said limited exception. There are also plenty of posts where the city is considered city driving, but to leave the city you'd need to be better prepared.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Addis is like that; except it's not that often that you need to leave the city. It was great having an SUV for the additional clearance and visibility, but it was flat wrong when I was told that I couldn't possibly drive a sedan in the city, or that any car other than a Toyota would have zero parts availability.

1of7
Jan 30, 2011

Bloodnose posted:

This is the first time in my life I'm actually upset about a snow day/close of business for inclement weather. My flag day was tomorrow (it only decides which of four cities I'm going to but still) and fucks up the whole orientation schedule, which was already a mess.

gently caress you, snow day.

Did you have it today? I checked the usual locations, but it didn't appear any were set up for a flag day.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Yeah, my flag day today was me showing up to the auditorium at main state and my orientation leader handing me a Chinese flag on my way in and telling me "you're going to Guangzhou."

That's where I wanted to go and was not upset by the lack of ceremony.

Re: car chat. I would very much like to bring my 1985 BMW to China but I think I read you can't import non-new cars there so I will be sad :(

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Hey congrats on flag day. One of my friends from college is in your class, I heard things were a bit abbreviated due to the snow ;)

1of7
Jan 30, 2011

Bloodnose posted:

Yeah, my flag day today was me showing up to the auditorium at main state and my orientation leader handing me a Chinese flag on my way in and telling me "you're going to Guangzhou."

Re: car chat. I would very much like to bring my 1985 BMW to China but I think I read you can't import non-new cars there so I will be sad :(

I believe the limit was 5 years when I went to China.

Blooregard
Sep 7, 2012
As I sit in security clearance purgatory, it's given me time to obsess over things. Are you able to extend one of your directed assignments to let your kids finish out a school year? If I get called up this year I don't think I'd be on the summer transition schedule but really would like my youngest to finish high school at one place. I think I would only have to extend for 5 or 6 months.

Now back to wondering if the investigators found anything that makes me look interesting.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.

Blooregard posted:

Are you able to extend one of your directed assignments to let your kids finish out a school year?

As far as I know, that's impossible. I've never heard of EL tour not being 22-26 months long. Though your CDO can try to accommodate it if the timing is right with the next post. Maybe a few months wiggle room could be allowed depending on the post, but at the end of the day, EL division owns you.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Bloodnose posted:

So will you be learning Cantonese instead of Mandarin?

Fake edit: actually you already speak the language, don't you?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Blooregard posted:

As I sit in security clearance purgatory, it's given me time to obsess over things. Are you able to extend one of your directed assignments to let your kids finish out a school year? If I get called up this year I don't think I'd be on the summer transition schedule but really would like my youngest to finish high school at one place. I think I would only have to extend for 5 or 6 months.

Now back to wondering if the investigators found anything that makes me look interesting.

You're asking for a personal accommodation. Good luck.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Blooregard posted:

For generalists, it's really difficult to get extensions during your first tour (less so, second tour). Kid's school reason is not going to be enough. However, you'll raise it with the CDOs in your meetings with them when determining bidding and training, and express to them that it's a high (or highest) priority, and they may be able to work additional training in. 5 months is probably pushing it, but they may be able to make something work. On the other hand, it may just be easier to really push to get put on the summer cycle. Or maybe you try and bid on a 1 year DC assignment out the gate (which might give you a bit more flexibility).

So no, you're probably not going to get a 6 month extension on a directed assignment, but there still may be other ways to achieve the goal you want for your kid.

QuackAttackAggie
Dec 16, 2014
Received my travel orders today. Still having some trouble scheduling my move. I am getting a little short on time, so I'm hoping it all gets rolling soon.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Any thoughts on a rest stop/lounge option for my itinerary? My wife and I are pretty low maintenance, and I think we'd rather just get there.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

The Mantis posted:

Any thoughts on a rest stop/lounge option for my itinerary? My wife and I are pretty low maintenance, and I think we'd rather just get there.

I love rest stops and use them as mini vacations. I usually extend the rest stop a few days with personal leave and pay lodging. When I PCS to my current post, I did a week long Europe vacation from my rest stop. It was confusing trying to cost construct to get the other flights paid for and then to post, so I just flew back to the rest stop.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

The Mantis posted:

Depends on the rest stop. I enjoyed the one we took in Brussels on the way to our first post.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Stolennosferatu posted:

So will you be learning Cantonese instead of Mandarin?

Fake edit: actually you already speak the language, don't you?

No that would be ridiculous. Why would I need Cantonese to work in Canton?

It's mainland China so any Cantonese person who isn't aggressively old will speak Mandarin.

And yes I already speak both languages, but we still have a brief (I think it's a week or two?) course in Consular Mandarin. I asked if I could get a version of the course in Cantonese as well, but it's looking like that's not in the cards.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Tell me how it goes. I speak Chinese as well and I'd be interested to hear what it is like working in China as a FSO.

Blooregard
Sep 7, 2012

problematique posted:

at the end of the day, EL division owns you.

Yeah, I kind of thought that was the case. Thought I'd ask just as a "wouldn't it be great if" sort of thing.

Thanks for the replies!

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Artificer posted:

Tell me how it goes. I speak Chinese as well and I'd be interested to hear what it is like working in China as a FSO.

I'm sure there are plenty of people in this thread who've been to China as FSOs. Like a solid quarter of the A-100 class training alongside mine is going to China. It's clearly a major assignment for entry-level officers.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

Blooregard posted:

I can say from personal experience the answer is no. That being said, high school is a different beast and it might be possible to extend so your kid can graduate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

The Mantis posted:

When we PCS'd to post we powered on through (we have kids). On our return from R and R this past summer we did a few days in Munich on our own dime and were able to get lounge passes.