Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, I know it wasn't on PSN, wasn't being very clear.

I like that there's no canon ending, game is stronger for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
UFO ending is canon. Always.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's clearly the canon ending in Shattered Memories.

Kaufmann: So your father was abducted by aliens. This made more sense when there were demons and a cult.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I like Silent Hill 2's soundtrack too! I mean, all of Akira Yamaoka's SH soundtracks are good, though for me SH2 was the high point and they slowly tapered off after that. They have sort of a weird progression, starting with SH1's discordant industrial stuff and becoming more 'musical' with each game... but also becoming even weirder at the same time.

It was ages ago so I could be misremembering, but I think Yamaoka said (in a 'making of' for SH3 maybe) that SH3's soundtrack was meant to evoke a horror of loud noises, while SH2's soundtrack was meant to evoke a horror of quiet/silence - which I thought was interesting.

I've got all the music from SH0-4 in one playlist - including the 'unreleased' tracks ripped from the game files for SH2 and 3. There's a ton of it: even with a number of tracks that I don't like taken out, it's over seven hours long.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
Hold My Schlong. Come on guys!

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Her Majesty's Ship = naval ship = ship in water = In Water ending canon

No matter how many times I've tried to watch a Silent Hill 2 LP, I've never managed to finish them to completion. However I'm loving this thread's discussion on the symbolism, and especially the fact that now I know what Mary was trying to say on the radio at the very beginning. All this time, it was right there. :stare:

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Antistar01 posted:

It was ages ago so I could be misremembering, but I think Yamaoka said (in a 'making of' for SH3 maybe) that SH3's soundtrack was meant to evoke a horror of loud noises, while SH2's soundtrack was meant to evoke a horror of quiet/silence - which I thought was interesting.

A great example is hearing PH for the first time. It's not some shocker of a loud noise, it's a somewhat imperceptible cry in the distance that sounds something like a child or a kitten in distress. The first time I heard it I wasn't even sure what I had heard, or if I had even heard it. It still freaked me the gently caress out. Same deal with the silence. It's so subtle and wonderful, when you're out in the corridors there is just a hum of ambient noise that seems to sit right at the back of your hearing, so much so you get used to it them BAM you walk into a silent room and the absence of noise really hits you and all your senses are on edge because it feels so wrong. Like when you're in the woods and it suddenly dawns on you there is no bird noise, it's unnatural.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Having certain spots play a noise track for no discernible reason is pretty interesting as well. There's a room with a rather busy track, like poo poo's about to happen. Nothing happens. :geno:

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

Dr Scoofles posted:

A great example is hearing PH for the first time. It's not some shocker of a loud noise, it's a somewhat imperceptible cry in the distance that sounds something like a child or a kitten in distress. The first time I heard it I wasn't even sure what I had heard, or if I had even heard it. It still freaked me the gently caress out. Same deal with the silence. It's so subtle and wonderful, when you're out in the corridors there is just a hum of ambient noise that seems to sit right at the back of your hearing, so much so you get used to it them BAM you walk into a silent room and the absence of noise really hits you and all your senses are on edge because it feels so wrong. Like when you're in the woods and it suddenly dawns on you there is no bird noise, it's unnatural.

Those types of noises are the worst to me. When I first played the game, I wondered if Team Silent got the idea from The Blair Witch Project, since there's a scene where the idiots are deep in the woods and they hear a baby cry in the distance, and get in an argument that it couldn't have been a baby because why would there be a baby in the middle of the woods? Or in James' case, why is there a baby in an abandoned apartment building in an apparent ghost town full of monsters and maybe his dead wife?

My guess is that PH runs a daycare as a side business. :colbert:

I'm also in the "Letting a friend play and watching as they get the crap scared out of them by Lying Figures" Club (though I did warn him to stay away from the cars. Fool didn't listen to me.)

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I always believed the sound in the hallway before PH's introduction is coming from the guy that was just freshly killed in front of the TV, not PH himself making a noise (he makes different noises later in the game that don't really sound like that yelp in the apartment.)

There's also a baby cry in the hospital basement later, but that doesn't have much to do with PH, btw.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

DeathChicken posted:

It's clearly the canon ending in Shattered Memories.

Kaufmann: So your father was abducted by aliens. This made more sense when there were demons and a cult.

Shattered Memories does end when you get to the lighthouse, so this checks out.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

VoidBurger posted:

I always believed the sound in the hallway before PH's introduction is coming from the guy that was just freshly killed in front of the TV, not PH himself making a noise (he makes different noises later in the game that don't really sound like that yelp in the apartment.)

There's also a baby cry in the hospital basement later, but that doesn't have much to do with PH, btw.

I have no idea why but I always thought the guy in the chair was a suicide. The blood splatter on the TV made me think he shot himself, which fits in with James having recently come into possession of a gun. I never stopped to think that PH did it, which is pretty cool. I like both.

Speaking of crying babies. gently caress that screaming baby poo poo in the PT trailer, it drove me mad.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

For everything else said about it, Silent Hill 4 had some boss music. Room of Angel kicking in when you found what was left of Walter's victims was atmospheric as all gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdXCsXcs6nA

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

DeathChicken posted:

For everything else said about it, Silent Hill 4 had some boss music. Room of Angel kicking in when you found what was left of Walter's victims was atmospheric as all gently caress.

I admit I spent most of SH 4 wondering why there was randomly a song with Alessa addressing Dahlia. :downs:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

DeathChicken posted:

That track always instantly reminds me of the Silent Hill 4 trailer - possibly my favourite trailer of all time. Certainly the scariest I've seen.

The epic, twelve minute extended version is also... quite something.

And to try to keep this vaguely relevant, here's the Silent Hill 2 trailer for comparison.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Speaking of the soundtrack: disregarding the obvious choices (Promise [Reprise], Theme of Laura), I have always loved Betrayal. It's the song that plays during the final Pyramid Head(s) boss fight. I don't know if my knowledge of the game is informing my interpretation of the music but I swear I can hear the catharsis in the song. The bell and the choir evoke a feeling of liberation to me. It's beautiful.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Garrand posted:

As kind of proof, the wiki itself talks about how the great knife and spear can be seen as phallic imagery. (I can see the spear, but how the hell the knife?)

Someone once told me Knives and what not are phallic imagery due to their penetrative aspects. Do with that what you will.

Also I can't remember does triangle top do anything interesting if you stare at him through the bars or does he just stare right back?

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Antistar01 posted:

That track always instantly reminds me of the Silent Hill 4 trailer - possibly my favourite trailer of all time. Certainly the scariest I've seen.

The epic, twelve minute extended version is also... quite something.

And to try to keep this vaguely relevant, here's the Silent Hill 2 trailer for comparison.

I've always preferred this trailer for SH4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIEsveoTELY

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

In It For The Tank posted:

Speaking of the soundtrack: disregarding the obvious choices (Promise [Reprise], Theme of Laura), I have always loved Betrayal. It's the song that plays during the final Pyramid Head(s) boss fight. I don't know if my knowledge of the game is informing my interpretation of the music but I swear I can hear the catharsis in the song. The bell and the choir evoke a feeling of liberation to me. It's beautiful.

Yeah, I think Betrayal is my favourite on the SH2 soundtrack. It's a great track for a boss fight too, with its odd intensity.

I sort of have a soft spot for Terror in the Depths of the Fog as well, though it maybe feels a bit out of place and I can't actually remember where it appears in the game.

Haerc posted:

I've always preferred this trailer for SH4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIEsveoTELY

Okay yeah that's pretty good too.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The Gone Girl soundtrack had some very Silent Hill esqe tracks in it, if anyone was interested in checking it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4wSJMorYK8

purple_sammich
Feb 3, 2010

In It For The Tank posted:

I find Betrayal creepy as hell, personally. I like it but I have such a hard time listening to it all the way through because it makes me super uncomfortable.

Also, if anyone was wondering, this is the track with the butterfly room noises: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuNOnFa-q3Y

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Just saw a SH2 lp for the first time, so this thread couldn't be better timed! They did do some analysis/discussion of the themes, but I love seeing videos dedicated to this sort of stuff.

VoidBurger posted:

Leave Main Influencers:
-Keep your health in the green for the majority of the game.
-Read Mary's letter and look at her photo. The more you do both, the more it seems to lean towards Leave.
-Listen to the whole hallway conversation at the end.

In Water Main Influencers:
-Be stingy with healing items and don't spend too much of the game at full health
-Look at Angela's knife more. The more you do it, the more it seems to lean toward In Water.
-Don't listen to the whole hallway conversation.
-Listen to the tape in the hotel's Library, the one where James is talking to Mary's doctor.

The guy playing in the LP I watched admitted to tricking people familiar with the game, by making it look like he was going for the Leave ending, but got the In Water ending because of the hotel library tape (I think) because of it's weighting on ending influence.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Amy from AlchemillaHospital.net is doing a camhack LP of Silent Hill 2! I'm posting it in here because:
(1) I've never seen this stuff before and I'm not doing any camhacks. Because of this angle, I don't think it clashes with my LP at all.
(2) She's playing the PC version and the HD Collection, so it's cool to see the comparisons there (The HD Collection has ugly fog and is so much darker than the original, has cleaner streets, etc)
(3) Her editing/commentary/gameplay is a little haphazard, and leaves much to be desired for those unfamiliar with the games :( So I think it's good supplemental to my videos, which are more linear and easy to follow than hers. So you can watch my videos to get an idea of what the game normally looks like so you can keep your bearings for when she's zooming around in her camhack vids!
(4) Unlike TwinPerfect, she seems nice, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmBwqsGPdvs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBELaQDTiY0

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

VoidBurger posted:

Makes sense for the first chunk of the game, but not the later chunk. How does Laura get to the hotel if Eddie was her main mode of transportation? :crossarms: Eddie dies before that point in the game.

I like to think she has some parent or guardian helping her travel around looking for her friend, but James can't see them because they're not important to his story like Laura is. "What's a little girl like you doing here, anyway?" and she replies "Huh? Are you blind or something?" Which at least means that everything is probably completely normal to her eyes, but furthermore, can imply that perhaps she has normal-world methods of getting around Silent Hill.

Then again, Silent Hill could just be zapping her around the place and keeping her safe because while SH has a beef with James, it has no beef with Laura, but somehow "knows" that she's very important for his punishment. Thus, the town facilitates her travels while also not conjuring monsters to gently caress her up.

She ditches Eddie at the bowling alley. She used him to get into town and after that, since SH is presumably normal for her she can just walk wherever without monsters or bottomless chasms getting in her way.
I doubt she has a chaperone because the game goes to great lengths to point out she's an orphan, and the "good" ending implies james adopts her.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The thought of her just chilling in SH, besides the normal population, and just bumping into James at "random" is hilarious.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

James is just a regular schizophrenic who hasn't taken his pills, really.

The voices make him either jump down holes or jam his arm into one.

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010

Mindblast posted:

The thought of her just chilling in SH, besides the normal population, and just bumping into James at "random" is hilarious.

Actually, about this. Does Silent Hill itself still have any "normal" population? If I remember right Laura doesn't see anything there because she's too young to have deep, personal regrets and conflicts. But how could a town have a semi stable population if as soon as someone starts to experience regret for their own actions, or becomes depressed, they start to tread the fog world/otherworld?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Raruna posted:

Actually, about this. Does Silent Hill itself still have any "normal" population? If I remember right Laura doesn't see anything there because she's too young to have deep, personal regrets and conflicts. But how could a town have a semi stable population if as soon as someone starts to experience regret for their own actions, or becomes depressed, they start to tread the fog world/otherworld?
It does. Foggy Silent Hill is another dimension and the Otherworld is pretty much Silent Hill's ultimate reality. Most people probably just live normal lives in normal Silent Hill because, at least taking stuff from 2, you have to really want to be in a situation like the Foggy/Otherworld in order to find yourself there.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Maybe it takes super special "You done smothered your honey with a pillow" sort of regret.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Raruna posted:

I always found this aspect of things confusing as well. You have this secret cult running around SH performing human sacrifices and apparently running the town from the shadows, but nobody from the outside ever really seems to notice. You also never really see the town outside of fogmode in any of the games. It kinda makes me wonder if all the events of all of the SH games take place in varying "layers" of the foggy world and the "real world" silent hill is either totally normal and unaware of any of this stuff or is a ghost town and has been for years.

It just seems like if there really was a real population in the normal world there and weird stuff was always happening (or there was a cult running around), the folks coming to visit would have heard rumors about the place. Instead it seems like visitors think it really is a great vacation spot.

This leads me to wonder, is there anything in SH at all, or does it just plant the idea in the minds of people it wants (like Harry Mason) that it's a great vacation spot and they should swing by, when in reality there's nothing there but empty decaying buildings and a one-way trip to foggytown.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The cult really wasn't going around killing people left and right. The only major crime they were doing that the cops could possibly trace until Heather and Douglas revealed them to the public was drug dealing.

4's backstory might contradict this, but 4's backstory is stupid as poo poo in how convoluted it makes everything so I'm just ignoring it. (There were three different cults in one small town, guys! Really!)

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 27, 2015

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

What other cults? The one Walter was mucked up with was Dahlia's.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

What other cults? The one Walter was mucked up with was Dahlia's.

I thought at one point the main cult split into separate factions. One wanted the good to be born and the other was like hey, wait a second, maybe let's not? Or there was the native American practitioners and the settlers?

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Well the whole "idyllic whitebread town has dark secrets" thing is something taken from a lot of Western influences, from Stephen King to Twin Peaks. I think the devs were just taking a theme they loved and ran with it.

Also keep in mind that the cult (regardless of sects) OWNS the cops/fire department/coroner's office/hospitals etc, and everyone who's ever tried to investigate into it met a bad end. Regardless of the supernatural, it's just a good old-fashioned American cover-up, fueled by intimidation and drug money.

Also, about the sects; I think the main differences were in which sub-deities they recognized/worshiped more and how/when they wanted the reckoning poo poo to happen. I think they still basically believe in the same-ish poo poo. We also don't know how many there are exactly anyway, nor precisely when they came into being, pre or post SH2. :shrug:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Which reminds me of Vincent in SH3 going on about how he and Claudia followed the same God. "But I'm sane!" :v:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

There's actually four sects named, which may be able to be boiled down to only three:

Sect of the Holy Woman (Dahlia's)
Sect of Valtiel
Sect of the Holy Mother
Sect of the "Saint Ladles". Which may just be a terrible mistranslation of "Holy Woman" since it is not named anywhere else.

And then there's whoever wrote the Crimson Tome.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Mindblast posted:

Well if you look at it objectively she does have a reason to be everywhere she shows up. If she was rolling with Eddie she ought to be in the apartments because he's there too, you chase her into the hospital, and she's looking for Mary so it's not a stretch that she'd find her way to the hotel after ditching Eddie.
The reason Laura is in the town is because Mary's letter said she was going away to a "quiet beautiful place" (heaven/death) but because Mary kept talking about how awesome Silent Hill was and because Laura's a stupid idiot child she thought Mary went to Silent Hill. The hotel was probably mentioned a lot to Laura by Mary.

It only becomes suspicious when looked at from James' point of view because Laura shows up at very specific points. Probably says more about James than Laura.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Update! It's got that one scene with PyramidHead. You know the one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFSjlErMChg

In hindsight, this episode would have been a perfect time to talk about how I feel Silent Hill 2 subverts the idea of voyeurism, especially in the context of rape/assault, but I guess I'll chat about it later, whoops!

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
My interpretation of the Eddie/Man in fridge thing is that Eddie did kill him, but the man was a Silent Hill manifestation and possibly appeared to be a monster to Eddie so killing him doesn't really count.

VoidBurger posted:

In hindsight, this episode would have been a perfect time to talk about how I feel Silent Hill 2 subverts the idea of voyeurism, especially in the context of rape/assault, but I guess I'll chat about it later, whoops!

I think symbolism chat might be more insightful if you had notes or whatever ready before recording. Discussing that stuff off the cuff is interesting and fun but it lacks the depth of a prepared examination. But that's just my suggestion and I'm a dumb jerk so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
I love how when James goes to open a locked door from the other side, he never says anything like "I've unlocked the door, I can go through now", but instead "Now it's unlocked" as if the town is allowing him to proceed further.

• Locked thread