Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I just get the physically biggest one I can fit :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
There are specs, also the pressure the drainback valve opens at, but it's not usually hard to find a similar-ish one.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Geirskogul posted:

I just get the physically biggest one I can fit :shrug:

That's how 13" found his last GF. Not the best decision.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Okay, go type in 1975 Honda Civic _____________ on ebay and see how many results for HIDs and anodized lug nuts you have to scroll through before you find the part youre looking for.

It's not necessarily the end of the line, but for some things it absolutely is. My throttle cable, for one. Oreilly's told me to CALL HONDA to see if they stocked it. My oil filter through Orielly's was like $16 last time, rockauto is obviously cheaper. And just simple things. Switches, my strut mounts, rubber products, electrical odds and ends.....Plus the fact that my car is a '75 makes it difficult. It's got early EB2 parts on it which mean some certain items are '73-75 ONLY and just because the parts store says it works for '73-88 doesnt mean it actually does at all.

There are resources but for a vast majority of things it's just constantly trawling craigslist, 1stgencivic forum classifieds ads, thisoldhonda, etc. Not a whole lot of surviving early parts anymore.

Yuuuuuup. I go through the same thing trying to get parts for my 70's Goldwing. The best source for parts other than eBay is a site called straightwings.com that sells used take-offs, since most everything for them is NLA. I'm still trying to find someone selling the little rubber grommet-thingy that holds the flasher relay in place since my original rotted to bits, and I still haven't found one after the better part of a year. :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
There's this highly dodgy website: http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/Wix/51390

I doubt it checks bypass spring pressure and stuff like that, but if I had to guess 70s Hondas don't run obscene oil pressures like Subarus do and so probably don't "need" a nice strong spring.

Some table told me the 75 Civic needs a Honda 15400-634-505 filter, which is on that list.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

IOwnCalculus posted:

The tricky thing seems to be the combination of thread and gasket diameters. There are other M20-thread filters, including at least one that is common enough to get more than just the basic Fram PHxxxx part, but most of them have a much narrower gasket surface.

With that said, the absolute worst-case scenario here, even if those filters disappear, would be having to get a custom adapter machined up to fit either a different filter directly, or just to give you some AN fittings so you can run a hose to a remote-mount and run something like a PH8A.

The best thing to do would be to measure the gasket contact surface that the filter spins on to as opposed to trying to find something similar to the current filter. If he gets lucky he might have more room than he thinks (or not.) MANN+HUMMEL has a crossreference site where you can plug in general dimensions and its spits out what they have.

1500quidporsche posted:

I highly doubt fram or any of the other cheap filter makers take this into consideration when they shove a piece of cardboard into a metal housing.

Edit: should clarify, I'm sure they have a general standard but I'd be very surprised if the filter material in any of the low end fram filters is different.

There are ISO, SAE, BS, etc specs and what not that dictate standardized testing and I would expect that Fram would have conducted at least some rudimentary testing prior to producing a filter. For a low volume part the testing might be literally two or three different tests of a sample size of one, but generally something will happen. Smaller companies out of a place with no financial accountability, like China, do pull this stunt though. For a really old filter though, at this point they are likely only kept track of with a poor photocopy of a 37 year old print and a bill of materials, so take that as you will.

Along the same lines, I would really steer clear of buying any filters off of eBay. Its a pretty good place to unload counterfeit goods, and as much as I am not a fan of Fram, they are at least a known brand name that can be obtained from reputable vendors.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There's this highly dodgy website: http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/Wix/51390

I doubt it checks bypass spring pressure and stuff like that, but if I had to guess 70s Hondas don't run obscene oil pressures like Subarus do and so probably don't "need" a nice strong spring.

Some table told me the 75 Civic needs a Honda 15400-634-505 filter, which is on that list.

Heh, I found that exact link at work and was going to bring up the bypass valve but noooooooooooo I just had to wait till I got home. Usually links like that are a good place to start searching from, but they tend to include a lot of bad references.

Anyway, the bypass valve cracking pressure is super important to have correct. Going to a modestly lower pressure likely will not be too much of an issue, but buying a filter with a much higher cracking pressure or not having a bypass at all can put an engine in a world of hurt fairly quick on a cold day. Worst case scenario the filter's centertube collapses and cuts off flow to the engine, best case the engine's flow is tiny and nothing bad happens.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
Too lazy to format (for now), but it looks like Wix makes all the maintenance parts you need.

Part Part No. Filter Loc Engine VIN Code Comments
Air Filter 42909 L4 1.2L 1237cc EB2
Breather NR L4 1.2L 1237cc EB2
Carbon Canister Pad NR L4 1.2L 1237cc EB2
Fuel Filter 33067 L4 1.2L 1237cc EB2
Oil Filter 51390 L4 1.2L 1237cc EB2
Transmission Filter NA L4 1.2L 1237cc EB2
Air Filter 42911 L4 1.5L 1488cc Naturally Aspirated Gas Carb SOHC 8
Breather NR L4 1.5L 1488cc Naturally Aspirated Gas Carb SOHC 8
Carbon Canister Pad NR L4 1.5L 1488cc Naturally Aspirated Gas Carb SOHC 8
Fuel Filter 33067 L4 1.5L 1488cc Naturally Aspirated Gas Carb SOHC 8
Oil Filter 51390 L4 1.5L 1488cc Naturally Aspirated Gas Carb SOHC 8
Transmission Filter NA L4 1.5L 1488cc Naturally Aspirated Gas Carb SOHC 8

Edit, gently caress, beaten sort of.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah last time i picked up a wix filter it was two days out and $16 though.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

torpedan posted:

The best thing to do would be to measure the gasket contact surface that the filter spins on to as opposed to trying to find something similar to the current filter. If he gets lucky he might have more room than he thinks (or not.) MANN+HUMMEL has a crossreference site where you can plug in general dimensions and its spits out what they have.

There are ISO, SAE, BS, etc specs and what not that dictate standardized testing and I would expect that Fram would have conducted at least some rudimentary testing prior to producing a filter. For a low volume part the testing might be literally two or three different tests of a sample size of one, but generally something will happen. Smaller companies out of a place with no financial accountability, like China, do pull this stunt though. For a really old filter though, at this point they are likely only kept track of with a poor photocopy of a 37 year old print and a bill of materials, so take that as you will.

Along the same lines, I would really steer clear of buying any filters off of eBay. Its a pretty good place to unload counterfeit goods, and as much as I am not a fan of Fram, they are at least a known brand name that can be obtained from reputable vendors.

Heh, I found that exact link at work and was going to bring up the bypass valve but noooooooooooo I just had to wait till I got home. Usually links like that are a good place to start searching from, but they tend to include a lot of bad references.

Anyway, the bypass valve cracking pressure is super important to have correct. Going to a modestly lower pressure likely will not be too much of an issue, but buying a filter with a much higher cracking pressure or not having a bypass at all can put an engine in a world of hurt fairly quick on a cold day. Worst case scenario the filter's centertube collapses and cuts off flow to the engine, best case the engine's flow is tiny and nothing bad happens.

There's entirely a chance that the OEM filter for his engine has a dodgy bypass valve to begin with - my '78 Honda has a weak bypass design and no anti-drain back on it's original filter cartridges. :v:

I wonder if anyone makes an adaptor plate like this for his engine:
http://randakks.com/collections/filters/products/honda-gl1000-gl1100-gl1200-cbx-dohc-4-cx500-and-variants-engine-parts

(Considering his car already uses some other parts off of Goldwings of that era, would entirely be not surprised to find his car uses the same crap cartridge and canister design and that bolts right up).

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

Panaflex posted:

this is correct. Look at the all of the unwanted results for a common keyword and simply add -[keyword] to your search ex: 1975 honda civic -LED

Wow I had no idea parts are that rare. You are truly doing the lord's work with your Civic.

the actual keyword doesn't matter, it gets rid of everything that doesn't actually match your search (i think it drops the "fits" matches)

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

HotCanadianChick posted:

There's entirely a chance that the OEM filter for his engine has a dodgy bypass valve to begin with - my '78 Honda has a weak bypass design and no anti-drain back on it's original filter cartridges. :v:

I know this all to well. I work for a heavy duty OEM and spend about a third of my time fixing issues like that. If I had to take a guess, I would suspect that that far back in time they were not as concerned with aftermarket part sales and just went with a filter that most likely will get you to the first oil change. After that the expectation would be that you buy someone else's filter and no one considered that twenty to thirty years later the OEM might be the only supplier (and from their perspective fixing it is not worth the money involved.)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Fo3 posted:

:vince:

Rude as gently caress

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fo3 posted:

You do remember she was literally dying of an eating disorder right

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Notice how, when you decided to do something you'd truly like and would be reasonable and good for your sanity, everyone stops posting.

Pleasebuybiturbo.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Keep on keeping on 13. I urge you to keep that little honda running and hopefully safer so I won't wimp out and run away next time you offer a ride in it.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe he can biturbo the Honda?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I would say do what makes you happy, but that's just a loving ridiculous statement at this point in your posting history. Do what you feel like doing at this particular moment.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

InitialDave posted:

I would say do what makes you happy, but that's just a loving ridiculous statement at this point in your posting history. Do what you feel like doing at this particular moment.

Honestly nothing makes me happy right now. There are nights I wake up from nightmares about the awful things I went through trying to get her into treatment, there was a girl that asked me out at a bar once a month or so ago and I broke down crying. I was hitting it off really well with another amazing girl last week and out of nowhere began having crippling anxiety attacks over absolutely misplaced feelings of guilt for so much as even talking to someone else. Like months on I still need to worry about what she thinks of me. Panic. Feelings of terror to even begin trying to treat myself as a normal human being who deserves to be happy and close to someone again even if just for one night. But each time a chance comes up overwhelming terror takes over me and I shut myself into my room with a bottle and dont come out till its empty. Hell the girl last week I just up and stopped messaging her for a few days because I cant think of how to tell her that even flirting with someone has shown me how profoundly the last year has broken me emotionally.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Fix the civic, let it represent yourself, give it time and attention, don't be afraid to replace what's broken with something new. It'll always have a history, but what it becomes doesn't have to be broken and unreliable.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
I'd say the Civic, surpassing all expectations, has been the most solid and stable thing in your life the past year.
Rebuild the poo poo out of it.

e : I will reiterate the suggestion of turning it into a Mocca-Brown Mustard-Yellow 80's time machine.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Originally it was a metallic brown with tan interior. Parts started showing up. Fuel pump, speedometer cable, and NOS '80s MOOG torque strut with much more to come.

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Cakefool posted:

Fix the civic (biturbo), let it represent yourself, give it time and attention, don't be afraid to replace what's (not) broken with something new (that is). It'll always have a history, but what it becomes doesn't have to be broken and unreliable.

Fixed that for you.

Officer 13 Inch needs a new start. One that doesn't start.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Honestly nothing makes me happy right now. There are nights I wake up from nightmares about the awful things I went through trying to get her into treatment, there was a girl that asked me out at a bar once a month or so ago and I broke down crying. I was hitting it off really well with another amazing girl last week and out of nowhere began having crippling anxiety attacks over absolutely misplaced feelings of guilt for so much as even talking to someone else. Like months on I still need to worry about what she thinks of me. Panic. Feelings of terror to even begin trying to treat myself as a normal human being who deserves to be happy and close to someone again even if just for one night. But each time a chance comes up overwhelming terror takes over me and I shut myself into my room with a bottle and dont come out till its empty. Hell the girl last week I just up and stopped messaging her for a few days because I cant think of how to tell her that even flirting with someone has shown me how profoundly the last year has broken me emotionally.

Buying a ridiculous car helped me on this one.

Just saying.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

And then many tears were shed when it tossed a rod at 4200 miles...

Please don't kill me

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Antidepressants exist for a reason.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Its not just depression. Most days I get done what I need to get done but the thought of being with anyone else cripples me with horrifying anxiety attacks. The closest I can describe it is what people who suffer from PTSD describe. Last night was another long night of dreams about her. How happy we would have been i I waited, how terrible it was before. Dreams about watching her die over and over in my arms and then nightmares accusing me of not doing enough or being good enough. Woke up in sweats three or four times.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but you really should get some professional help of some kind - ie talk to someone. Sure, its normal to have regrets over a relationship, but from what you describe, you are suffering from serious crippling issues that need to be addressed before they start having a detrimental impact to your health. You seem to have taken a good first step by comparing your situation to PTSD. Now take the second step and book an appointment with a counselor or psychiatrist.

Please take care of yourself. We may be random strangers over the internet, but we still want you to stick around.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I was under the distinct impression that the best cure for anxiety based disorders born out of traumatic events was to self medicate and ignore them until they eventually go away

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I'm fairly certain that that is not at all the best cure.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I was under the distinct impression that the best cure for anxiety based disorders born out of traumatic events was to self medicate and ignore them until they eventually go away

Ah, the VA method.

poo poo man, I'm sure between the goons in this thread you wouldn't even need to break the bank to see a therapist, if only for the hope of seeing you drive a biturbo.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
13 Inch, therapy saved my life. Do it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

13 Inch therapy saved my life.
That's how I read this until I looked twice. :huh:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That took 14 inch actually.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Well how old are you? Because I'm 40 and did that for 20 years actually, and it didn't work. It just turned me into the opeice of sdhit that I am today.
Didn't change my memory one bit though, you can still ask me about how things used to be in the 90s, carbs, old rotaries and poo poo. I remember all the old poo poo (and everything on a personal level) just fine, doesn't help :(

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 23, 2015

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

FFS guys, he was being sarcastic.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

More important than talking to a therapist is talking to one that gets you.

if you go a few times and dont feel like you can talk about all the weird growths on your dick with your therapist, find a new therapist.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

MikeyTsi posted:

FFS guys, he was being sarcastic.

Uh, was he?

13", we love you man, you have a way with words and posting emotion that's truly awesome. I know from experience that you can feel like changing anything will take away from your persona, or whatever feels like is your last bastion of what makes you feel special. But if that last bastion is only fear, pain and regret, its only gonna hurt you in the long run.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You probably don't make a lot of money, so sign up for Obamacare and get subsidized mental health treatment. My sister just did that, she's up there in Seattle too, it was easy and she makes so little money that her plan has a cost of zero dollars.

While you're treating your anxiety, you can also work on the alcoholism and maybe whatever side effects come from huffing owl pellets. Also you can get a doctor to inspect your ears for spiders?

I haven't said stuff before because I don't think AI is or should be E/N, but 13, you mention your problems here often enough that I think you must feel they're OK to chat about here.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My life and my projects are basically goon in a well.txt so I bitch about em. Plus EN smells funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
Idle hands are the devil's playground. That Biturbo would keep you so busy you would never have time to even think about your problems. The Civic on the other hand...well, reliability can be a double-edged sword. Ask me how I know, if you're really curious. I will say the period during which I owned my Saab 900 was one of the most fulfilling in my life.

• Locked thread