Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.

jony ive aces posted:

to waste everyone's time playing sperg's advocate for a minute here, the guy posted a whole bag full of d16s so each hex digit could come from a different die? air bubbles aren't likely to all have the same effect across dice right?

in this strange neal stephenson cryptofantasy were talking about, yeah, you're right. unless a manufacturing process produced identically skewed dice due to a defect or something else the dice would probably all be skewed differently. but over a large enough sample i think the distribution of the results from these non iid dice would be normal so a determined bitvillain could get to your wallet that way. gonna go look into the distribution of non iid observations from a finite range and double check but i think thats right.

e: what a bad snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

CampingCarl posted:

Why is most of youtube underwater?

expensive server infrastructure, not a lot of ads on the site

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
someone should twitter cnn and snitch on sperglock forfalsifying his report. with all the poo poo storm over brian williams you'd think they would be unhappy. not me though, i'm just an ideas guy

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Sorry guys, I had hoped to never be this guy but I accidentally clicked the "mark thread unread" button and lost my place. I've been trying to catch up since getting back from my honeymoon. Can someone give me a summary of happenings for the last two weeks or so?

The last thing I read about was some hong kong exchange running off with money and their office had been under renovations for months. With bitcoin I'm not sure if that is specific enough.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

four or so bitcoin exchanges just folded. morgan spurlock did a thing where he "lived on bitcoin" for his show (he did not live on bitcoin).

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

four or so bitcoin exchanges just folded.

in two weeks?? even for bitcoin that's impressive. which ones? also, does anyone maintain a timeline of exchanges opening and folding?

theflyingexecutive posted:

morgan spurlock did a thing where he "lived on bitcoin" for his show (he did not live on bitcoin).

lol

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

RZA Encryption posted:

in two weeks?? even for bitcoin that's impressive. which ones? also, does anyone maintain a timeline of exchanges opening and folding?

the main canadian one that worked with all the bitcoin vending machines is one of them :toot:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

http://uk.businessinsider.com/new-york-city-bitcoin-stagecoach-robberies-2015-2

no further comment needed just read the URL

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
yeah don't click on that business insider link click on the source they're pulling the headline from

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

this is the validation of bitcoin's value we've been waiting for

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

anthonypants posted:

yeah don't click on that business insider link click on the source they're pulling the headline from

Still way too positive

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

anthonypants posted:

quote:

“He called because he wanted to gamble during the Super Bowl, which is pretty common,” Mr. Katz told the Observer.

i, too, admit to knowingly contributing to illegal activity in a statement to a newspaper

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

rift expansion looking bad

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

lol

4 exchanges closed in 24 hours then 2 days later another 2 folded.

Sunday/Monday:
  • BTer claimed they were hacked, shut down
  • Excoin claimed they were hacked, shut down
  • HITBTC claimed they were hacked, shut down
  • Netagio said no one is using their exchange, is closing mid-March

• Tuesday:
  • CAVirtex, Canada's largest exchange the the backend for thousands of Bitcoin ATMs said "someone may have gotten a hold of an old encrypted database so they decided to pack it up out of caution.
  • Kipcoin, a chinese exchange, say's they were hacked and are closing. They're big on Asian HYIP forums so it may have been a ponzi the whole time.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

anthonypants posted:

The Observer posted:

Bitcoin is growing in popularity as a way of quickly and safely moving money. But that also makes the job of a thief much more lucrative and efficient.

"Bitcoin is very safe! But it's also much easier to steal."

:downs:

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

Canada's largest exchange the the backend for thousands of Bitcoin ATMs

no way there's "thousands" of bitcoin atms in Canada. couple dozen, maybe.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lol backend

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Muscle Tracer posted:

"Bitcoin is very safe! But it's also much easier to steal."

:downs:

its a safe way to move money

the instant it stops moving though...:ohdear:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

evilweasel posted:

its a safe way to move money

the instant it stops moving though...:ohdear:

it never stops moving

just sometimes you lose control of the movement :getin:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

FCKGW posted:

4 exchanges closed in 24 hours then 2 days later another 2 folded.

Sunday/Monday:
  • BTer claimed they were hacked, shut down
  • Excoin claimed they were hacked, shut down
  • HITBTC claimed they were hacked, shut down
  • Netagio said no one is using their exchange, is closing mid-March

• Tuesday:
  • CAVirtex, Canada's largest exchange the the backend for thousands of Bitcoin ATMs said "someone may have gotten a hold of an old encrypted database so they decided to pack it up out of caution.
  • Kipcoin, a chinese exchange, say's they were hacked and are closing. They're big on Asian HYIP forums so it may have been a ponzi the whole time.

gotta know when to hodl em and when to fodl em*

*the exchange, blaming hackers, and turn your asscash in real money while someone is still stupid enough to buy it

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
found in the grey thread

quote:

I have a genius (and evil) hypothetical idea for a company owner to profit off bitcoin (self.Bitcoin)

submitted an hour ago * by mitchr4

This is going to get shelled by the buttcoiners but hear me out, because this is some ugly capitalist thinking that would work really well.

A company owner decides to pay all his employees in bitcoin, most of whom work minimum wage. He opens a grocery /liquor/ basic needs store next door which accepts bitcoin, and offers a slight discount compared to other stores. He also offers low income housing close by which excepts bitcoin. Employees naturally begin living in the homes and buying things from the store with their bitcoins. Its close, and it's easy to just buy with bitcoin rather than exchange their entire income into fiat. It's the reverse of our current problem... Where people don't have a reason to buy and use bitcoin. The company owner saves money on payroll services, and he makes a ton of money off sales from the store and the housing development. He's essentially monopolized the neighborhood.

Companies did something similar durig the industrial revolution. They created entire small towns... I also worked a miserable minimum wage job at a company called staff mark (basically a non unionized UPS). They offered a payroll debit card... I'm sure the company got a cut of the transaction fees, and most of these poor employees used the service, it didn't cost them anything to use the card. Most workers were foreign, or dirt poor. I bet many couldn't get bank accounts anyway now that I think about it. People willing to work minimum wage jobs would do them for bitcoins. They have no choice. And it would be extremely profitable for the company owner if he created an environment for the employees to spend their money.

TL; DR A company owner could create his own ecosystem which minimum wage employees would almost be forced to use out of convenience.

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

Uh they forgot the CP shark.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
bitcoin would make really bad company scrip

1. it is still technically possible to convert it to cash
2. the thing it is most easily converted into is drugs

a major (stated) reason that companies paid staff in scrip and had company stores was to stop them from buying drugs and booze

here, workers, i will pay you in play money, which you can effectively only use to buy illegal drugs

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

The Juggernaut posted:

Uh they forgot the Torpedo.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

found in the grey thread

legally, aren't employers mandated to have a paycheck option? even though exploitive direct deposit non bank debit cards are a thing, they aren't really the default.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I hope this is art stolen off a Magic card.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

TVarmy posted:

legally, aren't employers mandated to have a paycheck option? even though exploitive direct deposit non bank debit cards are a thing, they aren't really the default.
duhhhh, regulation is BAD

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

found in the grey thread

im the (likely freudian) misuse of the word "excepts" in the sentence right after the use of "accepts"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Muscle Tracer posted:

just sometimes you lose control of the movement :getin:
please don't post what happened in my underwear during every date I've ever been on

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

don't those darknet statistics usually refer to parts of the web you can't reach without a password? so it's not, "94 percent of the internet is blackmarket websites and forbidden knowledge!" and really, "the internet is full of secrets like petabytes of boring business memo and college syllabus PDFs."

like a paywalled thread here would be darknet.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

susie is getting a site together to sell off her DPR trial prints

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer

TVarmy posted:

more like dorknet imho

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
No, it's even simpler than that. The most common definition of The Spooky Dark Web is that you can't find it on normal search engines. So to join the shadowy underworld, you need to go through the highly technical and secretive steps of adding this robots.txt to your root directory.

code:
User-agent: *
Disallow: /
I'd also bet that having a web server respond on anything but :80 would count toward The Dark Web. Beyond that it also refers to orphaned links, the kinds on public servers but you need to know the URL to get there instead of relying on a link from somewhere else (like example.com/temp/someDocToShare.ws)

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

FCKGW posted:

susie is getting a site together to sell off her DPR trial prints

finally, somebody making money from bitcoin!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
ahem that is the deep web not the dark web

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

TVarmy posted:

don't those darknet statistics usually refer to parts of the web you can't reach without a password? so it's not, "94 percent of the internet is blackmarket websites and forbidden knowledge!" and really, "the internet is full of secrets like petabytes of boring business memo and college syllabus PDFs."

yes. everybody thinks the Deep Web and Dark Web are the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

what about the Dank Web

• Locked thread