Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Jack of Hearts posted:

That it was overrun with reactionary idiots isn't really in question. But games media is poo poo, and there were reasonable amounts of non-white non-male gamers who decided to be publicly outraged for reasons which approximate plausibility. (Not that the outrage was justified, but that it wasn't artificial.)

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jack of Hearts posted:

That it was overrun with reactionary idiots isn't really in question. But games media is poo poo, and there were reasonable amounts of non-white non-male gamers who decided to be publicly outraged for reasons which approximate plausibility. (Not that the outrage was justified, but that it wasn't artificial.)

Sloppy writing on internet weblogs about children's toys: the most pressing object of rage for today's people of color.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Jack of Hearts posted:

Yes, I too consider "some rear end in a top hat making poo poo up about his ex-girlfriend" to be a reason which approximates plausibility.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yo, I am not a gamer. I own exactly one game that's less than three years old.

Jack Gladney posted:

Sloppy writing on internet weblogs about children's toys: the most pressing object of rage for today's people of color.

Uh...no. But I don't presume to command what people can get outraged about. Some people are nerds who really really care about games. Do you want to defend the objective merit of every strong opinion you have?

Technogeek posted:

Yes, I too consider "some rear end in a top hat making poo poo up about his ex-girlfriend" to be a reason which approximates plausibility.

I suspend all judgement about this and make zero claims because I don't care. Although maybe you care about it and you've gained access to lots of evidence and you can reasonably demonstrate a case in one direction or another. In which case, lol.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Why must we take GamerGate at face value. Why do you have to give them the benefit of the doubt? If the American Family Association claims to be promoting "stable families that are good for raising children," would you take their outrage, their arguments at face value? I don't think you would. I think you would call bullshit when they spent 99% of their time actively trying to prevent gay people from creating stable families.

Would you take white supremacist outrage about "white genocide" at face value? Again, I don't think you would. I think you would read the 14 words, understand what they are saying with your brain, and conclude it's warmed-over neo-nazi propaganda. Somehow with GamerGate, though, you think they should be given the benefit of the doubt like they're arguing in good faith.

GamerGate was never about games. It was about a bunch of guys being very aggressively not interested in hearing what people with extra X chromosomes had to say about their toys. You can tell this because of the figures they decided to wrap into their conspiracy theories as they spiraled out of control. There were people having their "video game journalism ethics" called into question who had loving gotten fired for exercising proper ethics. There were people being called unethical that pissed a lot of people off when they talked about unethical relationships in European gaming press and Geoff Keighley doing the Halo 4 interviews.

GamerGate never gave any fucks about ethics, and to believe they did means you basically don't actually know anything about games press. Anyone with knowledge of the actual industry could look at their list of "unethical" journalists and conclude they had their heads up their asses.

The "well.. they're talking really loud so maybe they have a point" angle is really only argued by people who agree with the movement in question, but are too cowardly to voice affirmative support due to it not being socially acceptable.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 10, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JaggyJagJag posted:

I would disagree with the second part. A cursory glance at GamerGate shows a very broad and diverse demographic.

About Milo Yiannapolous (sp?), it never occurred to me that lesbians and gays might be transphobic. I guess growing up people tend to just say LGBT so I assumed they were one unified ccoalition. Can anyone shed light on why a gay man would say the things he does? I assumed as someone who heard similar bigoted rhetoric his whole life he would be more sympathetic.

Same reason as this.

Phyllis Schlafly has a whole career built around opposing women's right to work for equal pay and telling women the best thing for them is to be barefoot and pregnant, cooking and cleaning (ie, do the opposite of career-woman Phyllis Schlafly). Because there's a good living to be made and a lot of approval to be gotten for a member of an oppressed class who is willing to reinforce the fictions used by those on top to stay in control.

Milo is willing to sell out his fellow LGBTs for a quick buck and a pat on the head as "one of the good ones" so conservatives can read his work and go "You see Mildred, the gays don't even want marriage. They like being outcast as the perverts they are, it's the best thing for 'em and it's best for us too. See how liberalism has made this gay so unhappy, that's liberalism."

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ErIog posted:

Why must we take GamerGate at face value. Why do you have to give them the benefit of the doubt?

No one is obligated to take anything at face value or give anyone the benefit of the doubt. But inasmuch as gaming media is worthless and corrupt by all accounts, as a nerd, I sympathize with the idea that a bunch of fellow nerds who liked games decided to object online. Even from the start maybe the majority was reactionary MRAs and other weirdos. But as an inclusionary leftist I don't believe in this sneering chauvinism. "Oh, you think the gaming media is poo poo? Be purged!"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Jack of Hearts posted:

No one is obligated to take anything at face value or give anyone the benefit of the doubt. But inasmuch as gaming media is worthless and corrupt by all accounts, as a nerd, I sympathize with the idea that a bunch of fellow nerds who liked games decided to object online. Even from the start maybe the majority was reactionary MRAs and other weirdos. But as an inclusionary leftist I don't believe in this sneering chauvinism.

Ethics was never anything but a mask to fool overly-charitable types like yourself.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jack of Hearts posted:

No one is obligated to take anything at face value or give anyone the benefit of the doubt. But inasmuch as gaming media is worthless and corrupt by all accounts, as a nerd, I sympathize with the idea that a bunch of fellow nerds who liked games decided to object online. Even from the start maybe the majority was reactionary MRAs and other weirdos. But as an inclusionary leftist I don't believe in this sneering chauvinism. "Oh, you think the gaming media is poo poo? Be purged!"

Haha so your backpedal of "who cares anyway" failed and now you're trying "i'm a leftist i have good reasons!"

If nerds really gave a poo poo about game journalism there might have been some kind of organized backlash in the 30 years that games journalism has sucked. Somehow, for some odd reason, the catalyst was allegations of infedelity and then women having opinions. It's not rocket science.

Pope Guilty posted:

Ethics was never anything but a mask to fool overly-charitable types like yourself.

Ethics was the most reasonable and well-fitting post-hoc rationalization to justify the ongoing anger and activisim. Nobody really knew what gamergate was about, 'ethics' just sort of metastasized as the most agreed upon reason.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pope Guilty posted:

Aw, hell. I was in the middle of the Nicomachean Ethics, too. Time to go back to Nietzsche, huh?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jack of Hearts posted:

Aw, hell. I was in the middle of the Nicomachean Ethics, too. Time to go back to Nietzsche, huh?

i'm not a gamer NERD so i don't know this issue as well as you NERDS do

if you have an opinion about this topic you're horrible anyway

i'm a good leftist so i try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt

i'm too busy studying deep philosophical issues to care about this one too much

i wonder what the next feeble excuse will be

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

JaggyJagJag posted:

I guess growing up people tend to just say LGBT so I assumed they were one unified ccoalition. Can anyone shed light on why a gay man would say the things he does? I assumed as someone who heard similar bigoted rhetoric his whole life he would be more sympathetic.

It's an uneasy coalition, and transgender is a weird thing to lump in with L/G/B because it's not an issue of sexual attraction. So a lot of gay people do not identify at all with the trans movement because it's something they've not experienced. It's similar to how a lot of straight people couldn't identify with the experiences of gay people(and maybe still can't in some ways). Wanting to be a different gender and having sexual attraction to the same gender are very different experiences.

Until Obama announced his support for gay marriage there was debate in the black community over that issue. Gay rights activists were comparing it to miscegenation laws, but that argument did not gain traction with a lot of black people. Some of them had trouble identifying with the comparison. One of the strategies of the anti-gay organizations, before the tide of public opinion became stronger, was to exploit gay marriage as a wedge issue in the black community in order to get votes.

Experiencing discrimination or being stigmatized by society is not a universal rallying call because it takes work to identify with experiences that are not your own. Religion can also play a role in which values you believe should be protected in society. It's possible to be a religious person in America that didn't agree with miscegenation laws but also doesn't support gay marriage due to the particular brand of religion they follow.

LGBT is an aspirational acronym that shows what a lot of people want the movement to be, but is not necessarily reflective of the goals of individual efforts. Trans-activists sometimes worry that the T part of LGBT could be jettisoned if it was politically unhelpful to the aims of LGB people.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 10, 2015

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

He's making a joke wherein he interprets my post as being about ethics as a field. It's a funny joke. Relax, chill, and have a chuckle.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

ErIog posted:

It's an uneasy coalition, and transgender is a weird thing to lump in with L/G/B because it's not an issue of sexual attraction. So a lot of gay people do not identify at all with the trans movement because it's something they've not experienced. It's similar to how a lot of straight people couldn't identify with the experiences of gay people(and maybe still can't in some ways). Wanting to be a different gender and having sexual attraction to the same gender are very different experiences.

Until Obama announced his support for gay marriage there was debate in the black community over that issue. Gay rights activists were comparing it to miscegenation laws, but that argument did not gain traction with a lot of black people. Some of them had trouble identifying with the comparison. One of the strategies of the anti-gay organizations, before the tide of public opinion became stronger, was to exploit gay marriage as a wedge issue in the black community in order to get votes.

Experiencing discrimination or being stigmatized by society is not a universal rallying call because it takes work to identify with experiences that are not your own. Religion can also play a role in which values you believe should be protected in society. It's possible to be a religious person in America that didn't agree with miscegenation laws but also doesn't support gay marriage due to the particular brand of religion they follow.

LGBT is an aspirational acronym that shows what a lot of people want the movement to be, but is not necessarily reflective of the goals of individual efforts. Trans-activists sometimes worry that the T part of LGBT could be jettisoned if it was politically unhelpful to the aims of LGB people.

I'm a fan of the term "Gender and Sexual Minorities" (GSM) since it's a big umbrella and explicitly references the position of those groups in society.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm a fan of the term "Gender and Sexual Minorities" (GSM) since it's a big umbrella and explicitly references the position of those groups in society.

Doesn't this have exactly the same problem as LGBT, though? It's putting 2 things together that seem from an outside perspective like they fit together even though they have separate experiences, separate grievances, and a to certain extent separate demands from society. Sometimes their viewpoints can even be at odds with each other. For instance, drag, as a mostly gay cultural phenomenon, is somewhat of a minstrel show from the perspective of some trans people.

Do gay men care if they can mark a W on their license? I don't think that they do.

I think working together toward mutual benefit in society is a really powerful and great thing. However, umbrella terms like GSM or LGBT assume a shared set of values in a way that can create really damaging misunderstandings if people are not very careful in how they go about constructing their movements.

This was a real problem within the women's equality movement. There was an assumption of shared values between white women and minority women that led to real rifts when it turned out those values didn't precisely line up.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Haha so your backpedal of "who cares anyway" failed"

I'm not actually sure how you've derived that.

and now you're trying "i'm a leftist i have good reasons!"

Ah, right, I failed to clarify. I'm a leftist who has arbitrary reasons pleasing to my psyche, which happen to be vaguely in accordance with the reasons pleasing to people who claim to be leftists. Of course, left and right are absurd constructs not applicable since the French Revolution.

If nerds really gave a poo poo about game journalism there might have been some kind of organized backlash in the 30 years that games journalism has sucked.

I dunno, PC Gamer was pretty good in the 90s. There were demo discs, and it correctly named TIE Fighter as the best game of all time.

Somehow, for some odd reason, the catalyst was allegations of infedelity and then women having opinions. It's not rocket science.

Well, hell. I've been lighthearted to this point, but this has real merit. It's a fair hypothesis. My contrary hypothesis is that the outrage of nerds over gossip provided the spark for a larger process.

Ethics was the most reasonable and well-fitting post-hoc rationalization to justify the ongoing anger and activisim. Nobody really knew what gamergate was about, 'ethics' just sort of metastasized as the most agreed upon reason.

Or gossipy bullshit served as the catalyst for a nerd outrage reaction that was overdue.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

VitalSigns posted:

Same reason as this.

Phyllis Schlafly has a whole career built around opposing women's right to work for equal pay and telling women the best thing for them is to be barefoot and pregnant, cooking and cleaning (ie, do the opposite of career-woman Phyllis Schlafly). Because there's a good living to be made and a lot of approval to be gotten for a member of an oppressed class who is willing to reinforce the fictions used by those on top to stay in control.

Milo is willing to sell out his fellow LGBTs for a quick buck and a pat on the head as "one of the good ones" so conservatives can read his work and go "You see Mildred, the gays don't even want marriage. They like being outcast as the perverts they are, it's the best thing for 'em and it's best for us too. See how liberalism has made this gay so unhappy, that's liberalism."

Hell, Milo's hardly the first one. Finding and highlighting LGBT "good ones" has been a part of the conservative playbook for a few years now. It's been the launchpad of several careers already, such as Robert Oscar Lopez, who is a self-identified bisexual who was raised by two moms and has an obvious, extreme hatred for them. While he writes articles for numerous right wing websites, oftentimes about how the gay community as a nasty, terrible place full of bad people, he also writes explicit gay erotica. Or Matt Moore, a self-identified gay man who struggles against his "sin", who nonetheless was spotted on grindr while writing columns for Barbwire, a site that advocates re-criminalizing sodomy.

Neither of these men are paragons of integrity, and Lopez's rants border on actual insanity, but they fill a niche that the anti-gay side needs in this point in time. Barbwire has openly advocated for making sodomy illegal again, and defended the Arizona pastor that called for the execution of homosexuals, and Moore was able to get away with his "disobedience" by essentially shrugging his shoulders and saying "oops!" Conservatives realize that they need the self-loathing LGBTs on their side, and are willing to put up with any amount of baggage just to get the "See, even THEY don't want special rights!" reaction from their base.

also shut the gently caress up about video games jesus loving christ

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Jack of Hearts posted:

Or gossipy bullshit served as the catalyst for a nerd outrage reaction that was overdue.

If they were so outraged over ethics then why did they go after Jeff Gerstmann who was notably fired for giving a bad review to a game that was being advertised?

I don't even know why I'm responding to you. You're basically concern trolling. GamerGate would never in a million years have led to more ethical games journalism by going after the people they were choosing to go after.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 10, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jack of Hearts posted:

Well, hell. I've been lighthearted to this point, but this has real merit. It's a fair hypothesis. My contrary hypothesis is that the outrage of nerds over gossip provided the spark for a larger process.

occams razor that poo poo

nerds have finally stood up to the awful collusion between big developers and game reviewers by harassing the poo poo out of small time independent game producers

or

nerds have huge unresolved women problems and lash out when women seem to encroach on their hugbox identity-forming hobby

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

ErIog posted:

This politoons edit comes to mind.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

occams razor that poo poo

nerds have finally stood up to the awful collusion between big developers and game reviewers by harassing the poo poo out of small time independent game producers

or

nerds have huge unresolved women problems and lash out when women seem to encroach on their hugbox identity-forming hobby

The latter claim is obviously true. But the claim that started this argument was "Gamergate was always about conservatism." Maybe I just disagree because left and right aren't actually a thing post 17-whatever.

e: It was a nerd thing, and nerd things are generally orthogonal to normal politics.

Tacky-Ass Rococco fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 10, 2015

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Jack of Hearts posted:

The latter claim is obviously true. But the claim that started this argument was "Gamergate was always about conservatism." Maybe I just disagree because left and right aren't actually a thing post 17-whatever.

and the winner is: truth is in the middleism! Ladies and gentlemen he's Above it All!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jack of Hearts posted:

e: It was a nerd thing, and nerd things are generally orthogonal to normal politics.

reactionary then, whatever language is politically acceptable to you

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

ErIog posted:

While it's true that homosexuality and transgenderism are distinct and separate phenomena, homophobia and transphobia spring from the exact same type of ignorance. Bigots don't make distinctions between gay and trans people, to them they're all just gross deviant fags. Hence it actually makes a lot of sense to form a coalition.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

reactionary then, whatever language is politically acceptable to you

Thank you.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

The Dark One posted:

This politoons edit comes to mind.

The what-I-presume-to-be-original portions remind me of something.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wait wait so you're fine with talking about politics on a reactionary-to-progressive axis, and that whole thing was you objecting to calling people on that scale rightist or leftist because you're mad that the gamer-gate participants aren't literally sitting in a debate chamber with a seating order based on political outlook? :raise:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I think he's trying to say that video games and their players are exempt from normal political or sociological analysis, somehow

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Starving Autist posted:

While it's true that homosexuality and transgenderism are distinct and separate phenomena, homophobia and transphobia spring from the exact same type of ignorance. Bigots don't make distinctions between gay and trans people, to them they're all just gross deviant fags. Hence it actually makes a lot of sense to form a coalition.

They don't make the distinction until they do.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

computer parts posted:

They don't make the distinction until they do.

To add to this, there have been a lot of strides towards gay acceptance in the last few decades. There have not been those same strides toward accepting trans people. For people who were slowly convinced that gay people aren't duplicitous perverted mental cases, trans people are still a bridge too far. There has not been a trans version of Ellen. There has been no trans Will and Grace. The most high profile mainstream trans events have been Chas Bono on Dancing with the Stars and Chelsea Manning. Chas Bono was had a mixed reception, and Chelsea Manning was heavily politicized along political lines.

For your average cis-gendered(I hate this term too, sorry) straight person, LGB being mixed with T is very confusing. You hear stuff like, "well, we have gay marriage now, doesn't that solve trans issues?" Well, it does and it doesn't. Am I going to be imprisoned for using a public bathroom? What if I get doxxed, and my employer chooses to fire me despite my having successfully lived as my preferred gender for years? Am I going to be hassled every time I have to show the ID where my gender doesn't match what I currently look like? These are issues gay people do not have, and there has not been any concerted effort to educate people.

In my experience, bigots dislike gay people, but they have a unique separate visceral fear of trans people. They really don't like the idea that they don't have the power to decide another person's gender. They feel that gay people are sexual perverts, but they feel trans people are transgressing a much more fundamental biological "reality." They take it as a categorically different betrayal of the social order.

Even well-meaning liberals often fall into the :biotruths: trap where having a penis means you like <insert typically male-centric thing here>. They find the idea of someone being sexually attracted to the same sex a lot easier to understand. They do not understand what it's like to wake up every day in a body you feel does not represent yourself. It has not been explained to them.

Then on top of all this you have people who think they understand because they know who Ru-Paul is, and that's just :ughh: all the way down.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 10, 2015

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

ErIog posted:

To add to this, there have been a lot of strides towards gay acceptance in the last few decades. There have not been those same strides toward accepting trans people. For people who were slowly convinced that gay people aren't duplicitous perverted mental cases, trans people are still a bridge too far. There has not been a trans version of Ellen. There has been no trans Will and Grace. The most high profile mainstream trans events have been Chas Bono on Dancing with the Stars and Chelsea Manning. Chas Bono was had a mixed reception, and Chelsea Manning was heavily politicized along political lines.

It's true that trans rights have been slower to win acceptance, but I'm not sure if this is due to inherent hostility or just the fact that trans people are relatively rare. I believe that increasing gay acceptance is in part encouraged by increased visibility, so naturally trans people will fall behind on that metric just because there aren't as many of them, and on top of that some amount of them live "stealth". There is still a long way to go, but I think gay and trans rights are on the same trajectory, even though gay rights have a sizable lead at the moment.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ErIog posted:

For your average cis-gendered(I hate this term too, sorry) straight person, LGB being mixed with T is very confusing. You hear stuff like, "well, we have gay marriage now, doesn't that solve trans issues?" Well, it does and it doesn't. Am I going to be imprisoned for using a public bathroom? What if I get doxxed, and my employer chooses to fire me despite my having successfully lived as my preferred gender for years? Am I going to be hassled every time I have to show the ID where my gender doesn't match what I currently look like? These are issues gay people do not have, and there has not been any concerted effort to educate people.

In my experience, bigots dislike gay people, but they have a unique separate visceral fear of trans people. They really don't like the idea that they don't have the power to decide another person's gender. They feel that gay people are sexual perverts, but they feel trans people are transgressing a much more fundamental biological "reality." They take it as a categorically different betrayal of the social order.

Even well-meaning liberals often fall into the :biotruths: trap where having a penis means you like <insert typically male-centric thing here>. They find the idea of someone being sexually attracted to the same sex a lot easier to understand. They do not understand what it's like to wake up every day in a body you feel does not represent yourself. It has not been explained to them.

Then on top of all this you have people who think they understand because they know who Ru-Paul is, and that's just :ughh: all the way down.

Also trans folks get a lot of hostility because they threaten other people's sexual identity more or less by existing.

As in, there's people who go into meltdown because they find someone attractive and then find out they are 'really' a dude. But obviously they can't like dudes because they're not gay, oh god I like that dude I'm turning gay loving TRANS BASTARDS MAKING ME GAY AAAAAAAAAA. Some people really do need to learn about the kinsey scale. And/Or stop defining the legitimacy of their existence based on who they find attractive.

Again, not really something that cisgendered folks have a lot of trouble with, other than possibly gay people getting poo poo from very insecure people worried they will hit on them or something. So it doesn't come up as part of general LGB stuff.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 10, 2015

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Neither of these men are paragons of integrity, and Lopez's rants border on actual insanity, but they fill a niche that the anti-gay side needs in this point in time.

Lopez actually claims that he used to be fit and ripped but was so insecure about the attention he would get from gay men that he purposely turned himself into an obese slob. It's telling that conservatives are willing to prop up such a clearly mentally disturbed individual as a spokesman just because he's a bisexual man who will say bad things about gays.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Jack of Hearts posted:

Although maybe you care about it and you've gained access to lots of evidence and you can reasonably demonstrate a case in one direction or another. In which case, lol.

You could always ask Cowcaster about it if you really cared.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Jack of Hearts posted:

The giant, glaring, legitimate problems with ethics in video game journalism are from the AAA publishers, which GG has either ignored or said that doing anything about them would be too haaaaaard :qq:. Anything legitimate they're doing is like tending to a hangnail while ignoring a gunshot wound, and even that's overshadowed by all the illegitimate bullshit around them.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster
I'm not sure it counts as an editorial, but the AP posted this thing a while ago on the guy behind the Chapel Hill shooting and it's just...baffling.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ed392e6110a341a9bbe00578ebfb0919/shooting-suspect-slams-religion-while-defending-liberty

quote:

Shooting suspect slams religion while defending liberty
By ALLEN G. BREED and MICHAEL BIESECKER
Feb. 15, 2015 2:39 PM EST

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) — If his Facebook page is any indication, Craig Hicks doesn't hate Muslims. An avowed atheist, his online posts instead depict a man who despises religion itself, but nevertheless seems to support an individual's right to his own beliefs.

"I hate Islam just as much as christianity, but they have the right to worship in this country just as much as any others do," the man now accused of killing three Muslim college students stated in one 2012 post over the proposed construction of a mosque near the World Trade Center site in New York.

Days after the shooting deaths of Deah Shaddy Barakat, 23; his wife, Yusor Mohammad Abu-Salha, 21; and her sister, Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha, 19, a nuanced and sometimes contradictory portrait is emerging of the man charged in their slayings.

Police in Chapel Hill said they have yet to uncover any evidence that Hicks, 46, allegedly acted out of religious animus, though they are investigating the possibility. As a potential motive, they cited a dispute over parking spaces at the condo community where Hicks and two of the victims lived.

Hicks' court-appointed lawyer, Stephen Freedman, said he could not comment on the case. Hicks was being held without bond.

In often publicly posted Facebook rants, Hicks was brazen about his disdain for all faiths. In one post regarding specific texts from the Quran, the Jewish Talmud and the Bible about battling nonbelievers, he wrote: "I wish they would exterminate each other!"

But he was just as passionate about personal freedom and liberty — championing an individual's right to worship or not worship, legal abortion and gay marriage and, perhaps most fervently, the right to own and bear arms. If he has a creed, it's the Second Amendment.

quote:

In a news conference after her husband's arrest, Karen Hicks claimed to be as baffled as anyone about how a man who loves the Pittsburgh Steelers, the United States Constitution and dogs — especially his own black and brown mutt, Rocky — could have done something so vicious. She was adamant that the shootings stemmed from a long-simmering dispute over parking at their condo complex, not the victims' faith.

quote:

One of the victim's fathers, Namee Barakat, told the AP that Hicks also had visited his son's condo previously, flashing his gun as he demanded they stop using visitors' parking spots.

On Monday, Hicks posted a precious video link with his Facebook friends. The clip showed a dachshund puppy, repeatedly dinging a small silver bell with its paw to receive a treat.

"A different take on Pavlov!" he wrote, referring to the famous psychological experiment. "The cutest thing you have seen all day!!"

It was his last post. The following day, according to police, Hicks walked around to the backside of his condo building, entered his neighbors' home and, their friends and family believe, made martyrs of the three young Muslims.

Thanks for telling us that the guy who killed three people loves his dog that is crucial information

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Just a brave patriot defending his parking freedoms from evil mooselimb hordes :911:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MaxxBot posted:

Just a brave patriot defending his parking freedoms from evil mooselimb hordes :911:

No, it was just a parking dispute.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Actually, it's about ethics in parking spaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pope Guilty posted:

Actually, it's about ethics in parking spaces.
:vince:

Hey bro, this isn't some religious nut killer, he's a crazy fucker nuanced person with sophisticated beliefs that, while seemingly contradictory, reveal a depth of character :technobabble:

The lengths the media are going to rationalize him going bugfuck are pretty amazing. It's Trayvon levels of poo poo-flinging.

• Locked thread