Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

If I'm understanding correctly, the left end screws into the junction box/fan/hood/whatever, and the metal washer digs in to keep it firmly in place. You would tighten it down with a wrench on the center hexagonal part. The wires would come in from the right. Once everything is in place you tighten the screwcap on the right to hold the wires tightly.

And the unstripped part of the wire is what should pass through the gray gadget. The only stripped parts or single wires should be inside the junction box.

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Long shot question:

Place I rent has somewhat decent appliances included. Recently the fridge has struggled to maintain its internal temperature.

Recently I had to set the thermostat to the lowest it would go (34 degrees) however a thermostat in the fridge reports 48 degrees. This I feel is causing food to go badly much more quickly than it otherwise would.

I've also noticed that the inside of the fridge is usually really wet (visible condensation on the walls and any containers).

Could this be an indication of a problem that needs to be addressed, or am I imaging things?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wicaeed posted:

Could this be an indication of a problem that needs to be addressed, or am I imaging things?

Well, your fridge is headed on a one-way street to giving you and yours food poisoning, so, yes, address this immediately! Could be a wide variety of things though, so without additional information, hard to say what the root cause is.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Your fridge is broken and you should bug the landlord until they fix it.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

slap me silly posted:

Your fridge is broken and you should bug the landlord until they fix it.

Yeah, that's the reason you're paying out the rear end for rent instead of a nice reasonable mortgage (well, and possibly bad credit and/or a host of other reasons). But one of the few perks of renting is that you can call up the landlord and get poo poo fixed at no additional charge. Sure, it might be a week before they actually get around to calling the repairman, but they will eventually.

Conversely, one of the perks of being a homeowner is that while you do have to pay to fix whatever breaks, you can get it fixed on the day it breaks. (Sorry, I'm just bitter about my slumlord taking a week to send a guy to fix the A/C in the middle of Texas summer and two days to call a plumber when the water pipe froze and popped.)

As for diagnosis, I have a working knowledge of refrigeration from going to work with my dad, sort of an apprenticeship without the actual learning of the craft. He did commercial/residential HVAC, but it's the same principle as a fridge, just on a different scale. Not cooling and water dripping down the walls means it's hosed. For your A/C, that means calling my dad to come out and put more Freon in it; for a fridge, it means having it replaced -- they're cheap enough that it's not worth finding/fixing the leak and refilling it, if they even have ports to add more refrigerant.

Whatever the case, it's the landlord's problem.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Delivery McGee posted:

Conversely, one of the perks of being a homeowner is that while you do have to pay to fix whatever breaks, you can get it fixed on the day it breaks.

Ha! I wish. Every time my HVAC has busted in the middle of a temperature extreme it's been at least half a week to get it dealt with. New dishwasher took 3 days. Etc etc.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

slap me silly posted:

Ha! I wish. Every time my HVAC has busted in the middle of a temperature extreme it's been at least half a week to get it dealt with. New dishwasher took 3 days. Etc etc.

This is why you have family that can do all this poo poo :smug: It only took him a month and constant calling to get it fixed. :eng99: Though I did get the refrigerant free, the compressor at cost, and the labor was $100 for the labor (One of his guys came over and did it for extra money). Holy gently caress did my electric bill go up in the meantime though. Saved quite a few :10bux:

On to a question of mine.

I reaaaaaaaaaaally need to insulate my home. This cold snap has reminded me just how much, my central can't keep up with heating he house, and the gas heater barely helps. The biggest problem right now are the exterior walls. The house was built in the 1940's, and the inside, there's drywall over the original beadboard, and on the outside, there is the original siding, followed by a layer of what looks like just galvanized sheet metal, 1/8" foam insulation, then the non-insulated vinyl siding. I'm looking to fill the wall cavities. Of the research I've done, it looks like blown insulation is going to be the way to go for me, is there any reason to consider foam? It looks incredibly expensive, and unlikely to even be applied in the wall cavities. I might do the foam for the flooring when I get to it, but the walls need it worse. It also looks like Lowes has a free blower rental for 24hrs if you buy a certain amount (Not sure how much yet).

tl;dr Any reason to take a second glance at foam over blown insulation?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Mine was built in that era. It is brick, which means two things: there isn't enough space in the walls for blown-in insulation to make much difference, and putting insulation in there could change up the moisture movement and possible gently caress things up badly.

Have you seen to air sealing? That's a good first step - cheaper, less hassle, and still very effective if you have air moving in and out around windows and doors.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

tl;dr Any reason to take a second glance at foam over blown insulation?

For filling existing wall cavities probably not.

But worry about two other things first:

Air sealing. Windows are terrible for this and simply caulking around the inside trim can make a huge difference. Outlets in outside walls that are leaky can let a lot of air in as well. And of course doors. Sealing up an exterior door and putting on a quality storm door is quite effective. Then caulk the trim as well.

Then look up. Once you're air sealed that's where most of your heat is going and it should be easier/cheaper to deal with if you have a traditional attic.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Motronic posted:

For filling existing wall cavities probably not.

But worry about two other things first:

Air sealing. Windows are terrible for this and simply caulking around the inside trim can make a huge difference. Outlets in outside walls that are leaky can let a lot of air in as well. And of course doors. Sealing up an exterior door and putting on a quality storm door is quite effective. Then caulk the trim as well.

Then look up. Once you're air sealed that's where most of your heat is going and it should be easier/cheaper to deal with if you have a traditional attic.

I have a 1.5 story house. The "attic" is a short room (7 ft tall to the ceiling, which is laid on the collars of the roof). I insulated it with R15 last year, top and sides, and it stays surprisingly warm compared to the rest of the house. The biggest problem is probably things like the air leaks you mentioned, and the fact there is basically no insulation in my exterior walls. I do have a few tubes of terrible caulk, so I'll do all the insides of the windows and doors today, which won't be a problem. the doors need to be replaced badly, I know. We'll start with the basics however, thanks!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

I insulated it with R15 last year, top and sides

What part of the world are you in? R15 would be a joke in a ceiling here in the northeast. You'd need a minimum of DOUBLE that.

Which is why they sell R-30C (c for "cathedral ceiling") which is R-30 fiberglass insulation that will fit in a 2x6 stud bay.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Motronic posted:

What part of the world are you in? R15 would be a joke in a ceiling here in the northeast. You'd need a minimum of DOUBLE that.

Which is why they sell R-30C (c for "cathedral ceiling") which is R-30 fiberglass insulation that will fit in a 2x6 stud bay.

Sorry, didn't specify (even though it is on the ceiling too), most of that is on the walls. The upstairs is a smallish room that has boards nailed up, and I put insulation on the outside of that. The ceiling has R13, which the retarded roofer bought because I didn't specify. It is sheathed however which may or may not inpact anything. It's not being changed any time soon as we don't have an actual access to that ceiling area (He put it in by cutting a hole in the slats when he was putting the metal down).

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

slap me silly posted:

If I'm understanding correctly, the left end screws into the junction box/fan/hood/whatever, and the metal washer digs in to keep it firmly in place. You would tighten it down with a wrench on the center hexagonal part. The wires would come in from the right. Once everything is in place you tighten the screwcap on the right to hold the wires tightly.

And the unstripped part of the wire is what should pass through the gray gadget. The only stripped parts or single wires should be inside the junction box.

That would actually make a lot of sense. Thanks.

Now, this same range exhaust has the usual green grounding screw. I have a bare ground wire that I'll be connecting to it. Are you supposed to tighten the green grounding screw after winding the ground wire around it? Also, is it sufficient to wind it around just one time around?

Sorry for all of these questions. I just kinda don't want to cause a disaster. :ohdear:

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Gothmog1065 posted:

I insulated it with R15 last year, top and sides, and it stays surprisingly warm compared to the rest of the house.

That's because the rest of your house's heat is rising up to there, not because that's anywhere near decent insulation.

For air sealing, don't forget your floor/basement. The main force driving air leakage in homes is the stack effect, so plugging leaks at the top and the bottom has the biggest impact. Also, one of the benefits of filling your walls with dense-pack cellulose (which generally requires a stronger blower than you can rent from home depot) is that it gets tight enough to significantly restrict air flow, reducing air leakage.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 22, 2015

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Make a U-shaped loop in the wire and hook it around the screw, then tighten it down like gently caress. Don't actually try to wrap it all the way around. Orient the loop so that tightening the screw also tightens the loop, just like you'd do for an outlet:

Although . . . are there no special instructions or a fitting or something in the installation manual for that ground screw? Seems a little weird that everything is painted, paint gets in the way of good contact.

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 22, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Lets say I want to make a large plastic honeycomb, like 100mm+ cells, I'm thinking I could use pvc tube, put it into a hexagonal (wooden) mold, I then need to heat it to 100'c+. I'm then at a loss, I can't think of an easy way to push the plastic out to the mold. A mandrel would be a lot of work to make and might just push the plastic through, I can't think of a way to inflate the tube, sealing it would be difficult. How much heat can a car inner tube take? Would a hot air gun be sufficient to bring it up to temperature?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Cakefool posted:

Lets say I want to make a large plastic honeycomb, like 100mm+ cells, I'm thinking I could use pvc tube, put it into a hexagonal (wooden) mold, I then need to heat it to 100'c+. I'm then at a loss, I can't think of an easy way to push the plastic out to the mold. A mandrel would be a lot of work to make and might just push the plastic through, I can't think of a way to inflate the tube, sealing it would be difficult. How much heat can a car inner tube take? Would a hot air gun be sufficient to bring it up to temperature?

Is this solely decorative or does it need to perform some function?

I'm thinking the easiest way would be to form plastic sheets. If you connect them all with the open joint in the same alignment they would hold shape (final row would be rotated 180 north to south)

EvilMayo fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 22, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'd like it to take a little weight (2kg per cell) so that way would require a good bond and thick walls, but I could easily wrap sheets around a buck. I'll keep that idea thanks.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

Cakefool posted:

I'd like it to take a little weight (2kg per cell) so that way would require a good bond and thick walls, but I could easily wrap sheets around a buck. I'll keep that idea thanks.

just make a single 60 (typo corrected) degree bend and form the sheets using that. I think that would be the most efficient construction.

If you are putting weight on it as you would walk on a rug, you really do not need thick walls. Assembly as I mentioned will create walls twice as thick as your source material and lock the shape. If I were making honeycomb I would make a box frame for the project, apply a 20minute or more epoxy brushed thinly on the sides, then clamp the box frame to hold everything together.

If this doesn't need to be honeycomb I would suggest just cutting pvc and connect round cells. Keep in mind a cylinder (or cell) is very strong when weight travels down the long sides. For example: a small can can easily support the weight of a person. For fun try this with some thin-walled plastic pipe. If you accurately cut a plastic straw square you could place a board on top to distribute weight and stand on it.

E:vvv yes 60. Describe the project a bit of you want, I'm interested.

EvilMayo fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 22, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The cells will be horizontal, not vertical, so not intrinsically strong in compression sadly. You mean 60' as well, I believe?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

Sorry, didn't specify (even though it is on the ceiling too), most of that is on the walls. The upstairs is a smallish room that has boards nailed up, and I put insulation on the outside of that. The ceiling has R13, which the retarded roofer bought because I didn't specify. It is sheathed however which may or may not inpact anything. It's not being changed any time soon as we don't have an actual access to that ceiling area (He put it in by cutting a hole in the slats when he was putting the metal down).

Yeah, without answering my question (where are you, i.e. what are the average temps) nobody is going to be able to really help you. If you're somewhere that gets to or below freezing using 2x4 insulation (R13) in a ceiling is likely to be an overwhelming problem. Depending on exactly what your average temps are it could be a problem so large that fixing it could see an ROI inside of a few years.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Motronic posted:

Yeah, without answering my question (where are you, i.e. what are the average temps) nobody is going to be able to really help you. If you're somewhere that gets to or below freezing using 2x4 insulation (R13) in a ceiling is likely to be an overwhelming problem. Depending on exactly what your average temps are it could be a problem so large that fixing it could see an ROI inside of a few years.

North Carolina. We (like most of the northern US) have had a nasty cold snap, and it's reminded me how poorly this house is insulated. I'm going to have to go into the crawlspace at some point and pull down all of that insulation and put up new stuff there too, and put down vapor barrier so hopefully the new stuff won't get too heavy and fall out like the old insulation is.

The problem with the ceiling (especially) in the second story is it is impossible (Okay, incredibly difficult) to get to. The other attic spaces surrounding it isn't that hard to get to, and I'm going to have to put down new insulation in there eventually as well. But the ceiling above here there is no actual access to. If it's going to be that bad I might have to cut an access so we can put down more insulation.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

North Carolina. We (like most of the northern US) have had a nasty cold snap, and it's reminded me how poorly this house is insulated. I'm going to have to go into the crawlspace at some point and pull down all of that insulation and put up new stuff there too, and put down vapor barrier so hopefully the new stuff won't get too heavy and fall out like the old insulation is.

I don't know when this space was converted, but it's code in NC to have a minimum of R30 in a converted attic space. And it has been for quite some time.

Gothmog1065 posted:

The problem with the ceiling (especially) in the second story is it is impossible (Okay, incredibly difficult) to get to. The other attic spaces surrounding it isn't that hard to get to, and I'm going to have to put down new insulation in there eventually as well. But the ceiling above here there is no actual access to. If it's going to be that bad I might have to cut an access so we can put down more insulation.

Sounds like a situation where I'd pull down the ceiling drywall or plaster, insulate properly, put up the vapor barrier that likely isn't there and re-rock. Of course, that's a guess since I don't know the layout.

But insulation in the ceiling is quite important both in the cold and the heat.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cakefool posted:

The cells will be horizontal, not vertical, so not intrinsically strong in compression sadly. You mean 60' as well, I believe?
Why hexagons instead of triangles?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Motronic posted:

I don't know when this space was converted, but it's code in NC to have a minimum of R30 in a converted attic space. And it has been for quite some time.

Sounds like a situation where I'd pull down the ceiling drywall or plaster, insulate properly, put up the vapor barrier that likely isn't there and re-rock. Of course, that's a guess since I don't know the layout.

But insulation in the ceiling is quite important both in the cold and the heat.

Here, have a lovely mspaint picture of the 2nd story.

The roof is a hip roof with a few "wings" coming out for windows (one is in the attic space and wasn't converted). All sides (Including the top) are covered in R13 batt insulation (This to be precise) on the walls and in the ceiling, so it includes the vapor barrier. The roofers threw it down for me after they had torn off the old roof, they cut a hole and went in that way to lay it. I seriously doubt anyone who converted this gave 2 fucks about any codes when they did it. The ceiling is old beadboard (you know the poo poo drat near impossible to drive a nail through?) If I cut an access, I will probably end up just putting a piece of plywood over it and screwing it back up (as I don't ever plan on going back in there), and I"ll probably do it in one side that has a closet of sorts. The walls have the batt stapled to the walls with the paper side toward the inside.

Would I be able to lay other insulation on top of it since it already has the vapor barrier on it? i'd really hate to have to pull all of that insulation back out, but I do want it done properly.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

Why hexagons instead of triangles?

More useful storage space. Think bottle rack or something.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

The roof is a hip roof with a few "wings" coming out for windows (one is in the attic space and wasn't converted). All sides (Including the top) are covered in R13 batt insulation (This to be precise) on the walls and in the ceiling, so it includes the vapor barrier. The roofers threw it down for me after they had torn off the old roof, they cut a hole and went in that way to lay it. I seriously doubt anyone who converted this gave 2 fucks about any codes when they did it. The ceiling is old beadboard (you know the poo poo drat near impossible to drive a nail through?) If I cut an access, I will probably end up just putting a piece of plywood over it and screwing it back up (as I don't ever plan on going back in there), and I"ll probably do it in one side that has a closet of sorts. The walls have the batt stapled to the walls with the paper side toward the inside.

Would I be able to lay other insulation on top of it since it already has the vapor barrier on it? i'd really hate to have to pull all of that insulation back out, but I do want it done properly.

Ohhhh....just cut an access between studs and throw some trim around it to make it look nice. If you frame it out with 2x4s and leave yourself a nailing edge you can make a cover for it and zip it up there with a few drywall screws.

You want to have reasonably easy access to that when necessary. If you have a fire, if you see a leak in the ceiling, etc.

As far as insulating it, sure, you can roll out batts but you can also just blow in a bunch of cellulose. If the space is big enough it makes sense to just get a truck out there to do the bottom of your currently inaccessible space as well as the bottoms of your accessible spaces. R15 on the walls of the built our room should be just fine, providing the horizontal spaces are insulated properly.

This shouldn't be a big deal and will make a hell of a difference summer and winter.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

slap me silly posted:

Make a U-shaped loop in the wire and hook it around the screw, then tighten it down like gently caress. Don't actually try to wrap it all the way around. Orient the loop so that tightening the screw also tightens the loop, just like you'd do for an outlet:

Although . . . are there no special instructions or a fitting or something in the installation manual for that ground screw? Seems a little weird that everything is painted, paint gets in the way of good contact.
Heh, interesting that you mentioned that it shouldn't be wrapped all the way around. When the builder of our house installed the range, they wrapped it around not once around the grounding screw, but twice. That's just one of the many surprises that I've been finding with this house. And unfortunately, the range hood's instructions don't provide any helpful information beyond "Connect green (or bare) ground wire from power supply to green ground screw in terminal box."

Either way, thanks for the help. Wiring has always been a bit daunting to me, but with your advice I should be able to manage from this point onward. :)

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 23, 2015

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

So I have a low pitch sloped roof here in Southern California and it's nearing the end of it's life. I also suspect that I need a lot more insulation and better ventilation in my attic, to which I have very limited access. Would it be insane to want to insulate from the top down while the roof's being replaced? I have the feeling that rigid insulation under the sheathing won't be nearly as helpful as the same r-value over the rafters. Is that true?

Right now I've only got vents in the gables, but I see modern construction uses soffit and ridge venting. I don't have moisture problems that would indicate inadequate venting, but it does get terribly hot up there in the summer. Am I likely to see any benefits from adding additional ventilation, or is insulation going to be the better bang for the buck?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

Tricky Ed posted:

So I have a low pitch sloped roof here in Southern California and it's nearing the end of it's life. I also suspect that I need a lot more insulation and better ventilation in my attic, to which I have very limited access. Would it be insane to want to insulate from the top down while the roof's being replaced? I have the feeling that rigid insulation under the sheathing won't be nearly as helpful as the same r-value over the rafters. Is that true?

Right now I've only got vents in the gables, but I see modern construction uses soffit and ridge venting. I don't have moisture problems that would indicate inadequate venting, but it does get terribly hot up there in the summer. Am I likely to see any benefits from adding additional ventilation, or is insulation going to be the better bang for the buck?

You do not want to insulate an unconditioned space. You will have problems.

Also get a white roof.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
EDIT: GOt a hold of the plasterer - all is good.

A LOVELY LAD fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 25, 2015

M42
Nov 12, 2012

So at work, we have this hot water tower that's terribly designed. The button you press for the water is directly above the spout, and steam floats up and under the cover and basically corrodes the button contacts all day long. We already lost one entire machine, and its replacement is having the same issues (makes noise when pressed, water cuts out often.) Guy responsible for taking care of parts is dragging his feet on ordering them, so I was wondering if I could just clean and coat the contact area with dielectric grease for now. I've only ever used that stuff in semipermanent immobile connections in automobiles, I don't know how well it'll work with an actual button if it's covering all the contact areas.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
That is totally a situation where I would come in after hours and do whatever kind of loving around and just see if it helped :)

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That's pretty much why I'm asking, my coworkers would cartwheel with joy if I could solve this problem, but it's like a $1.5k machine so I'd just like to make sure I'm not gonna gently caress it up even worse.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Is it a work-related machine, or, like, a coffee machine? We sent our $1500 coffee machine back to the factory for servicing after a few years, that worked out pretty well.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Work related machine FOR coffee, at a coffee bar. Can't send it off unfortunately (even if we could, the person responsible for that would take like 2 months to do it)

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

M42 posted:

Work related machine FOR coffee, at a coffee bar. Can't send it off unfortunately (even if we could, the person responsible for that would take like 2 months to do it)

Can you fashion a hood to divert the steam away from the button? It likely would be very small and out of the way.

Hoopaloops
Oct 21, 2005
I have a large circular mirror I'd like to hang over my fireplace. The mirror was designed to be hung by a french cleat, but there is some paneled woodwork above my fireplace I'd like to avoid drilling into. Anyone have any suggestions about hanging this thing up? Originally I thought about hanging it from the molding above the paneling, but that idea went out the window after I weighed the mirror and it came in at 40 lbs. Anyone have any suggestions?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Hoopaloops posted:

I have a large circular mirror I'd like to hang over my fireplace. The mirror was designed to be hung by a french cleat, but there is some paneled woodwork above my fireplace I'd like to avoid drilling into. Anyone have any suggestions about hanging this thing up? Originally I thought about hanging it from the molding above the paneling, but that idea went out the window after I weighed the mirror and it came in at 40 lbs. Anyone have any suggestions?

A picture of the space in question might help. Right now it sounds like you are asking how to mount a 40lb object on a wall without screwing anything into the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Hoopaloops posted:

Am I missing something? 40 pounds isn't that much. You'll have to mount your mirror to something, preferably the wall behind it,. Still, you could most likely do 40 pounds from the molding if you wish. The tensile strength on steel picture wire is incredible.