Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Flipswitch posted:

So like, is Freeze top 3 EU ADC? he's been doing pretty good I think!

He drew 2 bans today and still played incredibly well. That's about as high impact as it gets at the pro level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Tabbz definitely owns. He seems to have a natural gift for talking in a way that sounds good & makes sense.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Jerkface posted:

Tabbz definitely owns. He seems to have a natural gift for talking in a way that sounds good & makes sense.

He's obviously very new to this so he has a lot he can work on.

It's clear Riot needs a back up for when Krepo decides to dress up as Zwarte Piet before worlds though.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Despite the team shakeups I see that EULCS remains true to its roots - everybody's losing to everyone again. Except Elements, they can get hosed.

Really glad Kasing is performing well since his addition - he was stuck in Gamers2 ELO hell and deserved better.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Seeing this in the client is kind of fitting

stump collector
May 28, 2007
They should use the throwback white t shirt jerseys for a week and see how they do

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I am glad Draco Malfoy is not winning many games in in the EU LCS

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xeSt11_ZqE

You know that TSM LEgends series? Well, meet the Team Liquid series that deals with (in part) Piglet's issues and the teams issues in general.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
"Why do people demonize Xpecial! He does nothing wrong!"

Literally the first words out of his mouth in the episode is passive aggressively whining about not having Keith and being stuck with Piglet.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I just wanted to give a shout-out to all the goons posting in this thread. I no longer follow LCS that closely, but when I see a series of posts along the lines of

Khaba posted:

What the hell.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Oh myyyy hahahaha

theshim posted:

haha what the poo poo

I know that I need to watch that game (in this case Elements vs Giants). Thank you for being a guide on what I need to watch <3

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 21, 2015

stump collector
May 28, 2007
The first player interaction they have on camera is IWD talking about teams they lost to and Xpecial can't listen to him talk without interrupting him and he just gives up and lets xpecial interject his negative bullshit. Must be wonderful to be on a team with that guy

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

exethan posted:

The first player interaction they have on camera is IWD talking about teams they lost to and Xpecial can't listen to him talk without interrupting him and he just gives up and lets xpecial interject his negative bullshit. Must be wonderful to be on a team with that guy

It's quite easy to imagine how a dominant personality like Regi shouting him down could actually be good for the team environment, since he's clearly not capable of taking up that dominant role himself.

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama
I actually see more defenders of Xpecial shooting down critics more than I do actual critics here so I'm hesitant to even get into it, but aside from admiration from his actual skills in game (He is the best or second best depending on Aphro's play) but what is there to actually like about this guy? Has he ever not been a passive aggressive, negative whiner? I have literally never heard him say something that isn't re-enforcing that but for some reason I am suppose to like him.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Jayisspecial posted:

I actually see more defenders of Xpecial shooting down critics more than I do actual critics here so I'm hesitant to even get into it, but aside from admiration from his actual skills in game (He is the best or second best depending on Aphro's play) but what is there to actually like about this guy? Has he ever not been a passive aggressive, negative whiner? I have literally never heard him say something that isn't re-enforcing that but for some reason I am suppose to like him.

I think he's quite genial when he's winning, like a lot of people, and because he's gentle and not a rager he gets a free ride.

Your contempt for my man Lustboy's skills is also noted.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Just gonna say that until the NA LCS starts I'm gonna be watching Piglet on twitch (He dropped the Liquid title). Right now he's playing Brood War with an apm of 265... while in que.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Yeah, Xpecial seems the type who seems really great when he's not got something to be passive aggressive about. He was also a long-standing member of the one of the most popular teams and an all-star. Especially I think in season 3 TSM where he seemed like the nice, sweet guy in comparison to the rest of the team (Dyrus is Dyrus, Oddone was the funny and quirky, one Regi is driven, Chaox was cocky) and with less stuff coming out his faults were hidden. I think that the sympathy he got for being yelled at by Regi did something too.

In comparison to the typical anger and raging seen in competitive players his passive-aggressiveness slipped under the radar for a while too.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

If you watch back videos of Regi and xpecial knowing what you know now it almost makes sense that Regi forced xpecial either to come out with what he wants and argue for it confrontationally or shut the gently caress up. It would literally be better for his team if xpecial just yelled about what he wanted and then they could get past it.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Is it just me or is it that the teams that have the most fun together are generally doing the best? Especially in the NA LCS where TSM and CLG are just having a party and happen to be at the top of the standings.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Calax posted:

Is it just me or is it that the teams that have the most fun together are generally doing the best? Especially in the NA LCS where TSM and CLG are just having a party and happen to be at the top of the standings.

It's just you. If you look back at some periods of old curse, they had clearly got comfortable living in their mansion and getting drunk and staging parties in their frat house, and they were just living the dream and accepting their middle of the road status. Same for some variations of old Dig.

It's better to be friends, or friendly, so that you work through your differences and communicate with eachother when there are problems. But if you watch TSM's videos from this series, they joke a lot but still argue about stuff when things are going wrong. They just have a better mechanism for working through it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Calax posted:

Winning solves (nearly) all problems.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Calax posted:

This was an argument the casters were making back during C9's monster seasons, and folks in the thread felt it was pretty goofy and reductive at the time.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Jayisspecial posted:

Unlike other players Xpecial is willing to publicly admit there are team problems when the player is still on the team and not say "no everything is great his english is so good" until that player gets tossed and then goes on about language problems and what not.

Maybe he's passive aggressive but he's actually being honest in his Vlogs and interviews which is something that I can appreciate.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Hypocrisy posted:

Unlike other players Xpecial is willing to publicly admit there are team problems when the player is still on the team and not say "no everything is great his english is so good" until that player gets tossed and then goes on about language problems and what not.

Maybe he's passive aggressive but he's actually being honest in his Vlogs and interviews which is something that I can appreciate.

That's also a great way to ruin relationships between yourself and your teammates. You keep that poo poo internal to the team only.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Disinterested posted:

It's just you. If you look back at some periods of old curse, they had clearly got comfortable living in their mansion and getting drunk and staging parties in their frat house, and they were just living the dream and accepting their middle of the road status. Same for some variations of old Dig.

It's better to be friends, or friendly, so that you work through your differences and communicate with eachother when there are problems. But if you watch TSM's videos from this series, they joke a lot but still argue about stuff when things are going wrong. They just have a better mechanism for working through it.

But that's part of the dynamic. They argue without much rancor because they're all on the same side when it comes down to it. If you're on Liquid (as an example) right now, you're dealing with situations where not everyone is on the same side and wants to play together.

Admittedly I think Team Liquid went about getting piglet and building the team in the worst way possible, but ultimately you want everyone to be wanting to play together and having a good time because they'll play better.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Kibner posted:

That's also a great way to ruin relationships between yourself and your teammates. You keep that poo poo internal to the team only.

Why? Take Piglet for example, Xpecial just says something like "I liked playing with Keith because there are no language issues". Passive aggressive? Maybe? But there's no reason for his team mates to get upset over that besides some weird need to pretend like any blatantly obvious issues don't exist.

Maybe I don't see Xpecial does as bad because I still remember the hilarity of Season 3 spring where someone leaked Skype messages of Saintvicious calling his bot lane, especially Elementz, weak. Then Elementz released a 30 minute video where he was super sad and then Saint released a video which was basically "lol no he bad" and then they benched Elementz for Rhux.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 21, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Calax posted:

But that's part of the dynamic. They argue without much rancor because they're all on the same side when it comes down to it. If you're on Liquid (as an example) right now, you're dealing with situations where not everyone is on the same side and wants to play together.

Admittedly I think Team Liquid went about getting piglet and building the team in the worst way possible, but ultimately you want everyone to be wanting to play together and having a good time because they'll play better.

I think this is a little reductive.

Being friends can't make you a success; success doesn't make you friends. The two things are synergistic in both directions, but not necessary.

If you believe what we're hearing from the C9 camp, it sounds like C9 may even have issues now because they're so used to not having to argue in the past, because they have had so much success.

On the other hand, obviously no team can continue if there is negative feeling between players - but that's different from professionalism, which is a sort of neutrality. The unifying element of the team is the desire to win.

To put it another way, there are lots of teams where the players seem friendly and that are successful, but where the individuals don't strike me as likely friends outside of a team environment.

Hypocrisy posted:

Why? Take Piglet for example, Xpecial just says something like "I liked playing with Keith because there are no language issues". Passive aggressive? Maybe? But there's no reason for his team mates to get upset over that besides some weird need to pretend like any blatantly obvious issues don't exist.

Because it's not an issue that should be in public until it is resolved internally. And xpecial doesn't just stop at 'language issues'. You create public pressure to do things if you go out into the media and talk poo poo, that influences the mental state of your team-mates and the decision making process of the team. You should be channelling that inwards, to work out your problems.

Successful teams do not generally consist of players who air the team's dirty laundry in public. A lot of even very good players get cut for doing exactly that.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 21, 2015

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

True, it's a bit reductive but I think that it can't be denied that friendships probably help significantly with team synergy. At the same time you're probably also in a dangerous place if you're to close because if your friend starts getting lax about his play somebody has to be willing to say "Look, dude, we're friends, but you're not the caliber of player we need right now".

I haven't been paying attention to C9's internal issues, I just watch sneaky stream before bed (usually) but I could see where they might be running into issues with Hai (at the very least)

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Disinterested posted:

If you believe what we're hearing from the C9 camp, it sounds like C9 may even have issues now because they're so used to not having to argue in the past, because they have had so much success.

I don't know where the "C9 is the Best Friends Club of LCS" idea is coming from when even in their glory days there were more than a few personality clashes inside the team, most famously between Hai and Meteos. Along the lines of your post, though, they keep a unified front and deal with their poo poo privately. Instead of sperging out on Twitter. I've always liked C9 for that.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Maybe people are confusing professionalism with friendship here. Xpecial is one of the best players and one of the least professional members of a team in LCS today. A lot of the other guys who fit in a similar mold don't have a good place in the scene because they generally get canned as soon as their team finds a good replacement for them.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Friendships are one way to make things work out, yeah, but not the only way. Look at Moscow 5 in their prime - a great team filled with players who weren't really friends.

I think that in the west they are emphasized because teams generally have formed up as solo queue/challenger groups and then later find a sponsor. In a case where its just 5 people and maybe a couple of support staff, a team mostly has to rely on their own chemistry to get along. Since it is definitely true that active strife is bad for a team, its usually much safer to be friends. Otherwise you get cases like Summer CLG where a on-paper roster improvement destroys the team synergy and screws up performance.

However, with good management this isn't needed as much because there are staff there to handle any disputes and keep the team together. Sure, its still nice for the people to be friends but if the staff can keep the players on task and communicating it will give a similar result I think.

Speaking of team synergy, apparently Piglet is partly being benched because he picked Urgot into a scrim because he didn' like the comp and lost Team Liquid an entire day of scrims. Which explains some of it, that's pretty lovely behavior.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I still don't understand why Curse/Liquid booted Cop. He brings everything you want out of a teamfighting ADC on a team that was mostly weighted down by inconsistent play from IWD and Voyboy. And he at least passes the Xpecial test of: 1-(a) speaks English as well as KEITHMCBRIEF.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Friendships are one way to make things work out, yeah, but not the only way. Look at Moscow 5 in their prime - a great team filled with players who weren't really friends.

Reminder that they innovated blue buff solo Urgot plus roaming Alistar, an amazing and unique strategy, because Eddie was sick of Genja's poo poo that day and didn't want to lane with him.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

exethan posted:

Maybe people are confusing professionalism with friendship here. Xpecial is one of the best players and one of the least professional members of a team in LCS today. A lot of the other guys who fit in a similar mold don't have a good place in the scene because they generally get canned as soon as their team finds a good replacement for them.

Why is Xpecial unprofessional?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Hypocrisy posted:

Maybe I don't see Xpecial does as bad because I still remember the hilarity of Season 3 spring where someone leaked Skype messages of Saintvicious calling his bot lane, especially Elementz, weak. Then Elementz released a 30 minute video where he was super sad and then Saint released a video which was basically "lol no he bad" and then they benched Elementz for Rhux.
No, this is more like what Xpecial said: "Keith is great because he understands basic english words like "DONT DIE" and listens to the team unlike our OTHER AD Carry" when he could have just said "Keith was a great substitute for us, he fits in really well with everyone and he was very open to listening to the team" and Xpecial never had to say anything about Piglet to make every single person in the world know there were internal issues before week 1.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Hypocrisy posted:

Because rather than keeping team issues within the team, he goes out and gripes to anyone who'll give him a soap box about how he wants the world to be his way.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

No, this is more like what Xpecial said: "Keith is great because he understands basic english words like "DONT DIE" and listens to the team unlike our OTHER AD Carry" when he could have just said "Keith was a great substitute for us, he fits in really well with everyone and he was very open to listening to the team" and Xpecial never had to say anything about Piglet to make every single person in the world know there were internal issues before week 1.

It's also forgets the fact that Xpecial was influential in picking a player he knew had bad English to play with him.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Firebert posted:

I still don't understand why Curse/Liquid booted Cop. He brings everything you want out of a teamfighting ADC on a team that was mostly weighted down by inconsistent play from IWD and Voyboy. And he at least passes the Xpecial test of: 1-(a) speaks English as well as KEITHMCBRIEF.
Cop left because he didn't like the team environment iirc

Hypocrisy posted:

Have you ever tried to live with someone that's super passive aggressive before? It's not healthy, it's a whole lot more irritating than living with someone who just wants to argue all the time. Above that, it really isn't okay to start talking about your teams internal issues before your starting player even joins the team, complaining about things that aren't really even his fault (The lack of communication is a given, yes. Don't complain about it)

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Hypocrisy posted:

Any time he's in front of a camera he says something stupid that makes his team and himself look bad. He also loves doing vlogs so there are many videos of this.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Disinterested posted:

It's also forgets the fact that Xpecial was influential in picking a player he knew had bad English to play with him.
That excuse hardly hold any ground considering Royal Club had 3 Chinese players, 2 Korean players, and a Korean coach, and none of them were fluent in English which is the language they used for team shotcalling. They finished second place and took a game off a team that looked stronger than SKT did last year. Most of China is filled up with the 3/2 Chinese:Korean balance now, and there are teams like imPulse that have like three different home languages and none of them are complaining about it.

Uzi is also a baby for complaining so much about his team before World's (Threatening to quit?) and then going to one of the few all-chinese teams in LPL after Championships were over because he didn't like sharing the team with Koreans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

That excuse hardly hold any ground considering Royal Club had 3 Chinese players, 2 Korean players, and a Korean coach, and none of them were fluent in English which is the language they used for team shotcalling. They finished second place and took a game off a team that looked stronger than SKT did last year.

That's an exception, not a rule. You can't act like in general language isn't a problem playing a complicated team game because one exceptional team made one exceptional run. That is farcical.

• Locked thread