Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Murmur Twin posted:

I'll ask you the same thing I asked Somber when he pointed that out -

It doesn't necessarily make your case worse, but it reads like an attempt to establish plausible deniability when Somber flips town. "Well, I just said his behavior was anti-town, not necessarily scummy!" That's my issue and I suspect it's the same issue Somber identified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
ernie do you have any coffee cookie recipes

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Somberbrero posted:

Of course your argument is less valid if you're not calling me scum. You keep saying pro-town and anti-town, but the difference there is that those behaviors don't necessarily directly correlate to alignment. Right now I'm sitting out of the thread because I don't feel like engaging or trying to push. Is that behavior anti-town? Yep. Am I town? Yep.

I said "anti-town" because I was talking about Lumpen's voting at the start of the game and whether or not it was helpful, not what his role was. In my mind, they're synonymous enough that that doesn't need to be clarified - but when it was pointed out that you feel they're different:

Murmur Twin posted:

I thought the fact that I was explaining why I thought your behavior was anti-town followed by vote spoke for itself, but in the event that it didn't: I believe that you are scum.

Is there anyone outside of me/Lumpen/Rasc that you're suspicious of? Also, what are your thoughts on Blacknyte?

(For what it's worth I hope you feel like engaging in this game later because I enjoy playing with you! We just seem to have differing opinions this time around, is all)

Antivehicular posted:

It doesn't necessarily make your case worse, but it reads like an attempt to establish plausible deniability when Somber flips town. "Well, I just said his behavior was anti-town, not necessarily scummy!" That's my issue and I suspect it's the same issue Somber identified.

I didn't even consider that! I think it'd be a pretty flimsy rationalization if Somber flipped town and I tried to pretend like I wasn't spending D1 casing him.

Did my followup (the one I'm quoting above) address those concerns at all? Why or why not?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ernie. posted:

I don't understand how Lumpen has read anything into Bowmore or EXAKT.
I'd like to hear this too. Forward posturing by Bowmore is a pretty generic scum tell. Bowmore should be better than that though

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Somberbrero posted:

Well I think Rascyc is full of poo poo and intentionally obfuscating issues. Like the direct antagonism towards you is not helpful behavior and I have no idea how you could construe it as such.
What have I obfuscated? I think I'm quite full of pro. I think I made somebody's top ten list in this game about how pro.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ernie. posted:

I feel like Somber's just not into the game. It's independent of alignment. Yes, everyone else is participating or have had ample time to provide content, but I have a reason to not vote Somber and that's because I want to be nice. You don't have to do it. But if we're going to go down the path of 'not participating is scummy' then I want valid reasons for why EXAKT and Bowmore get a pass.

Somber has the third highest post count in the game currently, I would argue he's participating

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

blacknyte posted:

Thread manipulation:

Taking it personally was already covered:

Paintings Lumpens post as ammo against newbies? What even are you saying here? What is the criticism?

Re-approaching this again:

Thread manipulation can come in several different varieties. The usual d1 is to appear like you are casing everyone and everything, banging every scum tell drum you can find. Merk gets accused of it a lot because he posts aggressively and pressures everyone, often in parallel. It gets perceived as manipulation because people think he has an end game more in the future. e.g., getting 5 people to vote 1 person in such a way that it distances him from the final end product.

In this context Lumpen asked you several questions, and only towards you. I don't even think he cased you. I'd have to go back to read it. Regardless if you think about it, to what ends was Lumpen going for there? Do you really think graduating "newbs" to post dumb things is going to get the rest of us to vote "newbs"? No, we're pretty nice people at the end of the day. We even have Mickey Mouse in the game. At the end of a day, it would be a very inefficient plan to achieve much of anything.

A better look at Lumpen would be, "is this a guy that just posted random garbage to post random garbage", and the answer from my perspective, is no. Although I still really want to hear how he has a town read of Bowmore after that discussion.

Taking it personally is what you are doing when you started off the mid-day with:

blacknyte posted:

Lumpen, if you think I'm some dumb newbie who is going to go away or approach this attack poorly, you've thought wrong. I suggest you up your game. This is a poor showing.
So don't act all high and mighty if you can't take someone else punching you around a bit. I'm not even wearing the boxing gloves, I've given you the lightest touches to get a sense of your play style and motivation. I am pretty sure Lumpen could quite literally tear you apart, because he has quite the reputation of driving people to sheer insanity. He's not doing that here so yeah, another mark in his favor.

As for the painting thing, you are the one who has banged the drum over and over. You can see the bleed off effects in the post above where you start to take it personally. All Lumpen made on the topic was some one line joke about meta that I can recall.

I'll re-read Lumpen again later just to make sure I still am remembering his posts correctly but hopefully this is a more clear and concise response.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
There's a good chance I won't be here later tonight and I am definitely not playing on a Saturday. If thread apathy has taken over like I suspected, and out of Lumpen vs Somber, I am probably voting Somber.

I'm gonna do some afternoon bakings in the mean time!!!!

blacknyte
Oct 13, 2014

Rascyc posted:

A better look at Lumpen would be, "is this a guy that just posted random garbage to post random garbage", and the answer from my perspective, is no.

Ok, let's break this down. The answer is quite clearly: yes.

First, Lumpen is currently voting Somber. This is the entirety of his case:

Lumpen posted:

Really?
##Vote Somberbrero

Lumpen posted:

I think Somber's posting and staked positions have seemed disingenuous and opportunistic. That is the fuller explanation of my "Really?”.

I like Somberbrero and I like playing with him, but I feel he will likely flip Scum in this game.

Next, let's look at some of Lumpen's prods so far in the game:

Lumpen posted:

Was she Scum in Mountain Goats too?

Lumpen posted:

I appreciate the digging effort. Good stuff.

Click on the links for context. Please tell me how this helps us determine anyone's alignment in any way. "Good stuff" with no analysis to put on top of what was found. Nothing to help move the needle for anyone at any point. Nothing at all. Just "Good stuff" in response to someone talking about another game.

Let's focus in on the newbie prods a bit. We will discard mine because any analysis I put out about that will be waved away as emotional like I am somehow unable to make a reasoned analysis of posts put out towards me

Lumpen posted:

Ok, but who do you think is Scum?
##Vote Anidav

Lumpen posted:

Are you dodging the question?

Why would I think you a wildcard? What makes you think I would vote for a "wildcard" rather than someone I suspected of being Scum?

Lumpen posted:

Ok well let me know when you see something to vote about.

If your threshold question involves labeling stuff as garbage, how is this anything other than garbage? Where does this line of posting get us?

I'll ask a better question: What posts of Lumpen's aren't random garbage under your definition? Where is he actually diving in and analyzing content? To me, it just looks like he's stirring the pot without ever tasting the soup to see what's brewing.

blacknyte
Oct 13, 2014

Rascyc posted:

So don't act all high and mighty if you can't take someone else punching you around a bit.

You may have misinterpreted that post. I believe my case on Lumpen is far above his responses to that case. I am acting all high and mighty to the quality of my casework, not some emotional reaction to being 'punched around a bit.'

blacknyte
Oct 13, 2014
tl;dr for the Lumpen stuff:

Lumpen's entire somb case is: "I think Somber's posting and staked positions have seemed disingenuous and opportunistic." No quotes, no analysis, no diving in. Just conclusions.

Lumpen's probing of people resulted in two conclusions of 'cool bro, later.' How is that not random garbage?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'll re-read it later, I promise.

blacknyte
Oct 13, 2014
...and now after writing that up: ##vote Lumpen

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Ernie. posted:

I don't understand how Lumpen has read anything into Bowmore or EXAKT.
It's thin, but here's what I've got. EXAKT is being a non-entity. Hasn't said one single !eaningfuk thing in the entire game, is lurking. That does him down. No overt Scumsign that has rung any bells for me. Gotta fill all the slots though.

Bowmore has also not been making much of any impression. He is famous for being a worthless lurker, though. Also, I hesitate to open this can of worms, but when the mod tacitly endorsed his post and posted the vote count, saying "Agreed", it implies to me that Bowmore's posts were deemed non-tactical and sincere by the mod, which tells me he's likely Town. That the mod appeared unconcerned and unhesitant about chiming in with that post suggests that he knows he's not interacting with a Scum's posturing. I could be mislead in this conclusion, but that floated Bowmore up the Townie ranks for me.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Hello friends. My backyard is a swimming pool and the rain won't stop. Is there anyone worth voting for since my last visit?

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Votecount for Day 1

Lumpen (5): Ernie., Rascyc, blacknyte, Somberbrero, Antivehicular, Rascyc, Somberbrero, Sandwolf, Somberbrero, blacknyte, blacknyte
Somberbrero (4): Rascyc, Rascyc, Lumpen, Anidav, Murmur Twin, Opopanax
Rascyc (1): EXAKT Science, Somberbrero, Somberbrero
Sandwolf (1): Murmur Twin, bowmore, Murmur Twin
blacknyte (1): Lumpen, Lumpen, Rascyc
Antivehicular (0): Rascyc, Rascyc
bowmore (0): Rascyc, Rascyc
Anidav (0): Lumpen, Lumpen
Murmur Twin (0): blacknyte, blacknyte

Not Voting (0):

With 12 alive, it's 7 votes to lynch. The current deadline is February 21st, 2015 at 6:30 p.m. EST -- that's in about 21 hours, 9 minutes.

I would vote Somberbrero, Antivehicular, or EXAKT Science today.

I think this vote is likely to come down to whether Ernie switches. I believe Rascyc will vote Somberbrero to tie it up. I'm not sure where Bowmore might go, but if he went on me I'm fairly positive EXAKT would show up and hammer as quick as he could get away with.
Of these swing votes, I think Rascyc is very likely Town, Ernie probably Town, Bowmore probably Town, and EXAKT very likely Scum.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I feel like people's D1 thoughts are pretty much out there and we're waiting for EXAKT, Bowmore, and Rasc to weigh in?

I'm going out for the weekend in two hours. I think Somber is scum so I'm keeping my vote there, but if people feel really strongly about Lumpen I at least acknowledge that his flip would provide for good analysis later.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
On the plus side if I eat the lynch, I am Vanilla so no power role will be lost, and I've already done plenty of work in this game and generated a good List for future reference. If blacknyte is Town then maybe eating some crow will snap her out of the poobrain.

Ixtlilton's whaling adventure game is about to start, too, so I wouldn't be left gameless.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Still disagree with case on Lumpen after reviewing. Looks like garden variety early game pressuring to me.

##vote Somberbrero

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rascyc posted:

Still disagree with case on Lumpen after reviewing. Looks like garden variety early game pressuring to me.

##vote Somberbrero

I notice you don't actually mention somber, just call Lumpen town here. Looking at your history I'm not seeing a case from you on somber at all, and in fact you say he's town a few times.
This right here is what we in the biz call a suspicious vote

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Opopanax posted:

I notice you don't actually mention somber, just call Lumpen town here. Looking at your history I'm not seeing a case from you on somber at all, and in fact you say he's town a few times.
This right here is what we in the biz call a suspicious vote
Yeah I'm not a fan of both vote leaders but I think thread is in apathy stages so whatcha gonna do? I'll keep Lumpen around over Somber because Lumpen I can grok, Somber is going all over the place in this game for some reason and isn't answering questions on grounds of "I'm disinterested in the game" despite posting over and over.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Alternatively I am keeping Lumpen around to be a magnet for a hot bed of activity while I continue to subvert the threat for my own nefarious deeds. STAY TUNED TO DAY 2 FOR ANOTHER EPISODE OF ~THE DAYS OF OUR RASCYC~

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Yeah sorry I've been absent the past little while, life's been kind of hectic.
Anyway, I was initially feeling Lumpy was scum, but I've cooled on that for the time being. I agree with Opop that Rascyc's Somber vote looks very suspicious.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Why did you cool? Cooling implies you have read the thread. It feels more like you just hit last page and posted. I said last night I was probably going to vote Somber, why wasn't that suspicious then?

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Rascyc posted:

Why did you cool? Cooling implies you have read the thread. It feels more like you just hit last page and posted. I said last night I was probably going to vote Somber, why wasn't that suspicious then?

I think I missed at least a page of the thread. Hold on, let me reread.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
wtf lol

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I feel like an idiot trying to battle thread apathy but I'll try:

EXACT just literally opened thread, hit last page, looked at the current topic and thought it was a hot topic and just echo'ed it without thinking. He probably doesn't even know where his vote currently is, or what the game even looks like. He knows Lumpen and Somber are probably a topic based on the context of two posts between Opop/Somber, and just hand waved a random post to make. It is the definition of a post containing a completely fictional read from his perspective.

Upon getting called out for it, he realizes he should probably have read the thread before actually posting.

##vote EXACT

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
mafa edit: between Opop/myself

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
okay Rascyc I'm an idiot, not scum. You understand there's a difference right?

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
I just like to watch, you guys.

Upon rereading, my most likely candidates for scum are you, AV, and Sandwolf. I don't like the way Sandwolf backs off of AV here:

Sandwolf posted:

##vote Lumpen

I think AntiV's response was surprisingly eloquent and I don't think she's scummy anymore.

I also don't like the way that you, Ras, screw up AV's pronoun, even though you've been in games with her before. Intentionally screwing up pronouns so that you can have a pleasant, while content-free, interaction in thread is a gambit I've seen scum pull more than once.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

EXAKT Science posted:

I also don't like the way that you, Ras, screw up AV's pronoun, even though you've been in games with her before. Intentionally screwing up pronouns so that you can have a pleasant, while content-free, interaction in thread is a gambit I've seen scum pull more than once.
:psyduck:

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Oh good you are still here. What exactly is :psyduck:-worthy about this point?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Actually I'm not here. That point is too strong for me to even defend myself against, so I am going to make myself scarce! LATES

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Rascyc posted:

Actually I'm not here. That point is too strong for me to even defend myself against, so I am going to make myself scarce! LATES

Oh my god are you serious. I'm here and willing to engage, and you made a weak case/bad vote on me because I copped to not really paying much attention to the thread for the past day or so.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Seriously what are you getting so snippy about?

Is anyone else here? I want to chat.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
I'm here. Will you make a LumpenList? Then we have something to talk about.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Lumpen posted:

I'm here. Will you make a LumpenList? Then we have something to talk about.

Bah do I have to? I don't like LumpenLists because they generally require that I townread people, which I dislike doing on principle.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

EXAKT Science posted:

Bah do I have to? I don't like LumpenLists because they generally require that I townread people, which I dislike doing on principle.
Half a List is fine, just list all the players that you consider suspicious, in order, and say three people you would be willing to vote for today.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Alright here goes. In order of least to most scummy:

Town
EXAKT Science

Town to Null
blacknyte
Ernie
Anidav
Lumpen

Null to Scum
Opopanax
Murmur Twin
Somber
bowmore

Scum
Sandwolf
Antivehicular
Rascyc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Of the two vote leaders I'd be more willing to vote Somber than Lumpen, but I'd rather go for someone in my bottom 3.

• Locked thread