Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
im a wizard and i do that poo poo with my hands all the fuckin time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Dr. Honked posted:

oh and "jace" is short for "johnny 5 ace" it's a blatant rip off

well jace is insufferably smug basically all the goddamn time so

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

vOv posted:

yeah 'dude in robe making something float with his hands' is like the most generic wizard pose
no it isnt

this is

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

no it isnt

this is

my kind of wizard

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

wizard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib2Vl7JEjfc

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FMguru posted:

no it isnt

this is

def vanworthy

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

FMguru posted:

no it isnt

this is

lole

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

indigi posted:

also Karples took out hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans to his other companies and he draws a salary as a consultant to the Japanese bankruptcy investigation

This part baffles me, is it standard for people who may have been complicit in massive fraud or at least massive negligence to be given a position to consult on the case and paid very well for it?

Like, wow, you'd think it would be a problem

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

This part baffles me, is it standard for people who may have been complicit in massive fraud or at least massive negligence to be given a position to consult on the case and paid very well for it?

Like, wow, you'd think it would be a problem

it is common for bankrupt estates to hire former employees, even incompetent ones because they know where the poo poo is

it is less common to hire employees the estate should know it should be suing

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

1. Pump
2. Dump
3. Ehhh, pump some more? why the heck not

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

quadpus posted:

1. Pump
2. Dump
3. Ehhh, pump some more? why the heck not

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

FMguru posted:

no it isnt

this is

isn't that elminster or something? i have hazy memories of a super-wizard universe-hopping on the regular to the author's kitchen to eat all his butter pecan ice cream

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Edminster posted:

isn't that elminster or something? i have hazy memories of a super-wizard universe-hopping on the regular to the author's kitchen to eat all his butter pecan ice cream

i always assumed it was an image commissioned for this book, since it matches what happens in the story.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

is paycoin the one where they said they'd buy the coins for $20 but then didn't? i lose track of all the different scams

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Qwertycoatl posted:

is paycoin the one where they said they'd buy the coins for $20 but then didn't?

ya. the one run by serial business failure and/or scammer josh garza.

shadok fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 21, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Edminster posted:

the author or whatever realizes that he's such a loser that even his fictional characters raid his kitchen? i bet he also writes about wizards banging his wife girlfriend anime body pillow

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Dr. Honked posted:

im a wizard and i do that poo poo with my hands all the fuckin time

By the hoary hosts of haggar, I've been honked

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
did someone say wizards, cause i've got a whoppe of a story then

What Is Value, Anyway?
Goblin Banker: So, young Master Potter, I understand that these last few days have been a bit trying for you, but on the upside, you’re filthy stinking rich.

Harry Potter: I’m still having trouble wrapping my head around piles and piles of gold coins in a vault guarded by a dragon. What did you call them again?

Goblin Banker: Galleons.

Harry Potter: And weren’t there Sickles and Knuts, too?

Goblin Banker: Meaningless complications for the moment, sir. Let’s just focus on your galleons.

Harry Potter: What is a galleon worth, anyway?

Goblin Banker: What is anything worth, young Master Potter? An apple or a dragon’s egg or the limb of an ancient yew severed in a lightning strike? All things are worth what someone will happily trade you for them.

Harry Potter: I’m having trouble thinking that gold is really like an apple. Surely it is worth much more, right?

Goblin Banker: I suppose that depends. If you’re starving, an apple will save your life and gold won’t. But we aren’t talking about gold, we’re talking about galleons.

Harry Potter: Galleons are gold, right?

Goblin Banker: Galleons are a currency, Master Potter. They happen to have a bit of gold in them, to be true, but the real magic of them — a strikingly ordinary kind of magic — is that the inhabitants of Wizarding Britain want to have them and, accordingly, you can trade for almost anything if you have enough galleons. And, as we’ve established, you have enough galleons.

Harry Potter: Carrying that mountain of gold around is going to be trouble. I need to go buy supplies fbwhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

karpeles should hide in the embassy with assange and be an irl version of asylum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xKHAIImY68

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

QuarkJets posted:

the author or whatever realizes that he's such a loser that even his fictional characters raid his kitchen? i bet he also writes about wizards banging his wife girlfriend anime body pillow

yeah i looked it up and it was in fact a regular column in Dragon magazine where three different master wizards or w/e from different universes would pop in to the author's house, steal his alcohol and junk food, then fart out a couple of spells for PLAYERS LIKE YOU to have in your d&d game

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

it isn't really a very rare picture style

though since the satoshi image is for a card game it is somewhat likely to be ripped off from mtg

same but

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Edminster posted:

yeah i looked it up and it was in fact a regular column in Dragon magazine where three different master wizards or w/e from different universes would pop in to the author's house, steal his alcohol and junk food, then fart out a couple of spells for PLAYERS LIKE YOU to have in your d&d game

this is basically how the old testament was written

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

duTrieux. posted:

this is basically how the old testament was written

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Edminster posted:

quote:

"The Wizards Three," a series of short fiction pieces in Dragon, also featured Elminster as a character, holding meetings with other wizards from other Dungeons & Dragons settings. The metafictional conceit central to the series was that, unbeknownst to the other wizards, the meetings were being held in the home of real world author Ed Greenwood. Greenwood himself was included in the story as a character, sequestered in some hidden location in order to eavesdrop and take the notes from which the story was supposedly written later.

christ

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
morale of the story is wizards are super powerful and super dumb

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

morale of the story is wizards are super powerful and super dumb

space station 13 wizards

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

is paycoin the one where they said they'd buy the coins for $20 but then didn't? i lose track of all the different scams

yes.

also, bitcoin blog coinfire was doing a good job of exposing just how lovely the whole thing was.
so paycoin ceo josh bought/convinced the registrar to give the domain name to him so shut them down.
he also leveraged the domain into hacking their twitter and facebook accounts.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

yes.

also, bitcoin blog coinfire was doing a good job of exposing just how lovely the whole thing was.
so paycoin ceo josh bought/convinced the registrar to give the domain name to him so shut them down.
he also leveraged the domain into hacking their twitter and facebook accounts.

i don't know why the coiners are down on him then, he's basically doing everything they aspire to do

MGN001
May 12, 2012

You just answered your own question. He's doing it, and not them.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

vOv posted:

christ

That's too bad, from the description I thought it would be more joke-y about this guy having to deal with all these loving wizards crashing at his place, drinking his beer and farting and taking control of the TV to watch friends, and this poor guy having to deal with t because whatchya gonna do say no to a wizard, like he got himself listed as a interplanar wizard truck stop somehow and now thems the breaks but hey at least he can pass on nifty spell ideas and mechanics to readers

That summary just makes it sound like terrible author insert fanfiction

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

That's too bad, from the description I thought it would be more joke-y about this guy having to deal with all these loving wizards crashing at his place, drinking his beer and farting and taking control of the TV to watch friends, and this poor guy having to deal with t because whatchya gonna do say no to a wizard, like he got himself listed as a interplanar wizard truck stop somehow and now thems the breaks but hey at least he can pass on nifty spell ideas and mechanics to readers

That summary just makes it sound like terrible author insert fanfiction

Gandalf's Crosstime Saloon

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

duTrieux. posted:

Gandalf's Crosstime Saloon

i completely forgot about those books. i remember liking them when i was younger but i don't know if that's because they were legitimately good or if i just had poo poo taste

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I would read a series of articles about a regular guy who keeps getting harassed by wizards

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Gangstalked by wizards. One man's harrowing account.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

vOv posted:

i completely forgot about those books. i remember liking them when i was younger but i don't know if that's because they were legitimately good or if i just had poo poo taste

do you want to know the answer? I had to read a bunch of them recently for reasons.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

AlbieQuirky posted:

do you want to know the answer? I had to read a bunch of them recently for reasons.

yeah sure. wouldnt be the first time i found out something i liked was actually terrible (hello star wars novels)

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The wizard departed in a puff of strawberry-colored smoke, cape fluttering in the dimensional eddies as realities folded in on themselves.

Left behind in the parking lot, the young man remained for a long time, emotions coursing through him like a live wire. He had learned much from the crotchety old man. Now it was time to put it into practice. But what would he call the project? Sorcery Incorporated? Spells'R'US?

Then it came to him. "Gathering... Magic... Magic the Gathering Online Exchange?" He liked it.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
they are pretty terrible. most of the interesting stuff is an "homage" to golden age science fiction, particularly l. sprague decamp and e.e. smith.

on the other hand, robinson is a not-terrible writer, though he had the tendency to reuse formulaic phrases in these, which becomes apparent when you read them one after the other

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elminster casts Goldbug, you are now a libertarian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

• Locked thread