Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Maxmaps posted:

I braced myself for the worst considering the current climate and nothing has happened so far, so consider me really happy.

Flowerchild posted:

Hey! I resemble that remark!

In all honesty, I have no objection to the female Kerbals anymore. My original stance against them was based almost solely on a perceived waste of development time, but the more I thought about it, the more inclined I became to believe that if it made little girls feel better about themselves, and increased the chances they'd be interested in space exploration and other scientific fields, then it was entirely cool by me.

At a theoretical level I wish we lived in a world where this stuff didn't matter and Kerbals being androgynous would allow either gender to identify with them equally, but we obviously don't live in that world, so at a practical level I consider this to be a good thing.

I still do hope that Squad hasn't stepped into a big old pile of gender conflict with this which winds up causing more trouble down the road, but now that it's done, nothing really to do there but keep our fingers crossed.

Don't suppose you can expect more than this.

tater posted:

Looks fine. My daughter (11) thinks she's awesome.

And this is why the game needed female kerbals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Kea posted:

Right I need some help, I'm trying to explain why going into orbit with kerbin is more efficient with a 45 degree burn past 10km but my friend insists a straight 90 degree burn is better because "gravity drops off pretty quickly", I'm pretty sure I am right but not how to prove it?

Also a lot of this in relation to gettign to the mun, he claims his way is far better for making it to the moon safely despite the significantly higher margin for error and way shorter launch window.
It's nowhere near as simple as that. You're closer than your friend is to a generally correct solution*, but optimal ascent profile depends on a particular rocket's mass, coefficient of drag, specific impulse, thrust-weight ratio, and propellant mass fraction. Taking those factors into account, you have to figure out how to minimize dV loss to gravity, drag, and steering. Depending on your particular rocket, you'll usually want to start a gravity turn somewhere between 6000m and 20000m, keep your heading within a few degrees of your prograde vector, and velocity to no higher than terminal velocity throughout the flight.

There's a long thread on the KSP forums about trajectory optimization. Hope you like calculus.
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/46194-I-need-someone-help-me-do-some-math-for-launch-optimization/page1

Back in the 0.21.1 days, there was a challenge to take a simple rocket to a 74km orbit and maximize the amount of fuel left over. Here's the thread on that. Challenge your friend and see who does better.
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/39196-Launch-Efficiency-Exercise-Updated-for-0-21-1

edit:
* - your friend would be right in the case of a rocket with an arbitrarily large TWR, but you'd have to turn higher than 10km, probably more like 30km

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 22, 2015

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Iridium posted:

edit- replacing my screenshot with Squad's official better quality, larger one.

Excellent job Squad, she looks exactly, and I mean EXACTLY, like what I imagined female Kerbals would look like.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I've completely lost track of KSP for a while; from the wiki it looks like the last update was december? Given that squad seems to release updates every 2-3ish months, give or take, are we getting closer to a new release or is it still a way off?

double nine fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 22, 2015

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
0.90 is supposed to be a longer release cycle than previous updates.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
How do i use crash logs to determine which mod has hosed me up and caused crashing during game load?

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Yeah, isn't the next update 1.0? So I can see them wanting to take extra time to make sure everything is ready to go out of beta.

...holy cow, the game I've gotten the most enjoyment from during the past four years is still prerelease.

Current lightyear mission status: just passed 400 billion km. 0.042 ly

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
The old rule of "if it looks right, it flies right" really holds true in this game.

This is my go-to design for a simple, practical SSTO for getting crews to my space stations and impractically huge interplanetary spacecraft, and it has yet to explode spectacularly.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I'm still not sure about the upsides and downsides of RAPIERS vs aerospike, I havent yet made a successful SSTO.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 22, 2015

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Kea posted:

Right I need some help, I'm trying to explain why going into orbit with kerbin is more efficient with a 45 degree burn past 10km but my friend insists a straight 90 degree burn is better because "gravity drops off pretty quickly", I'm pretty sure I am right but not how to prove it?

Also a lot of this in relation to gettign to the mun, he claims his way is far better for making it to the moon safely despite the significantly higher margin for error and way shorter launch window.

Keep in mind that making orbit is about going sideways, not upwards. You'll want to go as little upwards as possible, the only reason you even need to go something resembling straight up when launching from Kerbin is because of the atmosphere. The atmospheric makes it hard to get sufficient horizontal velocity early so you need to get out of the lowest part of that. However that will change from the next version when the aerodynamic model is replaced, and you should be able to follow a trajectory much more like that of real rockets. Real rockets begin their turn almost immediately, and they can do that because they're long, thin sticks which have quite little drag, so they can afford to spend more fuel going sideways earlier.

tl;dr:
Fuel spent going up is wasted to gravity and drag
Fuel spent going sideways helps you make orbit

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

alternatively demonstrate it. Let him build a rocket that can get into 80km orbit, once it is into orbit, burn until it runs out of fuel and make a note of the apoapsis. Then you fly that same rocket, once in orbit burn until empty. You will have the farther apoapsis.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Or consider getting into Munar orbit after you land there. Would you still burn straight up and then make a 90 degree turn?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Even if gravity "falls off that quickly" (it doesn't, really), fighting less gravity is still worse than turning early and not having to fight gravity at all.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

massive spider posted:

I'm still not sure about the upsides and downsides of RAPIERS vs aerospike, I havent yet made a successful SSTO.
In terms of efficiency (aka specific impulse or ISP):
Aerospikes are pretty good regardless of atmosphere or vacuum. Most rocket engines get worse the more atmosphere they have to fight against, but aerospikes don't--they're equally efficient at all altitudes (390s of ISP).

RAPIERs can have two modes: rocket and jet. As a rocket, it's got reasonable efficiency but nothing to write home about (320s in atmo, 360s in vacuum).
As a jet, it requires access to oxygen (which means air intakes operating in Kerbin or Laythe's atmosphere) but gets INSANELY GREAT efficiency (2500s). That's more than six times as efficient as aerospikes.

RAPIERs are way way way more efficient than aerospikes while the craft is in atmosphere, and somewhat less efficient while the craft is in space. SSTOs that make use of RAPIERs usually try to gain as much horizontal speed as possible while in atmosphere, then finish off the orbit with the engine in rocket mode. To facilitate this, they often use tons and tons of air intakes to make the jet engine operate at unrealistically high altitudes.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm doing a new install for kerbal, with a brand new selection of mods.

1. is there a modmanager yet that will keep tab of updates?
2. is active texture management still necessary?

3. is the x64 stable yet?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

double nine posted:

I'm doing a new install for kerbal, with a brand new selection of mods.

1. is there a modmanager yet that will keep tab of updates?
2. is active texture management still necessary?

3. is the x64 stable yet?

1. CKAN is a mod repository that automatically installs mods (including their dependencies) and can automatically check for and apply updates as well. it's not perfect and sometimes leaves out some file or another, but overall it's pretty great
2. Active Texture Management has been largely replaced by using a DDS converter utility and DDSLoader to optimize textures yourself, since it saves time and maybe has slightly better results compared to ACT doing it on-the-fly every time

3. Nope. It's so bad Squad is dropping it, in fact

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

1. Yes, it's called CKAN.
2. Yes.
3. On Linux, yes. On Windows, it's even worse.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is the astronomer visual pack the best graphical facelift mod currently? I'm a bit concerned that its title still states .25 rather than .9

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

In the past two days I've had my two most challenging experiences with RSS so far: Landing on the Moon and doing a flyby of Mars (ran out of power :argh:)
Makes you appreciate how hard real rocket science is.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

double nine posted:

Is the astronomer visual pack the best graphical facelift mod currently? I'm a bit concerned that its title still states .25 rather than .9

I installed Astronomers pack and all my mun rocks and Duna rocks disappeared, so ymmv.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

massive spider posted:

I'm going to assume you're comparing rapiers to jets + aerospikes.

I don't rate aerospikes because by the time you have to turn off your jets and use the rocket engines, the benefit of the aerospikes is wasted (good atmo isp). So I prefer other liquid engines.

So now we compare rapiers with jets + rocket engines in general. Turbo jets are more efficient jet engines than rapiers are, and the rocket motor will be a more efficient rocket engine than the rapier in rocket mode. However, jets + rocket engines requires twice as many engines which weighs more. So really, when choosing your solution, the total mass of your aircraft in proportion to how many engines it needs to move matters. rapiers are also much easier to work with if you're new to SSTOs.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Splode posted:

I'm going to assume you're comparing rapiers to jets + aerospikes.

I don't rate aerospikes because by the time you have to turn off your jets and use the rocket engines, the benefit of the aerospikes is wasted (good atmo isp). So I prefer other liquid engines.

So now we compare rapiers with jets + rocket engines in general. Turbo jets are more efficient jet engines than rapiers are, and the rocket motor will be a more efficient rocket engine than the rapier in rocket mode. However, jets + rocket engines requires twice as many engines which weighs more. So really, when choosing your solution, the total mass of your aircraft in proportion to how many engines it needs to move matters. rapiers are also much easier to work with if you're new to SSTOs.

Turbojets have a bit more thrust than rapiers but really air breathing fuel usage is so tiny that it doesn't matter what the fuel consumption of an air breathing engine is for an SSTO.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Does anyone have that really long image of aerodynamics and plane design and can it subsequently be put in the OP

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

oddium posted:

Does anyone have that really long image of aerodynamics and plane design and can it subsequently be put in the OP

this?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/52080-Basic-Aircraft-Design-Explained-Simply-With-Pictures

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tractor fanatic posted:

Turbojets have a bit more thrust than rapiers but really air breathing fuel usage is so tiny that it doesn't matter what the fuel consumption of an air breathing engine is for an SSTO.

The real drawback of the R.A.P.I.E.R. isn’t that it’s heavier and less powerful, it’s that its thrust falls off at a lower airspeed, requiring you to make up an extra 200 m⁄s with rocket fuel.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

The real drawback of the R.A.P.I.E.R. isn’t that it’s heavier and less powerful, it’s that its thrust falls off at a lower airspeed, requiring you to make up an extra 200 m⁄s with rocket fuel.

Huh, I didn't know that. I think in FAR the rapier has more thrust at high speeds.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so I'm cruising around kerbal to see if my graphical mods are working correctly, and I came across this. Is the kerbal arctic supposed to look like that?

(completely flat terrain, obvious repeating textures, nothing in terms of visual features).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yep. To be fair, that's also what Earth's polar caps look like in real life.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yeah its pretty flat. Nice clouds/aurorae you have in there too.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

to be honest it's the obviously repeating textures that threw me off. Good to know that it's nothing on my end.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Psawhn posted:

Every second you're burning directly away from a planet is wasting fuel. The way I think about it is that thrusting straight up at exactly 1.00 TWR just hovers you in place, which is obviously a 100% waste of fuel. Thus, if you thrust straight up at 2.00 TWR, that's a 50% waste of fuel, and so on. It's most efficient to always and only burn prograde or retrograde at periapsis or apoapsis, and you should only do otherwise for little concessions like "getting clear of the atmosphere" or "clearing those Mun mountains and not crashing" or "making rendezvous with the rescue ship."

Plus, SOIs are defined such that it's the point at which gravity is equal for the two bodies. So, you have to go all the way out past Minmus for the gravity exerted by Kerbin to be lessened enough that the sun's gravity is 50% of the force being exerted. Other than that, gravity doesn't really drop off that fast. In low Kerbin orbit, gravity is pretty much just as strong as it is on the surface, so you're probably not going fast enough for gravity drop-off to be a major factor. (I'm pretty sure you can use the Gravioli Detector in-game to "experimentally" prove this, too, as it directly measures the strength of gravity at that altitude.)

It takes really small bodies -- and I'm talking Gilly sized -- for a direct ascent to be not much less efficient than proper orbital maneuvers.

Speeds in m/s are deceptively fast compared to common real-life measures. 200-250 m/s is actually about Mach 0.7-0.8 or so, or 720-900 kph. If you're landing at 120 m/s, you're really landing at ~430 kph (~270 mph). Like Supraluminal said, open up the FAR window in flight. It'll tell you your Mach speed and tell you if there's high dynamic pressure or high AoAs or stalling. There's also a button to change the navball speed to be something more intuitive than m/s.

As for "make it look more plane," Yeah, just general sillhouette is good enough, as it's the size/placement of wings that have the biggest affect. None of your planes are a conventional design, though -- by which I mean main wing near COG, tailplane at the back, and an optional canard at the front. So, for example, more like a WW2 fighter or modern commercial plane. Big delta wings like the French Mirage or the Space Shuttle actually have stability drawbacks.

Like Splode said, right-click on a control surface to change its options. You can disable unwanted pitch/yaw/roll inputs so ailerons only roll and rudders only yaw. You can also set up dedicated control surfaces as flaps and spoilers.

Spoilers are really just airbrakes. Set them up on the fuselage so they pop out when deployed. If you're using vertical spoilers as airbrakes and they're both popping out in the same direction (giving you bad yaw problems), try rotating them ever so slightly, 5 degrees or less, such that there's an "up" side and KSP won't be confused. I've found that vertical airbrakes need a really high setting for "Flap/Spoiler Deflect" - you can go up past 40 or 50 degrees with those. You can also put spoilers on the main wings, but be sure to balance them out with either other spoilers set to negative deflection or flaps so it doesn't make you pitch up uncontrollably.

Flaps will also let you land at lower speeds by lowering the speed at which you stall, but they add a little extra drag, too. Put them on the trailing edges of your main wings. However, the extra lift they generate usually causes a downward pitching moment which has to be corrected for by extra up-elevator or up-canard, so you can't really put flaps on a pure delta wing like your second craft. If you stick a flap on the front of your main wing it becomes a leading-edge slat, which also does good things for trying to fly at low speeds when deployed.

Finally, if you don't have the spaceplane hangar upgraded enough to let you edit custom action groups on the number keys, you can still set up the controls for flaps/spoilers in FAR settings from the main space center screen.

Thanks, I spent a some time redesigning and messing with flaps/spoilers. Its a bit better but still a frustrating mess imo and I'm hoping that Squad finds a good balance between forgiving and realistic so I can ditch FAR. Its not a big deal for rocket launches but its made flying planes substantially less enjoyable for me. Maybe when I have some more time available I'll be more inclined to tackle the learning curve but I think I'm gonna stick to good old reliable rocketry for the time being. I do appreciate your post though!

double nine posted:

I had a bunch of problems with it and removed it. I use the Renaissance Pack which does use some assets from AVP but runs on my install much better for whatever reason. It has some feature dependencies that use technically outdated mods (Real Solar System is one iirc) but the only problem I have is a warning window that I have to close right at start up. Otherwise, it looks fantastic and adds a shitload of cool textures to everything. Bob has a beard now, its dope.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Yes thank you safe flights godspeed

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

My Bob has a 'stache.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Looks like someone is continuing work on some Orion parts for Nyrath's plugin, and there's been some activity in that thread. Good to see, I love nuclear pulse propulsion.

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/586/TD%20Industry%27s%20Orion%20bits%2010m
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/28428-Orion-aka-Ol-Boom-boom/page113

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

fart simpson posted:

Or consider getting into Munar orbit after you land there. Would you still burn straight up and then make a 90 degree turn?

This is what mechjeb does on the Mun if you leave it set to kerbin ascent settings. (Why doesn't it have separate ascent profiles yet)

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Who needs a torch drive anyway.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Man, I wish that the subassembly stuff let you save things with root parts: Trying to build a balanced unmanned rover at the moment, and having to rebuild most of it from various subassemblies around a new drone pod is painful.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rohaq posted:

Man, I wish that the subassembly stuff let you save things with root parts: Trying to build a balanced unmanned rover at the moment, and having to rebuild most of it from various subassemblies around a new drone pod is painful.

Can't you set some useless appendage part as root and then save the whole rover?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, the ability to reassign the root part in .90 pretty much solves this problem. The reason you can't have a subassembly with the root part in it is that the editor would have no way to know how to attach the thing to another rocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
The worst part of all this? Someone's going to have to ping the OP to change the title when 1.0 comes out to 50% Fratricide, 50% Sorocide.