Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

All the Infinity nerds are going to have an orgasm for it.

Can confirm, would like that for my objective consoles and random advertisement signs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Indeed, 40K terminals with all kinds of crazy gothic poo poo on them would also be fantastic!

Thanks for the suggesions on the 3D model everybody.

I think I'm going to drop the whole two barrel thing, got a bit sidetracked there.

The model is going to be terminator sized and use terminator rules, but it's supposed to represent a space marine that's closer to what's in the fluff. So it doesn't really make sense to model it as anything else than a heftier bolter.

Hollismason posted:

Has anyone ever dealt with or painted with "holographic" paint , it's the kind that gives the prismatic rainbow colours that you'd see one some cars and vehicles. I ask because I found a company that sells a pearlescent coat that supposedly works, but am really apprehensive.

This is kind of the effect I'm going for.

Look for iridescent or opalescent paint. I've seen it for 28mm models before, but Google is failing me.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Bistromatic posted:

I haven't had much time to work on my UCM lately but i might get some prototypes for light dropship clamps done today.

I also had some ideas for scratchbuilt shaltari rolling around in the back of my head. I might never get around to building them but i made a test piece for the teleport gates today.
It's six layers of 0.5mm acrylic with various test patterns engraved and lit from the side by a tiny LED. It does have more depth irl than shows up in in the photo.

I hate you so bad.

And by that I mean you are awesome and I want to see detailed descriptions about how you did that. How did you do the engraving? :allears:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I've come to that point where I'm not sure what to do next on these guys. I have a paint picked out to highlight with but I need something to break up the monotony otherwise. I don't feel like coloring their hip packs and stuff with brown this time, I'd like to keep it colorful.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Doctor Zero posted:

I hate you so bad.

And by that I mean you are awesome and I want to see detailed descriptions about how you did that. How did you do the engraving? :allears:

A lasercutter, I assume. That's a fantastic low effort way to make a lot of awesome terrain.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bistromatic posted:

I haven't had much time to work on my UCM lately but i might get some prototypes for light dropship clamps done today.

I also had some ideas for scratchbuilt shaltari rolling around in the back of my head. I might never get around to building them but i made a test piece for the teleport gates today.
It's six layers of 0.5mm acrylic with various test patterns engraved and lit from the side by a tiny LED. It does have more depth irl than shows up in in the photo.

Heyyyyyy buddy, we should work together, you and me. :getin:

Bad Munki posted:

Crossposting because I bet you guys will be interested in this. You might remember my light-up standing stones from a while back.

And then transparent bones appeared and I did this:

Well, I've been continuing with the idea and trying to improve it. For instance, batteries suck, and switches are dumb. With that in mind...

Here's a little disk with an LED on it:

and if I move it on to the X...

No batteries, no switches, no bulk. Will fit perfectly inside a round base with the LED poking out the top. The power pad that makes it light up will be similarly thin and will fit nicely under, say, a battle mat.

When I ordered the boards, I accidentally made the vias in the middle too small for the LED leads, and there wasn't enough play to drill it out, so I just soldered the LED on top, which is why it's standing so far off. The final product will have the LED sitting much lower, basically the thickness of a base off the board, so it'll sit flush on the surface of the base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbIWDnGJ9_s

Anyhow, you get the idea.

Now that I have a giant bag of bases from the Bones II kickstarter, I'm continuing with this. First order of business will be switching to a tiny smd led that should barely protrude above the surface of the base, if at all.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

HardCoil posted:

I've been working on an overcomplicated, yet cunning plan to make true-scale Grey Knights.
For this I'm going to 3D print and cast Storm Bolters and backpacks.
Here's the Storm Bolter and a scale comparison with a normal bolter:

Any suggestions or comments before I send this off the the printers?

Needs to be twice as large as it is now so it looks ultra retarded like the new Grey Knights plastics. If it ain't twice as big as is practical then it's not heroic. :dukedog:

signalnoise posted:

I've come to that point where I'm not sure what to do next on these guys. I have a paint picked out to highlight with but I need something to break up the monotony otherwise. I don't feel like coloring their hip packs and stuff with brown this time, I'd like to keep it colorful.

First off, the weapons look great. As far as a second color that keeps things colorful, a blue or bright orange might work. Less boring than brown satchels would be a shade of grey or grey-blue.

Overall, that big guy in the middle looks more complete because it looks like you applied wash between the armor plates. Definitely repeat that on the other guys if you weren't planning on it, as of now they look like:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, that armour needs a tonne more detail to avoid the greenscreen-suit-guy look. The wash is a start, but it needs a lot of little details filling in. Eyes, facemasks, grilles, that sort of thing. Otherwise it looks like you're trying to use chroma key to make the weapons hover.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

HardCoil posted:

Indeed, 40K terminals with all kinds of crazy gothic poo poo on them would also be fantastic!

Thanks for the suggesions on the 3D model everybody.

I think I'm going to drop the whole two barrel thing, got a bit sidetracked there.

The model is going to be terminator sized and use terminator rules, but it's supposed to represent a space marine that's closer to what's in the fluff. So it doesn't really make sense to model it as anything else than a heftier bolter.

Look for iridescent or opalescent paint. I've seen it for 28mm models before, but Google is failing me.

Yeah I looked for that as well, I'm going to test out a few brands I found. They just don't to me give the effect I want, however I did find some interesting stuff called Prism Foil , that you can purchase, I'm wondering if I can possibly cut to suit but that seems incredibly complicated on anything with any detail.

Does anyone know if it is possible to reduce flake size in metallic paints through any kind of chemical or mechanical process?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

signalnoise posted:

Pin wash it.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Does anyone have recommendations for stripping X-wing ships? I have a Lambda and a Slave 1 that I soaked for 3 days in simple green and scrubbed with a toothbrush; it didn't take anything but a little of the wash off. Any idea what else is safe for this specific plastic?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I would guess that they've probably been painted with enamels, if not had colour added diirectly into the plastic. That poo poo's not coming off; I had the same experience with WotC's D&D miniatures.

I'm pretty sure most people who paint X-Wing minis, paint over the stock paint job.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Any tips for getting a 18mm bronze cannon to pop more? I area highlighted it with the base bronze colour (VGC Bright Bronze) after washing it with Agrax, and it looks neat already, but I'm thinking of adding some gold edge highlights. I'm worried that the gold will be too yellow compared to the reddish hue of the bronze, that it won't look natural.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Throbbing blob posted:

Any tips for getting a 18mm bronze cannon to pop more? I area highlighted it with the base bronze colour (VGC Bright Bronze) after washing it with Agrax, and it looks neat already, but I'm thinking of adding some gold edge highlights. I'm worried that the gold will be too yellow compared to the reddish hue of the bronze, that it won't look natural.

Add some verdigris to it by watering down some turquoise paint and putting it into some crevices .

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Big Willy Style posted:

Add some verdigris to it by watering down some turquoise paint and putting it into some crevices .

I'm trying to make it pop more, not less! :v:

Seriously though, I'm going for a parade ground look. I haven't weathered their uniforms or equipment, as I'm trying to make it as bright and pristine as possible.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Throbbing blob posted:

Use silver to highlight gold/bronze.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Throbbing blob posted:

I'm trying to make it pop more, not less! :v:

Seriously though, I'm going for a parade ground look. I haven't weathered their uniforms or equipment, as I'm trying to make it as bright and pristine as possible.

Umm, turquoise and bronze colours contrast pretty well and that is what people usually mean when they say 'pop'.

And from what I have read in the military history threads basically a cannon would never ever look bright or anything like pure bronze. They would be dull even in parade conditons.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The phrase 'pop' really gets on my nerves.

And yes, cannons, even parade ready, would be dull and scored because they'd still be used and would be stored outside in all weather conditions.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the lectures on cannons, nerds. I'll just go make my model pop with gold or silver highlights. :smug:

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
So I almost lost my first minis to the dreaded fogginess of matt varnish (drat Scottish weather) but managed to clear them up with some krylon gloss. I'm ready to hit them with the matt again but want to avoid another foggy layer. What's the best temperature/humidity to have a room at for matt varnishing?

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I just take a drop of olive oil, dip a q-tip in it and carefully polish the varnish.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
I live with a bunch of good for nothing lazy rear end cats so I have a lot of dust and fluff in my place despite hoovering all the drat time. I'm worried that an oily surface is going to end up with some gross fluffy miniatures.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Monster w21 Faces posted:

So I almost lost my first minis to the dreaded fogginess of matt varnish (drat Scottish weather) but managed to clear them up with some krylon gloss. I'm ready to hit them with the matt again but want to avoid another foggy layer. What's the best temperature/humidity to have a room at for matt varnishing?

I think I remember a harsh limit that's something like 10 degrees Celsius (don't know what that is in crazy backwards moon temperature scale) and 80% humidity. I've varnished in my cellar with a higher humidity outside than that and it went fine though. On the other hand, I believe it can always end up loving up.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
And this is why I own a couple bottles of Vallejo varnish

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

signalnoise posted:

And this is why I own a couple bottles of Vallejo varnish

Yeah I got some brush on varnish too, which is great if you have to do a couple of models during winter, but some times it's just worth it to run the risk if you have to do like 30 stands of infantry or something.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

I live with a bunch of good for nothing lazy rear end cats so I have a lot of dust and fluff in my place despite hoovering all the drat time. I'm worried that an oily surface is going to end up with some gross fluffy miniatures.

You're not oiling the thing up like a roman bodyslave, you're just polishing it. Also I have two fuzzballs myself, never had any problems with fuzzy hams and I work with some really fuzz-sensitive stuff like dip. When in doubt though, always test everything on a miniature you don't care about before trying it on something you'll regret ruining.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

serious gaylord posted:

The phrase 'pop' really gets on my nerves.

And yes, cannons, even parade ready, would be dull and scored because they'd still be used and would be stored outside in all weather conditions.

They usually aren't stored outside if they are active guns. Artillery regiments regard their guns with the same affection as infantry regiments do their Colours; as a result they are extremely well looked after.

I've looked after two old guns that were used for ceremonies, and we gave those things a top to bottom cleaning every two days to make sure they glowed. Seriously, we polished the steel barrels to a mirror shine, along with the brass fittings too.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 22, 2015

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Does anyone have any good reference for minis that have war paint applied?

I'd like to add some warpaint, white hand of Sauron style for my chaos warriors armour but can't seem to track down any good examples of other minis with warpaint applied.

Cheers.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Finished my second Wyvern!

And the completed battery:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The Sex Cannon posted:

Finished my second Wyvern!

And the completed battery:

That's incredibly clean. How'd you do it?

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Beautiful sex cannon Sex Cannon. How'd you get them so crisp?

Just finished this guy:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
:vince:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

"Guys, I just dropped a contact and I can't se-GODDAMN IT STEVE DON'T STEP THERE!"

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

spacegoat posted:

Just finished this guy:

The blend on the claws/arms is what takes this from just being a cool old model to an awesome retro paintjob. Love it!

Finished up five more Stormtroopers for this detachment. I need to paint up 5 more, a Commissar, and a pair of Tauroxes and the formation's done!

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
I dunno how you make that scheme work SRM but it works so drat well.

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010

Does anyone have any good reference for minis that have war paint applied?

I'd like to add some warpaint, white hand of Sauron style for my chaos warriors armour but can't seem to track down any good examples of other minis with warpaint applied.

Cheers.

This guy does an orc with blue war paint.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evuIWfJsCI8
War painting starts at 12:45.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

spacegoat posted:

Just finished this guy:

:captainpop:

Goddamn :allears: that 2nd Edition Screamer Killer

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

everythingWasBees posted:

That's incredibly clean. How'd you do it?

I just take my time and try to be careful, I guess. I don't have an airbrush, so it's really just a matter of working methodically and making sure those paints are thinned. And lots of going back over my many, many fuckups.

spacegoat posted:

Just finished this guy:

Yo that blending, doe

That's a really well done 'fex.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The Sex Cannon posted:

I just take my time and try to be careful, I guess. I don't have an airbrush, so it's really just a matter of working methodically and making sure those paints are thinned. And lots of going back over my many, many fuckups.

Yo that blending, doe

That's a really well done 'fex.

That was done with a brush?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Took a break from my first set of minis (skellies) and decided to pick up a box of chaos warriors as they're an excuse to do more metal work.

Doing them up as 'errant' knights who are roaming the lands being nefarious looter fucks. going to be applying hand daubed warpaint to their armour which mark them as brigands. Probably in orange or yellow.

Using this as colour references.

• Locked thread