Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Mash
May 21, 2007
I hope to see you soon in La La Land

Funzo posted:

Do you not have Diggers Hotline or some equivalent where you live? Some service where they come and mark all that stuff out?

We have the Dial Before You Dig service. Dial 1100 in business hours to lodge a request.

http://1100.com.au/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Funzo posted:

Do you not have Diggers Hotline or some equivalent where you live? Some service where they come and mark all that stuff out?
A friend of mine who's an electrician once hit a gas line while trenching in for some conduit. Digger's Hotline had been out, and had marked the property from the plans instead of using the detector to actually trace where stuff went. Usually, that's all DH needs to do for new construction.

Turns out the plumbers were too lazy to run the gas line around the yard like they were supposed to. Instead, they ran it right through the middle of the yard. Right where the electrical and plumbing runs to the pool were supposed to go. :ughh:

(PSSSHHHH :stare: OH poo poo)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I know gas is nice and useful and all - but I feel marginally safer knowing there are no gas lines in the ground here. The worst they could hit here are probably the district heating piping, and while high-pressure boiling water is bad, it's way less explodey.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Funzo posted:

They will only send out plans (you gotta do the marking out yourself) and its only on public lands- private land your on your own! Or you hire a cable search guy for $200 odd an hr, who wont find dry PVC like both services I hit.

Its cheaper to drop an expanding joiner into the sewer line than to pay the service search guy TBH!

quote:

A friend of mine who's an electrician once hit a gas line while trenching in for some conduit. Digger's Hotline had been out, and had marked the property from the plans instead of using the detector to actually trace where stuff went. Usually, that's all DH needs to do for new construction.

We once put a trencher through the gas line into the house, upstream of the valve doing irrigation when i was working for a landscaper because the plumbers had been slack and had burried the gas main less than 50mm below the bottom of the concrete footpath around the house, so less than 150mm below surface level. That was a fun mess. And then there was the time we were doing piering for a new extension on a church and the dial before you dig identified a main trunk line between two telephone exchanges on the edge of the building, so we got the telstra techs out, they marked it, we dug exactly where they told us it was safe and wound a 10K pair cable and a fiber optic line around the auger!

I wont even go into the day my retarded workmate put a rock drill clean through the concrete cap over a high pressure gas main and bored a 4" hole into the top of the pipe...

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Ferremit posted:

I wont even go into the day my retarded workmate put a rock drill clean through the concrete cap over a high pressure gas main and bored a 4" hole into the top of the pipe...

Oi did you forget what thread you're in?! :f5:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsMGmzROxP0&t=824s

The long slow process of replacing the weakest part of your drivetrain...

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Slavvy posted:

...but the zx-10 came out in 2004...?

Unless there's some other bike with the same moniker I'm not aware of.

Ah, I see. Zx10 not zx10r. Google 1989 Zx10.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Saga posted:

Ah, I see. Zx10 not zx10r. Google 1989 Zx10.

*googles*

Good lord.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Beach Bum posted:

Oi did you forget what thread you're in?! :f5:

No pictures of it, but I was doing soil core sampling for building- we'd push a core sample and send it off to the engineers to determine soil stability for foundation designs, Got sent to a job at a pub who wanted to build a beer garden right on the edge of the footpath. Office did the usual thing and organized dial before you dig for us, but when i went to pick up the paperwork for the job I got a 3/4" thick wad of paper with service plans...

Went to the site, started to read the service plans, found the ones for the natural gas lines and in HUGE red letters across it theres "HIGH PRESSURE GAS MAIN IN AREA! DO NOT DIG WITHOUT APA TECHNICIANS ON SITE!!!". APA is the mob who do all the maintenance on the gas lines around Adelaide. So we rang them up and they cant get a tech on site for a few days so the job got left until they were around.

I got sent to do other work on the day they were meant to be there and my retarded workmate got sent there instead. This is a guy who did a fuel drive off at a servo. In a work drill rig. With our company name on the door. Despite being issued a company credit card with a $10K per month limit...

APA were booked to be there at 8:30. So he got there at 8.

8:30, No APA
9:00, No APA
9:30, No APA
10:00, No APA
10:30, Still no APA

So instead of actually say, ringing them and going "Where the hell are you?" or ringing the office, he decided to to just go stuff it and do the job anyway. Got out the core tubes and started to hammer them into the ground and hit something solid. This happens a lot, you hit rocks or something else that you cant cut through with the tubes, so thats when you pull out the rock auger. 4" diameter auger with carbide teeth doesnt stop at much shy of granite.

APA came around the corner JUUUST in time to see him bore clean through the 6" concrete trench cap, straight through the outer casing of the pipe and into the high pressure gas line. Apparently there was a plume of gas VAPOUR coming up out of the hole.

Shut down 2 main roads, a pub, a shopping center, a Mcdonalds, 3 schools and forced the evacuation of half a suburb until they could get it shut off and fixed up. Somehow he didnt blow himself up?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm afraid to ask, but.. he's unemployed now, right?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

From all the anecdotal stories I've told and heard, it's the ones that make you question how they manage to dress themselves every morning without assistance that hold employment the longest.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

They didnt sack him after that, or the driveoff...

They sacked him after he RAN OVER A BOWSER at the servo in a truck, did a runner and got the company sued for $20K of damage!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
What are these words you are using- "bowser?" and "servo?"

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

After consulting the oracles of commonwealth english, I can say confidently he ran over a fuel pump at a service station.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Wait, he got fired for saving Princess Peach?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Uthor posted:

Nah, she was in another servo.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Uthor posted:

I liked it better when she was called Princess Toadstool.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fucknag posted:

After consulting the oracles of commonwealth english, I can say confidently he ran over a fuel pump at a service station.

And they say we hosed up the language

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

jamal posted:

What are these words you are using- "bowser?" and "servo?"
Basically this.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not this?

:confused:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah my guess was that was like your lingo for some beastly machiney thing in the general realm of a drill press at a machine shop or something.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

No, you're spot on.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I just realised that "bowser" apparently isn't an Americanism. Ferremit, are you from Victoria?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Measly Twerp posted:

I just realised that "bowser" apparently isn't an Americanism. Ferremit, are you from Victoria?

Nahh, Ferremit's a croweater.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Measly Twerp posted:

Dont you swear at me!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Measly Twerp posted:

It is, but it refers to one of these:

Sometimes, people will also refer to large airport fuel trucks as bowsers, but I generally called them fuel trucks, and saved bowser for the smaller, unpowered tanks-on-wheels.

The proper name here for a retail fuel pump is fuel dispenser, but loving nobody calls them that. Instead, they're generally called gas pumps. If you're talking about diesel, that will generally be the descriptor, IE: Diesel pump.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, bowser is a generic term for something used to store/distribute liquids, like a water or fuel tank on a trailer. Using it as slang to refer to a service station fuel pump makes perfect sense.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Book time for a 1.7 Civic timin belt: 3.7hrs.

Book time for a 1.7 Civic head gasket R/R: 4.2 hrs start to finish :catstare:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Meeeh, that engine is a piece of cake to work on. You shouldn't have to take the cambelt entirely off, just cable tying it to the cam sprocket and keeping it tense against the bonnet with a bungee cord should be enough. That way you don't have to dick around with the crank sprocket, water pump and all that fuckery down on the block.

Unfortunate spot for the AC line though.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Slavvy posted:

Meeeh, that engine is a piece of cake to work on. You shouldn't have to take the cambelt entirely off, just cable tying it to the cam sprocket and keeping it tense against the bonnet with a bungee cord should be enough. That way you don't have to dick around with the crank sprocket, water pump and all that fuckery down on the block.

Unfortunate spot for the AC line though.

And P/S line! I did a head job on my sisters 1.7 Civic - was dead simple, just cramped. And I hate that accessory drive. Not made for large hands (and I hate manual tensioners)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Manual accessory tensioners rock when they're simple and logically designed cause you can undo/tighten them gradually and without needing three hands. Honda are a fan of putting them in awkward spots for some reason.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MrYenko posted:

The proper name here for a retail fuel pump is fuel dispenser, but loving nobody calls them that. Instead, they're generally called gas pumps. If you're talking about diesel, that will generally be the descriptor, IE: Diesel pump.

But what about LPG and LNG vehicles? Do they go to the gas gas pump?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

They go to the Gas pump, Everything else goes to either a petrol pump or a diesel pump.

Using "Gas" to describe a liquid is just stupid. :colbert:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tell me do you call E85 "Petrol"? Cause I think you'll find that's just as inaccurate.

:colbert:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Fucknag posted:

Tell me do you call E85 "Petrol"? Cause I think you'll find that's just as inaccurate.

I go to the pub for that.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Fucknag posted:

I don't think that e85 is A Thing outside of subsidized corn land.

Though if it was available here, it would probably be called Smirnoff Best Extra Reserve.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

IPCRESS posted:

I don't think that e85 is A Thing outside of subsidized corn land.

Though if it was available here, it would probably be called Smirnoff Best Extra Reserve.

There is some E85 available in Australia, but it isn't particularly widespread.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Its about, but not easy to find. And its called E85 or Ethanol.

Did see a liberty with a pump for 100 octane the other day. Should go get some for my two stroke bits cos last time I ran them on some 100 octane race gas my mate gave me the chainsaw went REALLY well

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

dissss posted:

There is some E85 available in Australia, but it isn't particularly widespread.

It's the same here. If you plan to run exclusively E85, and build your engine around its high octane rating, you have to plan your trips in a manner that will allow you to fill up on E85. In a large metro area you can usually find it within 15-20 minutes of driving, but you're hosed if you're in the boonies.

GM in particular has been big on marketing Flex Fuel vehicles, meaning they can run on either E85 or regular gasoline/petrol. Ford was for awhile until they introduced their Ecoboost line.

There's a lot of companies that market "Flex Fuel conversion kits" that seems to be nothing more than a plug that goes between the injectors and harness, and the MAF, and a secret black box. :tinfoil: I know my engine CAN run on E85, with the right programming (it's been offered in other cars as a Flex Fuel engine), but the year model I have doesn't have an ECU capable of switching automatically between E85 and normal gasoline. And my car is a bit of a unicorn fart in that it's a Chevrolet (Vauxhaul?) Cobalt disguised as a Saturn, and the ECU has to be paired with the Saturn electronics. Only the last year Ion (07) got the most advanced ECU, and GM didn't really start pushing flex fuel on their smaller stuff until after the Ion had been discontinued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

Ferremit posted:

Its about, but not easy to find. And its called E85 or Ethanol.

Did see a liberty with a pump for 100 octane the other day. Should go get some for my two stroke bits cos last time I ran them on some 100 octane race gas my mate gave me the chainsaw went REALLY well

IIRC the servo at the airport sells E85, as does one of the servos near North Adelaide. I did look at running my Liberty Wagon on it but :effort: