Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

outlier posted:

Any recommendations for a shopping list app?

There's quite a few on the app store but none of those I've tried were quite right. Mostly I'd like to just jot down items and check them off, but it would also be nice is the list was shareable, both to other of my devices and to other people. And even to the desktop?

The closest I've found was just using a page in Evernote. Suggestions?

Second question: I'm using SlideLock on my phone, so I can see notifications on the lock screen, and it's recently stopped working. Or stopped working in an odd way. The wallpaper on the lockscreen changed and I only see updates for my mail, nothing else. I checked the Slidelock settings and everything seems kosher / like it was before. Ideas?
I love Our Groceries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Horn posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a browser that supports stack / background loading? I've been using javelin but the author is a bit sketchy and I'm not in love with the app, aside from the ability to load multiple sites in the background. I've had a hard time searching for this since I'm not 100 percent sure what the right term is.

Not sure what your use case is, or how slow your connection is, but I think I just end up sharing links to pocket rather than opening them in the background, if I don't plan to read it then and there.

There are a bunch of very similar apps, but pocket is free and works OK (though I wish I could disable the "quick reads" section ).

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

outlier posted:

There's quite a few on the app store but none of those I've tried were quite right. Mostly I'd like to just jot down items and check them off, but it would also be nice is the list was shareable, both to other of my devices and to other people. And even to the desktop?

Personally using Out of milk which does all you described above.

There's a link in the OP (which is otherwise pretty outdated. Is anyone ever going to start a new one?)

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

outlier posted:

I used to use out of milk but the iOS app isn't the best and sometimes it just stops syncing with my other devices. Only logging in and out fixed it for me temporarily.

Anyway I have since started using Wunderlist which works great across all kinds of iOS and Android devices.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I'm looking for an app that I can put on my nexus 7 and my phone that will alert my phone that the tablet is running out of battery, and thst I should probably charge up the tablet if I want to be able to grab it and use it in the near future.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bronin posted:

Anyway I have since started using Wunderlist which works great across all kinds of iOS and Android devices.
What I don't like about Wunderlist is that it's more for to-do than shopping. A good shopping app should not only have items that instantly sync across devices (so two people can shop simultaneously) but should remember your choices so you don't have to type them later. In Wunderlist you just have a checklist where you can cross things off or uncheck them, but it doesn't allow you to just have a persistent shopping list with items constantly being shuffled on and off in a readable fashion.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

outlier posted:

I use Google Keep for this. My wife and I have just created a note for the stores we go to and shared them with each other. The notes are shared across any device or browser you're logged into, and you can see edits from the other party in real time. You can even "watch" the shopping in action by seeing the items get checked off. If you have good connection in the store, you can even use the list at the same time, keeping it synced on different phones.

We've tried other shopping apps, but using Keep is just stupid simple for us.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

LastInLine posted:

What I don't like about Wunderlist is that it's more for to-do than shopping. A good shopping app should not only have items that instantly sync across devices (so two people can shop simultaneously) but should remember your choices so you don't have to type them later. In Wunderlist you just have a checklist where you can cross things off or uncheck them, but it doesn't allow you to just have a persistent shopping list with items constantly being shuffled on and off in a readable fashion.

Yeah definitely. For me the most important part is the syncing though. And it has to work across platforms.

I would love to try out google keep and its list sharing but I'm on an iPhone at the moment and the web app isn't really the same thing. I might switch back to Android this year but then my gf gets my iPhone so we're back to square one.
First world problems itt.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

outlier posted:

Second question: I'm using SlideLock on my phone, so I can see notifications on the lock screen, and it's recently stopped working. Or stopped working in an odd way. The wallpaper on the lockscreen changed and I only see updates for my mail, nothing else. I checked the Slidelock settings and everything seems kosher / like it was before. Ideas?

Remember the Milk is the "deluxe" version of this. I personally just use "Plain.txt" which stores in my dropbox a plain text file so I can modify from computer, tablet, or phone.

edit: Way beaten, didn't realize there was another page. :D

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

bronin posted:

Yeah definitely. For me the most important part is the syncing though. And it has to work across platforms.

I would love to try out google keep and its list sharing but I'm on an iPhone at the moment and the web app isn't really the same thing. I might switch back to Android this year but then my gf gets my iPhone so we're back to square one.
First world problems itt.

Looks like there are some ios apps for google keep. They appear ad supported so you could try them out before paying to remove ads.

http://www.guidingtech.com/35760/access-google-keep-iphone-ios/

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Is Nova still the best at what it does?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I like Action Launcher 3. I stopped using the application grid after that slide-from-the-left thing got my attention. Can't imagine not using that anymore. Also Covers are the best folders.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

outlier posted:

I use the paid version of Mighty Grocery Shopping List. It was better, IMO, before the last major update because it was more intuitive to manage; however, it's still a great app. Haven't used it to share lists, but apparently it's do-able with guest accounts. One can also see lists through a browser at their portal at my.mightygrocery.com/list. Some of the sync features may change or go away in future builds, though.

Fake edit: Not available on iOS, yet. They're working on it, apparently.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ilifinicus posted:

I like Action Launcher 3. I stopped using the application grid after that slide-from-the-left thing got my attention. Can't imagine not using that anymore. Also Covers are the best folders.

I'm still using Action Launcher 2, but the slide out app drawer is SO much better and a big part of why I use it over Nova

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

ilifinicus posted:

XIII posted:

I'm still using Action Launcher 2, but the slide out app drawer is SO much better and a big part of why I use it over Nova
What are you guys using the slide out drawer for? I have a couple of widgets and app shortcuts in there but nothing that I can't live without it being a swipe away. Have you found some killer configuration of apps to keep in there?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Karthe posted:

What are you guys using the slide out drawer for? I have a couple of widgets and app shortcuts in there but nothing that I can't live without it being a swipe away. Have you found some killer configuration of apps to keep in there?

I have widgets for BeyondPod and Play Music, so I can quickly fire up something to listen to, and a few shortcuts that I just like having handy (like a flashlight toggle, although that won't be needed if I ever get Lollipop). It's nothing super critical, just something I've grown to really like and don't want to give up if I don't have to.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Karthe posted:

I have folders with my most common apps. One for games, one for google apps, one for media stuff, etc. That way everything I use the most is a swipe and two taps (max) away.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

LastInLine posted:

I like Pepperplate for shopping list and meal planning. It supports the functionality you want, and it can import a recipe into your shopping list. It can also grab recipes from loads of websites.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

gmq posted:

Yes.

bronin posted:

That's why I've stuck with Our Groceries since the Eclair days. You cross something off and it happens like a second later on the other device. It's got web/iOS/Android and it looks good and is *just* for groceries.

Given all the good suggestions here I'd say that this is a solved problem where there's no wrong way to go. SymmetryrtemmyS, I'd suggest this to my wife as she's the cook but I'm afraid given that Our Groceries is probably the one app she has never complained about. You know what Android is like so that's high praise.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

LastInLine posted:

Given all the good suggestions here I'd say that this is a solved problem where there's no wrong way to go. SymmetryrtemmyS, I'd suggest this to my wife as she's the cook but I'm afraid given that Our Groceries is probably the one app she has never complained about. You know what Android is like so that's high praise.

I agree that there are several good options and really very few bad ones. Domestic harmony is more important than perfectly optimized app selection, anyway.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

Yes.
That's why I've stuck with Our Groceries since the Eclair days. You cross something off and it happens like a second later on the other device. It's got web/iOS/Android and it looks good and is *just* for groceries.
I love Our Groceries because of how easy it is to categorize items into custom categories. I've got categories for each aisle at the grocery store so that I know exactly where an item is and it's in order so I don't have to wander around the store.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

gmq posted:

If you want a launcher like the default android but just better in every way then yes, Nova is still the best. If you want something little a different then action launcher 3 is worth a look.

For me action launcher has some cool gimmicks but Nova just has so many options it still comes out on top. I need to give action launcher another look now that 3.2 is out though.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I use ADW, but not because it's the best but because I've been using it since I've owned an Android device. Am I missing anything monumental by not using Nova?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I use ADW, but not because it's the best but because I've been using it since I've owned an Android device. Am I missing anything monumental by not using Nova?
What are using specific to ADW? I have no experience with ADW past, and I am not exaggerating, CM6 on Froyo.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

LastInLine posted:

What are using specific to ADW? I have no experience with ADW past, and I am not exaggerating, CM6 on Froyo.

Nothing. I'm just wondering if there are groundbreaking features I'm missing out on. Right now my homescreen is two folders (utility/useful and internet/media); I might add a third for games. I also have a widget.

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005
You can use Nova to get covers like in Action Launcher (tap to launch first app in folder and swipe up to open) by going Into the settings for an individual folder. Only the icon isn't as nice.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Nothing. I'm just wondering if there are groundbreaking features I'm missing out on. Right now my homescreen is two folders (utility/useful and internet/media); I might add a third for games. I also have a widget.
Then why use a custom launcher at all if you aren't using any features in it? Why not use the Google Now Launcher and benefit from having Google Now right there?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

LastInLine posted:

Yes.

Gonna try it out, thanks. I can already hear the missus though "What? Another app, again?"

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

LastInLine posted:

Then why use a custom launcher at all if you aren't using any features in it? Why not use the Google Now Launcher and benefit from having Google Now right there?

I suppose there is one feature missing from the Google Now launcher - I've tried it and didn't like it because the way I prefer to open my app drawer is a swipe upwards in free space.

Anyway, I have Google Now anywhere (systemwide) with Xposed.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I suppose there is one feature missing from the Google Now launcher - I've tried it and didn't like it because the way I prefer to open my app drawer is a swipe upwards in free space.

Anyway, I have Google Now anywhere (systemwide) with Xposed.
You don't need Xposed to have Google Now available system-wide, it's literally an option in the app itself.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

LastInLine posted:

You don't need Xposed to have Google Now available system-wide, it's literally an option in the app itself.

It didn't work for me on third-party homescreens :shrug:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I believe this is still country/language dependent so maybe it's that.

Edit: Oh, also that, you have to use GNL.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

I believe this is still country/language dependent so maybe it's that.

Edit: Oh, also that, you have to use GNL.
Works for me with Nova (and the option in Nova disabled) so I could believe it being regionalized. Weird.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Next recommend-and-app request: a daily checklist or habit builder app. Touchy-feely details follow.

Background: having just come off a six month stretch of crunch mode at work, all my personal habits and self-care routines are shot to hell. I haven't been to the gym in months, the housework isn't getting taken care of, I'm still grabbing food on the run, etc. So I'd like to get back to a more ordered sensible life.

I've had success with checklists before, so I'm thinking of using an android app that helps me follow a repeating checklist, daily tasks and habits to follow. Once again there's lots of them on the Play market. Some features that might be useful:

* Weekly (and even every other day) checklists
* A displayed history of success (the "Seinfeld method")
* Sync across devices and a standalone website

An often suggested solution is to just use a normal todo app, but that just doesn't seem a good fit. Ideas?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

outlier posted:

Next recommend-and-app request: a daily checklist or habit builder app. Touchy-feely details follow.

Background: having just come off a six month stretch of crunch mode at work, all my personal habits and self-care routines are shot to hell. I haven't been to the gym in months, the housework isn't getting taken care of, I'm still grabbing food on the run, etc. So I'd like to get back to a more ordered sensible life.

I've had success with checklists before, so I'm thinking of using an android app that helps me follow a repeating checklist, daily tasks and habits to follow. Once again there's lots of them on the Play market. Some features that might be useful:

An often suggested solution is to just use a normal todo app, but that just doesn't seem a good fit. Ideas?

Wunderlist will do what you want for #1 and #3. As far as the displayed history of success, it'll show you items that you've crossed out, so maybe that's good enough?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Karthe posted:

The app drawer in AL3 contains every app except the ones you flag to not show. It's just a better visualization of your collection of apps, particularly useful for apps I open once a day and don't wanna keep in a Cover. I just enjoy scrolling a list by the alphabet more than I enjoy looking for app icons with tiny text underneath it

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

outlier posted:

Have you checked out HabitRPG?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Chin Strap posted:

Have you checked out HabitRPG?

I did that. It's good and clever bit I got far too much into the game aspect of it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

Works for me with Nova (and the option in Nova disabled) so I could believe it being regionalized. Weird.

Works for me in Action Launcher 2 as well. Sometimes. GOOGLE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Are there any apps that will automatically disable wifi or activate Airplane mode if the device hasn't been used in X period of time? My Nexus 7 sits around idle most of the time but I never remember to disable wifi so it dies in a few days. I really need to stop letting it completely discharge since I want it to last more than a couple of years, and I know a charge will hold out long enough in Airplane mode for me to pick it up and go "oh hey, I need to charge this".

• Locked thread