Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

If it makes you feel any better a trained hunting dog would do a better job of hunting you down than this supposed super predator does.

It's a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I don't know why the facehugger "cannot" be the one that infected Foster or whatever, it clearly is and I think there's even a log that's like "the thing fell off and appeared to die" that implied it ended up left inside the ship.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I was thinking of what Ash said when he was examining the dead one: "I think it's safe to assume it's not a zombie."

It should have fallen off and died after implanting the embryo in Foster. There was the deleted-scene "Royal Facehugger" from Alien3 that apparently could implant one queen in Ripley and one drone in the dog (or the ox, in another deleted scene) but that one is about five feet long counting the tail, has webbed "fingers", and its body looks a little different from the normal ones. Other than that it seems that it has been established that one normal facehugger can implant one embryo, then it dies. And even at that I doubt Marlowe would just leave it laying dead on the deck onboard his ship.

I guess this is just too much spergin'. My apologies.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Someone in a suit thought there wasn't enough shooty-pew-pew in the Anesidora, so there you have it.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Xenomrph posted:

It.

The Alien is an It. Even the Queen is technically hermaphroditic.

:spergin:

Though what about facehuggers? They skull gently caress you AND lay eggs inside you. Hermaphrodites as well?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aliens have no gender. But if they did, the regular Aliens are total dudes because their head is a magnum dong.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Shnag posted:

Though what about facehuggers? They skull gently caress you AND lay eggs inside you. Hermaphrodites as well?
Facehugger are a sort of ambulatory penis, but even that analogy isn't quite accurate. They're a transitory stage in the overall Alien lifecycle. They aren't really their own organism because they can't reproduce into themselves, they're just a carrier for the Alien embryo. It doesn't really have a clear analogue with anything on earth, but I guess that's kind of the point. :v:

That's one of the (many) things I like about the Alien - the lifecycle as a whole is so strange and unlike anything on earth, but the components of it are easy enough to grasp on the surface which makes it easy for audience members to get what's going on and be scared by it. I can't think of any other fictional creature so perfectly realized and accessible while also being so weird and unlike anything on earth. 'Alien' conveys it all perfectly.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Xenomrph posted:

Facehugger are a sort of ambulatory penis, but even that analogy isn't quite accurate. They're a transitory stage in the overall Alien lifecycle. They aren't really their own organism because they can't reproduce into themselves, they're just a carrier for the Alien embryo. It doesn't really have a clear analogue with anything on earth, but I guess that's kind of the point. :v:

That's one of the (many) things I like about the Alien - the lifecycle as a whole is so strange and unlike anything on earth, but the components of it are easy enough to grasp on the surface which makes it easy for audience members to get what's going on and be scared by it. I can't think of any other fictional creature so perfectly realized and accessible while also being so weird and unlike anything on earth. 'Alien' conveys it all perfectly.

There's plenty of earth organisms that have an "infector" stage that's quite distinct from it's adult stage. And bursting out of the host killing it are also common parasite themes. They just tend to be microscopic rather than 8' tall killing machines :)

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I seem to remember the Alien life cycle was at least partly based on that of parasitic wasps, which have the charming trait of laying their eggs inside living hosts. Your facehugger's an ovipositor more than it is a dick, though of course its design is deliberately evocative of human sex organs because HR Giger is a very scary man. As far as the facehugger aboard the Anesidora goes, its presence is pretty much unexplained and doesn't need explanation. One of the crew might have smuggled it aboard to sell to the company, or the lawyer chick might have tried to take it onboard from Sevastopol, or it may just have stowed away with the haul from LV-426 in a crate from the Nostromo's ill-fated away mission. My personal take is that the sneaky little poo poo clung to the underside of Ripley's shuttle, waited for her to dock then scuttled through the hidden vents of the Anesidora to end up ahead of her with the express purpose of delivering a jumpscare and burning off precious flamethrower fuel because the malevolent little fleshtoned shits are like that. It probably follows you all the way from the hive or something, a la the little spider-legged douchenozzle from Alien 3 that inexplicably ends up aboard the Sulaco's escape shuttle.

Though the truest explanation really is that the throat-raping glovepuppet dickfingers only ever turn up when the plot requires it. They're all off-screen reading over the script on interminably long coffee breaks, just waiting for their cues.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Facehuggers are females because they're vaginas that latch on to your face and force you to do oral on them.

Drones are male because they are walking penises.

Source: H.R. Giger

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Darko posted:

Facehuggers are females because they're vaginas that latch on to your face and force you to do oral on them.

The HR stands for "Hey! Really!"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Ekster posted:

If it makes you feel any better a trained hunting dog would do a better job of hunting you down than this supposed super predator does.

It's a game.

I'm trying to imagine how many times you'd die in medical if the Alien's sense of smell was replicated.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm trying to imagine how many times you'd die in medical if the Alien's sense of smell was replicated.

I think it sorta-kinda-maybe-does have a sense of smell. That's probably why if you hide in one spot long enough, it can zero in on you. I know for certain on nightmare if you hang around long enough, you can see the alien do a "sniffing" motion by standing up and pointing it's head straight up, but I don't know if it's just an animation or if it really does something. The sense of smell may only come into play when you hide in a locker though, and it presses it's face against the door. Creative Assembly really need to do a write up on how the A.I. works at some point.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The Repo Man posted:

I think it sorta-kinda-maybe-does have a sense of smell. That's probably why if you hide in one spot long enough, it can zero in on you.

I feel the same way.

It seems like she has a sense of smell; to an extent anyway. And even if she doesn't I just use that to explain away the AI tethering and the occasional "cheating". The alien definitely seems to "learn" in certain ways. It may be all my imagination but even if that's true the developers did a great job making it feel that certain things are going on, even if it's just random and the usual AI bullshittery.

The number of "cheap deaths" I've experienced in this game feels rather low. Usually it's due to me not being careful enough, paying attention to my tracker or listening closely enough. When she finds me in a locker, I just say "welp, she smelled me in there" or just learned to check lockers after a certain point.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

BiggerBoat posted:

The number of "cheap deaths" I've experienced in this game feels rather low. Usually it's due to me not being careful enough, paying attention to my tracker or listening closely enough. When she finds me in a locker, I just say "welp, she smelled me in there" or just learned to check lockers after a certain point.

The only time I felt was a cheap death was in medical; I was checking the motion tracker, saw it coming towards me and ducked under a gurney right as I heard it in a vent overhead; it climbed down from the vent (I was already under the gurney at that point), got up while looking straight at me, ran right over and face-hosed me.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

The only time I felt was a cheap death was in medical; I was checking the motion tracker, saw it coming towards me and ducked under a gurney right as I heard it in a vent overhead; it climbed down from the vent (I was already under the gurney at that point), got up while looking straight at me, ran right over and face-hosed me.

She smelled you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Darko posted:

It's too bad they took the bell end off the back of the alien's head for the movies.

E:And the oakleys.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The terror of a walking 8 foot penis.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

BiggerBoat posted:

She smelled you.

Probably smelled my fear, I was making GBS threads my pants at that point.

I think that's one of the reasons I love this game so much. It's not about the jump scares, other than the abduction right before heading to the Torrens when putting the space suit on, but even then you get some warning and a few duct ambushes (which, again, you CAN see if you're careful).
The game is just TENSE all the time.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Prometheus is great because it is basically an explicit rejection of Star Trek. Instead of the logical and competent first contact with benevolent aliens Star Trek posits it has incompetent and deluded humans gently caress up first contact with malevolent aliens. People got angry the scientists were morons but that was the point, they're only really there to act as canaries in the coal mine for Weyland anyway.

MrMojok posted:

I do love this game so, but a couple of things have really been gnawing at me.

The second is a bigger problem. If there's more than one alien pursuing you in the early part of the game, it would better explain how one seems to be near you all the time. Yet after you escape the detached hazard lab or medlab or whatever that thing was, the alien is gone. You have that long stretch of the game where there are no aliens at all, which would seem to suggest that it was just the one hunting you all along.

If it was just the one though, there is no real logical reason for why/how it pursues you all over the station. You can take the transit car from one spire to another, which seems to be a considerable distance, and in no time, the alien which was hounding you at the previous spire makes itself known at your arrival point. And we know there are other aliens down in the reactor... why are they all just hanging around the nest? Seems like if there are unhatched eggs and viable hosts still alive, they would all be out stalking the halls looking for people to grab, wouldn't they?

And obviously if there were more than just the one rampaging throughout the station you wouldn't get the relief of the alien-free section of the game. If the answer is just "well... it's a game" then I have to deal with it. It has just been bugging me since my last playthrough.

Isn't there some indication the reactor is sealed off by APOLLO containing/protecting them until WY can arrive to capture them? But yeah it is just a game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

tarbrush posted:

There's plenty of earth organisms that have an "infector" stage that's quite distinct from it's adult stage. And bursting out of the host killing it are also common parasite themes. They just tend to be microscopic rather than 8' tall killing machines :)
Yeah, the cycle works more as a body horror version of what we already know in smaller scale. There's nothing really alien about any of it. Hell, insect world knows way and I mean WAY worse than it.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Another possibly spinoff idea for this game. Predator: Isolation

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Just don't pick up a gun and you'll be OK.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

NESguerilla posted:

It's too bad they took the bell end off the back of the alien's head for the movies.

E:And the oakleys.

It's still there somewhat, just definitely not as pronounced and penis shaped.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The worst jump scares are the 'dead' androids lying around grabbing you seemingly at random. That got me every single time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ekster posted:

The worst jump scares are the 'dead' androids lying around grabbing you seemingly at random. That got me every single time.

Their eyes are usually lit up still if they're jumpers.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
I appreciate the clarification on the game, everyone. Shame it's still $60 on US PSN Store, time to spent a little Sunday time trolling video game stores for deals.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CelticPredator posted:

Just don't pick up a gun and you'll be OK.

Yeah but see, just like you were ripley's daughter in this you will be Dutch's nephew who is a Navy SEAL out on a anti terror mission when the predator shows up.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
gently caress that, you should be Jake Busey, joining the MiB to find out what killed his dad.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Sentinel Red posted:

gently caress that, you should be Jake Busey, joining the MiB to find out what killed his dad.

Press "X" to holster giant poo poo-eating grin

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Their eyes are usually lit up still if they're jumpers.

Can you gently caress them up before they grab you? After the first couple of times I got wise to their poo poo but never seemed to be able to hit them before they got me.

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Another possibly spinoff idea for this game. Predator: Isolation

Good call. That would be pretty sweet. Make it so you have to find areas with mud, water or other things to cool your body temperature and hide, find poo poo to craft traps and then set them in the best place based off of your map. Build weapons and set fires and poo poo. Nice idea.

I doubt we'll see a franchise since the game doesn't seem to be selling that well but the possibilities for further games are pretty vast. I still think an Isolation style game based on a slasher movie (Halloween, Jason, Freddie) would be pretty great.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 22, 2015

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

BiggerBoat posted:

Can you gently caress them up before they grab you? After the first couple of times I got wise to their poo poo but never seemed to be able to hit them before they got me.

Yeah, you can shoot them while they're down on the floor and they'll take some damage. It's kind of moot, though, since once you notice they all have the glowy eyes you can just give them a wide berth and they'll never get up. Even the one on the science module with you while everything's flying through space and the alien is going nuts can't be arsed to sit up and see what's going on, apparently.

Edit: I just started a second runthrough of this yesterday: I really love this game and I think I'm going to try and platinum it. I bumped the difficulty down to easy and I'm going for a no-deaths, no humans killed, collect everything run - I noticed that I still have all the logs and ID tags from my first playthrough. Does that mean that every ID tag I run across in this playthrough is one I haven't collected yet, or do they all show up again? I've only found one ID tag in the first four chapters of the game, so I'd assume the former.

Also whoever first called Easy the "space station walking simulator" difficulty, you weren't kidding. Other than loving facehuggers I don't think it'll be hard at all to do a no-death run. Medical was a loving cakewalk.

Popular Human fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 22, 2015

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Popular Human posted:

Yeah, you can shoot them while they're down on the floor and they'll take some damage. It's kind of moot, though, since once you notice they all have the glowy eyes you can just give them a wide berth and they'll never get up. Even the one on the science module with you while everything's flying through space and the alien is going nuts can't be arsed to sit up and see what's going on, apparently.

Edit: I just started a second runthrough of this yesterday: I really love this game and I think I'm going to try and platinum it. I bumped the difficulty down to easy and I'm going for a no-deaths, no humans killed, collect everything run - I noticed that I still have all the logs and ID tags from my first playthrough. Does that mean that every ID tag I run across in this playthrough is one I haven't collected yet, or do they all show up again? I've only found one ID tag in the first four chapters of the game, so I'd assume the former.

Also whoever first called Easy the "space station walking simulator" difficulty, you weren't kidding. Other than loving facehuggers I don't think it'll be hard at all to do a no-death run. Medical was a loving cakewalk.

All ID tags show up again, so you will probably need a guide. Some are hidden really well and it can be tough to tell which ones you got already. The guide I used was Maka's Guides. If you google Alien Isolation makas guides, it should bring you to an Xbox forum where all the tags and what not are in the order you can collect them. You don't need 100% of the normal logs for achievements though, only the Nostromo logs.

I managed a no death run on normal. You can cheat the system a bit though. When you are killed the game does allow you to go one save back from the last one you made, so it's possible to take a death and not have it count. It helps a lot with the face huggers.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Started my nightmare run today, I'm sure it will go well.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Yeah but see, just like you were ripley's daughter in this you will be Dutch's nephew who is a Navy SEAL out on a anti terror mission when the predator shows up.

http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Detective_Shaefer

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Reading between the lines, was the guy in Medical who sent you on a fetch quest secretly addicted to painkillers or something? There's a lot of mention of him jonesing for medical supplies, and that's even after all the patients got moved out.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Yeah, he was shooting up on the meds. The chief doctor cut his access to the pharmacy just before the incident started.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Speedball posted:

Reading between the lines, was the guy in Medical who sent you on a fetch quest secretly addicted to painkillers or something? There's a lot of mention of him jonesing for medical supplies, and that's even after all the patients got moved out.
Yeah it was subtly hinted at in the audio log where he states for the record that he does NOT have a problem

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

prussian advisor posted:

I appreciate the clarification on the game, everyone. Shame it's still $60 on US PSN Store, time to spent a little Sunday time trolling video game stores for deals.

I'm not going to say the game is only worth getting when its dirt cheap, but it does go on sale alot. Such as its 60% off on the 360 xbox marketplace at the moment, just keep your eye out like you're doing.

Popular Human posted:

That's not even necessary, just literally don't take your eyes off him. I walked all around a working joe on the floor while looking at him with out him even twitching, maybe you can shoot him, but i know you can't damage them with a wrench until they actually make a move. Its not until you turn your back to him and try to walk away before he grabs you. Though, bashing in the heads of the working joes laying down on the job doesn't seem to attract attention like slapping around his less lazy brethren seem too.

Shnag fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Those of you who've used headphones, can you recommend some that sound good with this game? I have a crap pair I bought for $25 from Target, and want to get something nicer. I don't know if I want to spend hundreds on a nice set of Sennheisers, though.

• Locked thread