Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

GhostStalker posted:

Hmm, we never actually bought the skills to use our other mechadendrites, yet I see those talents on our sheet. Probably fudging some numbers or something...

:ssh:

quote:

Also, why is our profile pic in the OP now a Quarian? Xeno scum!

Noble of the Void 22 Years Old Stunted 1.55m/45kg Bluish Skin, Hairless, Black Eyes :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Depending on whether we're using RT or DH rules, there could be only 2 mechadendrite proficiency talents, utility and weapon. They pretty much suck as weapons so it's not a big deal.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Medicae

The nearby guests were huddled around Limosa’s form. It was an odd sight, all these high ranking and superbly dressed people performing basic first aid - but after months of war, perhaps not surprising that people had picked up a few skills. And this room was full of military anyway. You made your way closer, considering your lessons of the Biologis. He was having trouble breathing, and his face was a mess of fluid - drool and tears.

Probably wasn’t an allergic reaction, then. And they had checked if he was choking on something.

Ah. The symptoms were progressing. Limosa was vomiting on the people near him, and the ones who weren’t sprayed made disgusted faces as he pissed and poo poo himself. They were still focused on the task at hand, however - talking about what possible poisons it might be. You were rather impressed by their knowledge - they were suggesting methods you’d never heard of. Hive life, you supposed.

And then they started coughing as well.

Bodies smashed into you, a blur of greatcoats and gas masks. They tackled everyone around Limosa, pinning them to the ground, even as you were pushed well away from the site. A familiar voice roared through the room, cutting off all discussion. “GET AWAY FROM HIM!” The Kriegers were implacable, moving you dozens of meters away, and even as they did so you saw the ones on the ground pulling out massive injectors from their leather bags.

The exaggerated needles punched into the victims’ chests, filling them full of serum. Other Kriegers were pushing everyone, the entire crowd to the walls. A picture of them, party hats and noisemakers, would have been humorous, but no one in the crowd resisted those identical soldiers. Insectile masks stared at the crowd, more injectors held unhesitatingly in their hands.

Fabiyan pulled you aside, checked your eyes, your mouth. Whatever he saw reassured him.
“Fabiyan, what is this?”
Limosa was twitching and jerking on the tiled floor. The sound of his bones breaking in the silent room was very loud.
Fabiyan’s voice was grim. “Sludge syndrome. Happens on Krieg sometimes, we’ve all seen it.”
“Sludge? Like a toxic sludge?”
“Kind of.” His voice entered a mnemonic. “Salivation Lacrimation Urination Defecation Gastrointestinal Emesis. If you get the injection fast enough, you’ll survive.” He glanced at the victims on the ground. Some were entering convulsions, some were simply having vivid hallucinations. “There are some side effects though.”

“What are you going to do now?”
He shrugged. “Contain the situation. The symptoms haven’t spread, which is good. We only brought enough injectors for maybe twenty percent of this crowd.”
“You blinked. You brought a hundred serum injectors and functional NBC suits to a party?”
“Krieg.”
“Of course.”
You gestured to the bodies. “And them?”
“No one without a suit can go near them for the next hour or so. The contagion should stop by then.”
“How do you think it got here?”
He glanced at you. “I think finding that out is more your area of expertise.”
You nodded thoughtfully.

A comm interrupted your thoughts, encrypted, private channel. Just a few words, Sincera’s voice.

“I’ve found him.”

What do you do?

A. Leave the scene, visit Sincera
B. Stand by for medical treatment/quarantine
C. Help the Kriegers do medical treatment
D. Begin your own investigations (where?)
E. Something Else

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
A

The Krieg have the situation in hand, and Sincera is going to go after him with us or without us. Might as well go with her.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

A

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Devries is as good a lead as anything we have now, isn't he? A

Excuse ourselves from the party to go fly away and investigate. Bring the core members of our retinue up to the ship and get appropriate reinforcements lined up--after we get more information from Sincera about the details. While we fly, contact the Lord-Sire to check in, and try to find out whatever we can about Limosa's recent activities.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
B: Don't break Quarantine. Matthias and Tanya can assist Sincera with the assault.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
There's only one answer here, isn't there? A.

Incidentally, voting that we enter the meeting with Sincera prepared for a trap, De Vries might have captured her and is using her to draw us in.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
A

Let's wrap up Devries since we can't do anymore here. Can we switch to doggy view and see where Sincera is?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What if we broke quarantine with us in a bio suit?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Kegslayer posted:

A

Let's wrap up Devries since we can't do anymore here. Can we switch to doggy view and see where Sincera is?

As you get closer, yes. Basically, when you are in the elevator/shuttle.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

RandomPauI posted:

What if we broke quarantine with us in a bio suit?

Yeah, I think its reasonable that the Kriegers (Fabian) might have brought one in your size.

:3: :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
OK, this has gone on long enough.
Congratulations goons, it really was Sincera Pax! :)

Her name comes from Vivaldi's Nulla in Mundo Pax Sincera. A big inspiration for my original concept of her was a conversation I had with a goon about New Mexico Catholics, but it changed as I added bits of Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot to the character (it's where her age comes from, for example), and then got inspired to make her be a Southeast-Asian woman due to reading a rather horrible report on violence against women in a certain country over there, shortly before sending my idea to LowellDND.

I wanted something that punishes player tendencies to loot everything not nailed down, and then steal the nails for good measure, but I didn't want a simple "Gotcha, this is actually a corrupted artifact of DOOM!!!" However, I also didn't want to include a character powerful enough to present an actual, physical threat to Ohone. Eventually, I was inspired by Al Capone's fate (busted for tax evasion) to make a simple accountant-detective. The threat doesn't lie in her, but in the incredibly powerful political machinery of the Imperium whose attention and anger she can direct towards you. Her strengths would be that we couldn't simply blackmail her, or bribe her, or stay out of her way, that she's a match for Ohone in the detectiving department, and brave enough that we would have a lot of difficulty trying to intimidate her. A trait that could work both as a strength and a weakness would be her deep devotion - not so much to the God-Emperor as to the idea that there is something beyond the horrible world around her. Her weaknesses would be the delight she finds in the game of cat and mouse, being a genuinely good (though somewhat pragmatical) person in a Dark Heresy game, and her utter irrelevance as an individual human being in the fascist dictatorship called The Imperium of Man.

I imagined a number of different outcomes for our interactions with her:
  • We keep doing outrageous robberies that result in a waste of Imperial lives, without bothering to cover them up, and she gathers enough evidence to persuade someone important that we're to blame. We get in deep trouble with everyone, either for what we've done, or simply for allowing ourselves to get caught.
  • Same as above, but we kill her before she can hand over the evidence - other than somewhat pissing the Munitorium off for killing one of their clerks if we don't cover it up, nothing bad would happen to us. She is quickly completely forgotten.
  • We keep doing outrageous robberies that result in a waste of Imperial lives, but cover them up just enough for her to be unable to prove our guilt. But she's sure of it, and returns later as an enemy with a grudge.
  • We keep doing outrageous robberies, but outsmart Pax enough to cover up the nasty ones well, and don't do anything that would piss her off. She's aware that we've done something, but appreciates the fun of chasing us enough to return later as an friendly face in a nasty place.
  • We keep doing outrageous robberies, don't do anything particularly horrible, and indulge her in playing along with the game of cat and mouse. If we play it right, and impress her, she joins our entourage.
  • There is no option that considers what happens if we don't keep doing outrageous robberies, because goons.

For an example of alternate scenarios, had the plan to steal the nukes gone through (or the plan to use them to steal the hive cap), it would have been outrageous enough to give Sincera enough evidence to accuse us, and the implied death toll these actions would have caused in the long run would have more-less locked Sincera into a mortal enemy, and would give us no choice but to kill her ASAP or suffer the consequences of making the Imperial bureaucracy and anyone who directly depended on them very angry. (note: I say this in retrospect. I did not know anything about the upcoming plotlines, other than what I could have guessed from the thread, like everyone else.)

Lowell kinda caught me off guard with her history of troublemaking, since I imagined her simply as someone stuck with job waaay beneath her abilities, and incredibly bored by it - but then again, Sincera isn't really someone who could just stay quiet for decades, is she? The knitting, the tea, and the former Arbites career were all Lowell's ideas, but they fit her character incredibly well, and I liked them a lot. The back-and-forth banter was a joy to read, and exactly what I had in mind for Sincera's and Ohone's mental duels. :allears:

I have to emphasize this, having a concept is nice and all, but it's nothing without a writer who can give the character life, and LowellDND certainly did an amazing job with her. I appreciate the effort that went into including her into the world he was building without altering the core of her character, and I can't wait to see what he does with the ideas cooked up by other goons.

Sorry about the wall of text. :shobon:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

And Sincera is really tremendous fun to write :D I try to get her in as many scenes as possible.

Adding 250 XP to the character sheet of course.

And now... I open the same offer to three players who have helped the story along quite a bit. Lanky Coconut Tree has asked many good questions and comments, Waci and I have had many good conversations in chat about the game, and Tomn has been stress testing my world design :D

So feel free to PM me about a plot or character you would like to see in Arc 3 :D

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
A

Welp, we'll find out where it came from later.

Edit: Great character idea as well, mydad.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
D, check his Grox and especially his eldar wine. If I was sneaky it would be a binary poison for targeting.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
A. Krieger contamination suit dress up time, until we are certain we are clean.

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
D Question Fabiyan about his previous experience with this. Try to find out how he was infected.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

The Rising Storm

Time to make your excuses. “Fabiyan, I’ve got a dead heir and my ship is asking questions. Can I examine the murder scene?”
He nodded. “If you put on a Krieg suit. We have one in the trucks for you.”
You blinked. “You have a tailored NBC suit for me?”
Fabiyan didn’t meet your eyes. “The Kriegers like you. Well, want to die with you. I’ll show you how to put it on.”

It took about fifteen minutes, and was . . . functional, if not comfortable. You could see how someone could spend days in one, if not a lifetime. That would take more effort than you were ready for. His voice was tinny in your ears, going through wires that had been worn by a thousand Kriegers. “Testing. Can you hear me?”
“Solid. Fabiyan, where does the Sludge symptoms come from?”
“Well, Krieg is a warzone.”
“Sure. So?”
His voice sounded distant. “So we’re still finding unexploded ordinance. Artillery shells that didn’t go off, or are leaking. Landmines that blow up candidate soldiers. Sometimes the suit doesn’t keep out the chemicals. Than you see Sludge symptoms.”
“What does that have to with here?”
His gas mask turned to you. “We just had a war. Someone found a chemical or short-life biological weapon and used it.”
“That could be anyone.”
He grunted. “Just so. Go check the body.”
You took what samples you could. The platter of squig cubes, the wine bottle he had pocketed. Skin and saliva samples. They were carefully put in their own containment, and locked securely, with all the warnings of the Mechanicus on them.
“Thank you Fabiyan. I need to take my retinue back to the Beast, they will want to know what happened.
“I understand. We have some Biologis priests coming, they are going to take second samples and then incinerate the body. Its too dangerous to leave lying around.”
“Goodbye Fabiyan.”
“Goodbye Ohone.”

You rounded up your people - Jeb, Father Krieg, Skade, de la Torres, Matthias, Tanya. Their vehicles and staff. And then your shuttles were in the air, leaving the world behind you. A world, unpleasantly, that had been the ground for two Magos’ experiments, and that had killed nearly a quarter billion of people. The waste of it appalled you. You hoped when you were Magos, you wouldn’t be so cavalier with your research subjects.

As you entered orbit, you received a general message, sent to all ships leaving the planet.

quote:

Attention Golgotha personnel. You have recently participated in an Imperial Guard exercise. The particulars of this exercise are of the highest secrecy, and forbidden to speak of to anyone who did not participate. Ignoring this order will result in the severest penalties.

In my own hand, Warmaster de Vadillo

Well, that was clear enough. It would probably hurt morale severely to know that a primary supply planet of the war had been shredded by Tyranids. For that matter, similar orders were probably why you didn’t know anything of the xenos in the nearby Sarina Sector. Didn’t mean those xenos were Tyranids, given what you knew of how this batch was spawned, but something to think about.

You received a second note almost immediately.

quote:

Servants of the Beast of Trall Traal. Mercenaries in our employ, members of the Family, their retinue, and all who call the Beast home. All are ordered to return to the Ship immediately. Anyone who does not return within twenty four hours shall be known as Excommunicate Traitoris, subject to pursuit and annihilation of the Imperial Guard of Golgotha. There will be no exceptions.

In my own hand, Lord-Sire Fredrik Narciso Di Muzio.

And that was a bit more ominous. You wondered if they were related in some way.

As you approached the familiar hammerhead shape of the Beast, you reached out with your mind, to view the world from the Stryix implants within Megabite. And then you cursed, as they showed you the inside of your bag. You had forgotten, you had removed them so you could use them on the quest for the Magos, and used them to slay the Bio-Titan. They were in your bag now, unavailable to spy on Sincera. That was unfortunate, you thought she might have been subverted.

Best to prepare for a trap regardless.

You accessed your comm, reached out for a familiar voice. “Captain Astri.”
“Milady.” She sounded harried. No surprise, if all members of the ship were returning at once.
“What’s going on? Why is everyone coming back?”
“No one knows. Rumor says someone is getting married.”
“Lord-Sire?”
“No, a minor cousin.”
“Well, that doesn’t make any sense. We have minor weddings every week.”
You could hear her shrug. “You got me. Anything else?”
“No, go ahead.”
“Thank you Milady. Astri out.”

Curiouser and curiouser.

Sincera was waiting for you as you docked. You glanced about her out of habit, looking for the ambush, but didn’t see anyone. She looked fairly pissed off though, although Megabite was ecstatic to see you - running up, nuzzling. You gave her a hug and ruffled her fur as you looked at Sincera. “What’s the word?”
“That fucker.” She hissed. “Three months in the Deeps, in Between, no leads, no clues, ran out of yarn. Nothing.
“And then?”
She threw paper letters at you. “And then he invited us to his wedding!

quote:

Dearest Sincera.

I am blessed by the opportunity to invite you to this, the proudest day of my life. Please join us in the binding of Amacita Terlouw of the Beast and Major Devries of the Imperial Guard in holy matrimony.

My kindest regards.
Devries

quote:

Dearest Ohone

I am blessed by the opportunity to invite you to this, the proudest day of my life. Please join us in the binding of Amacita Terlouw of the Beast and Major Devries of the Imperial Guard in holy matrimony.

My kindest regards.
Devries

-----

You have ~72 hours before the ceremony. Have fun!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

ASSASSINATE AMACITA

e: and Devries too

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Welp our secret base is compromised and so is Amacita. Thankfully he shouldn't have access to the cloning vats, leaving the ship would be too--- wait gently caress he has access to the xeno device WELP.

Put on our robe and wizard hat (psider webbing) then go find Amacita for a chat.

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 23, 2015

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Step one take that xeno artifact back and destroy it ASAP any means necessary.

Step two get Devries to have an accident and Amacita too if necessary/she's still alive after step one

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Visit our dear cousin to congratulate her.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Investigate DeVries' cloning equipment. Disgusting as it may be, the nasty little viper has already split his soul numerous times. Creating one more without his unpleasant mistakes gives us an easy way of making the original disappear while giving us an informer and minder for Amacita.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tran posted:

Investigate DeVries' cloning equipment. Disgusting as it may be, the nasty little viper has already split his soul numerous times. Creating one more without his unpleasant mistakes gives us an easy way of making the original disappear while giving us an informer and minder for Amacita.

Where is it? :v:

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Find him and shoot him in the face

Welp our secret base is compromised and so is Amacita. Thankfully he shouldn't have access to the cloning vats, leaving the ship would be too--- wait gently caress he has access to the xeno device WELP.

Put on our robe and wizard hat (psider webbing) then go find Amacita for a chat.

Yep should probably tell Lord Sire someone assassinated his psyker too :v:. Get that wedding delayed, if Lord sire isn't around to officiate it's gotta be put on hold :v:.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

We can't just outright seek to murder DeVries. It might be a clone, and if we kill the wrong one it'll cause problems, slow down our progress towards catching the real article.

We should require all new arrivals to submit to a DNA scan, in light of the tyrannid presence. Anyone who refuses to be scanned will be placed on a wanted list and removed from the ship at earliest convenience. DeVries conveniently is also a new arrival from this planet, and when he was scanned we'd know if he was the real article or another clone.

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
Let's go tell the Lord-Sire about the death in the family. Suggest he postpone the wedding until a suitable window of execution mourning period has past.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Alternate plan, wait for the wedding and when they get to the end of the weird space vows kick the door open and scream "I object" while shooting Amacita with the Gargant Slayer and Baleful eyeing Devries.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Me: Happy ending! Lets have a wedding!
Thread: How can we blow it up.

:allears:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JT Jag posted:

We can't just outright seek to murder DeVries. It might be a clone, and if we kill the wrong one it'll cause problems, slow down our progress towards catching the real article.

We should require all new arrivals to submit to a DNA scan, in light of the tyrannid presence. Anyone who refuses to be scanned will be placed on a wanted list and removed from the ship at earliest convenience. DeVries conveniently is also a new arrival from this planet, and when he was scanned we'd know if he was the real article or another clone.

This is a smart idea

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

JT Jag posted:

New arrivals since Lord-Sire gave the order, new arrivals since you've come to Golgotha?

The second is hundreds of thousands of people (Beast was an R&R place during the war)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

LowellDND posted:

Me: Happy ending! Lets have a wedding!
Thread: How can we blow it up.

:allears:

There are no happy endings in this grim dark future, which is why we know that it is a lie :colbert:

Suffer not the groom to live.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

LowellDND posted:

New arrivals since Lord-Sire gave the order, new arrivals since you've come to Golgotha?
The second. We won't really follow through on the wanted list thing except in cases when we want to. Gives us leverage over an entire city's worth of people. "You didn't submit to the scan, did you? I could kick you off right now if you don't give me this information."

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

As per IRC discussion, changing vote: Discretely go among Limosa's powerbase fanning the flames of Xenophobia. Play up Devries as Limosa's likely murderer and his status as planetborn.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Tran posted:

As per IRC discussion, changing vote: Discretely go among Limosa's powerbase fanning the flames of Xenophobia. Play up Devries as Limosa's likely murderer and his status as planetborn.

Xun posted:

ASSASSINATE AMACITA

e: and Devries too

Use Amacita's artifact as evidence of Xeno corruption as well as the litany of crimes Devries is wanted for. Bust out the Rosette at the ceremony during the "Objections" portion. Read their crimes aloud for all to hear, then shoot them both dead with our palm gun in the name of the Inquisition, then declare victory as successor for the Lord-Sire.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Tran posted:

Supporting this.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Tran posted:

Agreed, supporting this along with enterting Limosa's quarters to loot, er take inventory of his stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Plus one to looting Limosa's quarters before telling the boss he died.