Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

As far as we know he is but considering the near-constant hints they dropped about Evil God Liu Kang I wouldn't be surprise if he dramatically shows up to kill Raiden or something.

Yeah, the story mode in MK9 has shown him being killed quite thoroughly, but that's not necessarily a hindrance. Kitana and Kung Lao had both died as well, and they're back as playable characters. I think Jax may be back as well, if just as a background story character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I hope Jax comes back, he was my main in 9.

Though, that was primarily due to air-grabs absolutely trashing wannabe Kung Lao MLGs.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The new issue of the comic is metal as gently caress. They've done a pretty great job making Kotal Kahn a badass.

It does raise questions about Goro's inclusion in the game. While some characters look to be simply resurrected, they'll have to come up with a different explanation as to why Goro is no longer four stumps and a pair of legs.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gavok posted:

The new issue of the comic is metal as gently caress. They've done a pretty great job making Kotal Kahn a badass.

It does raise questions about Goro's inclusion in the game. While some characters look to be simply resurrected, they'll have to come up with a different explanation as to why Goro is no longer four stumps and a pair of legs.

Whatever way they go, I think they might be using that incident as an avenue to believably power Goro down to the point where he'd be properly balanced for a regular playable character. At least the pun for Cassie Cage basically writes itself: "So, last I heard you were pretty 'armless." :downsrim:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Gavok posted:

Well, if it worked for Jax...

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Kurtofan posted:

Is Liu Kang dead?

I hope so. Generic Kung Fu Guy doesn't have much place in a game where you can also be a ninja skeleton or a freaky bug woman.

Besides, Kung Lao fills the Kung Fu role better and he has a buzz saw hat.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Gavok posted:

Goro's status as a pre-order extra makes me think that he won't have much of a role to play in the story.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Suspicious Cook posted:

I hope so. Generic Kung Fu Guy doesn't have much place in a game where you can also be a ninja skeleton or a freaky bug woman.

Besides, Kung Lao fills the Kung Fu role better and he has a buzz saw hat.

If Liu Kang is back there's no way he's going to be anything except the new Fire God.

Angry Magic Bruce Lee beats buzzsaw hat any day

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Andrew Verse posted:

Goro's status as a pre-order extra makes me think that he won't have much of a role to play in the story.

Yeah, I don't think any of the DLC characters in the last game were involved in the story at all, not even as background characters.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kelp Plankton posted:

Yeah, I don't think any of the DLC characters in the last game were involved in the story at all, not even as background characters.

Technically Skarlet was a background character, in the most literal sense :haw:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Perestroika posted:

Technically Skarlet was a background character, in the most literal sense :haw:

Boo this man. But he is correct.

AnonSpore posted:

Well, if it worked for Jax...

If you are suggesting that Goro gets a set of robot arms to replace the ones he lost, I just want you to know that I have now stolen this idea had that idea first and Netherrealm studios owes me for intellectual property if they use that. A forum post here is a legally binding contract.

TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010

Gavok posted:

The next arc looks like it will be about Sonya. I really hope that it explain why she seems to hate Kotal so much. So far He's seemed to be completely reasonable in his actions involving Earthrealm, but She keeps giving him a raw deal.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Rain made an appearance in the comic too, although he gets owned by Kotal immediately.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Rain made an appearance in the comic too, although he gets owned by Kotal immediately.

It's nothing new for him.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TheMaskedChemist posted:

The next arc looks like it will be about Sonya. I really hope that it explain why she seems to hate Kotal so much. So far He's seemed to be completely reasonable in his actions involving Earthrealm, but She keeps giving him a raw deal.

At the way things are going with Sonya, I'm actually hoping she gets killed soon. She's been written incredibly unlikeable.

TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010
Kotal: Hey Sonya, maybe we should work together to stop Mileena. After all if she consolidates all the forces of Outworld, Earthrealm is pretty much at the top of her poo poo list.

Sonya: gently caress YOU!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The PDP MKX pads are up for preorder - there's a PS3/PS4 version and a X360/XB1/PC version, out April 1, $49.99.

Hori's FC4 pad for PS3/PS4 is up for preorder, too - it'll be out at the end of April for $44.99. Get that one if you don't trust PDP.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I hated this when I was kid. My three favorite characters written out in one scene.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The PDP MKX pads are up for preorder - there's a PS3/PS4 version and a X360/XB1/PC version, out April 1, $49.99.

Hori's FC4 pad for PS3/PS4 is up for preorder, too - it'll be out at the end of April for $44.99. Get that one if you don't trust PDP.

Are PDP's untrustworthy enough not to get one? If that's the case I'll probably just import a Hori from eBay.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Babe Magnet posted:

I hated this when I was kid. My three favorite characters written out in one scene.

Why the Hell did he even kill Rain. He did his job, and his issue was that he was not more of an rear end in a top hat while doing it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mr E posted:

Are PDP's untrustworthy enough not to get one? If that's the case I'll probably just import a Hori from eBay.

Their earlier fightpads were a total crapshoot in terms of build quality. These newer ones have replaced the old digital nub (the part most susceptible to manufacturing issues) with a d-pad so they might be a safer bet this time around, but you never know.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Babe Magnet posted:

At least Stryker and Kabal being two of Earthrealm's greatest warriors became cannon in MK9, holy poo poo that part of the story mode is awesome. :3:
Also note now later on in MK Annihilation when Baraka gets thrown into a flaming pit, to save money they just show the shot of Rain being thrown into the flaming pit again. Like between cuts he just transformed into Rain.

Also I really do love the "you have to make them kneel before you and beg" concept he's so obsessed with. Even Shinnok is like "c'mon son."

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Mr E posted:

"PDP" is the rebrand of Pelican. So that should pretty much say it all.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Rain learning about teamwork.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Man, did this movie suck. :( The first film is still pretty good tho, even after all these years.Hell, it is still the best videogame movie to date.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Mr. Neutron posted:

Man, did this movie suck. :( The first film is still pretty good tho, even after all these years.Hell, it is still the best videogame movie to date.

The Van Damme Street Fighter movie is better.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Lambert or Van Damme... This is too hard a choice.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Raul Julia.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It took me a while to truly appreciate the cheesy greatness of Street Fighter, but when you do...well it's Tuesday.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I actually watched Mortal Kombat Annihilation for the first time yesterday. I knew it was going to be bad but hot drat did it blow past my expectations for just how bad it was. Final fight was close to the same level as the Power Rangers movie final fight.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Oh boy I hope the Doom Marine is a cameo character in this game.

Neo Rasa posted:

:wtc: Scorpion was always low/lowest tier in MK2 even when it was new. :) Scorpion/Reptile/Sub-Zero in general were very weak. His appeal was because this these games were out before taunting, massive amounts of dialogue, story modes, etc. were fully developed as a thing in fighting games, so just the fact that he screamed "GET OVER HERE!" and "COME HERE!" in coherent English during the actual fight and the concept of a move that moves the opponent around and disables the opponent made him the coolest thing ever. Also he had the easiest and most iconicfatality that, due to its lack of blood and comlpication was intact on every port of the game. He's a ninja, but then he's actually GHOST RIDER WHAAAAT.

This. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the original Mortal Kombat games were great because they were everything that nerdy 90s kids thought was awesome rolled together into a violent inferno of frenzied adolescent excitement. There are ninjas and one of the ninjas is a skeleton and one guy can punch the other guys in the balls and you have to fight a four-armed monster and a wizard and when you beat your opponent you can kill them!! Then as the series added more characters it just did more of that, now you can play as a robot who explodes to teleport and the bad guy is a huge skull head man with a sledgehammer and there's even more ninjas and one of the ninjas is a gross acid barfing monster and there's a guy with robot arms and and and

Scorpion is the poster boy for MK because he pretty much sums it up. He's a kitchen sink 90s kid comic book ultraviolent antihero. Nothing to lose! Family murdered by ninjas! Throws barbed harpoons at people! Teleports in a puff of hellfire! His face is secretly a burning skeleton face! Murders the bad guys by burning them alive! Was he secretly the bad guy all along?? Yes!! Everyone was the bad guy so now this bad guy can kill all the other bad guys and you can cheer for him!! He's like if Ghost Rider and the Punisher merged together into some sort of ninja version of Jason Voorhees with a snappy catchphrase and a really popular line of toys.

Azubah posted:

It took me a while to truly appreciate the cheesy greatness of Street Fighter, but when you do...well it's Tuesday.

Street Fighter and the Mario Bros movie are the only good video game movies.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Scorpion is the poster boy for MK

I always felt like that was some historical revisionism. Growing up everyone knew Sub-zero was the man and he was even the main focus of MK3(where scorpion was nowhere to be found) and also got his own spin off game. Then somewhere along the line it became official that Scorps was the top dog and that always left me scratching my head.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Evil Canadian posted:

I always felt like that was some historical revisionism. Growing up everyone knew Sub-zero was the man and he was even the main focus of MK3(where scorpion was nowhere to be found) and also got his own spin off game. Then somewhere along the line it became official that Scorps was the top dog and that always left me scratching my head.

The real takeaway here is that you can't discuss one without discussing the other because they are both the poster boy. Scorpion and Sub-zero are the #1 rival power couple in Mortal Kombat. Sometimes one of them takes the storytelling spotlight more (probably Sub-zero because Scorpion is a very simple skeleton man whose primary motivation is KILL ALL THE FUCKERS and if he feels conflicted about it he kills more fuckers), but the art usually focuses on one or the other, or on the two of them trying to kill each other (see MK9's starting screen).

Sub-zero is pretty cool and I think he has a more coherent design space than Scorpion, but Scorpion kind of embodies the EVERYTHING AT ONCE MORE VIOLENCE MORE SCREAMING MORE FIRE attitude of the MK series better imho. He's more cartoonishly, unrepentantly overwrought, much like all of Mortal Kombat.

What I'm saying here is that we'd better see a Scorpion + Sub-zero doomsday tag-team rolling over every idiot who stands in their way in this game :colbert:

e: seconding the earlier opinion that Human Smoke is pretty neat and I'd like to see more of him as well. Please get rid of his anime hair and staggeringly bad voice lines though.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I would totally get a Shaolin Monks spinoff with Scorpion and Sub-Zero.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Angry Diplomat posted:

e: seconding the earlier opinion that Human Smoke is pretty neat and I'd like to see more of him as well. Please get rid of his anime hair and staggeringly bad voice lines though.

I hate to tell you but those are both part of why he is pretty neat

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What time do they announce the announcement?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I hate to tell you but those are both part of why he is pretty neat

"Where there is smoke there is fire."

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Angry Diplomat posted:

The real takeaway here is that you can't discuss one without discussing the other because they are both the poster boy. Scorpion and Sub-zero are the #1 rival power couple in Mortal Kombat.

The Scorpion vs Subzero Debate has been settled by guys who REALLY love Mortal Kombat.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Evil Canadian posted:

I always felt like that was some historical revisionism. Growing up everyone knew Sub-zero was the man and he was even the main focus of MK3(where scorpion was nowhere to be found)

Scorpion was in MK3, but he was called Cyborg Smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

PunkBoy posted:

I would totally get a Shaolin Monks spinoff with Scorpion and Sub-Zero.

You probably know this already, but after you beat Shaolin Monks you can play as Scorpion and Sub-Zero. :3:

Scorpion's awesome because he totally gets revenge and kills Sub-Zero, but then realizes he was duped and becomes the protector of new Sub-Zero in MKII and up. Sub-Zero has the head rip, and most people will agree THAT fatality was like, THE thing that was in the news about the game when MK1 was new. But then in MK2 it was awesome because they gave him redone SNES MK1 fatality as his main one (freeze uppercut). Both own because both were among the first characters ever to have a special move that was legit "weird" because it didn't do a lot of damage but disabled the opponent. But then MKII also, there's three secret characters you could find and fight, Scorpion, Smoke and Noob Saibot. The latter two were just fast versions of Scorpion making him seem like more of the real deal. Plus Scorpion's place in the story always has him as alone dude and he wears bright yellow and is hyper violent and smolders (heh) with generic rage so he really was like the perfect summation of everything Mortal Kombat came to stand before, even becoming NetherRealm's logo. Original Sub-Zero's brother has a much bigger place in the story though.

• Locked thread