Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
You know, given the abysmal start by Scotland, keeping England to 303 is a drat fine effort. I think they've got a chance on this one if they come out and smartly attack the bowling and break England's spirit early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
This Coetzer guy is alright. Let's buy him.

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

Groundskeeper is a goon

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Coleman didn't quite cut the mustard.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

subroc posted:

Groundskeeper is a goon

For international viewers - since the quake Christchurch has a reputation for some of the most dynamic car parking solutions

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

subroc posted:

Groundskeeper is a goon

What am I missing here?

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Noxin of Shame posted:

What am I missing here?

It's happening

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Noxin of Shame posted:

What am I missing here?

you cant see the grass goatse in the pic?

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Scotland with nothing to lose blocking it out.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
It's happening.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

cpaf posted:

You joke, but that's what I was looking for :smh:

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

All hope is lost

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
I've woken up so surely the England collapse must be imminent.

Good to hear the commentators encouraging bowlers to bowl nothing but yorkers. We've had not much of that lately.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Skinty McEdger posted:

Its happening.

It is not.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
England really put the sword to Scotland.

Impressive game, great stuff.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

There is still over a month to go of this rubbish.

Also, 3 games in the last week of the tournament. The semis are on a Tuesday and Thursday :thumbsup:

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

Airstream Driver posted:

There is still over a month to go of this rubbish.

Also, 3 games in the last week of the tournament. The semis are on a Tuesday and Thursday :thumbsup:

When do the warmup games finish?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
The 2019 World Cup in England will only have ten teams - all teams play each other once, top four go to semis - so hopefully it will be a more concise affair.

Although actually counting it up now that means 48 games in 2019 vs 49 games in the 2015 tournament so never mind....

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

On the other hand the overall quality of those individual games will be much higher with all the minnows absent

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

cpaf posted:

It's a sailboat, one of those magic eye things

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

cpaf posted:

On the other hand the overall quality of those individual games will be much higher with all the minnows absent

Sorry to bring you the bad news, but England will be in CWC2019

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

tanglewood1420 posted:

The 2019 World Cup in England will only have ten teams - all teams play each other once, top four go to semis - so hopefully it will be a more concise affair.

Although actually counting it up now that means 48 games in 2019 vs 49 games in the 2015 tournament so never mind....
That's fairly close to the 1992 formula - only with one more team; actually it was originally 8 but South Africa were admitted at short notice. 36 round-robin games + 3 finals, all done in 32 days.

The associates only add to the tournament, I reckon.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Associates are fine. There should be 2 matches every day in the group stages. This one week break between games for a country is absurd.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They should be getting test teams to generally play more games against a wider variety of associate nations. Stick them around the current tours, in place of a couple of the dull ODIs they bloat them out with, or a warm-up match.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

re: Ireland, they'll never let them be a full member without a proper domestic first class and list a structure. If they'd had the type of money that has been donated to Bangladesh and Zimbabwe then they probably could've done by now of course, but we all know that won't happen.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Well hopefully SA got the choking out of their system. Hats off the India, but SA really seemed uninspired on the field and at bat on Saturday and India took full advantage of that. Still there was hope that SA could bat well but they were too busy throwing their wickets away and under performing.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Reset the clock. This thead has now gone 8 minutes without someone posting about South Africa choking while not understanding what it actually means.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
scotland choked last night against england

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

Moeen Ali had a little choke as well when he got out to that one ball on which he choked like a big old choker

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

serious gaylord posted:

Reset the clock. This thead has now gone 8 minutes without someone posting about South Africa choking while not understanding what it actually means.

It's the SA cricket team. It wouldn't be fair to write about them in the world cup and not mention "choking".

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

England's big problem is that they overmanage their players, especially their bowlers. Finn is living proof of that: he went from being genuinely good around 2010/11 to being dropped, having his action "fixed" when all he needed to do was move a foot away from the stumps; is then dropped and called "unselectable" in the media by ECB people and is now bowling 5-10MPH slower than he was a few years ago which takes away the thing that he had. You're starting to see it with Jamie Overton: he was genuinely good and fast in 2013 then is called into the England squad last winter, doesn't get a game and serves as a glorified net bowler and wasn't the same last year - he ended up back in the minor counties, for christ sake. He is still only 20 and will probably have a long England career; but you shouldn't call a teenager into your squad unless you actually mean to bowl them at least in a warmup game. Basically the England national team doesn't seem like the place for a young player to be if they actually want to be a good cricket player.

In summary, fire David Saker. You couldn't see Malinga playing for England bowling the way he always has, which is a real problem.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

IceAgeComing posted:

In summary, fire David Saker. You couldn't see Malinga playing for England bowling the way he always has, which is a real problem.

That's not a recent problem though or a problem restricted to just England, all of the "anglo" countries are a lot more conservative with bowling actions than the likes of Sri Lanka and Pakistan. England does have more of a problem with set-in-their-ways coaching though, like the back and across movement drilled into every English batsman that people are starting to question.

Saker probably does need to go though. I don't really give too much credit or criticism to bowling and batting coaches - cricket matches take a long time and at international level no one should need coaching on how to bowl every ball, but they do have some influence (bowling coaches more than batting coaches). He's been alright on the whole but it goes stale for everyone sooner or later.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Is Saker really the problem? Or is it the legion of idiots back at Loughborough that are constantly changing and 'adjusting' players techniques the second they get involved with the England set up. You're starting to see a production line of young batsmen with incredibly similar styles of batting all of a sudden.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Saker has said he'll be leaving in September when his contract is up anyway. There was talk of him looking at one of the state coaching jobs in Australia, but that was denied and he said he would definitely take a county coaching job if it was offered. Perhaps he can make a career of ruining young English bowlers.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
Cricket has slowed down this week - I'm just going to play Don Bradman Cricket 2014 and make my own World Cup and choke my way to a Cup win.

With Russia

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

IceAgeComing posted:

England's big problem is that they overmanage their players, especially their bowlers. Finn is living proof of that: he went from being genuinely good around 2010/11 to being dropped, having his action "fixed" when all he needed to do was move a foot away from the stumps; is then dropped and called "unselectable" in the media by ECB people and is now bowling 5-10MPH slower than he was a few years ago which takes away the thing that he had. You're starting to see it with Jamie Overton: he was genuinely good and fast in 2013 then is called into the England squad last winter, doesn't get a game and serves as a glorified net bowler and wasn't the same last year - he ended up back in the minor counties, for christ sake. He is still only 20 and will probably have a long England career; but you shouldn't call a teenager into your squad unless you actually mean to bowl them at least in a warmup game. Basically the England national team doesn't seem like the place for a young player to be if they actually want to be a good cricket player.

there seems to be a definite missing the forest for the trees trend happening with the management of the side. they seem to be so obsessed with screwing with each player that they havent actually come up with an overall plan for what they want the side to look like when they put all those players together as a team. boycott summed it up well the other day that this coaching team has been in charge for like a year or however long its been and they still dont know what they want the side to look and play like. you'd think in the tri-series against india and australia they would use that as a template to get the group playing together a certain way, but as soon as the world cup starts the first thing they do is gently caress around with the team lineup and batting order. it just reeks of incompetence and people who dont know what theyre doing

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

auzdark posted:

Cricket has slowed down this week

It must be the only sport where this can be said in the middle of a world cup. :regd08: but loving hell the scheduling is absurd.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

I hear that the next world cup schedule is going to have India play Australia three times a week throughout the first round, just to keep the advertising revenue flowing in, while all the actual games happen untelevised.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

that's not quite true actually

there's a couple of India-Pakistan games in the middle of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

They will also give them automatic qualification to the final since they had to miss all of the round robin games.