Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Mr. Fowl posted:

Dunno. I mean, they sort of all left. If they don't come back, he can be king of Mars. If they do...who could stop him?

Actually, I would imagine his own attention span would stop him.

I think all the Martians are just gonna go home since G4 diverted Martin's ship. Star Man told Evacuation Man that it was okay to come back, and Magic Man is next in line for the throne, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
A reluctant magic jerk ruler ep in the future? I'm game!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

I'm going to an Adventure Time watch party tonight and I realized that we'll probably just end up watching whatever we can find, which is lame! Anyone have suggestions for a watch list? This was me trying my best to narrow it down to three episodes per season. I think most of the people there won't be into continuity so I tried to cut down on a lot of those episodes except the ones I couldn't help.

Evicted!
Dungeon
Freak City

It Came from the Nightosphere
Susan Strong
The Pods

Hitman
Too Young
What Was Missing

Goliad
Princess Cookie
BMO Noire

Mystery Dungeon
BMO Lost
Puhoy

Thanks for the Crabapples, Giuseppe!
Something Big
Little Brother

Can't go wrong with We Fixed a Truck.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Also, I was going through all of the Lich's speeches (because Ron Perlman rules) and I remembered that all the way back in the Enchiridion episode, there's some vaguely lich-like skeleton dude who has the same kind of power to take Finn into the darkness. Was being able to resist the Lich's words one of the things that made Finn deserving of the Enchiridion in the first place?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dolash posted:

Like, if they were writing the last season then Betty doing something to save the Ice King (or give him a final sendoff) could happen, while if they're not then they'll have Betty do something that just keeps the ball rolling in some new direction.

She's working on it.
Jake The Brick.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What the what? Several days after the episode aired and there is no three pages long screed about evils of consumerism and capitalism? I guess the episode didn't have enough rape or penises to warrant the usual levels of overanalysation. Basically, a good episode.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Paladinus posted:

What the what? Several days after the episode aired and there is no three pages long screed about evils of consumerism and capitalism? I guess the episode didn't have enough rape or penises to warrant the usual levels of overanalysation. Basically, a good episode.

Who are we to condemn their weird, ancient ways?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Have a Rebecca Sugar drawing.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm confused. Sure, Susan Strong is a cyborg, but how did that confirm her human/Hyooman status?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Mameluke posted:

I'm confused. Sure, Susan Strong is a cyborg, but how did that confirm her human/Hyooman status?

She dun have gills.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Paladinus posted:

No need to debate the obvious.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
I initially dismissed this episode as a copy of the Futurama Slurm episode, but upon rewatch it holds up pretty well. Good animation and the character design on the Porp mutants was nice and creepy. It's certainly not in my top ten favorite episodes, but it was solid.

M3V
Jul 26, 2012

♪ toot ♪
Hey Somberbrero, I recommend "Play Date" because I think your list is lacking in Ice King representation. He's SO DREAMY. :allears:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The mute girl is apparently called Sally.

Also, where did the porp come from?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Say Nothing posted:

The mute girl is apparently called Sally.

From pure porp syrup, duh. :v:

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Say Nothing posted:

This is where I thought this episode was going to riff off of the Slurm episode and have it be grape flavored toxic ooze (which honestly it still could be), but the direction they went was much better.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Yes, they implied that it was made from children ('when the child is processed' was something Cheryl said, IIRC), so it's cool they didn't actually go with it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the child was going to be processed into another cheryl though

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Brand recognition!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Tollymain posted:

the child was going to be processed into another cheryl though

That was the reveal. The red herring was a possible secret ingredient (children).

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style
Weren' t they going to get special Red Porp after the baby was processed?

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Naw I think the employee said reg[ular]

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

MariusLecter posted:

Brand recognition!

The commercials thread is currently talking about why Coke has to advertise, and someone brought up this story, which is relevant for this episode.

Barudak posted:

Ever heard of Moxie soda? It was a soda so popular and ad campaign so ubiquitous that its name is an English word for daring and had presidents declaring it their favored drink and was #1 in the US for decades. In the 1930s they decided to heavily reduce advertising assuming everyone would still buy it in order to use those savings to expand their sugar reserves. Sales declined so sharply during that period that they fell behind Coke and Pepsi, by the 1960s it appearing as a background joke in Mad Magazine caused a 10% sales spike and by today you'd be hard pressed to find a bottle of it almost anywhere in the country.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

As has already been said in the commercials thread, Moxie is a regional soda in New England that tastes extremely bitter compared to contemporary colas. It's an acquired taste mostly enjoyed by the same kind of people who would call it "a tonic."

It has modernization problems beyond lack of brand awareness.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Writh posted:

Weren' t they going to get special Red Porp after the baby was processed?

And so Mountain Dew Code Red's dark secrets come to light...

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Jack Gladney posted:

As has already been said in the commercials thread, Moxie is a regional soda in New England that tastes extremely bitter compared to contemporary colas. It's an acquired taste mostly enjoyed by the same kind of people who would call it "a tonic."

Also, the internet and social media didn't really exist back when they decided to pull advertising for it, so it's not like the power of word of mouth was remotely the same back then.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there a defined demographic for people who loathe advertising to the point of avoiding widely-advertised brands out of spite

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Tollymain posted:

is there a defined demographic for people who loathe advertising to the point of avoiding widely-advertised brands out of spite

Hipsters?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

That's the easy answer, but everyone who knows anything about marketing and advertising can see that 'hipsters' have their own brands they gravitate to.

The real answer prolly lies in the way of goony anti-society types, not young trendy people.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

nutranurse posted:

That's the easy answer, but everyone who knows anything about marketing and advertising can see that 'hipsters' have their own brands they gravitate to.

The real answer prolly lies in the way of goony anti-society types, not young trendy people.

I kind of feel like there are different kinds of hipsters though. Like many are definitely "trendy" types, who definitely gravitate toward their own brands, abandoning things when they get too big, but there is definitely a type that rejects even that much, and will only/mostly buy things from second hand shops or stuff that is some how hand made by someone else whenever possible. They are like, the older school hipsters, before it was "cool" to be a hipster. The hipsters of hipsterdom. I'd imagine they are a very small group though.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

ToastyPotato posted:

I kind of feel like there are different kinds of hipsters though. Like many are definitely "trendy" types, who definitely gravitate toward their own brands, abandoning things when they get too big, but there is definitely a type that rejects even that much, and will only/mostly buy things from second hand shops or stuff that is some how hand made by someone else whenever possible. They are like, the older school hipsters, before it was "cool" to be a hipster. The hipsters of hipsterdom. I'd imagine they are a very small group though.

If you took everyone's opinion on what a hipster is you'd just end up with "whatever the kids are doing these days". I'm pretty sure there have been people who've refused to buy a product out of spite long before hipsters were ever a thing.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

The word hipster has basically no meaning besides "kids these days!! :bahgawd:"

I don't think anti-consumerism or hatred of commercials is confined to any particular subculture, it's a pretty widespread sentiment IMO.

Edit ^ what he said

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
So is the thread consensus that this season is working up to reveal that Susan Strong is Finn's mother and Martin put the metallic thing her head, inhibiting her memory and speech?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Jack Gladney posted:

Moxie is boss. It's almost like a Tutti Frutti coke with craptons of Angostura Bitters.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

7seven7 posted:

So is the thread consensus that this season is working up to reveal that Susan Strong is Finn's mother and Martin put the metallic thing her head, inhibiting her memory and speech?

That's what they want you to think!

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Isn't Susan way too young to be Finn's mum? She doesn't seem that much older than Finn, just ridiculously buff as hell.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, she certainly doesn't seem close to Martin's age.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Why are you guys spoiling speculation?

Clearly Susan Strong is a super solider test candidate.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
There are a million ways they can go with Susan.

Maybe she's Finn's mom.

Maybe she's not.

Maybe she was originally intended to be Finn's mom but then they decided to change it.

Maybe she wasn't and vice versa.

Maybe she isn't and they just want us to think she is.

If she's Finn's mom, why is she so young?

Maybe it was some super soldier serum.

Maybe it was a potion.

Maybe she's a clone.

Maybe it's magic.

Maybe she isn't young but just seems like it because of whatever Planet of the Apes lobotomy she had.

This show being what it is, they can come up with almost any explanation possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
She's the valeyard

• Locked thread