Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Cake Attack posted:

bottom of the well is kinda dumb

It's dumb in that it's pointless back and forth but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Everything they need (except for the red potion) can be gotten elsewhere in the well. All things considered it can be burned through in ~30 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Being able to talk to enemies is a really cool mechanic, even if it's not as good an area as the one beneath OoT's well.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

It's dumb in that it's pointless back and forth but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Everything they need (except for the red potion) can be gotten elsewhere in the well. All things considered it can be burned through in ~30 minutes.
I think you also need to bring in the magic beans.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

I think you also need to bring in the magic beans.

Oh yeah, you're right. That as well.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

haveblue posted:

Being able to talk to enemies is a really cool mechanic, even if it's not as good an area as the one beneath OoT's well.
Nothing is scarier to a small child than playing that game by yourself and just walking into the room where long arms are reaching out of the ground for no reason.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but getting the gibdo mask (though fairly easy) is one of the most :catstare: moments in the series

I almost can't believe they put something that intense in a game for children

I like that if you come back to him wearing it he'll say that he's oddly drawn to it and wants you to leave it there so he can study it. Sort of an indication of how he got that way in the first place.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think it would be hard for me to pick favorite dungeons because so many of them are good, but I definitely think Stone Tower Temple, the Forest Temple from Ocarina of Time and the Ice Palace from A Link to the Past would be up there.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I can't pick a favorite total but I can pick a favorite per game: Forest Temple in OoT, Stone Tower in MM, Wind Temple in WW, Snowpeak Ruins in TP. I didn't finish SS so I don't have much of an opinion.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

IronicDongz posted:

I can't pick a favorite total but I can pick a favorite per game: Forest Temple in OoT, Stone Tower in MM, Wind Temple in WW, Snowpeak Ruins in TP. I didn't finish SS so I don't have much of an opinion.

It would probably be the water temple with the underworld, though the boss there lasts about three cycles too long.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Bicyclops posted:

Some of my favorite moments in Ocarina of Time were always the in-between things, anyway, like delivering things for the Biggoron sword, killing Poes, and delivering masks, but most of it involved galloping across Hyrule Field, whereas Majora's Mask feels more like its teeming with life. I think the dungeons in both games are pretty great, but besides Stone Temple, the MM ones are oddly absent the creepy, long-dead feeling I got from most of the adult dungeons in OoT, so I definitely enjoy Clocktown more.

My Zelda pipe dream is Nintendo going all in on the MM formula. Kill off all puzzle dungeons, make a huge overworld with lots of detailed NPCs. Make the focus on overworld exploration and NPC interaction. I know many would disagree with me but after playing MM I realized that the dungeons are the least fun part of Zelda games and that MM is stronger with its fewer dungeons.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

For me it's the Shadow Temple from Ocarina of Time, Snowpeak Ruins from Twilight Princess and the Ancient Cistern from Skyward Sword. I don't have any particular favorite from Majora's Mask or Wind Waker.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

dungeons are good

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I definitely remember the bosses of Skyward Sword more fondly than the dungeons, and without replaying it, I can't be sure if one of the best dungeons isn't in fact one of the overworld areas.

Hikaki posted:

My Zelda pipe dream is Nintendo going all in on the MM formula. Kill off all puzzle dungeons, make a huge overworld with lots of detailed NPCs. Make the focus on overworld exploration and NPC interaction. I know many would disagree with me but after playing MM I realized that the dungeons are the least fun part of Zelda games and that MM is stronger with its fewer dungeons.

I think there's room for both kinds of things. I would love for a game that's no dungeon or combat, but they'd have to spend the proper amount of time developing it, because it can be easy for those to devolve into a series of mini-games with awkward controls. The disadvantage of the dungeon/get item/fight boss format is that it can get samey, but at least they're used to it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bicyclops posted:

I definitely remember the bosses of Skyward Sword more fondly than the dungeons, and without replaying it, I can't be sure if one of the best dungeons isn't in fact one of the overworld areas.

The best part of Skyward Sword is sailing on the Sandsea, so yeah, it kinda is.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
If you count the other mini labyrinths there's:

woodfall
snowhead
pirate's fortress
ikana castle
under the well
stone tower
the moon

I'm probably forgetting one or two, but the big difference is that they're all designed to be completed within a regular cycle of time, so none of them end up being overly long. Also, the overworld is vastly more robust, as many people have pointed out, and there's actually stuff to do with your rupees other than let the counter sit at 999 for the whole game.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Bicyclops posted:

I think there's room for both kinds of things. I would love for a game that's no dungeon or combat, but they'd have to spend the proper amount of time developing it, because it can be easy for those to devolve into a series of mini-games with awkward controls. The disadvantage of the dungeon/get item/fight boss format is that it can get samey, but at least they're used to it.

I liked the Ancient Cistern. Had a nice Hindu style to it and a lovely juxtaposition of light and dark. Plus Koloktos loving owned, music and all.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Koloktos is acceptable, because I remember that after I learned his patterns, he did not give me too much trouble during the boss run. Once in awhile that Kraken guy would really hit me though, and the second Imprisoned battle would really gently caress me up. All in all they were really cool bosses, even if the Thunder Dragon made me want to destroy them utterly so that they could never come back.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
I would legit play an entire game of rooms from the Tower of Spirits in Spirit Tracks

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Four Swords Adventures is kind of Legend of Zelda: all dungeon all the time, and it was a lot of fun.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Tentalus owns. I was running around the ship with giant tentacles coming out of everywhere, came up on deck and suddenly

goofiest looking boss in the game.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Nihilarian posted:

Tentalus owns. I was running around the ship with giant tentacles coming out of everywhere, came up on deck and suddenly

Tie between it and the Imprisoned for me. It's like the Muppets leaked into a Zelda game. :v:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Nihilarian posted:

That is literally the child of Mike and Celia from Monsters Inc.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

larchesdanrew posted:

drat

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

larchesdanrew posted:

Holy poo poo. :eyepop:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Bicyclops posted:

Four Swords Adventures is kind of Legend of Zelda: all dungeon all the time, and it was a lot of fun.
What's criminal is that Four Swords Adventures came out trying to push GBA-GC connectivity, but it was hard to get working because of the hardware and set-up requirements; whereas now Nintendo has the technology to do it seamlessly via the Gamepad and online, but probably never will.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Chaltab posted:

What's criminal is that Four Swords Adventures came out trying to push GBA-GC connectivity, but it was hard to get working because of the hardware and set-up requirements; whereas now Nintendo has the technology to do it seamlessly via the Gamepad and online, but probably never will.

I'm shocked they didn't try it again with the Wii/DS. I wouldn't be shocked if someone at Nintendo has tried to propose doing it again and an executive keeps killing the idea citing poor sales of the original as a reason why it's a bad idea. They really should try it again with the Wii U. The Gamepad would make it much more accessible.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Spacebump posted:

I'm shocked they didn't try it again with the Wii/DS. I wouldn't be shocked if someone at Nintendo has tried to propose doing it again and an executive keeps killing the idea citing poor sales of the original as a reason why it's a bad idea. They really should try it again with the Wii U. The Gamepad would make it much more accessible.

If they were ever going to try again, now is perfect. As said, we already have the Gamepad, and almost everyone has at least 1 3DS lying around. Try again Nintendo!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

Stop reading my entries on fanfiction.net.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Nihilarian posted:

BET YOU CAN'T GUESS WHERE MY WEAK POINT IS

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
it's the tits

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Majora's Mask is the best Zelda I've played and I can't believe it took me this long to play it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Nothing is scarier to a small child than playing that game by yourself and just walking into the room where long arms are reaching out of the ground for no reason.

Don't go to the bathroom in the middle of the night...

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The best final dungeon is the one from Skyward Sword.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nihilarian posted:

I loved the curveball that dungeon threw at you. Going into the Boss Room meant nothing, and you immediately had to backtrack out as Tentalus began sinking the whole goddamn dungeon ship :allears:

PantsBandit posted:

Worth noting though that this can be a little weird in Great Bay, where a couple of rooms will not cause the mask to sparkle even though there is a fairy remaining.

Worked just fine for me while hunting them in MM3D :shrug:. The other thing to note is you don't have to look at floaty particles on the Great Fairy Mask - just watch the ponytails. If there's one in the room, they'll be floating about instead of just hanging straight down when you stand still.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 24, 2015

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Chieves posted:

The best final dungeon is the one from Skyward Sword.

Every best dungeon is in Skyward Sword, but the last one is especially great.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Spacebump posted:

They made the friggin' Virtual Boy and Power Glove again and they sold pretty well.

Evil Eagle posted:

Every best dungeon is in Skyward Sword, but the last one is especially great.

Twilight Princess had way better dungeons once you got the Master Sword :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

axeil posted:

They made the friggin' Virtual Boy and Power Glove again and they sold pretty well.

The difference is that this time they actually worked. :v:.

Or at the very least didn't burn your retinas out after five minutes.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The difference is that this time they actually worked. :v:.

Or at the very least didn't burn your retinas out after five minutes.

The Power Glove worked...sorta.

It's just that the wiimote is a more sensible version of it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Worked just fine for me while hunting them in MM3D :shrug:. The other thing to note is you don't have to look at floaty particles on the Great Fairy Mask - just watch the ponytails. If there's one in the room, they'll be floating about instead of just hanging straight down when you stand still.

The ones in particular I'm thinking of are Under the platform in the first room and under the central platform in the final room. I had to look at a walkthrough for those because I literally checked every single room with the GFM and didn't get any sparkles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PantsBandit posted:

The ones in particular I'm thinking of are Under the platform in the first room and under the central platform in the final room. I had to look at a walkthrough for those because I literally checked every single room with the GFM and didn't get any sparkles.

I definitely had sparkles for those, because I got stuck on them too.

• Locked thread