Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Thanks Contra, read through. I like the CMC doing this because of Newman forcing them off of corruption, and maybe its a justifying its job to the new state government. Also like this article, though I'd be surprises if the Suns don't start sinking after a couple years with Ablett getting older.

quote:

The more likely situation is that the Titans will be forced to play – at least part of the season – without Greg Bird, Dave Taylor, Beau Falloon, Kalifa Faifai-Loa and Jamie Dowling. The latter two were unlikely to play regular first grade. Bird, Taylor and Falloon though are ranked among the Titans’ best half-dozen players. Bird has 15 Tests and 16 Origins to his name while Taylor has risen to Australian honours and has played eight Origins for Queensland. Falloon won the Paul Broughton Medal in 2014. With Nate Myles, Aiden Sezer, Ryan James and recruit Josh Hoffman, these players were the core the club were relying on. No club has the depth to cover for their absence. The Titans certainly don’t.

All five Titans charged face not only prison sentences but four-year ASADA-enforced drug bans if found guilty. Bird faces the strong possibility of being sacked regardless given his long-running off-field issues that have seen him face domestic violence charges stripped of the captaincy this offseason.

The nuclear disaster scenario has more players charged – and then found guilty – as fans continue to abandon a team that has failed to perform on the field or off it. There is a very real possibility that the club will have no choice but to sack those who are found guilty, leaving an already shaky roster to be filled by cast-offs, reserve graders and kids. It is a blow the club – with declining support, a castrated brand, no sponsor and financial struggles – cannot afford.

The NRL has relied on the Titans to win the battle of the Gold Coast with the AFL and the Suns. It is a battle they are losing and losing heavily. In times of war the best option can be to retreat and regroup. It is something David Smith and the league must consider.

There are options. British billionaire Marwan Koukash has expressed interest in the Titans if they can be relocated to Brisbane. Perth and Wellington have also put forward strong cases for teams. The league could, of course, put more money into the club, propping it up.

While the NRL should only view relocation as a doomsday option, the day of reckoning may not be far off for the Titans. How much more has to go wrong – on and off the field - before a viable rugby league team on the holiday strip is deemed beyond salvation? Another scandal, another wooden spoon, another decline in crowds and we may just find out.

http://gu.com/p/4636y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
The dealing/trafficking charges seem like a beat up, but these guys might just be too stupid to know how to stay out of trouble.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
It does frustrate me that if you took a random sample of 400 18-30 year old tradies or stockbrokers or whatever and kept track of the dramas they got into it would be similar if not more than what the NRL guys do. The spotlight is on NRL players though and they need to be less dumb/at least not get caught.

edit: well except for the beastiality :negative:

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 23, 2015

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jono C posted:

The dealing/trafficking charges seem like a beat up, but these guys might just be too stupid to know how to stay out of trouble.

As I read it they're basically being charged with supply for picking up a bit extra for a mate when they were scoring. Hardly breaking bad territory.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Smorgasbord posted:

It does frustrate me that if you took a random sample of 400 18-30 year old tradies or stockbrokers or whatever and kept track of the dramas they got into it would be similar if not more than what the NRL guys do. The spotlight is on NRL players though and they need to be less dumb/at least not get caught.

edit: well except for the beastiality :negative:

And the point is that they have seen plenty of their contemporaries go down for the dumbest of poo poo. So the answer should be don't do dumb poo poo while you're an active player.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Hey if it worked for Joey...

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I love the Daily Telegraph.

THEY never found her body. But her killers would reveal how they had kidnapped her, tortured her, repeatedly raped her, decapitated her, then played soccer with her head.

Middle class Westerners, some of them quite possibly Australian professional footballers, enjoyed the cocaine trafficked by these animals.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Mills posted:

I love the Daily Telegraph.

THEY never found her body. But her killers would reveal how they had kidnapped her, tortured her, repeatedly raped her, decapitated her, then played soccer with her head.

Middle class Westerners, some of them quite possibly Australian professional footballers, enjoyed the cocaine trafficked by these animals.

:wtc:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You know the telegraph isn't a newspaper right?

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Zoo Magazine has more integrity than the Telegraph

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

So the NRL has taken over the Titans.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They'd be hosed otherwise

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

was the fella from the iSelect Ads the old Titans CEO?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Should I go into public relations for the NRL? seems like there is enough work available

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I keep hearing the drug scandal is going to blow up to massive proportions in the next 48 hours

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

But what are the odds that it's just like the rumours that were flying during the Ryan Tandy scandal? Everyone and his dog was supposed to be banned for that.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Jono C posted:

But what are the odds that it's just like the rumours that were flying during the Ryan Tandy scandal? Everyone and his dog was supposed to be banned for that.

The NRL wouldn't ban dogs, the players have needs.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

NRL players love anything that fits the pattern d*gs.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Meanwhile, Jarryd Hayne is on his way to the league plagued with a whole other set of issues.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Broncos are supposed to be the next club in the cocaine crisis, we just don't know if it's current or former players or both

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

It's so refreshing to not be the one supporting the club in crisis for once. That being said, I fully expect the Tigers to lose to the Titans in round one. I'm already working out my best cocaine jokes to yell at the crowd at the game :D

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

iajanus posted:

It's so refreshing to not be the one supporting the club in crisis for once. That being said, I fully expect the Tigers to lose to the Titans in round one. I'm already working out my best cocaine jokes to yell at the crowd at the game :D

All we could muster this year is some hepatitis. A shameful display.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

iajanus posted:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...62188c11c31a20c

only a matter of time until you guys south of the border get roped in. Unless the NRL have bribed the NSW police in another south of the tweed conspiracy

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

bowmore posted:

Broncos are supposed to be the next club in the cocaine crisis, we just don't know if it's current or former players or both

The NRL mole said the drama would be heading south, though that could either mean he was completely wrong or has a fundamentally incorrect understanding of Australian geography.

Darren Lockyer's name gets thrown around a lot re: recreational drugs, in my experience, and I guess he'd be one of the two big QLD origin names they're talking about, in addition to (complete guess) Alan Langer.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Thaiday Hodges Lockyer

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Dont be suprised if player manager george mimis and gasniers name gets thrown in there somehow.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I love my good god-fearing Warriors, they almost never do anything wrong. At least off the field anyway.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Ewar Woowar posted:

I love my good god-fearing Warriors, they almost never do anything wrong. At least off the field anyway.

Yeah the 'no dickheads' policy is mostly successful.

edit: ownership excepted

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I can't see any players at the Warriors I don't like, probably why I go for them over any team when my own team isn't playing.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Mills posted:

Thaiday Hodges Lockyer

This prediction is racist towards both indigenous Australians and towards whatever alien species Darren Lockyer and Ian Macfarlane belong to

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

idgi unless its a parody of those ridiculous comments that people are being sexist against triggs, but what an odd thread to bring that up in

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Auspol sure has conditioned you to be v. defensive :(

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

im not defensive, ill cut you

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
mills isn't defensive, he's offensive

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the smile and Mohawk is back :black101: going to get that 4th Dally M this year.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Speaking of Warriors, former-Warrior Kevin Locke is reportedly on the verge of signing with the Scottish Rugby Union, the intention being to fast-track him into the national side and possibly in their 2015 Rugby World Cup squad.

http://www.espnscrum.com/scotland/rugby/story/257399.html

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Next week: Kevin Locke suffers a fate worse than death (playing RU for Scotland)

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
My missus will be shattered. She like kevin and was hoping he would return.

My manly mate is spewing about foran to eels. It has been glorious to witness the hate consume him.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

bowmore posted:

the smile and Mohawk is back :black101: going to get that 4th Dally M this year.

That's actually newcastle's latest signing Wayne Brady

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
Watching Tigers fans in this thread is like watching Demons fans in the AFL thread, except I'm not one of them. It's kind of fun!

• Locked thread