Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Bob Odenkirk with curly hair photoshopped on looks scarily like Adam Sandler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Supercar Gautier posted:

Can't unsee.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Ahhhhhh

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I just watched the sneak peek scene from the next episode and it's already so perfect out of context that it doesn't even need an episode surrounding it.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
That episode was incredible. Wasn't sure last week but this was a ton of fun.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

PassTheRemote posted:

Jimmy even said it was just beer money.

I'm guessing the slipping in the winter takes care of most of the bills, with smaller cons the rest of the year to keep in beer and pot money.

Yep, Jimmy even tells the skateboarding kids that they picked a good racket because they could skateboard year-round.

Loving this so far. I was rooting for Jimmy/Saul even when I realized the sign guy thing was a set up. What a ride!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I just love that "Hey I need to get a newspaper article written about me" is a plotpoint in a show released in 2015. If it were set contemporaneously, Saul would just be trying to trend on Twitter or something and that would be lame in comparison.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I can't wait for Chuck to get killed by a tuco gang member named Cellphones.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Supercar Gautier posted:

I see Dustin Hoffman.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Very good episode. Looking forward to Saul meeting new clients, based on the preview it should be pretty drat good. I also love that Saul already has the same level of bitterness that Walt had. He gets his first big score, but he's told that he's the type of lawyer that guilty people hire (by obviously guilty people, but still). Because of that, and because he hates Hamlin, he uses basically all the money on the clothes and the billboard to both change the public's impression of him and to stick it to Hamlin. Then once he gets called out on it, like he knew he would, he comes up with the hero con to really get his name out there.

It's no secret that Saul wants to be the type of lawyer his brother was, wearing expensive suits and making big bucks defending people, but alas he's destined to be a criminal lawyer. The joy of this show is watching him try to do the right thing while heading down the wrong path.

I really hope there's at least one or two episodes where he represent someone who is legitimately very, very innocent and not a criminal at all, just to see how he reacts to and handles that. Bonus points if they're found guilty and he loses faith in the justice system as something to respect, and starts seeing it as something he can abuse.

Negative_Kittens
Apr 8, 2008

[ASK] me about multiple personality disorders
So while my roommate was searching for the billboard image on the internet during a commercial break (so we could call the number, "Nacho, leave it..." earlier was priceless), he found this advert for an ALBQ law firm capitalizing on BB and BCS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2963IcfBLew

Do NOT Call Saul is the title...

Negative_Kittens fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 24, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

echronorian posted:

That episode was incredible. Wasn't sure last week but this was a ton of fun.

I loved last week's episode but this weeks is my new favorite of the series so far.

It also proves it can do comedy very well by providing some of the best laugh out loud moments I've seen in ages. That super intense "crazy person cam' and dramatic mission to get the newspaper turning into some old lady watching a crazy dude wearing a space blanket cape steal her paper...

Data Graham posted:

Jeeez, either they set up an electric winch to help pull the one guy up, or...

You don't just pull someone up a cliff one-armed by the fingers no matter how many times it happens in movies. Jimmy would have gone right off the edge before the other guy lifted an inch.

What I love is when watching that scene I noticed they did.. but it was also in character that they did, not an exposed stunt. You could see Jimmy NOT quite grabbing the other guy as the other guy was just automatically being dragged up. So you're absolutely right.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 24, 2015

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
It was essentially mirroring Jesse's freak out when he was hitting the pipe in season 1 and those Mormon missionary folks come a knocking.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Supercar Gautier posted:

Over/under on a Tonight Show skit? Jimmy Fallon in a blonde wig. But watching live I kept seeing Sandler as well.

e:

NowonSA posted:

Because of that, and because he hates Hamlin, he uses basically all the money on the clothes and the billboard to both change the public's impression of him and to stick it to Hamlin. Then once he gets called out on it, like he knew he would, he comes up with the hero con to really get his name out there.

No way, that was the plan from the beginning. The whole point of the opening con was to set us up the billboard con. That's why he made it so blatant, he knew he'd be ordered to take it down. poo poo was a multi-stage long con :getin:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 24, 2015

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Data Graham posted:

I can't stop thinking about the Tom Goes to the Mayor "Gentleman's Perm" when Jimmy talks about the Spartacus hairstyle. :v:

I was thinking the exact same thing. :aaaaa: Part of me thinks that Bob Odenkirk was channeling his past work on Tom. He was hitting a bong in the opening so... "The Wizz is totally high on weed right now!" :420:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I found it amusing that the billboard guy had safety gear called FALL TECH, so I googled it and sure enough it's a real company. What a name.

Also, how about that cheesy 80's network TV action/drama music when Jimmy was going up the billboard :haw:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 24, 2015

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Betsy Kettleman has some bazookas, now that I notice :eyepop:

http://zippy.gfycat.com/WhichSlowAfghanhound.webm

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
The last two episodes really convinced me that this is a good show that can stand on its own merit. I'm happy they dedicated themselves to make quality television, considering lazily phoning it in would've probably resulted in roughly the same ratings at a third of the effort, considering BB's popularity.

Raxivace posted:

I just love that "Hey I need to get a newspaper article written about me" is a plotpoint in a show released in 2015. If it were set contemporaneously, Saul would just be trying to trend on Twitter or something and that would be lame in comparison.

Yeah, past-decade electronics and media really lend themselves better for dramatic television. There's just more steps involved where things can go wrong, which is always good for storytelling. Or maybe I'm a grampa.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The Space blanket scene was so good.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Takes No Damage posted:

No way, that was the plan from the beginning. The whole point of the opening con was to set us up the billboard con. That's why he made it so blatant, he knew he'd be ordered to take it down. poo poo was a multi-stage long con :getin:

Ah, yeah I suppose the hero con could have been in the works from the start of the billboard. Jimmy is running an impressive amount of cons already, it'll be interesting to see how much further he takes it before he goes "legit" as Saul. I'm interested in seeing how he pulls of such a complete name change/makeover and stays in the same town, I doubt it's as simple as him legally changing his name. Guy has to be running from something, but at the same time how can you be running when your face is on T.V. ads all over the place?

Blazing Ownager posted:

What I love is when watching that scene I noticed they did.. but it was also in character that they did, not an exposed stunt. You could see Jimmy NOT quite grabbing the other guy as the other guy was just automatically being dragged up. So you're absolutely right.

That's a great catch as well, I totally didn't notice it but it makes sense that they'd have a motor set up to pull him up, then Jimmy just hits a button out of sight and "pulls" him up. I totally bought him holding his shoulder afterwards too. So it works if the audience is attentive and if they don't notice it.

Man this show's awesome.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 24, 2015

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
I like this show. The writing team really does 'poor middle aged people hosed by life' well.

I'd love them to take on a woman protagonist sometime. Add those small poor women-specific injustices that add up, too, such as smaller pay for equal work, shoes that gently caress up your spine, being expected to treat your career as somehow less than your partner's, being expected to take care of both the career and the home, the way you're either treated to sexist comments when you're dressed attractively or treated like a lesser being when not, or, god forbid, being middle-aged, female and slightly overweight. I have a feeling that they could pull off the visceralness of how, repeated day after day, this can drain a person.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Negative_Kittens posted:

So while my roommate was searching for the billboard image on the internet during a commercial break (so we could call the number, "Nacho, leave it..." earlier was priceless), he found this advert for an ALBQ law firm capitalizing on BB and BCS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2963IcfBLew

Do NOT Call Saul is the title...

I hope they aren't infringing on Saul's trademark Saulbedo font color :argh:.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

meristem posted:

I like this show. The writing team really does 'poor middle aged people hosed by life' well.

I'd love them to take on a woman protagonist sometime. Add those small poor women-specific injustices that add up, too, such as smaller pay for equal work, shoes that gently caress up your spine, being expected to treat your career as somehow less than your partner's, being expected to take care of both the career and the home, the way you're either treated to sexist comments when you're dressed attractively or treated like a lesser being when not, or, god forbid, being middle-aged, female and slightly overweight. I have a feeling that they could pull off the visceralness of how, repeated day after day, this can drain a person.
Better call Kim? Sounds great, but America isn't ready.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

NowonSA posted:

Ah, yeah I suppose the hero con could have been in the works from the start of the billboard. Jimmy is running an impressive amount of cons already, it'll be interesting to see how much further he takes it before he goes "legit" as Saul. I'm interested in seeing how he pulls of such a complete name change/makeover and stays in the same town, I doubt it's as simple as him legally changing his name. Guy has to be running from something, but at the same time how can you be running when your face is on T.V. ads all over the place?

I'm having trouble getting a bead on how much of a chessmaster he really is though. I can buy that the billboard/hero thing was a long con no problem; that's the whole synopsis of the plot of the episode as a self-contained story after all. (It's what I will point to as an example of how to do it right whenever someone says something else in some other show was a long con that was just really really subtle you guys.) But in the middle of it, the details don't often seem to go his way. Was it part of the con that none of his media contacts would take his calls? He explicitly had to come up with the idea of hiring a film student only upon seeing that UMN jacket.

He has to be great at coming up with long con concepts and at improvising in the moment, I guess is the point.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I think he was just trying to get any news camera there. It certainly wasn't his first choice but a good con always has a few contingency plans.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

lifts cats over head posted:

I think he was just trying to get any news camera there. It certainly wasn't his first choice but a good con always has a few contingency plans.

When he hit on UNM, he had given up on an actual news camera, and realized that any camera, in combination with a 911 call would do. That's why he paid the kids, under the pretense he was going to record a package to send out as a release - it didn't actually matter, so long as somebody was taping who didn't know him and could sell video to the real newscasts.

But yeah, before coming up with that take, he was just calling every reporter in town in hopes that one would be on hand for his big stunt. He's good, but his plan wasn't perfect.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CaptainPsyko posted:

When he hit on UNM, he had given up on an actual news camera, and realized that any camera, in combination with a 911 call would do. That's why he paid the kids, under the pretense he was going to record a package to send out as a release - it didn't actually matter, so long as somebody was taping who didn't know him and could sell video to the real newscasts.

But yeah, before coming up with that take, he was just calling every reporter in town in hopes that one would be on hand for his big stunt. He's good, but his plan wasn't perfect.

Oh, hmm.. I actually figured that he had the con planned out well in advance, and that he finally had to resort to amateur video. I mean, he puts up the ripoff billboard knowing that it'll get taken down, and then he'll have his hero moment during the takedown. ABQ news would be the best people to have caught that originally, but UNM isn't the worst option either.

It's funny, my wife was watching it, and said 'this is bugging me, he's smarter than this' during the montage of him calling places. Turns out she was very right.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Bloody 'ell mate, you don't get many of them to the pound! Wot a crackin' set of jubblies on that bird :cheers:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

It's also possible that the "Hero con" only went into effect when he wasn't going to get any news coverage at all. It's terribly unlikely, but possible.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Now I'm really interested in seeing whether he's still conning people while managing at Cinnabon.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

NowonSA posted:

It's also possible that the "Hero con" only went into effect when he wasn't going to get any news coverage at all. It's terribly unlikely, but possible.

It's not a bug, it's a feature!

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I kinda wish someone would try that Rolex con on me. I don't know how much watches are worth and probably would've walked away with a free thousand bucks.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Which is another question I had: would the money in the wallet have been fake? You never know how these things might go. Guy could have just picked it up and bolted.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
My guess is all the cash in the wallet is fake. Seems like a risky investment otherwise. I think the plan is for 'Sall Good Man to meet some out of town guy at the bar, get him a little tipsy, and discuss going to an after hours bar. He gets the guy to howl like a wolf to alert big "drunk" friend that they are close and to leave the wallet with the fake cash in the alley and it proceeds as we saw it. The drunk guy probably wouldn't realize it's counterfeit cash just like he wouldn't realize it's a fake Rolex. If the guy does realize it's fake cash it's not like you were trying to trick him with it so there is no backlash.

Kerrek
Dec 17, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Which is another question I had: would the money in the wallet have been fake? You never know how these things might go. Guy could have just picked it up and bolted.

It probably was fake bills, or a few real bills mixed with fakes. He probably also scoped the mark out for the right mixture of greedy, stupid and drunk.

The whole wolf howl thing was probably also the fat guy's cue to drop the wallet and lay down in the alley. BUTTHOLES.

E:FB

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Yeah. The old wallet/watch stunt would have been super stupid unless the money was also fake somehow.

I hope the thread doesn't get bogged down with this.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Both the cash and the watches were real. Turns out Jimmy was an extremely awful con man.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is the space blanket real.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's a real blanket but it's never left Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
No, that's part of Chuck's long con

• Locked thread