Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

No, he's right. Shapeshifting herself a dick is one thing. Actually being able to impregnate someone would be totally different and be pretty close to just being able to copy anyone else's powers.

Frogs can grow dicks, they can't grow punchbeam-spewing eyes.

Fake edit: granted, frogs can't typically be Throgs either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Y'all hung up on her shecock when literally every 13 year old male on the planet has thought 'I wonder what its like to have bewbs'.

Shape shifting works the same way.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I havent read X-Men in ages but now you're telling me that Mystique grew functional gonads and then impregnated Xavier with their child? Uhm.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Mystique can look at a dude and then shift her shape to look like him, talk like him, walk like him. She can defeat fingerprint scans, facial recognition, retinal scans. She doesn't have to sample the guy's DNA or anything, she just goes 'you know what, I want to be that guy now' and she is. And people are really getting hung up on the notion that some of that biology might be, y'know, functional?

Seriously?

Seriously. The things people get hung up on. :shrug: Nightcrawler's mother was originally intended to be Destiny, right?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
This is probably the worst debate/topic of discussion I have seen on an internet forum that didn't have something to do with Sonic the Hedgehog.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
Has it ever been established that Mystique was born a specific sex before she got her powers(unless she was born with them)?

I always found her lack of an origin story a pretty cool aspect of her character.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Look guys I need this settled ASAP, I can't keep revising this month's erotic fanfic newsletter

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

This is probably the worst debate/topic of discussion I have seen on an internet forum that didn't have something to do with Sonic the Hedgehog.

Pizza regionalism.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Pizza regionalism.

What style of pizza does Mystique like best?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

What style of pizza does Mystique like best?

Extra Sausage.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Chinaman7000 posted:

Look guys I need this settled ASAP, I can't keep revising this month's erotic fanfic newsletter

Of course she can make functioning balls but it sill takes her time to produce sperm. So she probably still has them just in case the Destiny resurrection subplot in Wolverines goes anywhere. Obviously she stores them in like the ribcage just like any sane man would if we had the choice.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

TwoPair posted:

This conversation is rapidly approaching "Is the Thing's dick orange rock?" levels of uncomfortable/stupid.

Of course it is!

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

SirDan3k posted:

Of course she can make functioning balls but it sill takes her time to produce sperm. So she probably still has them just in case the Destiny resurrection subplot in Wolverines goes anywhere. Obviously she stores them in like the ribcage just like any sane man would if we had the choice.

You're gross.

Everybody stop being gross and talking about comic book characters junk or lack thereof.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Funnily enough after reading this thread, I decided to raise this question with my girlfriend.

The points that came up in our conversation was

1) Penis Envy is a thing many girls have, but it's more out of curiosity by women as opposed to all women secretly wanting dicks of their own.
2) If you were in a long term relationship with another woman, she thinks that it's something that couple would definitely try. (On the basis of "why not?")
3) As a shapeshifter who can literally change their gender, and has had male and female lovers in the past, it is something that is bound to come up.

Then she proceeded to get really hung up for the next 10 minutes (much like this thread) over how Mystique could have produced working, replicable sperm.

I pretty much had to go to "this is a universe where a guy can shoot punch lasers from his eyes. Just go with it."

SirDan3k posted:

In the above mentioned solo series, there's a sequence where Mystique survives being shot multiple times in the chest, by shapeshifting all her internal organs away from her chest. She collapses afterwards from strain and bloodloss, but I always thought it was a creative use of her power.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
i too spend my time deeply considering superhero cum

:cumpolice:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Anyway, back on to more comic related stuff.

This weekend I had a thought. Namely how weird and different a lot of Silver Age DC characters started in comparison to how they developed.

For instance, when Sinestro was introduced in Green Lantern, he was originally a EX-Green Lantern who had been kicked out of the Corps for Space-Corruption. And he basically sold his services as a Green Lantern assassin who used technology and his working knowledge of the Corps against them. At the end of that first story he gets sentenced to the Anti-Matter Universe, is given a ring and basically becomes the Yello GL we all know.

In the Flash thread it also came up a bit. Originally The Reverse Flash was Professor Zoom, a guy who just wore a yellow version of the Flash's costume and was all about the future and evil technology.

Hell the Top was originally just a man who used spinning tops to commit crimes. By the end of Geoff John's run he was a man who had telekinetic powers and super intellect as a result of teaching himself how to spin.

Can anyone else think of Heroes or Villains who have radically changed power level/ motif from their starting appearances?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Those first two you mentioned never really changed that radically. Those are just their origins. I think I may just be missing your point.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Well Marvel has Norman Osborn going from just being a Spider-Man villain to becoming Marvel's Lex Luthor during Dark Reign.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

Can anyone else think of Heroes or Villains who have radically changed power level/ motif from their starting appearances?
This is almost every character that has been around for any decent period of time ("power creep").

Superman: Jumps high, punches wife beaters->Possibly faster than The Flash, stands toe-to-toe with literal gods

Jean Grey: Teen telekinetic who the boys all swoon over-> living embodiment of one of the greatest destructive forces found in the universe

Joker: Bank robber/part time murderer but overall minor threat->immortal specter of doom that has haunted Gotham for over a century with a kill count innumerable.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 23, 2015

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Die Laughing posted:

Those first two you mentioned never really changed that radically. Those are just their origins. I think I may just be missing your point.

I mean, in the very first Sinestro story (from Green Lantern #7 back in 1961) he doesn't have a Yellow Power ring at all. He just uses technology and his knowledge that Green Lantern's rings are powerless against the colour Yellow and that their charge runs out after 24 hours to fight them.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Green_Lantern_Vol_2_7

It's only in his second and substituent appearances did he become "dude who has a Yellow Power Ring, making him the anti-Green Lantern" that everyone associates him with.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

You're gross.

Everybody stop being gross and talking about comic book characters junk or lack thereof.

Can I talk about IRL junk for a moment?

Human testicles sit outside the torso because they need temperatures somewhat lower than body temperature to produce sperm, so storing them in her ribcage wouldn't actually have any viable sperm.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
That implies that even with the absurd level of power ascribed to her that she can't control her body temperature.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Endless Mike posted:

Can I talk about IRL junk for a moment?

No

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Hey, I have a non shapeshifter junk question. Has Savage ever teamed up with/met with Ra's al Ghul? I figured the two immortals must have met sometime in the past. Has it ever happened?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Hey, I have a non shapeshifter junk question. Has Savage ever teamed up with/met with Ra's al Ghul? I figured the two immortals must have met sometime in the past. Has it ever happened?

Their kids fought in Villains United.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Question IRL posted:

Crafty, intelligent, comparatively weak Grey Hulk -> savage, unstoppable "the strongest one there is" Green Hulk?

(I acknowledge it may not count because the switch happened pretty early on for reasons unrelated to the story, and nobody really made much of the distinction for about 20 years until Peter David started writing him.)

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

The Question IRL posted:

I think every scientist has gone from a "normal" genius to the most genius of geniuses.

Lex Luther has changed direction a couple times, but my favorite will always be "evil realtor."

When I think about it, for 50+ year old heroes and villains, I think it'd be harder to think one who hasn't changed since their inception.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Madkal posted:

Has Savage ever teamed up with/met with Ra's al Ghul? I figured the two immortals must have met sometime in the past. Has it ever happened?

I believe they went up against the Outsiders together at one point.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

Guy Gardner: Warrior! Of course that didn't stick.

They're three different guys, but the title of "Blue Beetle" went from "magical" to "inventor/athlete" to "alien battlesuit"

75% of Teen Titans' power levels have been reduced to zero from their starting appearances since it's hard to be powerful six feet underground.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Moonstar's powers changed a bunch, she went from being able to show people their greatest fears, to being able to see an image of Death over people who were going to die, to just being able to create illusions based on a person's desires or fears. Then she lost her powers, obviously.

Psylocke's powers kinda changed too, when she originally appeared in Marvel UK comics, she was more of a Clairvoyant than a telekinetic. She's obviously changed a bunch further over the years then.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

Moonstar's powers changed a bunch, she went from being able to show people their greatest fears, to being able to see an image of Death over people who were going to die, to just being able to create illusions based on a person's desires or fears. Then she lost her powers, obviously.

Psylocke's powers kinda changed too, when she originally appeared in Marvel UK comics, she was more of a Clairvoyant than a telekinetic. She's obviously changed a bunch further over the years then.

Yeah that's kind of what I'm looking for.
Where the changes are pretty jarring when you compare the Before and After photos.

Kind of like how, again in DC, Black Hand was originally a criminal who had a book with every possible crime/contingency in it. Then he becomes a Cosmic Necromancer.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Question IRL posted:

Where the changes are pretty jarring when you compare the Before and After photos.

Kind of like how, again in DC, Black Hand was originally a criminal who had a book with every possible crime/contingency in it. Then he becomes a Cosmic Necromancer.

The Beyonder was originally a sentient universe who somehow found out about this other universe and decided to investigate. He was eventually depowered to boring old Cosmic Cube levels.

The Scarlet Witch could make a brick wall fall down, but only about once a day before she would get exhausted. Now she can do anything she wants.

When Peter Parker wore his alien-symbiote suit, it never gave him ridiculous jaws and fangs and a prehensile tongue. But now that's just what it does.

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 24, 2015

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

You know I actually asked someone about the symbiote weird teeth and tongue stuff a few weeks ago. Their response was that it figures out what is cool and intimidating from its host, and Peter was just too much of a nerd to think spikes and massive teeth were rad.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

You know I actually asked someone about the symbiote weird teeth and tongue stuff a few weeks ago. Their response was that it figures out what is cool and intimidating from its host, and Peter was just too much of a nerd to think spikes and massive teeth were rad.

Which... is actually kind of a neat way of looking at it. Peter thinks he's pretty rad already as Spider-Man, so it just looked like a Spider-Man outfit, except based on the new Spider-Woman he'd just met. Brock is a delusional jock of a journalist, so he thinks teeth and drool are cool. Flash was a marine, so he thinks army guys are the most scary to baddies, so he mostly just looks like a grunt. Except now he's in space, and he looks like Master Chief.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 24, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

How it worked when Flash was first starting out as Venom is that when he was in control it was all normal looking but when he lost control and the symbiote took over it got big and toothy.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

It also ignores all the other different symbiotes with teeth and claws and that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think there was other dumb reasoning behind that since they're all Venom's babies.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Question IRL posted:

How about the reverse; when was the last time Magneto hypnotized anyone?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I think the explanation is that all toothy and tongue-y and crazy jawed is the symbiote's natural state, and the more in control it is, the more like that it gets. So on one end of the spectrum you have Peter Parker, who it genuinely liked and was trying to get along with, and was good at keeping it under control -- he looks human. On the other end you've got Cletus Kassidy, who doesn't even try -- he's a monster. And then you have stuff like Mac Gargan, who loving sucked at keeping the symbiote under control, and you could see him losing control in between doses as he'd bulk up more and more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The Question IRL posted:

Deadshot was a suave dude armed with handguns, wearing a top hat, eye mask and tuxedo in the early days. He pretended to be a gun-based (non-lethal) vigilante to drive Batman out of town and then clean up.

Ambush Bug's a pretty basic supervillain in his first appearance and murders a dude on live TV just for kicks.

Baytor originally spoke in Ren Hoek quotes instead of being the demon version of Groot.