Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

sleepwalkers posted:

Even then, this is all a result of Google failing to work with their partners and shove their weight around like Apple does.

Google's whole ethos with Android seems to be 'we made something, here CATCH, go do something with it'; the end product being an ecosystem made entirely from rough edges and hammered-together jigsaw pieces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

spincube posted:

Google's whole ethos with Android seems to be 'we made something, here CATCH, go do something with it'; the end product being an ecosystem made entirely from rough edges and hammered-together jigsaw pieces
This isn't just their Android ethos :ssh:

See: Wave, Buzz, Health, etc...really anything on this giant list. Must be fun to work there and be able to just constantly throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks, though.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

See: Wave, Buzz, Health, etc...really anything on this giant list. Must be fun to work there and be able to just constantly throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks, though.
A shitload of stuff on that list was replaced by or merged with something else.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vagrancy posted:

The flaws of the LED were always apparent to me (probably because I hopped on board with the Nexus S) so I'm not surprised they're sticking to their guns and pushing it aside. It's the SD card of notification methods, most are significantly better off without it.
Triggering so hard over here I'm shaking violently like a Parkinson's sufferer.

AlexanderCA posted:

Really basic question here. Up until recently I had a 2010 HTC Legend and didn't give a gently caress about cleaning the screen. Now I have a second hand xperia z ultra with a huge beautiful screen. How can I best clean the screen? Can I use isopropyl alcohol? I have a endless supply of that at work.
A cloth like you get with good sunglasses and if you have to use something to clean it then use distilled water but you shouldn't need to use anything.

bryn987 posted:

-Chrome crashes every few minutes.
-Waze locks up with a black screen every time I exit the app.
-Timely locks up every time the alarm goes off and I can't turn the alarm off unless I start smashing buttons and then nova launcher crashes

Think it might be nova launcher? Or just the apps in general?
I might factory reset if I were you. My wife's N6 works fine with none of these issues. If a factory reset or system image reflash doesn't fix it you might have a broken phone. I've never heard of anyone having issues like this on an N6 and we hear about a lot of stuff in this thread.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Must be fun to work there and be able to just constantly throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks, though.

I'd be depressed as all hell, to be honest: I don't consider looking back at a wasteland full of half-finished, abandoned projects much fun.Why bother with basics like noticing everyday problems and building solutions to fit those problems, if someone's only going to decide it 'doesn't fit our vision' and poo poo-can it two years late-ohhhh ohhhhhhhhhh

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

nerve posted:

Same. I was under the impression that the Nexus 6 was one of the phones pretty universally working well on lollipop.

It is. No silent mode or LED are my only quibbles.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Using an iPhone, I survived for years without a LED. When I got my Nexus 5 I found it pretty neat but considering the LED doesn't really tell you anything aside from "Yo, you have notifications," I really don't see the need for it? Like it really doesn't tell you anything useful unless the app color-codes the notification and that goes to poo poo once you have multiple apps using the same color.

I mean it was slightly more useful during the pre-Lollipop days when you had to unlock your phone for notifications, but it's more a novelty than anything now. I can't think of a compelling reason to keep it aside from annoying the poo poo out of you out of the corner of your eye :argh:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

robodex posted:

Using an iPhone, I survived for years without a LED. When I got my Nexus 5 I found it pretty neat but considering the LED doesn't really tell you anything aside from "Yo, you have notifications," I really don't see the need for it? Like it really doesn't tell you anything useful unless the app color-codes the notification and that goes to poo poo once you have multiple apps using the same color.

I mean it was slightly more useful during the pre-Lollipop days when you had to unlock your phone for notifications, but it's more a novelty than anything now. I can't think of a compelling reason to keep it aside from annoying the poo poo out of you out of the corner of your eye :argh:

What you're looking for is this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rageconsulting.android.lightflow&hl=en

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rastor posted:

I don't know what Google Wallet you all have been using, but the one I'm using on my Moto X lets me add any major US credit card to my account, and when I tap my phone that credit card gets charged.

Except that's not the way it works.

Your Google account gets charged and then Google charges your credit card. That's fine if you are just buying can of pop out of the vending machine. That's not fine if you get vendor specific perks or want to you ANY of the protections your credit card offers you.

Good luck disputing a charge that gets passed through wallet at the credit card level. "I'm sorry sir, that charge is from Google, not the store you said wronged you. We can't do anything about it." Say good buy to extended warranty coverage or 90 day theft/breakage protection. "You broke your phone after only 10 days. Well, your receipt says you bought it from Best Buy but I see no charges from Best Buy on your account, I only see charges from Google. We can't help you."

Wallet is just a curiosity until native charges get posted to your account rather than a proxy payment through Google.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Except that's not the way it works.

Your Google account gets charged and then Google charges your credit card. That's fine if you are just buying can of pop out of the vending machine. That's not fine if you get vendor specific perks or want to you ANY of the protections your credit card offers you.

Good luck disputing a charge that gets passed through wallet at the credit card level. "I'm sorry sir, that charge is from Google, not the store you said wronged you. We can't do anything about it." Say good buy to extended warranty coverage or 90 day theft/breakage protection. "You broke your phone after only 10 days. Well, your receipt says you bought it from Best Buy but I see no charges from Best Buy on your account, I only see charges from Google. We can't help you."

Wallet is just a curiosity until native charges get posted to your account rather than a proxy payment through Google.
I'm not saying the system is flawless, I'm saying it works. I'm saying the statement "people don't use Google Wallet because it doesn't work with their credit cards/debit cards, period." makes no sense. It does work with credit cards/debit cards, and I use it all the time for small purchases.

Do you frequently dispute charges for cans of pop?

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

I'm not paying $2.49, especially when I'd rather just disable the LED completely :v:

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

robodex posted:

I'm not paying $2.49, especially when I'd rather just disable the LED completely :v:

Lucky for you that they also offer a free lite version!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rageconsulting.android.lightflowlite&hl=en

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

PREDICTING GOOGLE CLOSURES

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rastor posted:

I'm not saying the system is flawless, I'm saying it works. I'm saying the statement "people don't use Google Wallet because it doesn't work with their credit cards/debit cards, period." makes no sense. It does work with credit cards/debit cards, and I use it all the time for small purchases.

Do you frequently dispute charges for cans of pop?

No, but that's why I said that you would only want to use it for tiny purchases and nothing important. But now that you mention it, what if the vending machine malfunctioned and double submitted the transaction?

The point is, a layer between the vendor and the credit card creates a whole ton of complications to the point where you can be really justified in saying that it's broken and doesn't work even if it 'technically' does. Even Google must think so if they are integrating tech from Softcard to try to revamp things.

It's not a good solution and plays a very significant part in why it's not being used by many people.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

It's not a good solution and plays a very significant part in why it's not being used by many people.

Eh, I'll say it again. People don't even know Wallet exists, much less know enough to have dug into it deep enough to figure out the extra layer Google adds to the transaction.

Not that I disagree with the idea that it would be a turn-off if people actually did know how it worked.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Vagrancy posted:

5.1 makes some tweaks to interrruptions:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/02/24/android-5-1-feature-spotlight-volume-interruptions-menu-adds-next-alarm-new-option/

(Spoiler: still no silent mode)

The flaws of the LED were always apparent to me (probably because I hopped on board with the Nexus S) so I'm not surprised they're sticking to their guns and pushing it aside. It's the SD card of notification methods, most are significantly better off without it.

Not getting into an argument over the LED, but what does 5.1 change about its behavior vs 4.x?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Eh, I'll say it again. People don't even know Wallet exists, much less know enough to have dug into it deep enough to figure out the extra layer Google adds to the transaction.

Not that I disagree with the idea that it would be a turn-off if people actually did know how it worked.

Wallet sure but Isis was pushed pretty hard, they even paid me $1 per transaction to use it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

robodex posted:

It's completely worth it, but your call. I'll never understand why people get stingy and weird about spending money on apps.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

That's all one in the same. By making it a proxy layer, Google is not engaging their partners. They are making it work in spite of their partners. Without partner engagement, people aren't told about it and then people don't know about it.

The whole reason why people are using Apple Pay is I'm sure their credit card company either sent them an email or a glossy letter in the mail telling them about this new and wonderful way to link their card up and pay. Credit card companies aren't going to advertise a feature that shields them from the actual transaction.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

It is. No silent mode or LED are my only quibbles.
There is an LED on the N6 but it isn't a good one. It's motherfucking huge, just enormous. It doesn't turn off when the screen is on which is hyper annoying. But the worst thing is that it can't blend colors properly and some display correctly while others look messed up, like purple I know looks blue on top and red on the bottom.

You can access it with the paid version of Light Flow.

robodex posted:

LED notification indicators are the best notification indicators. Nexus One trackball for life!

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Is there such a thing as a thin-profile headphone jack extender for working around stupid cases and stupid plugs?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

No, but that's why I said that you would only want to use it for tiny purchases and nothing important. But now that you mention it, what if the vending machine malfunctioned and double submitted the transaction?
All Google Wallet transactions are covered under Google's 120 day Google Wallet Fraud Protection.

bull3964 posted:

That's all one in the same. By making it a proxy layer, Google is not engaging their partners. They are making it work in spite of their partners. Without partner engagement, people aren't told about it and then people don't know about it.

The whole reason why people are using Apple Pay is I'm sure their credit card company either sent them an email or a glossy letter in the mail telling them about this new and wonderful way to link their card up and pay. Credit card companies aren't going to advertise a feature that shields them from the actual transaction.
Hmm, yep yep, that's a really good point. Credit card companies like Discover and MasterCard sure aren't going to make websites promoting Google Wallet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rastor posted:

Hmm, yep yep, that's a really good point. Credit card companies like Discover and MasterCard sure aren't going to make websites promoting Google Wallet.

Did you ever, once, get communication about those features from those companies? Did you ever see them put a commercial on prime time TV about it? You can't watch a half hour of network TV without seeing one or two commercials about a credit card company touting Apple Pay.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rastor posted:

All Google Wallet transactions are covered under Google's 120 day Google Wallet Fraud Protection.
This is garbage compared to the protection my card gives me (in the UK so may be different there).

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014
I really don't pay for anything anymore online unless it's with PayPal, I saved some good money thanks to the petition system they have.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Did you ever, once, get communication about those features from those companies? Did you ever see them put a commercial on prime time TV about it? You can't watch a half hour of network TV without seeing one or two commercials about a credit card company touting Apple Pay.
Yes, I did (from Discover). I admit it was an electronic communication, not a mailer, FWIW.

Regarding the commercials, Apple has for years now featured prominently in commercials and other media, so I'm not sure "there are Apple ads" proves anything at all. Do you believe the thing with more TV commercials is the superior thing?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I believe the thing with more commercials is the is the thing that most people know about. Superiority doesn't enter into it (though, in this case, Apple Pay is superior by a large margin.)

At the end of the day, no one but a few nerds know gently caress all about Google Wallet. If credit card companies thought it was a way to engage people to increase their transactions, you would bet your rear end they would make sure all their account holders knew every detail about it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I think you're backpedaling here, but you may just be expounding an additional point.

Saying "people don't use Wallet because Google adds an extra layer to the transaction" is completely different from saying "people don't use Wallet because they don't know about it".

The root cause of those two things may be the same, but one is accurate description of the reason people don't use wallet and the other is an inaccurate description.

Three Olives posted:

Wallet sure but Isis was pushed pretty hard, they even paid me $1 per transaction to use it.

If people's awareness of Apple Pay is 100, people's awareness of ISIS is like 3, and their awareness of Wallet is like .5

Anyway, we're all just pontificating without data, so that's kinda useless.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Some M9 leaks
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/02/24/two-alleged-htc-one-m9-images-leak-courtesy-upleaks-video-teased-tomorrow/

Its interesting, to say the least.
The on-screen power button is a bit of a "What the gently caress were they thinking?", but who knows.

I'm still focusing on the Z4, but if it has wireless charging it'll at least be worth a look.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 24, 2015

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

ilkhan posted:

Some M9 leaks
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/02/24/two-alleged-htc-one-m9-images-leak-courtesy-upleaks-video-teased-tomorrow/

The on-screen power button is a bit of a "What the gently caress were they thinking?", but who knows.

I'm still focusing on the Z4, but if it has wireless charging it'll at least be worth a look.

I guess the on-screen power button could be useful for us M8 owners as the real power button is kinda hard to reach. Doesnt really make sense for the M9 though if the leaks are true and they moved the button to the side.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Some M9 leaks

I have to say that I love HTC phones since the One M7. My wife's Desire 816 runs smooth (snapdragon 400 and 1.5Gb ram are more than enough) and Sense to me is really nice to use. The only downside about the flagships is that they are kinda heavy but isn't something critical.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
What happened to those much better looking designs from @evleaks? I want to bet HTC is very, very good at basically throwing the fake designs everywhere but at the same time :effort:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I think in this Wallet discussion you guys are missing the forest for the trees. You're working backward from "This is technically just as good as (or works roughly similar to) ApplePay and it was here first, why don't people adopt it?" instead of "Why is ApplePay being adopted and Wallet being ignored?"

Lots of people here brought up the fact that Google always choosing to cut out partners and rolling a half-finished process are right but I think are still missing the bigger picture.

I think the key issue is trust. People trust Apple. They trust Apple's done their homework, lined up the partners, and rolled out a solution that works well from day one. This goes deeper than just this feature and it goes to the heart of what Desk Lamp said earlier, it goes to enthusiasm on the part of the user base and a willingness to trust that Apple is caring for their ecosystem and you get the former by means of the latter.

I mean in this case the specifics are well known: Google tried to bypass both credit card companies, carriers, and their OEMs in the interest of just taking the data. Carriers put the kibosh on that immediately and created a successful terrorist organization an alternative contactless payment system. Samsung was deep up their own rear end scrambling to get ready for a break from Google and wasn't going to cooperate. And the principle actors that needed to be involved, the credit card companies, weren't at the table either (because that was exactly whose data Google wanted to take). There was no way this wasn't going to fail.

The bigger picture though still remains. Google has a loose coalition of partners, the key member of which was actively hostile toward it. The ecosystem was and still remains to a large degree fragmented and thrown together. And the key point, users had and still have no idea of the relationship between Google, Android, their carrier, and the OEM. This right here is the main thing.

You can't build trust by throwing "Wallet" on a user's Samsung Galaxy S5 and expect them to just throw in their financial data and use it without the Verizon rep pointing out that it's safe, without Samsung saying that this isn't just crapware like all the other crapware on this phone, and most importantly without their credit card companies saying "Hey, use this neat thing on your device!" Why would anyone trust this? Why would anyone not just think that it's another Verizon Navigator wanting you to pay for something Google gives you for free? They wouldn't and they shouldn't.

Now Apple can get away with it because they're Apple. They don't put crapware on their devices and people know and trust this. Carriers can't block them because (going back to Desk Lamp's excellent point) their fans demand their carriers carry the iPhone and Apple won't compromise. Apple doesn't have to get OEM and carrier permissions to install apps and services on their own devices but that's the difference between being a niche product and a commodity (and it bears mentioning that Google is completely fine with this; they care about being on as many devices as possible first and foremost).

The thing is that if you're going to be the commodity OS, then you have to, must, cannot refuse to engage your partners. You can't be both the biggest and most trusted without acknowledging and leveraging (and yes, sharing the spoils with) your partners. Until Google runs the Android ecosystem in a way where everyone benefits, from the partners down to the user, and the user knows, understands, and trusts that ecosystem they'll never be able to launch initiatives like this.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ilkhan posted:

Some M9 leaks

Didn't want to put this in the monster post above since it's about something different but I saw a similar leak 3 days ago on Android Police and yeah, it's hard to hate on HTC. This looks like a fine device.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LastInLine posted:

Didn't want to put this in the monster post above since it's about something different but I saw a similar leak 3 days ago on Android Police and yeah, it's hard to hate on HTC. This looks like a fine device.

Still has the impossibly large chin just so they can put the HTC logo front and center. Pass.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

The thing is that if you're going to be the commodity OS, then you have to, must, cannot refuse to engage your partners.

It's worked out pretty well for them so far. I mean, they should do better on this, and they probably will do better and better at it, but it seems like their strategy worked out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

I mean in this case the specifics are well known: Google tried to bypass both credit card companies, carriers, and their OEMs in the interest of just taking the data. Carriers put the kibosh on that immediately and created a successful terrorist organization an alternative contactless payment system. .

Bit of revisionist history here. Softcard (ISIS) was already being developed before Google released Wallet. One of the main sticking points for Verizon and other Softcard partners was an exclusivity agreement that was established before Google ever showed off Wallet.

So, it wasn't that carriers and credit card companies got pissed off at being bypassed and invented ISIS as a response. They were already well on their way to developing contactless credit card payments when Google strolled in and said "Hey, how about this Wallet thing we made?"

Google essentially sent out party invites after everyone else had already RSVPd to a different bash and then wondered why no one showed up.

It's just another example of them not working with their partners. Had they developed a formal plan for wallet and presented it to carriers and credit card companies to get them on board before ISIS ever was founded in late 2010, then this whole thing might have never happened. Instead, Google did their normal thing about playing it close to their vest and then launching a beta level product on their own, expecting everyone else to change their plans and play along after the fact.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 25, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
The really impressive thing here is that as badly as Softcard/Google hosed up they didn't spend millions on that retarded Loop system that Samsung did.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Guillermus posted:

I have to say that I love HTC phones since the One M7. My wife's Desire 816 runs smooth (snapdragon 400 and 1.5Gb ram are more than enough) and Sense to me is really nice to use. The only downside about the flagships is that they are kinda heavy but isn't something critical.

It's where they're heavy that's the problem. The M8 had too much in the bottom, combined with the low grip metal body made it an utter piece of poo poo to use at times. The thing was practically designed to flop out of your hands, it was annoying enough that I ditched mine after 6 months for a Nexus 6 for that reason alone. A ludicrous 6" phone should not be easier to handle one-handed than a 5", but having it weighted at the top makes the balance considerably better. Only thing I miss about the HTC is those goddamn glorious speakers that have no equal.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

nimper posted:

Still has the impossibly large chin just so they can put the HTC logo front and center. Pass.

The glass chin is where the display/digitizer driver lives. It's possible to squeeze buttons on top of it, as HTC used to do before they switched on on-screen ones, but there's no way to fit a large speaker on there.

I admit it's goofy looking but it can't be helped without losing the nice audio v:shobon:v