Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Zip doesn't do stairs, the One does, maybe you mean that?

My Mum is super happy with her Zip, it's perfect for her in that the UX is literally "bash it with your hand" and the app opens to the exact basic daily stats that she wants to see. She's really happy with it. Good present, good purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Tunga posted:

The Zip doesn't do stairs, the One does, maybe you mean that?

My Mum is super happy with her Zip, it's perfect for her in that the UX is literally "bash it with your hand" and the app opens to the exact basic daily stats that she wants to see. She's really happy with it. Good present, good purchase.

Oh gently caress. Yeah. I'm a dummy.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

I've read through a lot, and hope this isn't rehashed, but is there any kind of "tethering" app between a smartwatch and your phone? I left my phone at a friends house after a hasty exit, and I really wish my Moto 360 would have buzzed or something letting me know it no longer has a connection. I've done some searching, but I'm failing to find a different term than tethering, which obviously brings up all kinds of different apps for not what I'm talking about.

I may as well give my mini review of owning this thing for the past month. It's fairly useless, but it's a fun toy. So far, just playing with different watch faces has been the highlight. It's made texting and driving like, 10% easier. Same goes for GPS on it. Although that just destroys the battery if I do it too much. Having the anywhere "Ok Google" setting on, on my phone makes it hilariously awkward when I say it and both devices spring into listening mode.

Surprisingly, out of the 3 dozen people who've made comments about it where I work, only 2 have asked if it's the Apple watch! 95% of the people asking why I have this solid black round watch have never even heard of a smart watch. This older lady was sitting there staring at it, and said "How do you tell the time on your watch?" I flicked my wrist into position and the screen came on, and she gasped and went "Well, that's weird" and walked away. I met a guy in the elevator who had the Note Edge, so I commented that it was cool to see one in the wild, and he was all excited how it's the greatest phone he's ever had. Then quickly took his wrist out and had one of the dozen Samsung variety watches and said, but this thing is a piece of poo poo I don't know why I bought it.

So, Smart Watches, see ya in a couple years when someone finds something useful? At least the fitness trackers have a defined place.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Binge posted:

I've read through a lot, and hope this isn't rehashed, but is there any kind of "tethering" app between a smartwatch and your phone? I left my phone at a friends house after a hasty exit, and I really wish my Moto 360 would have buzzed or something letting me know it no longer has a connection. I've done some searching, but I'm failing to find a different term than tethering, which obviously brings up all kinds of different apps for not what I'm talking about.

I may as well give my mini review of owning this thing for the past month. It's fairly useless, but it's a fun toy. So far, just playing with different watch faces has been the highlight. It's made texting and driving like, 10% easier. Same goes for GPS on it. Although that just destroys the battery if I do it too much. Having the anywhere "Ok Google" setting on, on my phone makes it hilariously awkward when I say it and both devices spring into listening mode.

Surprisingly, out of the 3 dozen people who've made comments about it where I work, only 2 have asked if it's the Apple watch! 95% of the people asking why I have this solid black round watch have never even heard of a smart watch. This older lady was sitting there staring at it, and said "How do you tell the time on your watch?" I flicked my wrist into position and the screen came on, and she gasped and went "Well, that's weird" and walked away. I met a guy in the elevator who had the Note Edge, so I commented that it was cool to see one in the wild, and he was all excited how it's the greatest phone he's ever had. Then quickly took his wrist out and had one of the dozen Samsung variety watches and said, but this thing is a piece of poo poo I don't know why I bought it.

So, Smart Watches, see ya in a couple years when someone finds something useful? At least the fitness trackers have a defined place.

There's an app called "find my phone" it makes the watch vibrate when you leave it. And with the press of a button it puts it into a ring mode where it'll make the phone ring as soon as it's in range again.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Wear Mini Launcher has an option to vibrate if you go too far from your phone. And if you aren't using Wear Mini Launcher then you're using your watch wrong.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Well boo, I seem to average 2-3 days on my Charge HR before I get the OMG CHARGE ME email, and it seems like that's low based on that chat in this thread.

Is there some setting that just murders battery life or something?

I'm wearing it all day (minus showering, bathing the kids, etc). I've got 1 silent alarm, call notifications turned on and all-day sync turned off. Heart rate tracking is on auto.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Not sure if Pebble is included on this thread or not, but I just got a email from Pebble they they are announcing something at 10am tomorrow.

Edit: beaten.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 24, 2015

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So an e-ink color Pebble.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-time-awesome-smartwatch-no-compromises

They are...using Kickstarter? I thought Pebble was a...real company? Like big box retailer real?

Guess they cautiously are launching this on Kickstarter because they thought it was going to flop? Hey let the market speak, we count their money first, THEN ship! Brilliant!

The whole thing is kind of strange.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

hotsauce posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-time-awesome-smartwatch-no-compromises

They are...using Kickstarter? I thought Pebble was a...real company? Like big box retailer real?

Guess they cautiously are launching this on Kickstarter because they thought it was going to flop? Hey let the market speak, we count their money first, THEN ship! Brilliant!

Everybody wants cash up front now, and it seems to be working because we keep buying poo poo sight unseen. Hell I wanted a kairos but hell if I'm dropping that much.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

sneakyfrog posted:

Everybody wants cash up front now, and it seems to be working because we keep buying poo poo sight unseen. Hell I wanted a kairos but hell if I'm dropping that much.

As tempting as it is and I'm sure I will buy one I would rather spend $40 extra and have a solid review before I spend $160-$200.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Whizbang posted:

Wear Mini Launcher has an option to vibrate if you go too far from your phone. And if you aren't using Wear Mini Launcher then you're using your watch wrong.

I downloaded this app but I don't see what makes it a must have.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Lblitzer posted:

Clearly, you're just using your watch wrong.

Gotta have Flappy Bird available on your wrist as quickly as possible.

(I too, have no idea why someone would think a launcher on your smart watch would be useful to the point that it is critical to have.)

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

hotsauce posted:

It's marketing. They are shipping this in May, so they were going to ship this no matter what. But by going with Kickstarter, they get a bunch of tech press articles about it, and they don't have to actually handle the pre-order process.

Not sure, they could have just used Stripe and did a pre-order process themselves, but that has less marketing power probably.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lblitzer posted:

I have like...one app that's compatible with my watch. Its the find my phone app.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

hotsauce posted:

e-paper, not e-ink.

It is a transflective low power LCD, It is not a kindle type display.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

e-paper, not e-ink.

It is a transflective low power LCD, It is not a kindle type display.

Ok, so like the other two Pebbles before it. So sorry.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_4?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kidizoom+smartwatch&sprefix=kidi%2Caps%2C695

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Those were posted awhile back.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

Those were posted awhile back.

He's/She's pointing out the similarity in appearance to the new pebble

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Just saying I love the steel design 's all

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Truly the Gamecube of smart watches.

(new Pebble owns)

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I like my Moto 360 and circular watch faces but that uh new Peggle looks... pretty loving sweet.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

quote:

Believe it or not, LG already has an upgraded version of its luxurious Watch Urbane: meet the Watch Urbane LTE, a souped-up version that focuses on speedy mobile data. The timepiece (which isn't using Android Wear) isn't as substantial a phone replacement as Samsung's Gear S, but it will let you leave your handset at home sometimes. You can make LTE phone calls, share your GPS location, translate foreign speech and hold walkie talkie-style voice chats. LG has also upgraded the battery from 410mAh to a hefty 700mAh, so your cellular wristwear shouldn't conk out prematurely.

This isn't a one-trick pony, either. Besides the addition of GPS, the Urbane LTE is one of the first smartwatches beyond the Apple Watch to include NFC-based mobile payments. So long as there's proper support (LG isn't going into details yet), you can tap your wrist to pay instead of fishing your phone out of your pocket. And you may have noticed that there are three buttons on the side instead of the regular Urbane's one -- those are for navigation and quick settings, LG says. There's no mention of when you can get the Watch Urbane LTE, but you can be sure that we'll take a closer look at it when Mobile World Congress kicks off next month.

Persumably this is the WebOS watch from CEO?

:neckbeard:

LTE, GPS, Mobile Pay, presumably heart rate and Bluetooth music, this could be my runners dream.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 26, 2015

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Three Olives posted:

Persumably this is the WebOS watch from CEO?

:neckbeard:

LTE, GPS, Mobile Pay, presumably heart rate and Bluetooth music, this could be my runners dream.

As long as you run about 20 minutes or less, or are willing to wear a battery pack :v:

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Chasiubao posted:

As long as you run about 20 minutes or less, or are willing to wear a battery pack :v:

It's also probably going to be really expensive.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Maneki Neko posted:

Well boo, I seem to average 2-3 days on my Charge HR before I get the OMG CHARGE ME email, and it seems like that's low based on that chat in this thread.

Is there some setting that just murders battery life or something?

I'm wearing it all day (minus showering, bathing the kids, etc). I've got 1 silent alarm, call notifications turned on and all-day sync turned off. Heart rate tracking is on auto.
I have HR auto, call notifications and alarms off, and get about 5-7 days. Maybe try turning them off one at a time and see which is the culprit?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Syrinxx posted:

I have HR auto, call notifications and alarms off, and get about 5-7 days. Maybe try turning them off one at a time and see which is the culprit?

I've got HR Always on, notifications off and no alarms and I've never had the band die on me with only charging it when I'm in the shower.

I'm not sure what the battery life is, really, but since I first opened it I've never gotten a notification.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm guessing no one in here has any interest since the news hasn't been posted yet, but Apple's Watch event is on March 9.

I went ahead and made a dedicated Watch thread.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm guessing no one in here has any interest since the news hasn't been posted yet, but Apple's Watch event is on March 9.

I went ahead and made a dedicated Watch thread.

I think a lot of us are interested in what it's like but we don't have iPhones so it's not like we can buy it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Honestly I switched to Android recently and if the Apple Watch is great I would switch back to the iPhone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

So, this Huawei watch is nice lookin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=016WQrGexnE

(terrible advertisement, though)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Thermopyle posted:

So, this Huawei watch is nice lookin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=016WQrGexnE

(terrible advertisement, though)

I take it Chinese people think Europeans make the best watches? That was Engrish as gently caress

Looks ok but I like the Urbane LTE looks better. No android wear=no care on that one though.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Just needs a dongle (*WINK*) to your Watch of choice.

http://www.cosmopolitan.co.uk/love-sex/sex/news/a33828/wankband-charges-phone-masturbating/

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

Reverse Centaur posted:

I take it Chinese people think Europeans make the best watches? That was Engrish as gently caress

Looks ok but I like the Urbane LTE looks better. No android wear=no care on that one though.

The verge and engadget both have hands-on with the two watches. The huawei looks amazing to me, while the urbane is just a more refined version of the same GWR. Less bezel, bigger screen with a higher resolution than the GWR.

Oh, and the LTE variant has an even bigger bezel than the standard urbane. Like, mega big.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I never thought a company like Huawei would develop a watch I'd want so much.

If the battery life is any good, I think I may retire my G Watch early.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The Huawei appears really thick, though.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

And that thin band on it only serves to accentuate that, although I suppose you could replace it.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

hooah posted:

The Huawei appears really thick, though.

It's about the same thickness as a lot of automatic watches. In the watch world that looks pretty par, I'd say. Definitely better than a bigger bezel

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The problem is the shape - a plain cylinder, rather than thickness as such. My auto Seiko SNK809 is both smaller and thicker than the G Watch R (~38 vs 45mm diameter and 11 vs 9.7mm) for example (not sure about the Huawei) but it doesn't look disproportionally thick because it's made up of three visual layers, with the bottom one being hidden and the top two breaking up the thickness:

And now compare and contrast:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

No android wear=no care on that one though.

I'm going to disagree, if Google would get their act together and not have a gimped as hell for no apparent reason Google Now implementation on the watch and clean up their interface sure but after I bothered to upgrade my Pebble with Wear notification support honestly the implementation is tons better on Pebble. That's sad.

I was under the impression that we were going to see a rapid update cycle to the Wear, that just hasn't materialized. It's good enough but Pebble is honestly a much better device overall so I'm willing to give others a chance.