Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Maybe a weird question but does anyone have a picture of a chaos space marine (or some other model) with ridged horns where the horns are painted black instead of bone colored? I have a mini I want to paint in Khorne colors and I think the red would look better with black horns, but I can't find any good examples. Just curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Medium Style posted:

Maybe a weird question but does anyone have a picture of a chaos space marine (or some other model) with ridged horns where the horns are painted black instead of bone colored? I have a mini I want to paint in Khorne colors and I think the red would look better with black horns, but I can't find any good examples. Just curious.

This any use? Kinda glossy.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Nice. Can you talk about your technique?

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Nice. Can you talk about your technique?

Sure, it's just:

Black primer
Leadbelcher
Nuln oil
Nuln oil
Runefang steel highlights
1 part stegadon scale green + 5 parts lahmian medium
Agrax earthshade
Nuln oil

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Okay, I need some advice on painting, because I feel like I'm doing something very wrong. I've painted minis before, but back when I first painted I used the Citadel paints that came with my Macragge starter kit. I didn't know about thinning paints back then, but my models mercifully never came out looking chunky or lost details.

This time around, I'm using the Vallejo Model Color paints, since I can get them locally and fairly inexpensively. However, I'm having trouble with the paint staying ON the model for my basecoat; I put about a dime sized glob on a little cardboard palette I'm using and I try just painting it on with a wet brush, but it doesn't stay on very well; it obscures the details a bit and the next brush stroke will leave a blank streak.

I figured that meant it was maybe too thick, so I added a drop of water and mixed it, but it does the same thing; it goes on better now, but it runs, and adding a second drop basically seems to be making it a wash. I'm using a dropper that was meant to be used with cat medicine that is measured out in 1/10 mL sections.

Am I using too much or too little water to thin it? Should I get some sort of flow control medium? Or did I just get a poo poo batch of paints?

e: If it helps, I am basically following Apathetic Fish's youtube video on painting Blood Ravens, but with the Vallejo counterparts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4USvo1fKGU

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 23, 2015

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Sure, it's just:

Black primer
Leadbelcher
Nuln oil
Nuln oil
Runefang steel highlights
1 part stegadon scale green + 5 parts lahmian medium
Agrax earthshade
Nuln oil

Using this as colour references.

If you're going for some cloaks or other cloth using the picture you put up earlier, I've been toying with mechanicus standard grey, administratum grey highlights, washed in coelia greenshade.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Reynold posted:

If you're going for some cloaks or other cloth using the picture you put up earlier, I've been toying with mechanicus standard grey, administratum grey highlights, washed in coelia greenshade.

Awesome, thanks for the tip. I was going to use stegadon with either white or black added but I'll take a peak at those colours.

John Dyne posted:

Okay, I need some advice on painting, because I feel like I'm doing something very wrong. I've painted minis before, but back when I first painted I used the Citadel paints that came with my Macragge starter kit. I didn't know about thinning paints back then, but my models mercifully never came out looking chunky or lost details.

This time around, I'm using the Vallejo Model Color paints, since I can get them locally and fairly inexpensively. However, I'm having trouble with the paint staying ON the model for my basecoat; I put about a dime sized glob on a little cardboard palette I'm using and I try just painting it on with a wet brush, but it doesn't stay on very well; it obscures the details a bit and the next brush stroke will leave a blank streak.

I figured that meant it was maybe too thick, so I added a drop of water and mixed it, but it does the same thing; it goes on better now, but it runs, and adding a second drop basically seems to be making it a wash. I'm using a dropper that was meant to be used with cat medicine that is measured out in 1/10 mL sections.

Am I using too much or too little water to thin it? Should I get some sort of flow control medium? Or did I just get a poo poo batch of paints?

e: If it helps, I am basically following Apathetic Fish's youtube video on painting Blood Ravens, but with the Vallejo counterparts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4USvo1fKGU

Are you priming? Have you tried putting a bead in the bottle to use as an agitator? What are your minis made of? Have you tried washing them with soapy water before painting?

Monster w21 Faces fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 23, 2015

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Have you tried putting a bead in the bottle to use as an agitator? What are your minis made of? Have you tried washing them with soapy water before painting?

I had actually not shaken the bottle first thing so I also thought that was my problem; I wondered why my Khorne Red analogue was rosy pink until I saw the red streaks and went 'duh.' But the minis are the standard GW plastic, and I did wash them, but..

quote:

Are you priming?

.... :cripes: For some reason I thought this step WAS me priming them with my red paint, because thinking back I remember giving my Ultramarines a basecoat of black. Which.. was actually the Citadel primer now that you've mentioned it. I'm a glorious idiot. Thanks! Now I need to go buy primer.

e: Though in my defense his model was grey so I just went 'herp derp' and started painting.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 23, 2015

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

John Dyne posted:

I had actually not shaken the bottle first thing so I also thought that was my problem; I wondered why my Khorne Red analogue was rosy pink until I saw the red streaks and went 'duh.' But the minis are the standard GW plastic, and I did wash them, but..

.... :cripes: For some reason I thought this step WAS me priming them with my red paint, because thinking back I remember giving my Ultramarines a basecoat of black. Which.. was actually the Citadel primer now that you've mentioned it. I'm a glorious idiot. Thanks! Now I need to go buy primer.

e: Though in my defense his model was grey so I just went 'herp derp' and started painting.

Totally an easy mistake to make, especially if the guy was priming grey as you said.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Hey, so I primed a Bones model and I forgot to wash it beforehand. Now the primer is still tacky and won't dry. Do I just strip it and start over?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Super Waffle posted:

Hey, so I primed a Bones model and I forgot to wash it beforehand. Now the primer is still tacky and won't dry. Do I just strip it and start over?

For the record, it's not (solely) because you didn't wash it, it's because Bonesium doesn't play nice with a lot of primers for some reason. I've heard that it's rattlecan propellant, but I've also heard people have trouble with airbrushing primer so who knows really.

You seriously do not need to prime them, though.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Thank you. That's not quite how it looked in my head.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
nevermind

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 24, 2015

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Took a break from my first set of minis (skellies) and decided to pick up a box of chaos warriors as they're an excuse to do more metal work.

Doing them up as 'errant' knights who are roaming the lands being nefarious looter fucks. going to be applying hand daubed warpaint to their armour which mark them as brigands. Probably in orange or yellow.

Yo, that metal is loving dope.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Did you do this? Because it's loving awesome.

everythingWasBees posted:

That was done with a brush?!

I'm old school, baby.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
It took five coats, but bone colors eventually look even and good! I could have done fewer coats but I don't like having brushstrokes/texture showing through. Slightly less lovely photo using a DVD case of Vannin'. My friend directed that movie, go see it, it's about people with wizard vans! http://www.vanninmovie.com/

See that wrinkly poo poo on the right side of the weapon platform? I have no idea what caused that! It happened at some point when I was spraying on the lacquer, which I did indoors instead of going into 4' weather. I really have no idea what did this other than the lacquer being too old, I have never seen this before and it can't be fixed like "fogging" with other lacquer.

I used an old Jetbike helmet guy because apparently out of the 26 Guardians there aren't 26 helmets. Yes, I was corny enough to put a targeting cross on the visor of the other guy. All weapons can be swapped, I used a pin system rather than magnets because this kit makes it super simple to do it that way.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Silhouette posted:

Yo, that metal is loving dope.

Cheers.

The Sex Cannon posted:

Did you do this? Because it's loving awesome.

Negatory, just found it in a GIS.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

JerryLee posted:

For the record, it's not (solely) because you didn't wash it, it's because Bonesium doesn't play nice with a lot of primers for some reason. I've heard that it's rattlecan propellant, but I've also heard people have trouble with airbrushing primer so who knows really.

You seriously do not need to prime them, though.

Personally, I've found that it depends a bit on what colours you try to paint with. It can even be individual paints, such as some GW paints working and some others just leaving a mess. So from now on I always put a layer of brush-on primer on my Bones minis, just to be sure.

I also boil them all. It's fun.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

My 150 pts Infinity all ready for play! (Sans bases, still not sure how to do them.)

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Sorry for posting more of the same but I did three more bodies. I would have done the other 8 but clean up of plastics is booooring.

Monster w21 Faces fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 24, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
gently caress, those look so good

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Is this some weird 'be sarcastic to the new painter guy' thing?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

No loving way dude, those warriors look fantastic already.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

No. Those are legit good-looking metals.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Sorry for posting more of the same buy I did three more bodies. I would have done the other 11 but clean up of plastics is booooring.

Thats ace. I might suggest you throw a few tiny silver 'nicks' onto the wide hip plates to just break up the big wedge of dark armour. Not too many, one or two per side, just thin bright highlights in the same colour as the edges.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

serious gaylord posted:

Thats ace. I might suggest you throw a few tiny silver 'nicks' onto the wide hip plates to just break up the big wedge of dark armour. Not too many, one or two per side, just thin bright highlights in the same colour as the edges.

Yeah I'm going to be doing some painted markings on the larger flatter areas to break them up a bit, probably in orange or yellow to work as contrast to the dingy blue cloaks. I'll be mocking some stuff up in photoshop first to see what fits but I need to see what head and body combos I'll be working with first. Need the patterns to play to the strengths of the shapes.

DJ Dizzy posted:

No. Those are legit good-looking metals.

Slimnoid posted:

No loving way dude, those warriors look fantastic already.

Well then, thank you.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Try doing the warpaint over the nicks. Will make it look even better.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

serious gaylord posted:

Try doing the warpaint over the nicks. Will make it look even better.

Might try taking a scalpel to them then, maybe hit them up with some pencil graphite.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sorry if I come off as an rear end in a top hat- those are legit good. If you wanna do what gaylord is suggesting try using a sharp lead pencil. You could also use a new x-acto knife to gently scrape into the paint and reveal the shiny surface underneath. Just don't go overboard.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Might try taking a scalpel to them then, maybe hit them up with some pencil graphite.

Avoid the scalpel, that way lies madness. Just a quick flick with a fine detail and a bright silver will do. Or a pencil. Bulbasaur is the man to talk to about that stuff.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

BULBASAUR posted:

Sorry if I come off as an rear end in a top hat- those are legit good. If you wanna do what gaylord is suggesting try using a sharp lead pencil. You could also use a new x-acto knife to gently scrape into the paint and reveal the shiny surface underneath. Just don't go overboard.

No no, you didn't say anything wrong, I just, I wasn't expecting such praise for two layers of paint and some washes.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

No no, you didn't say anything wrong, I just, I wasn't expecting such praise for two layers of paint and some washes.

The Trick Professional Painters Don't Want You To Know is that the least amount of effort to get the best result is the key to success. You accomplished great-looking metal with very little work, so you're already halfway there.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Slimnoid posted:

The Trick Professional Painters Don't Want You To Know is that the least amount of effort to get the best result is the key to success. You accomplished great-looking metal with very little work, so you're already halfway there.

Shhhhhh don't tell everyone.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Well, after 2 of them recently, now I'm thinking about hunting down an armor dude to paint a handprint on.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Really liking 10mm. It feels so productive to know you painted 500 goblins, wargs and warg riders in 3 weeks. I am just waiting on a that earlier mentioned 6mm basing kit to arrive so I can apply that and finish them properly.

Anyone here cast their own figures? I am getting tempted to sculpt up some 10mm dollies and sculpt some armies that don't really have good 10mm lord of the rings substitutes out there. I've made enough molds before but not cast with metal, and metal seems like best thing to make dollies out of. Any good lead/pewter suppliers, or for that matter anyone you know of that makes or sells 10mm dollies?

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 25, 2015

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Holy poo poo, that's a lot of guys. Doesn't it get boring painting hundreds of identical soldiers?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I decided to keep it simple for my dice tower. If I get better at painting, I can always print and paint another one.

I've started printing OpenForge pieces (http://www.thingiverse.com/tag:OpenForge)

Once I get enough of these printed, I want to paint them in something cyber-punky so I can DM some Shadowrun with a well realized tabletop dungeon.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Ensign Expendable posted:

Holy poo poo, that's a lot of guys. Doesn't it get boring painting hundreds of identical soldiers?

It can be boring, but it is also a unique feeling to realize that you finished batch painted 400 infantrymen, and that you can suddenly just base an entire army.

This is like, a few hours of painting's worth of 6mm infantry, it's awesome and I'm happy that my club is starting to warm up to the idea to play 6mm Napoleonics with me:

But first I have to finish a bunch of 6mm buildings for some customers. This one was sent out:

This one is being painted, need some drybrushing and highlights:

I also made some molds for different Fantasy style medieval windows, which will increase the pace of making buildings a lot when we get back to that project. Busy busy busy.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Plus, you can then do things like this.

Shown, a small game of Field of Glory Napoleonics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I liked the idea of putting Space Marines on 32mm bases but did not want to go to the trouble and expense of completely rebasing what I had. Fortunately I discovered some very cheap MDF base extenders on eBay and ordered 10 to test them out.

You can see because they are straight-cut there is a bit of a gap between them and the bevel on the GW 25mm base.

Aside from that they fit well enough, with only a slight difference in height between them. Turns out the GW ones are a little more than 3mm thick.

So I grabbed some Liquid Green Stuff and filled in the gap on a model I'm halfway through painting.

When it sets I'll throw some sand on it and finish the mini to see how it looks. If it goes well I'll give extending a finished base a try.

Fingers crossed.

• Locked thread