Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Rename Pillars of Eternity GTA V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kurtofan posted:

Grand Theft Eternity

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Hand Row posted:

How are you feeling about the state of the game entering the stretch run?

I'm not sure he could comment, beyond "We're sending in Release candidates for approval from Paradox" and that they're working hard to get it up to standards.

Me personally, just going by the beta, I'd say it needs a bit more work, but it has a month to accomplish that so I'm sure it'll be fine. Worst case scenario we'll get something we can finish and that'll get polished up in the following month. Right now, beyond the dexterity bug and a few other minor issues, my only real problem with the game is a few glitches in the graphics department and pathfinding.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Kurtofan posted:

Name it GTA V PC Version.

Also it still wouldn't be the most shameless attempt to snipe a big game's release. Elite: Dangerous came out on Dec 16th and isn't on Steam. Purely by coincidence, this masterpiece just also happened to come out on Dec 16th, featuring such great fake review quotes as "Dangerous is well worth the money..."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilmiera posted:

I'm not sure he could comment, beyond "We're sending in Release candidates for approval from Paradox" and that they're working hard to get it up to standards.

Me personally, just going by the beta, I'd say it needs a bit more work, but it has a month to accomplish that so I'm sure it'll be fine. Worst case scenario we'll get something we can finish and that'll get polished up in the following month. Right now, beyond the dexterity bug and a few other minor issues, my only real problem with the game is a few glitches in the graphics department and pathfinding.

Yeah, going by the beta this is a pretty good game. The beta I'm playing now is a month old and probably needs a month or so of polish, which I presume they've been doing. There are some minor balance issues that I expect will get tweaked (a couple of abilities seem really powerful), one or two design decisions I'm not sure I agree with but that I can't say are "wrong" either (Perception not giving +Acc), a few bugs like weapons with descriptions that read "missing itemmod", etc., but nothing game-ending. I've been happy to pay good money for games that were a lot less finished than this, more than once.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I like it so far. poo poo's kind of wonky, but there's a good groundwork. I think people who are really into AD&D and D&D 3.5 games will be a little let down, though.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

I would totally play an fantasy crime sandbox game.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

SunAndSpring posted:

I like it so far. poo poo's kind of wonky, but there's a good groundwork. I think people who are really into AD&D and D&D 3.5 games will be a little let down, though.

I'm just really hopeful that this game doesn't screw over monks.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

If there's one thing we can be pretty sure of based on the beta, it's that monks won't be being screwed over.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Grillars Tof Ęternity

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Monks are sweet as hell right now

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Yeah they get to have some of the abilities of Balthazar from TOB and punting guys clear across a level never gets old

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

SunAndSpring posted:

Why? What more could they possibly ask for? This is the most D&D game since Skyrim, which is the most possible D&D game ever because it is maximum murderhobo in the land of Generica, which is literally the same thing as D&D.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MartianAgitator posted:

Why? What more could they possibly ask for? This is the most D&D game since Skyrim, which is the most possible D&D game ever because it is maximum murderhobo in the land of Generica, which is literally the same thing as D&D.
Nah, that's fantasy gaming in general. To really ring home to the D&D contingent you need wizard supremacy with vancian casting and more trap character builds than legitimate ones.

Or less antagonistically, PoE is designed to take the general game structure of the infinity engine games and put a percentile game design inside the guts which is a few streets down the block in terms of feel verse the real time implementations of DnD in the past.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Hrm. Where can I find an Arbalest or Arequebus in the backer beta?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you fight the party encounter upstairs at the inn, one of the thief's party members should drop an arquebus, I think?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I found an Arquebus in a hole in the wall on the way out of the spooky blood dungeon but that might have been random loot.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Also what does "terrified" do, the wiki doesn't spell it out like for the other status effects. Is it a disable or ?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I think it carries a penalty to derived stats (accuracy, etc). I think it might also cause flanking? Idk. It should be clearer.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

If you go to the Cyclopedia tab in your journal it explains a lot of game mechanics to you, including what all the status effects do.

Terrified: Resolve and Dexterity are reduced by 4. Accuracy is reduced by 20 for all sources. Overrides Frightened.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Pwnstar posted:

If you go to the Cyclopedia tab in your journal it explains a lot of game mechanics to you, including what all the status effects do.

Terrified: Resolve and Dexterity are reduced by 4. Accuracy is reduced by 20 for all sources. Overrides Frightened.

Thanks!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'm so glad Engagement is going to be a thing in this game, I've been playing the Enhanced Editions games lately and its really frustrating when you're out in the open and enemies can just walk past your frontline fighters to eat the squishy mage at the back

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Goddam it. Now I'm gonna go buy both the Baldur's Gate games on Steam now, aren't I? Yes I am, just because I'm that impatient. Dammit. poo poo, I wonder if the original Pool of Radiance is on Steam, too?

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
If you're that committed to getting the Enchanced Editions, GOG has them all on sale right now.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

frajaq posted:

I'm so glad Engagement is going to be a thing in this game, I've been playing the Enhanced Editions games lately and its really frustrating when you're out in the open and enemies can just walk past your frontline fighters to eat the squishy mage at the back

Cast mirror image.

e: or command or invisibility or stoneskin or colour spray or blind or charm or sleep or dimension door or etc

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 25, 2015

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

MartianAgitator posted:

Edition wars, basically. This uses a lot of 4E things such as making abilities per encounter or per rest, and that throws off people who really like the old AD&D/3.5 style of having martial characters be able to use their abilities as many times as they desire whereas casters have to take naps all the time if they wanna keep hurling fireballs. Personally, I really don't mind because most abilities in the Infinity Engine games might as well have been per encounter because I could just immediately take a nap after clearing out an area and get all my casts back. It gets kind of annoying to hear stuff like, "Per encounters make combat a routine," bandied about when I rarely had penalties for resting at all in the IE games which made overuse of spells a moot point.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

frajaq posted:

To fix this problem you just move your mage. It's not rocket science. The exact method for getting enemies to change targets varies depending on which IE game you're playing. IWD:HoW has the best AI targeting.

quote:

Personally, I really don't mind because most abilities in the Infinity Engine games might as well have been per encounter because I could just immediately take a nap after clearing out an area and get all my casts back. It gets kind of annoying to hear stuff like, "Per encounters make combat a routine," bandied about when I rarely had penalties for resting at all in the IE games which made overuse of spells a moot point.

I'm honestly surprised at the amount of people that admit to rest-spamming the crap out of the IE games. Half the fun of playing these types of games is the resource management part of it. If you just rest spam after every encounter, you're basically bypassing the intended challenge, and for ..... ? To win in a not fun way I guess?

I never really had too many issues where if I didn't have X resource that I couldn't get past X encounter without a pyrrhic victory. You just had to get a bit creative sometimes - which is fun (and no, that does not mean using other exploits).

I don't mind per-encounters, but I do think that per-encounters in D&D 4E and this game can & do create a situation where the openings of each encounter are basically per-encounter spamming. Not all classes have them or have too many of them though so it really depends. Classes like Fighters, Barbarians, Rangers, Rogues, Wizards with Arcane Assault (also Monks if you pick Stunning Blows) fall into this category;. Chanters and Ciphers do not.

You can get more mileage out of many of the powers here due to the multiple uses - that's pretty fun.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 25, 2015

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Sensuki posted:

If you just rest spam after every encounter, you're basically bypassing the intended challenge, and for ..... ? To win in a not fun way I guess?

There's a line of thinking that says any sort of loss = Not Fun, and any kind of win = Fun, so any act that increases winning is not just worth it, but the entire point.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Well yeah if I move my Mage the enemy usually..follows the Mage and continues pounding on him. But yeah Ratios and Tendency was correct that I needed to use defensive spells more, it's just that I'm new to these games and apparently only a few spells are actually good and worthwhile, which I'm still figuring out.

And yeah I rest-spam a lot, and also quick save scum if I get interrupted, I don't like going to fights low-health.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Sensuki posted:

I'm honestly surprised at the amount of people that admit to rest-spamming the crap out of the IE games. Half the fun of playing these types of games is the resource management part of it. If you just rest spam after every encounter, you're basically bypassing the intended challenge, and for ..... ? To win in a not fun way I guess?

I never really had too many issues where if I didn't have X resource that I couldn't get past X encounter without a pyrrhic victory. You just had to get a bit creative sometimes - which is fun (and no, that does not mean using other exploits).

When you're in a mindset to play optimally, not using a tool given isn't really a thing that gets thought. And hell, half the appeal of dnd to a lot of people is how badly they can break it over their knee.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Well in Baldur's Gate 1 if you make your main character a Mage then you get 2 spell casts per rest (hope you didn't pick something stupid) then you get to ineffectually flail at enemies until you get murdered by a housecat. At higher levels this isn't as big of a deal but theres no reason beyond roleplaying or a self-imposed challenge not to rest constantly. You get to cast all your fun spells again and you instantly heal to full if you have that option enabled.

PoE is better about this because you get the per-encounter abilities and you will generally be able to autoattack to some effect even as a Wizard so the "do I use this now or save it for later" debate is lessened. The Camping Supplies and Resting Bonus mechanics also encourage you to play for as long as possible without resting.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sensuki posted:

Because it didn't actually require management? In the absence of something to prevent rest-spamming, the "intended challenge" is self-imposed and arbitrary.

Like, it's one thing if it's a huge hassle to get a rest in, but it was often so god drat easy in those games. And if random encounters were meant to cut down on it... well, hey, good job encouraging the exact opposite, game mechanic.

The Crotch fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 25, 2015

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
There's also a feedback loop there. Since you could rest trivially and almost anywhere (with a few exceptions), the people designing the encounters had no way of knowing what level of resources you'd have at the beginning of a given encounter. Because people tended to rest frequently, the assumption as time went on seemed to be that you'd have full resources, and encounters would tend to be structured that way, which means that you're actually coming from a position of disadvantage if you don't rest all the time. Putting in a mechanic that limits that ends up making things better both for the players and the designers.

(And yes, in early BG1 if you played a wizard it was basically mandatory unless you really enjoyed dying to gibberlings.)

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Christ, yeah as good as the BG games were and still are, the rule system is a god drat mess

Thoughtful design decisions is definitely one of the key reasons I'm more excited about PoE than I ever was about other kickstarter RPGS, like Wasteland 2 which from early on seemed like it was gonna indulge heavily on Nostalgic Hardcore Gameplay Conventions

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

GetWellGamers posted:

There's a line of thinking that says any sort of loss = Not Fun, and any kind of win = Fun, so any act that increases winning is not just worth it, but the entire point.

xthetenth posted:

When you're in a mindset to play optimally, not using a tool given isn't really a thing that gets thought. And hell, half the appeal of dnd to a lot of people is how badly they can break it over their knee.

The Crotch posted:

Because it didn't actually require management? In the absence of something to prevent rest-spamming, the "intended challenge" is self-imposed and arbitrary.

Like, it's one thing if it's a huge hassle to get a rest in, but it was often so god drat easy in those games. And if random encounters were meant to cut down on it... well, hey, good job encouraging the exact opposite, game mechanic.

The way I play the Infinity Engine games is to minimize the amount of rests, and that is the indication of my performance in the game - rather than how easily I was able to cheese an encounter. The longer I can go without resting (and not using exploits) - the better I have played / the more I have succeeded. This playstyle promotes using the resources available that the game gives you that people probably just ignore because they can install the rest anywhere mod and spam resting - I know lots of people that never use potions, for instance. You get given a metric gently caress tonne of potions in BG2 - quaff a few of those and you're back to full HP, no worries. No need to rest.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It takes so long to drink more than one potion though, thats valuable seconds of gaming time.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Make a level 1 ranger for $250 from Ruatai(?), he comes with an arbalest. Take the arbalest and dump him if you don't need him (P brings out party screen).

Regarding resting, I always tried to minimize it at much as possible and survive as long as I can on other things. I remember a game called Blade of Darkness that called you a pussy if you saved too much, IE games should have something similar with resting.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Sensuki posted:

The way I play the Infinity Engine games is to minimize the amount of rests, and that is the indication of my performance in the game - rather than how easily I was able to cheese an encounter. The longer I can go without resting (and not using exploits) - the better I have played / the more I have succeeded. This playstyle promotes using the resources available that the game gives you that people probably just ignore because they can install the rest anywhere mod and spam resting - I know lots of people that never use potions, for instance. You get given a metric gently caress tonne of potions in BG2 - quaff a few of those and you're back to full HP, no worries. No need to rest.

Well, you clearly know the system well and are engaging with it. But the combat system is not the only part of the game. People play RPGs for many different reasons like plot, exploration, and so on and so forth. Combat presents itself as both trivial and obtuse in BG2 (the one I played) so the max enjoyment I got out of it was watching the animations and seeing all the rad D&D monsters live on screen. If the game was Kaizo Forgotten Realms I would have dropped it like hot trash.

The combat system was fun as far is it provided light challenge and was over fast enough. You might feel like a WWII codebreaker when you first learn Ruby Lash or whatever spell to strip magical defenses, but until then you are fighting rear end in a top hat wizards that bubble up and auto-win. Combat was bizarre, untrustworthy and unforgiving. If it was one of your first times playing through the game and you weren't resting nearly every chance you got, you were obviously and objectively making it much, much harder on yourself.

If you find that fun, ask for a harder difficulty setting in PoE. But c'mon. You can recognize that rest-spamming was integral to the enjoyment of the game for many, many people. And PoE is not just for the hardcores who scoff at it.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

frajaq posted:

Enemies doing the smart thing? NO!

Move your mage.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Spamming rests in an IE game is as cheesy as rerolling your stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Having to constantly move the mage instead of using him/her to actually cast spells is the opposite of fun for me. Which is why stoneskin and mirror image were a staple in BG2. As well as the rest spam to make sure they were up again for each fight. I'm looking forward to warriors who can actually hold the line.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 25, 2015

• Locked thread