Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah Dolphin isn't a modern video game, your video card isn't the thing doing most of the work or holding performance back. Besides the stuff Hace is asking, what graphics settings are you using? Are you trying to run the game at 4x resolution with everything turned up/on? Are the slowdowns you're talking about occasional or is the whole game running at single-digit FPS? Have you tried just running it at native resolution with no bells and whistles?

Xenoblade is one of the more demanding games, so if you have everything turned up and are expecting perfect performance just because you have a modern computer than you might be a little disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

VDay posted:

Have you tried just running it at native resolution with no bells and whistles?

This is one of the best and yet probably most forgotten pieces of sound advice when it comes to dolphin and emulators in general. If you have an issue that you cannot find a resolution for on the web then try running the game with settings that are as vanilla as possible first and then start slowly cranking it up from there. Isolate your problem.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
You also want to make sure that your GPU isn't running the game in adaptive mode, otherwise it'll try to downclock whenever it can, causing stutters.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

WiiFitForWindows8 posted:

So I've4 got a 770 and stuff and Im running the HD retexture with Xenoblade, but Im getting crazy amounts of slowdown. Is it my rig or just the nature of XB?

Definitely try OpenGL. The way Xenoblade handles texture swapping or something doesn't agree with D3D and I will get huge chugging slow down when characters use their skills.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Got Star Fox: Assault up, running, playable, and stable at 1080p60, 4xMSAA, 16xAF. God drat, Fox's head has a lot of detail in it for a GameCube game. Now, if only I could get some better textures for the button prompts...

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Kazinsal posted:

Got Star Fox: Assault up, running, playable, and stable at 1080p60, 4xMSAA, 16xAF. God drat, Fox's head has a lot of detail in it for a GameCube game. Now, if only I could get some better textures for the button prompts...

And if only people wanted to play Star Fox Assault

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2015/02/07/game-modification-60-fps-hacks/

With the clock modifier in the wild, people are now searching for things that need to be modified for games to run at 60 FPS if they're locked below that. It's pretty neat.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Anyone know what's causing these weird graphical glitches in Brawl?

A single shadow takes the shape of a refrigerator magnet. Scales with the distance between characters.

Corruption

Various textures replaced with orange blobs. Not pictured, orange screen between menus. Some animations (such as Snake's entrance animation) cause the character to flash orange.

Also, I can get mostly consistent 60fps, but it hiccups in consistent spots: the beginning of a match, the first time in a match I use a special move. Lowering my settings does nothing to speed it up.

Also, V-sync doesn't actually seem to do anything. I get massive screen-tearing.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Are you on the most recent revision? Do you have EFB copies to texture or to RAM? How powerful is your computer?

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

flatluigi posted:

Are you on the most recent revision? Do you have EFB copies to texture or to RAM? How powerful is your computer?

Thanks, unchecking disable EFB copies fixed all the graphical issues, except V-sync.

I am on the most recent revision

My specs:
AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
AMD Radeon HD 6570
8GB RAM

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to get Super Mario Galaxy running smoothly but I'm getting slowdown to about 30fps in some places, even with graphical settings set to their absolute minimum. Specific examples are on the file select screen, whenever Mario does a spin jump, and in observatories when choosing which level to go to. I can get a smooth frame rate if it's just Mario running around the spaceship, but I just get choppy slowdown when I do certain things which is very annoying. Running it on a GTX 970, with the dolphinbar accessory.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Assuming you're using the latest build and not a stable release:

Go into the nvidia control panel -> manage 3D sections, choose dolphin and change the power management from "adaptive" to "maximum performance"

Also switch your backend from D3D to OpenGL

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hace posted:

Assuming you're using the latest build and not a stable release:

Go into the nvidia control panel -> manage 3D sections, choose dolphin and change the power management from "adaptive" to "maximum performance"

Also switch your backend from D3D to OpenGL

Nailed it. Thanks!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is there a site out there with "optimal" settings for every game for Dolphin?

Really just interested in uber max graffix in Xenoblade and Wind Waker.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Gyshall posted:

Is there a site out there with "optimal" settings for every game for Dolphin?

Really just interested in uber max graffix in Xenoblade and Wind Waker.

Sort of. Dolphin has a pretty good wiki which details most of the information that you want to know for each game. You can easily find them by going to Google and typing, "Dolphin wiki [insert game name here]". Here is the one for Xenoblade Chronicles:

https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Xenoblade_Chronicles

Note that within most of the game page wikis there is a link on the right hand side under "See also..." where you will see a "Dolphin Forum Thread". That links you directly to the dolphin forums topic for that game and is very useful to read and post in with questions.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Not sure if anyone else gets this problem, but in basically every game I play on Dolphin, GC or Wii, I get this intermittent split second freeze. It actually happens kinda frequently but not really enough for it to be overly distracting, but I'd like to be able to fix it at least. I've noticed it happens quite often when something new is loaded into the scene, such as when Bowser appears in Galaxy or something like that, so I dunno if it's related to memory emulation or something.

Texture cache is set to fast and EFB copies is set to texture. Otherwise my specs are an i5 3570k (just at stock), 16gb of RAM and an AMD R9 290. Framerates mostly stick around 60 except in certain cases. There's just that weird freeze to fix and it'd be mostly perfect.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

cat doter posted:

Not sure if anyone else gets this problem, but in basically every game I play on Dolphin, GC or Wii, I get this intermittent split second freeze. It actually happens kinda frequently but not really enough for it to be overly distracting, but I'd like to be able to fix it at least. I've noticed it happens quite often when something new is loaded into the scene, such as when Bowser appears in Galaxy or something like that, so I dunno if it's related to memory emulation or something.

Texture cache is set to fast and EFB copies is set to texture. Otherwise my specs are an i5 3570k (just at stock), 16gb of RAM and an AMD R9 290. Framerates mostly stick around 60 except in certain cases. There's just that weird freeze to fix and it'd be mostly perfect.

Could be shader cache being generated. I know in Metroid Prime's case you get frequent split second freezes that goes away over time and it's because the shaders are being generated on the fly for the game. You could overclock your i5 to at least 4Ghz though and see if that helps any.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

cat doter posted:

Check your GPU usage, it might be operating in low power mode.

e: and yeah small stutters will occur in any game you play for the first time due to the shader cache.

Also make sure you're not using vsync with d3d.

Hace fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 18, 2015

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Has anybody here tried playing RE4 on dolphin, either the original gc version or the wii edition? It plays drat near flawlessly when there is actual gameplay going on, but when playing a video it'll play fine for like 30 seconds and then the audio desyncs from the picture (which gets stuck) and then the whole thing freezes. If I skip the movies the game will continue on normally...but then I can't watch the movies. This happens even at native game res and no graphics enhancements whatsoever and on both versions of the game :(

PC specs
Intel core2quad q6600 oc to 2.8ghz
8gb RAM
AMD Radeon 5870

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Desyncing shouldn't be happening on recent build, what version are you using?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Hace posted:

Desyncing shouldn't be happening on recent build, what version are you using?

Currently 4.0-5637 but about to upgrade to whatever is latest on the website...

I dunno what the technicals behind "desync"are but the video fps drops to like 1-5 when playing, but is constant 30 during gameplay.

E: now on 5656 and same thing. Also, forgot to mention that I had to switch the audio back end to OpenAL and increase the latency to 8 just to get the movies to play at all, and not just go at 0fps.

site fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 25, 2015

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Try changing the cpu clock override setting to around 50%, and reset the audio back to XAudio2

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Nope.

It's weird, GPU usage will spike to 99% and the movie will crap out for a minute or so, and then a scene change in-movie will happen and GPU will drop down to 20-30% for about 15-20 seconds, then another scene change and GPU goes back up to 99% and it craps out again. :S

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Hace posted:

Check your GPU usage, it might be operating in low power mode.

e: and yeah small stutters will occur in any game you play for the first time due to the shader cache.

Also make sure you're not using vsync with d3d.

is there something wrong with the vsync on d3d?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Since it's limited to double buffering, it only runs at 15, 30, 45, 60, etc. So if you're running at 60 at you have just the tiniest dip due to something like shader cache generation, it'll dip down to 45 and slow down dramatically. It can be unnoticable in some games and cause other games to chug way more than normal.

Since OpenGL uses triple buffering with vsync it doesn't have this limitation.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Hace posted:

Since it's limited to double buffering, it only runs at 15, 30, 45, 60, etc. So if you're running at 60 at you have just the tiniest dip due to something like shader cache generation, it'll dip down to 45 and slow down dramatically. It can be unnoticable in some games and cause other games to chug way more than normal.

Since OpenGL uses triple buffering with vsync it doesn't have this limitation.

oh right, duh, I just assumed they implemented triple buffering on d3d

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Apparently DX11 makes it hard to implement or something, I dunno

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Note that the Dolphin development team widely considers the D3D backend to be secondary to the OGL backend. We mostly work on the OGL backend and rely on community contributions for D3D.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
is there anything special I need to do to play gamecube games on this?>

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Nope. We automatically detect whether the game is a Gamecube game or a Wii game when you load it.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

Note that the Dolphin development team widely considers the D3D backend to be secondary to the OGL backend. We mostly work on the OGL backend and rely on community contributions for D3D.

is that because OGL is easier to work with since it's all open and stuff? or is it just a preference of the developers?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Most of us develop on Linux because we're hardcore hackers so OGL is our first priority.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
and how do I go about adding each game to steam seperatly to use those nice icons? also I tried F Zero GX and the sand level ran like rear end, mute city and everything else was 60 FPS... I wonder whats up with that? Can you tell me a couple good gamecube games that have like perfect compatibility? Also my rig is beastly if you must know. i7 and 980GTX with 16 gigs of ram on windows 7, and i'm using chrome if it matters.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Black Baby Goku posted:

and how do I go about adding each game to steam seperatly to use those nice icons?
http://scottrice.github.io/Ice/

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

This, although the author has made it way more complicated than it used to be, but still sweet, especially with Big Picture.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Still haven't solved the movie desync issue, but now that I've used them I've also noticed that using save States even once will make the game poo poo itself and start playing at 15-20 fps constantly. Ugh.

Big props to Suspicious Dish though, you guys on the Dolphin team are doing amazing things with this emulator!

site fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 25, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I asked our devs and they've never heard of this bug before. Try using the latest nightly release on the OGL engine, with otherwise stock settings.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Suspicious Dish posted:

I asked our devs and they've never heard of this bug before. Try using the latest nightly release on the OGL engine, with otherwise stock settings.
Okay, doing all three. Game definitely seems to run slower unless I use OpenAL and increase the latency though.

Movies can play, or at least play for a long time, if I haven't used save states as well, I am finding. Don't know if this required restart of just the emulator, or the whole system though, because I've done both.

E: With xaudio2: Audio from HDMI to TV through video card to causes crackling, audio through creative audigy dedicated sound card does not?

With OpenAL: latency at 7 seems to be the sweet spot for me through hdmi, but it always crackles through the sound card, even at default latency.

After deleting the My Documents\Dolphin Emulator folder and trying again, now even the game is slower and movies are no go. But I'm away from home now so can't fiddle with it some more right now.

site fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 25, 2015

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

after trying for an hour to get this working... I give up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
February Progress Report is up! This month marks the death of old ugly hacks and the birth of various rendering fixes, region-independent INI files, a new "traversal server" system for netplay, and Four Swords with your mom.

Meanwhile, the 3DS emulator Citra is going through seemingly daily milestones. The latest of which is an experimental, barebones OpenGL renderer that can run Ocarina of Time 3D at a playable framerate!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj8sPsB5qXQ

• Locked thread