Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Sleeveless posted:

Just a tip to To The Moon, if you want to tell a serious emotional story about life and death maybe don't frame it with two bumbling assholes who keep spouting Street Fighter and Dr. Who references every five minutes. It's like they watched Eternal Sunshine For The Spotless Mind and thought that Elijah Wood's creepy panty-sniffing nerdlinger should be the protagonist.

On the bright side, they had the sense to shut up those characters during the big important reveal, and it was a pretty effective one, for me. On the negative side again, what should have been character development for the bigger of the two idiots instead turned into, iirc, an oblique Plants vs Zombies reference. Also, Animorphs was a plot point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

This might be a big spoiler for some people so I'm gonna hide it behind some black bars.

As someone who has a sibling with autism and has been around people on every part of the autism spectrum, To The Moon's depiction of Aspergers was really goddamn awful. To The Moon seemed like a good concept to be absolutely ruined by awful writing across the board.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Dude, just learn not to jump over a monster while it's doing its charge up for a flashbang thing.

If I time it right cracking it in the head sometimes stops the flashbang. And since I get stunned apparently no matter what I'll take my chances with that.

Seriously. Turning my back, putting things between us, running away the flashbang always gets me.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Games where NPCs surrender or beg for mercy or whatever... and they don't actually follow through with accepting you sparing them. In Skryim a bandit grovels and begs for mercy so I put my weapon away? He'll just stand back up and attack me. Far Cry 2, injured guy who crawls away? Certainly wont stop him from still trying to take shots at me.

My problem isn't that they do this, I'd be ok with enemies who try to trick me. My problem is that its ALWAYS the case. I guess its to much effort to expand on your surrender mechanics to make the guy run off and despawn.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That bothered me about Dying Light, too. Guns in that game are fairly rare unless you run into a gang of bandit/mercs; you won't find any just sitting out in the open and merchants barely sell any. Therefore, generic thug baddies and looters react appropriately when you aim a goddamn gun at them by putting their hands up and going "woah take it easy man". They even do that in the intro cutscene of the game because they know that shooting attracts zombies. But even if you don't put the gun down the dudes change their mind not even 5 seconds later and just bum rush you with their pipe wrenches and tire irons anyway! :geno:

And what's even more annoying is that bandits will totally run away from the fight if poo poo gets rough, I.E. you take out everyone but one lone dude or a bunch of the fast viral zombies show up or so on. But no, even if you've got a gun trained right on their face with iron sights they all think "no wait I can pull this out".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Leal posted:

Games where NPCs surrender or beg for mercy or whatever... and they don't actually follow through with accepting you sparing them. In Skryim a bandit grovels and begs for mercy so I put my weapon away? He'll just stand back up and attack me. Far Cry 2, injured guy who crawls away? Certainly wont stop him from still trying to take shots at me.

My problem isn't that they do this, I'd be ok with enemies who try to trick me. My problem is that its ALWAYS the case. I guess its to much effort to expand on your surrender mechanics to make the guy run off and despawn.

Yeah, this worked exactly once. Rise of the Triad. Because it was actually new and novel at that point, no one had done it before, so it actually fooled you the first time and was funny when they'd go from begging for their lives to attacking again (and it was probably beyond them to have enemies actually surrender in that game). But the joke's been done now, if you want to have that happen in a modern game you really need to have them actually give up most of the time. I don't understand why they didn't just make them surrender properly in Skyrim. Just have them slink off to the corner and cower there until you leave, or have them flee toward the exit.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Leal posted:

My guess is that it's probably a ratings thing, killing people that are begging for their life is worse than people shooting at you, especially if you aren't punished for it. I think that was the case with the punisher game at least, they had to remove the speech from the torture kills or it would have gotten an Adults Only rating.

Hel has a new favorite as of 15:18 on Feb 24, 2015

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It doesn't really bother me in Skyrim or Far Cry 2 because I can accept that I'm supposed to give them the deathblow in grim gray Vikingland or amoral wartorn African hellhole (and hell no I'm not giving up my chance to loot an enemy corpse in Skyrim :cmon:), but this did sort of bother me in Hitman: Absolution. Enemies themselves won't surrender, but if you grab one and the others see you holding onto him, they'll point their guns at you but they won't shoot and they start trying to talk you down, like "Come on, no one has to get hurt here, just let him go" or "There's nowhere to go, rear end in a top hat, be smart and let go of him."

...for about 10 seconds before they open fire on you and the hostage anyway. To be fair, this is usually presaged with a "Last chance, pal, I'm warning you" or something similar, and I can see the more scummy bad guys like the mafia dudes or whatever deciding to cut their losses and lose a guy in exchange for taking you down, but it seems weird that cops or corporate security guys would be so quick to light up one of their own men. It seems like it would be more interesting if they'd just hold you up, call for reinforcements, whatever, and you had to actually find a way out.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Enemies will run away and stay away in Fallout 3/New Vegas.. buuut you don't get any XP or loot from a runner.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In metal gear solid 4 you can sneak up behind someone who hasn't spotted you and point a gun at them, tell them to stick 'em up and they'll actually surrender, letting you safely knock them out.

Hel posted:

My guess is that it's probably a ratings thing, killing people that are begging for their life is worse than people shooting at you, especially if you aren't punished for it. I think that was the case with the punisher game at least, they had to remove the speech from the torture kills or it would have gotten an Adults Only rating.

It's probably more about tone than ratings because games like dishonored have no problem letting you murder cowering civilians for no reason.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

muscles like this? posted:

The exploding zombies in Dying Light are the worst. Mostly because there's nothing you can do to them, any attack just causes them to explode but if you leave them alone they just run up to you and explode. The damage is so high that if one blows up next to you you're just dead. Also the explosion attracts fast zombies. Basically everything about them is completely unfun.
A shield will stop 100% of a bombers damage. But yeah them and the huge rebar guys are really lovely.

CJacobs posted:

That bothered me about Dying Light, too. Guns in that game are fairly rare unless you run into a gang of bandit/mercs; you won't find any just sitting out in the open and merchants barely sell any. Therefore, generic thug baddies and looters react appropriately when you aim a goddamn gun at them by putting their hands up and going "woah take it easy man". They even do that in the intro cutscene of the game because they know that shooting attracts zombies. But even if you don't put the gun down the dudes change their mind not even 5 seconds later and just bum rush you with their pipe wrenches and tire irons anyway! :geno:

And what's even more annoying is that bandits will totally run away from the fight if poo poo gets rough, I.E. you take out everyone but one lone dude or a bunch of the fast viral zombies show up or so on. But no, even if you've got a gun trained right on their face with iron sights they all think "no wait I can pull this out".
I always figured it as them betting that you won't risk shooting and attracting virals.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Leal posted:

Shadow of Mordor handles this pretty well. I mean, the Orcs don't surrender, but if you scare them enough that they decide to flee, they loving haul rear end. I chased one orc for like ten minutes assuming his AI would eventually reset to fight mode, but it never did and he ended up throwing himself off a cliff to get away from me.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sleeveless posted:

Just a tip to To The Moon, if you want to tell a serious emotional story about life and death maybe don't frame it with two bumbling assholes who keep spouting Street Fighter and Dr. Who references every five minutes. It's like they watched Eternal Sunshine For The Spotless Mind and thought that Elijah Wood's creepy panty-sniffing nerdlinger should be the protagonist.
Yeah, in retrospect To The Moon really isn't that good. It just came out at a time where there really wasn't any good story-driven games coming out. Now there are and they're a lot better than To The Moon so it makes look even worse. It had its moments though and I still enjoyed it enough.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 01:18 on Feb 25, 2015

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I've been playing through the first Metroid Prime game again, and it gives you no indication if you've found all of the pickups in an area. Once I finish this next section, I'm gonna be 9 missile tanks short of maximum and have absolutely no way of knowing where those last tanks are short of consulting GameFAQs. You'd think that Nintendo would have made a change like that for the Trilogy re-release, but no such luck.

Also gently caress the ghosts and their frantic miniboss music every time you enter a bunch of rooms in the ruins. They're not hard to kill, they're just loving tedious to fight even with the x-ray visor. Most other monsters in the game have the common courtesy to stay dead for a while. Not the ghosts. You could kill a pack of them, leave out the doorway, turn around and re-enter and they'd be back for round 2.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think it's a flaw of many games that your opponent rarely ever flees from you. Real life warfare has never been dependent on killing every single soldier on the opposing side, but breaking the integrity of the enemy's army, or capturing some strategic objective (say a bridge, or a village). Breaking the will of your enemy to fight simply helps that goal. A platoon of disarmed prisoners can be guarded by a handful of your own guys, and a routed army is one that can no longer efficiently resist you (and is vulnerable to getting slaughtered by pursuers).

Most non grognard games don't seem to be interesting in simulating this dynamic, and it suffers for it. So when my supersoldier protagonist rampages through a base, the defenders should flee once they realise they're not getting through my regenerating health. It gets me what I want (a captured base), and it gets them what they want (to live to fight another day).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Counterpoint: killing mooks is more fun than not killing mooks.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The original rear end Creed actually had that. If you did enough brutal kills, usually with hidden blade counters, the guards would panic and run away.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I wish Fire Emblem wasn't so easy.

Phobophilia posted:

I think it's a flaw of many games that your opponent rarely ever flees from you. Real life warfare has never been dependent on killing every single soldier on the opposing side, but breaking the integrity of the enemy's army, or capturing some strategic objective (say a bridge, or a village). Breaking the will of your enemy to fight simply helps that goal. A platoon of disarmed prisoners can be guarded by a handful of your own guys, and a routed army is one that can no longer efficiently resist you (and is vulnerable to getting slaughtered by pursuers).

Most non grognard games don't seem to be interesting in simulating this dynamic, and it suffers for it. So when my supersoldier protagonist rampages through a base, the defenders should flee once they realise they're not getting through my regenerating health. It gets me what I want (a captured base), and it gets them what they want (to live to fight another day).

I Am Alive tried something like that. It'd be cool to have a survival game that expanded on the whole psychological battle of trying to get past a group of guys without wasting precious bullets.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, in retrospect To The Moon really isn't that good. It just came out at a time where there really wasn't any good story-driven games coming out. Now there are and they're a lot better than To The Moon so it makes look even worse. It had its moments though and I still enjoyed it enough.
I still haven't gotten around to playing To The Moon, but I have to say it's shuffled a long way down my backlog now. I have this weird opinion that there were games with good stories before 2011 so I'm afraid it'll seem even worse by comparison.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I still haven't gotten around to playing To The Moon, but I have to say it's shuffled a long way down my backlog now. I have this weird opinion that there were games with good stories before 2011 so I'm afraid it'll seem even worse by comparison.
Not saying that there wasn't any well written games before, because there are, it's just that at that time there weren't many new ones coming out so that's why people latched on to it.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It was unique for its time and can be played to the end in a couple of hours. I liked the soundtrack at least.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

That's what cutscenes are for though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Phobophilia posted:

It's especially bad when you're holed up in an easily defended position just killing every guy who comes through the door, but they just keep coming instead of waiting outside for you to pop out and get shot.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So since I actually have cause to play my 3DS again, there's something dragging down all my games.

Nintendo, how long has it been since the GBA? Why can we still not get a handheld with a screen that works in natural light. I live in a place that's sunny as hell, and any time it's not overcast, if I'm outside I can not see anything on screen. It kind of defeats the purpose of using a hand held system.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

Anatharon posted:

I Am Alive tried something like that. It'd be cool to have a survival game that expanded on the whole psychological battle of trying to get past a group of guys without wasting precious bullets.

Didn't I Am Alive have that thing where you still had to find ways to execute people, though? They'd just kinda stand around until you murdered the poo poo out of them. That or I am a psychopath and went out of my way to find ways to kill helpless people and honestly I'm not sure which.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Nuebot posted:

So since I actually have cause to play my 3DS again, there's something dragging down all my games.

Nintendo, how long has it been since the GBA? Why can we still not get a handheld with a screen that works in natural light. I live in a place that's sunny as hell, and any time it's not overcast, if I'm outside I can not see anything on screen. It kind of defeats the purpose of using a hand held system.

Uuuugh thank you. I like to sit outside in the garden when it's warm and play games but gently caress if I can see anything.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Tiggum posted:

It's especially bad when you're holed up in an easily defended position just killing every guy who comes through the door, but they just keep coming instead of waiting outside for you to pop out and get shot.

Sniper Elite 3 is pretty good at this. I was reasonably patient but found that enemies were quite content to hide and pop out for a quick look every now and then, even saying to each other "wait for him to move up!" or "don't let him draw you out"". It forced you to move and possibly put yourself at risk. It's always great to see a guy hugging a wall, thinking he's perfectly safe when you moved a couple of minutes ago and can easily take him out.

Masiakasaurus
Oct 11, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

I've been playing through the first Metroid Prime game again, and it gives you no indication if you've found all of the pickups in an area. Once I finish this next section, I'm gonna be 9 missile tanks short of maximum and have absolutely no way of knowing where those last tanks are short of consulting GameFAQs. You'd think that Nintendo would have made a change like that for the Trilogy re-release, but no such luck.

Also gently caress the ghosts and their frantic miniboss music every time you enter a bunch of rooms in the ruins. They're not hard to kill, they're just loving tedious to fight even with the x-ray visor. Most other monsters in the game have the common courtesy to stay dead for a while. Not the ghosts. You could kill a pack of them, leave out the doorway, turn around and re-enter and they'd be back for round 2.
The ghosts sure are tedious but they also don't lock the room when they appear. Most of the time you can simply run through and ignore them. Doesn't help if you're hunting for pickups but for just general travel it's handy.

Enemies in Metroid Prime respawn after you move 2 rooms away. So if you leave a room and enter a corridor and then turn around and go back, the room is still cleared, but if you go room -> corridor -> room and back they return. (This is also why some rooms are separated by otherwise pointless empty passages, to force a respawn of enemies if you try to leave and resupply.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Masiakasaurus posted:

Enemies in Metroid Prime respawn after you move 2 rooms away. So if you leave a room and enter a corridor and then turn around and go back, the room is still cleared, but if you go room -> corridor -> room and back they return. (This is also why some rooms are separated by otherwise pointless empty passages, to force a respawn of enemies if you try to leave and resupply.)

This is actually because of how the game loads, it's not the encounter design. The game only ever loads rooms when they're needed, and unloads rooms the moment they're no longer pertinent, so at most it will only ever have the current room and any adjacent ones in memory. Corridors are easy; it only has to load one room, since you just came from the other direction. It does come out as that kind of encounter design, since a big fight will always be in a big-load room, but that's not the intention.

Masiakasaurus
Oct 11, 2012

Cleretic posted:

This is actually because of how the game loads, it's not the encounter design. The game only ever loads rooms when they're needed, and unloads rooms the moment they're no longer pertinent, so at most it will only ever have the current room and any adjacent ones in memory. Corridors are easy; it only has to load one room, since you just came from the other direction. It does come out as that kind of encounter design, since a big fight will always be in a big-load room, but that's not the intention.
Now that you say that it makes so much sense. Guess I just took it for granted that it was intentional!

I was thinking of the room where you get the Wavebuster, which requires a ton of missiles and the tunnel leading to it is one of the few in the ruins to not have scarabs. It seemed intentional so you couldn't farm, but it's also a largeish room with lots of enemies, so it's probably just to save memory.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Pretty much every major story-driven indie game has this problem where it has a huge army of fanboys shouting its praises before it even comes out and it's priced so high that no skeptical person is willing to drop $10-$20 on a glorified cutscene so you don't really get any honest, critical feedback until it inevitably goes on sale or hits a Humble Bundle 6 months later.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Masiakasaurus posted:

Now that you say that it makes so much sense. Guess I just took it for granted that it was intentional!

I was thinking of the room where you get the Wavebuster, which requires a ton of missiles and the tunnel leading to it is one of the few in the ruins to not have scarabs. It seemed intentional so you couldn't farm, but it's also a largeish room with lots of enemies, so it's probably just to save memory.
No, they want to make farming super easy so you never have to grind. Hence the presence of large groups of easy enemies like Scarabs or Beetles.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The ghosts are one of my only gripes with metroid prime 1. At some point they start showing up in old rooms too so they kind of ruin my favorite area. They are really tedious to fight which wouldn't be terrible if you only ever had to do it one time per encounter, but since they respawn, later on you'll bump into 3 different rooms with them just going from one end of the area to the other.

Metroid prime 2 doesn't have them but it does add those dark pirate commandos which are about as obnoxious to fight, I just don't remember running into them respawning all the time for whatever reason. That game does at least really lower the time it takes to kill them once you get the dark visor, which doesn't really ever happen for the ghosts in metroid prime 1.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Incidentally, that's the original reason for why megaman has the little corridor before all the bosses.

Now it's tradition.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SavTargaryen posted:

Didn't I Am Alive have that thing where you still had to find ways to execute people, though? They'd just kinda stand around until you murdered the poo poo out of them. That or I am a psychopath and went out of my way to find ways to kill helpless people and honestly I'm not sure which.

I think it did and that's why I said "I'd like to see a game where".

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Deus Ex came out in 2001.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The ghosts are one of my only gripes with metroid prime 1. At some point they start showing up in old rooms too so they kind of ruin my favorite area. They are really tedious to fight which wouldn't be terrible if you only ever had to do it one time per encounter, but since they respawn, later on you'll bump into 3 different rooms with them just going from one end of the area to the other.

Metroid prime 2 doesn't have them but it does add those dark pirate commandos which are about as obnoxious to fight, I just don't remember running into them respawning all the time for whatever reason. That game does at least really lower the time it takes to kill them once you get the dark visor, which doesn't really ever happen for the ghosts in metroid prime 1.

It's been a while but I thought a super missile was a one hit kill against the ghosts.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

SavTargaryen posted:

I don't think that this was the case in I Am Alive. I just got finished playing it recently, and I did like the AI and the decisions they made based on fear and intimidation. If you pull a gun on them, they'll temporarily surrender, but if you take too long and don't 'prove' that you have a bullet in the gun, they'll call your bluff and start attacking you (it's even more embarrassing if you pull the trigger and you don't have a bullet). Furthermore, if you kill the 'pack leader', most of the time the others will permanently surrender and you can then either leave them in peace or give them a non-lethal whack on the head (I say non-lethal in video game land terms; if you knock someone out with a heavy blow like that in real life...) What I think you're thinking of is when you shoot someone in the leg or hit someone with an arrow: they'll struggle on the ground and you'll have the completely optional decision to end their suffering with a machete in a particularly psychotic manner.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

RBA Starblade posted:

It's been a while but I thought a super missile was a one hit kill against the ghosts.

It might be, but they are hard to hit with the Super Missiles because they are so fast. They are difficult if you happen to fight them before you find the x-ray visor as you can't track them and by the time you see one appear you have to dodge them and fire back in a short window of time. Not to mention their attack buzzes you out and stuns you for a second, and there are always 3 of them attacking at once. AND they only suffer damage from the charge beam.

They are just tedious once you get the x-ray visor though, and once you beat them the first time in a certain room you can just walk open the doors since they won't lock on you.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

FutureCop posted:

I don't think that this was the case in I Am Alive. I just got finished playing it recently, and I did like the AI and the decisions they made based on fear and intimidation. If you pull a gun on them, they'll temporarily surrender, but if you take too long and don't 'prove' that you have a bullet in the gun, they'll call your bluff and start attacking you (it's even more embarrassing if you pull the trigger and you don't have a bullet). Furthermore, if you kill the 'pack leader', most of the time the others will permanently surrender and you can then either leave them in peace or give them a non-lethal whack on the head (I say non-lethal in video game land terms; if you knock someone out with a heavy blow like that in real life...) What I think you're thinking of is when you shoot someone in the leg or hit someone with an arrow: they'll struggle on the ground and you'll have the completely optional decision to end their suffering with a machete in a particularly psychotic manner.

I did not actually know that! Well, I guess I executed a bunch of permanently surrendered motherfuckers because other games have trained me to think they'll try to jump me if I leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Sunless Sea doesn't vary close to enough early on between games for me to consider having another crack at it after dying 5 hours into a campaign for one mistake.