Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like Rob and genuinely think he's one of the better players but I've never made it through that season. First time I just couldn't take Russell anymore (after having just watching Samoa and Heroes vs Villains too). Second time I couldn't take Phillip (after having just watched Caramoan). Third I just got bored and bailed.

I'm finishing up a Micronesia rewatch now and its really startling how good this season is considering how many players quit or are medically removed or how many are such idiots or how much Natalie annoys me. But there's so many twists and turns and good game play. And James, Cirie, and Amanda are easily three of my favorite Survivors and Parv isn't too far behind.

I realize now what I meant when I called Eliza and Ami questionable "Favorites." It wasn't a criticism of them its just that I LOVE the other Favorites so drat much that Eliza and Ami felt lesser in comparison. James, Amanda, Cirie, Penner, Yau, and Parv are absolute favorites. I hate Fairplay but he's undeniably memorable on an upper tier level. I like Eliza and Ami but compared they just felt off to me at first. But they do their part and deliver in the season.

DurosKlav posted:

How else were the producers going to get Boston Rob or Russell a win?

Though I doubt even the producers could rig the game enough for Russell to win.

Russell would have to first understand that people have to want you to win for you to win and stop whining that the game's broken because being a miserable rear end in a top hat is held against him. And that will never happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

SalTheBard posted:

Has anyone been listening to "The Evolution of Strategy" podcast series on RHAP? I'm almost done with Borneo and I found it really interesting look back at the series. Are any of the other seasons worth getting? I'm tempted just to spend the $20 and get the whole first season.

I've listened to all of them so far and would definitely recommend getting all of them. But if you were to pick and choose, the two season Rob was on (Amazon and All Stars) are by far the best. In terms of seasons that he wasn't on I think Pearl Islands is the best one of those, it was really hilarious. But really you should just get the whole set if you're a classic Survivor fan, its a more than reasonable price for how many hours of content it is.

It's great because Rob has kind of become very PC and non-confrontational on his podcast, he's much more candid in these and isn't afraid to be insulting even if he knows the contestant in real life and its hilarious.

STAC Goat posted:

I realize now what I meant when I called Eliza and Ami questionable "Favorites." It wasn't a criticism of them its just that I LOVE the other Favorites so drat much that Eliza and Ami felt lesser in comparison. James, Amanda, Cirie, Penner, Yau, and Parv are absolute favorites. I hate Fairplay but he's undeniably memorable on an upper tier level. I like Eliza and Ami but compared they just felt off to me at first. But they do their part and deliver in the season.

Ami was totally forgettable on Micronesia, but Eliza was responsible for probably the best moment of the whole season! (the just a loving stick thing) And then after that she has the best "reaction shot from the jury" expression faces of all time.

bbf2 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 18, 2015

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

STAC Goat posted:

Sorry, not an Amanda fan. Never was, never will be. She had a decent head for the numbers, but she was social suicide. Very smug, very annoying to watch. I seem to recall her being alone with Peih-Gee towards the end of China and just hitting her with every high school mean girl cliché imaginable. I think she placed behind Courtney in the China finals, and granted Todd rocked that FTC, but she also whiffed hardcore. The only reason she got so many votes in Micronesia was because of how many people Parvati had betrayed on a deep, personal level.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

She's not an all time great player. I just like her. I don't think she's a bad social player. In fact the reason they all deem her such a massive threat in Micronesia is that she's so well liked and played such a good social game. Back when Nat and Alexis are trying to take her out they repeatedly say its because they can't beat her and even they like her. And Amanda gets a few bonus strategy points for playing them and Cirie on that one and winning the battle.

Like I said, I don't think she's a GREAT player. Parv, for example, is almost certainly a better player (she was terrible in Cook Islands which is my big knock against her since Amanda's worst season is better than Parv's worst, but Parv's best is better than Amanda's best twice). Amanda most likely wouldn't make my Top 10 but maybe my Top 25 or something like that. And her terrible Final Tribal performances are undeniable. I'd even take it one step further and say that Amanda had no head for the end game. Survivor is three games. The Tribal competition, the Merge, and the End Game. The End Game is all about setting yourself up to win. Who can you beat in the final immunities? Who will take you if they win? Who can you get jury votes over? Who do you want in the jury? How do you say goodbye to jurors? Who do you want to be sitting next to?

Russell was dogshit at the "End Game" even if he was good at the "Merge Game." Amanda was good at the social handling of the jury pre-Final Tribal but she's not only terrible at the Final Tribal pitch but she somehow always ended up sitting next to a better player. Is that just dumb luck that she was always allied with a better player in Todd or Parv? Or would Parv and Todd have been smart enough to eliminate each other if they found themselves in the same situation? Amanda doesn't seem to have that final killer instinct to shore up a win.

But I like her. I also love James because he's hilarious and (Heroes vs Villains detour aside) really likable and rootable. But he's not a great player. Hell, he's kind of an idiot in China. But as I've shown before I kind of get more invested with players I like than players I respect.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I don't think Todd was all that great a player actually. I think Amanda played a vastly superior game up until the Final Tribal council. Todd could talk a good game, but he made moves that got him in more trouble later. Todd also benefited from the tendency of people to engage with male players strategically in FTC, but female players emotionally.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Pavarti and Sandra are the only two Survivor players to make my jaw drop with how well/devious they played the game. The residual goodwill from the season they were both on (Heroes and Villains?) is probably why I still watch the show.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

bbf2 posted:

I've listened to all of them so far and would definitely recommend getting all of them. But if you were to pick and choose, the two season Rob was on (Amazon and All Stars) are by far the best. In terms of seasons that he wasn't on I think Pearl Islands is the best one of those, it was really hilarious. But really you should just get the whole set if you're a classic Survivor fan, its a more than reasonable price for how many hours of content it is.

It's great because Rob has kind of become very PC and non-confrontational on his podcast, he's much more candid in these and isn't afraid to be insulting even if he knows the contestant in real life and its hilarious.

I ended up purchasing the entire first "season" of TEOS and I'm super glad I did. I'm almost done with Outback right now and I'm really enjoying the in depth look at it. My only issue is Africa and Outback are the only 2 seasons I haven't seen so some of the stuff they are talking about doesn't really strike a chord with me or make much sense because I don't really remember any of it. Starting with Thailand I think I'll enjoy it much much more because I'll actually remember characters and events.

EDIT:

With all this winner talk I have to put my boy Chris right in the fold. He played the women at FTC like a fiddle and won convincingly - http://funny115.com/v1/61.htm

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 18, 2015

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Chris is a good example of someone I respect because they played a great game but someone who I don't remotely like because he was kind of a misogynistic rear end in a top hat in doing so. Which even the Funny115 guy admits makes him kind of icky.

garthoneeye posted:

I don't think Todd was all that great a player actually. I think Amanda played a vastly superior game up until the Final Tribal council. Todd could talk a good game, but he made moves that got him in more trouble later. Todd also benefited from the tendency of people to engage with male players strategically in FTC, but female players emotionally.

I think he's a little overrated because he seems to get all the credit for the stuff he and Amanda did together. So I think some of that credit should be moved to Amanda.

But I still give Todd the nod if solely because he ultimately won due to his own Tribal Council performance. Which basically means he went to the end with someone he could beat, which Amanda can't say the same about. Whether that was luck or design, who knows? But every winner has some luck.

I also think Todd just might have done a better job during the game in making himself look active as a player. Amanda flew under the radar and kept her hands clean but in the end that hurt her because no one gave her credit for the moves she was in on because they weren't really aware she was as hands on about it. Todd positioned himself to get more credit, which also put him in more danger of taking heat but that's the double sided sword. If you spend all game letting someone else do the talking (like Amanda basically did with Todd) then you run the risk of being seen as the lackey in the arrangement.

The flipside is you might be Natalie White and get all the jury love while Russell takes all the heat.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

STAC Goat posted:

Parv, for example, is almost certainly a better player (she was terrible in Cook Islands which is my big knock against her since Amanda's worst season is better than Parv's worst, but Parv's best is better than Amanda's best twice).

Right, this is a sticking point, because in retrospect (and I do need to rewatch this) I think Parvati was actually really really good in Cook Islands, and that's actually why they brought her back.

You don't see it in the edit because Aitu had such a ridiculously satisfying comeback story, but think about it. Parv was the one who engineered Jenny's ouster at the double tribal; she'd anticipated it. She got Aitu to nix Penner before herself and Adam, and she only went before Adam because he was derpy and she was an actual end-game threat. She was also vocal about thinking Candice was loving dumb for the mutiny; Nate had facilitated a dialogue and they were all supposed to wait for merge. That poo poo lost her the game, and it wasn't her fault.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Something I would've loved to have seen in HvV is Cirie to have made it far enough to reunite with Parv and to see how she would've interacted with Sandra.

My favorite people in China, by far, were James and Courtney. Heck, Courtney is on the short list as being one of my favorite survivors.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
Speaking of Cirie, I'm like 99% positive that she would've won Micronesia if all those medical issues didn't pop up. I love Cirie and I'm still bummed she never won. :smith:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I saw Cirie in HvV first and then Micronesia. I found her to be quite irritating and seemed to frequently make moves that weren't in her own interest yet somehow she just lucked into the end game in Micronesia. I was never impressed with the way she handled anything.

STAC Goat posted:

I also love James because he's hilarious and (Heroes vs Villains detour aside) really likable and rootable. But he's not a great player. Hell, he's kind of an idiot in China. But as I've shown before I kind of get more invested with players I like than players I respect.

I learned the other day that James has never won an individual challenge despite always being considered THE physical threat.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Met posted:

I learned the other day that James has never won an individual challenge despite always being considered THE physical threat.
He's huge and doesn't have much fat on him so a few weeks on a rice-only diet probably kills most of his energy.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

cock hero flux posted:

He's huge and doesn't have much fat on him so a few weeks on a rice-only diet probably kills most of his energy.

Tell that to the trees...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Even though he played in 3 seasons he was taken out relatively early in all of them. As far as I can tell he only competed in six individual immunity challenges. Since I just watched China and Micronesia I can remember them (with some help from Wikipedia) so I think it goes:

- China F10: A memory game where they had to answer questions about a performance that happened while they were having their merge feast.
- China F9: The dragon balance thing where they had to sit on a barrel leaking water that Courtney of all people won.
- China F8: Memory game again, but this was the one where you can choose to sit out and eat and I'm pretty sure James ate.
- China F7: Throwing stars, he lost in the final round and was voted out.
- Micronesia F10: The one where they drown the Survivors, he finished second or third to Jason.
- Micronesia F9: The one where you have to keep you arm up without pulling down a barrel of water, he finished in the middle of the pack when he got distracted.
- Micronesia F8: A three stage course where he finishes second in the final stage to Erik. He was evacuated after this.

So even though you'd expect James to have competed in a lot of them given his memorability and playing three times he actually only played in 7 (6 if you don't count the one he sat out) individual immunities and most of them weren't physical or played to his strengths. 2 were memory (and he sat out one), one was throwing stars, 2 were balance/concentration, one was drowning. I'd say only the Micronesia F8 and maybe the F7 China one played to his strengths and both were staged events he reached the final in before losing to really strong competitors (weirdly both named Erik).

So I think he was a major physical threat. Which is why they always took him out early before he could start seeing too many of those physical immunity challenges.

Met posted:

I saw Cirie in HvV first and then Micronesia. I found her to be quite irritating and seemed to frequently make moves that weren't in her own interest yet somehow she just lucked into the end game in Micronesia. I was never impressed with the way she handled anything.
If I remember right she gets taken out really early in HvV because everyone is scared of her because of her past work.

In Micronesia she's kind of overshadowed somewhat by Parv but she actually has a lot of control over the game. She uses her position as swing vote early on to force the Amanda/Parv/James/Ozzie alliance to take out Yau first. She works hard to convince Amanda that she shouldn't stick with Ozzie and works her way in well from the fifth in that alliance to a F3 with Amanda and Parv. She initiates the move against Ozzie even though Parv takes the heat (and credit) since she was closer to him, James, and Amanda. She's pretty key in the moves to make fools of Jason and Erik. I actually would have been really curious to see how she would have done against Amanda or Parv in the finals since those three all kept saying that the jury was angrier at her than they were at Parv. Of course the jury turned out to be weirdly angry at Amanda so who knows? I actually think she played the best game of all three ladies as she had way less collateral damage than Parv but more of a public record than Amanda.

Exile Island is really a lot of the same sort of play. She's always subtlety pushing people in her direction and managing to influence people towards her way of thinking without ever really having to be the one to make the big move. Cirie's strength is she's such a good talker and thinks so far ahead that when she wants to make a big move she usually needs to only suggest it and people go with it because she's been setting it up for awhile and her case makes sense. And she seems to manage to walk this fine line with people where she's very pleasant with them and they're friends but when she takes them out for game they don't take it too personally. At least that's how it seems but its hard to tell with her never facing a jury.

Cirie honestly could have won twice except for weird turns of fate. In Exile Islands she loses a F4 fire starting tiebreaker and in Micronesia she gets voted out at F3 after the alliance planned for a F3 Final Council. I guess you could say in both cases her master plan was one step short but its really pretty cool how close she came twice, how neither time she was taken out in the traditional sense, and how both times she seemed like she had a real shot at winning.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

STAC Goat posted:

If I remember right she gets taken out really early in HvV because everyone is scared of her because of her past work.

In Micronesia she's kind of overshadowed somewhat by Parv but she actually has a lot of control over the game. She uses her position as swing vote early on to force the Amanda/Parv/James/Ozzie alliance to take out Yau first. She works hard to convince Amanda that she shouldn't stick with Ozzie and works her way in well from the fifth in that alliance to a F3 with Amanda and Parv. She initiates the move against Ozzie even though Parv takes the heat (and credit) since she was closer to him, James, and Amanda. She's pretty key in the moves to make fools of Jason and Erik. I actually would have been really curious to see how she would have done against Amanda or Parv in the finals since those three all kept saying that the jury was angrier at her than they were at Parv. Of course the jury turned out to be weirdly angry at Amanda so who knows? I actually think she played the best game of all three ladies as she had way less collateral damage than Parv but more of a public record than Amanda.

Exile Island is really a lot of the same sort of play. She's always subtlety pushing people in her direction and managing to influence people towards her way of thinking without ever really having to be the one to make the big move. Cirie's strength is she's such a good talker and thinks so far ahead that when she wants to make a big move she usually needs to only suggest it and people go with it because she's been setting it up for awhile and her case makes sense. And she seems to manage to walk this fine line with people where she's very pleasant with them and they're friends but when she takes them out for game they don't take it too personally. At least that's how it seems but its hard to tell with her never facing a jury.

Cirie honestly could have won twice except for weird turns of fate. In Exile Islands she loses a F4 fire starting tiebreaker and in Micronesia she gets voted out at F3 after the alliance planned for a F3 Final Council. I guess you could say in both cases her master plan was one step short but its really pretty cool how close she came twice, how neither time she was taken out in the traditional sense, and how both times she seemed like she had a real shot at winning.

Yeah, in the cast interviews before HvV, Cirie was considered the #1 threat by a sizable portion (something like 1/4th - 1/5th) of the cast. So much so that even in her own interview she had to acknowledge that people were gunning for her. Actually having a victory under your belt was actually a benefit going into HvV because everyone just assumed that no one would vote for a previous winner in FTC.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Pony: Jenn - just a gut feeling
Poison: Shirin - I think anyone who got to where she is at her age is going to be overbearing in a setting like this. Plus she doesn't look athletic in the least bit and seems like a perfect first boot candidate

Also, Coconut Vendor is the best occupation ever

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

STAC Goat posted:

Even though he played in 3 seasons he was taken out relatively early in all of them. As far as I can tell he only competed in six individual immunity challenges. Since I just watched China and Micronesia I can remember them (with some help from Wikipedia) so I think it goes:

- China F10: A memory game where they had to answer questions about a performance that happened while they were having their merge feast.
- China F9: The dragon balance thing where they had to sit on a barrel leaking water that Courtney of all people won.
- China F8: Memory game again, but this was the one where you can choose to sit out and eat and I'm pretty sure James ate.
- China F7: Throwing stars, he lost in the final round and was voted out.
- Micronesia F10: The one where they drown the Survivors, he finished second or third to Jason.
- Micronesia F9: The one where you have to keep you arm up without pulling down a barrel of water, he finished in the middle of the pack when he got distracted.
- Micronesia F8: A three stage course where he finishes second in the final stage to Erik. He was evacuated after this.

So I think he was a major physical threat. Which is why they always took him out early before he could start seeing too many of those physical immunity challenges.

So final 7, and then final 8, are both...relatively early? Got it.

quote:

Nah. He gets taken out early because he busts his leg, is a jerk who eats too many bananas, and neglects the social game since he'd never had to play it before.

'Banana etiquette' is still one of the funniest phrases I've ever heard.

quote:

She works hard to convince Amanda that she shouldn't stick with Ozzie...

No. In fact, one of Amanda's worst answers in final tribal council:

Q: If you'd known about the plot to get rid of Ozzy, would you have told him?
A: Yes.

quote:

I actually would have been really curious to see how she would have done against Amanda or Parv in the finals since those three all kept saying that the jury was angrier at her than they were at Parv. Of course the jury turned out to be weirdly angry at Amanda so who knows?

Every single drat post-game interview says that Cirie would have won handily had she been in a final 3. She got screwed by one too many people quitting; final 2 was an on-the-fly decision from production.

Annnnnnnnnd I watch too much of this drat show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Propaganda Machine posted:

So final 7, and then final 8, are both...relatively early? Got it.
Well, "relatively" being the key word. Obviously James lasted well into the games but he was taken out before playing even half of the individual challenges. So while he's a two time juror and that's generally considered deep and if the conversation was "People who played deep" he'd fare reasonable well, for the purposes of "he never won an individual challenge" it seems fair to say he didn't compete in THAT many compared to other three timers like Amanda or Parv.

quote:

Nah. He gets taken out early because he busts his leg, is a jerk who eats too many bananas, and neglects the social game since he'd never had to play it before.

'Banana etiquette' is still one of the funniest phrases I've ever heard.
It is, but I was actually talking about Cirie there.

quote:

No. In fact, one of Amanda's worst answers in final tribal council:

Q: If you'd known about the plot to get rid of Ozzy, would you have told him?
A: Yes.
Yeah, Amanda was terrible at Tribal. I just rewatched that last night and I sat there nearly screaming at the TV for her to spin a tale about loyalty and integrity and her game plan as an answer to that. There's really no major question why Amanda doesn't win.

But yeah, while in the end Amanda didn't turn on Ozzy Cirie was still working her all season. And when Cirie and Parv betray Amanda to blindside Ozzie Amanda is angry at Parv, not so much Cirie. Her interactions with Cirie are more along the lines of "Ozzy wasn't the guy he first looked like.""I was starting to see that, but I couldn't betray him.""I know, that's why we didn't tell you, to protect you."

Cirie was just smooth and knew that there would come time where she'd need to take Ozzy out but keep Amanda so she was prepping Amanda from way early in the game about it about "the real Ozzy." Compare that to Parv who just makes the move and then wakes up the next day saying "Boy, I have a lot of damage control to do" and actually pisses Amanda and James off more with her attempts to smooth things over.

Parv's a great player but she's very impulsive which is part of the reason she causes so much collateral damage with her moves. Cirie's methodical.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
CBS All Access is amazing for anyone wanting to go back and watch old seasons. One free week and then $5.99 a month after that. I used to watch on Youtube all the time but I'm much happier being able to watch it "properly". My only complaint is this: I'm paying money to you CBS, get rid of the drat commercials. There is nothing that frustrates me more than that.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

CBS All Access is amazing for anyone wanting to go back and watch old seasons. One free week and then $5.99 a month after that. I used to watch on Youtube all the time but I'm much happier being able to watch it "properly". My only complaint is this: I'm paying money to you CBS, get rid of the drat commercials. There is nothing that frustrates me more than that.

Is the upcoming season going to be locked behind All Access at all?

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

FYI Amazon Prime streaming also has seasons 3, 12-27.

Spook
Feb 25, 2002

Silence of the MOTHERFUCKING LAMBS!!
Does anyone know how Todd is doing? I saw him on Dr. Phil a few months ago; his alcoholism was disturbing. It was at the point were if he were to stop drinking, it would just kill him.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

oopsie rock posted:

Is the upcoming season going to be locked behind All Access at all?
The way All Access works, the episodes come out from behind the paywall one week AFTER air date and remain free for the next 3 weeks then go back to pay to play.

Subscribers get the recently aired episode the following day, the way it used to be for everyone before CBS started their subscription model.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Corinne Kaplan's (Gabon & Caramoan) Annual BRUTAL Snap Judgement Of This Season's Contestants...

http://robhasawebsite.com/survivor-2015-corinne-kaplan-worlds-apart-cast-assessment/

This podcast is 3 hours long and is totally NSFW.
Use THIS GOON POST for a reference point.
Corinne uses the same bullet points.
You just have to dance around the Goon post to follow her frame of reference.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Feb 24, 2015

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Listened to CorinneCast last week at work, she's entertaining as hell even when she gets things wrong or focuses on trivialities. Wish she'd do a similar podcast for Big Brother.

Also funny is that they're drinking wine and about 2 hours in it's obvious Rob C can't keep up with her.

Now hoping S30 lives up to the hype, RHAP has done so much pre-season chatter - he and Nicole went over the cast for 3 hours; Corinne did another 3 hours, plus 2 hours with Dave Bloomberg from Reality News Online (mostly talking about earlier seasons about what works and what doesn't); and another 90 minutes of 'character type predictions'.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Speaking of Corinne I'm binging Gabon and I was just wondering if I was alone in how much I dislike the "We Love Marcus" alliance. They're not totally outwardly the biggest villains. Corinne is kind of crazy mean but Randy and Ace are much more obvious bastards not to mention clowns like GC. But Charlie is such a sycophant and creeper and Marcus just comes off arrogant and smug to me. And then I read a Marcus exit interview and he just sounds like such a deluded, up his rear end hypocrite to me. There's this really weird and off putting thing about Marcus, Charlie, and Corinne. I'm really, really enjoying watching their downfall. And I'm just wondering if it's just me.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Speaking of Corinne I'm binging Gabon and I was just wondering if I was alone in how much I dislike the "We Love Marcus" alliance. They're not totally outwardly the biggest villains. Corinne is kind of crazy mean but Randy and Ace are much more obvious bastards not to mention clowns like GC. But Charlie is such a sycophant and creeper and Marcus just comes off arrogant and smug to me. And then I read a Marcus exit interview and he just sounds like such a deluded, up his rear end hypocrite to me. There's this really weird and off putting thing about Marcus, Charlie, and Corinne. I'm really, really enjoying watching their downfall. And I'm just wondering if it's just me.

I think it's fair to say that everybody hates the Onions. They're probably one of the most hated alliances in Survivor history!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Whew. Cool. I just couldn't tell if I was being weird because I couldn't really point at something really bad Marcus or Charlie had said or done. And Corinne's nuts and nasty but she's so much that came off vaguely cartoonish. But there was just something that made me really dislike them and I couldn't put my finger on it. So I was worried it might just be me being weird.

Then again I've been reading some exit interviews and stuff and apparently Corinne boasted about selling drugs that would kill people and they all shunned Crystal at Ponderosa despite Charlie admitting it was horrible and he was only doing it out of peer pressure. So I guess I was just getting the vibe that they were sucky people.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I think the vibe you're getting is that the Onions have decided that all the cool pretty people should run the island, and they have a very high school attitude about it.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Alright tonight is the premier of Survivor: Worlds Apart and due to the hype that is everywhere It's probably a indication of a good season.

Hopefully they will throw this intro into tonights episode : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYaim45ynNQ

Pony: Max
Poison: Rodney (Why Will You Be the poison of this seasons SURVIVOR: With my smarts, athletic ability, hustle like a salesman and personality, I think I can make it, baby! )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's have some predictions before first episode arrives.

Who is getting the first boot and why?

Nina Poersch. Is an older lady and not probably the biggest asset among the eyes of others. How much of an impact will Cochlear implant have on her game remains to be seen.

Nexal fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 25, 2015

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Ghostpilot posted:

Yeah, in the cast interviews before HvV, Cirie was considered the #1 threat by a sizable portion (something like 1/4th - 1/5th) of the cast. So much so that even in her own interview she had to acknowledge that people were gunning for her. Actually having a victory under your belt was actually a benefit going into HvV because everyone just assumed that no one would vote for a previous winner in FTC.

And despite all this, she had an amazing start to HvV and only got taken out by a clever idol play and a botched split vote. In the alternate universe where J.T. doesn't flip, Cirie is almost guaranteed merge, and it's very easy to imagine that she would have completely stopped the give-Russell-an-idol plan the Heroes all agreed upon. It becomes a completely different season, and one in which a Hero could plausibly win (including maybe Cirie!).

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

STAC Goat posted:

Pinterest Mom posted:

I think it's fair to say that everybody hates the Onions. They're probably one of the most hated alliances in Survivor history!

This comes up every now and then, and I always come out as probably the only defender of the Onion alliance.

I thought the bromance between Charlie and Marcus was adorable. Randy was an rear end in a top hat, but I seem to remember SA always loving his curmudgeon self. And sure, Corinne is a bitch, especially towards Sugar, but apparently everyone felt the same way she did about Sugar. Sugar was apparently unbearable at camp, and the cast generally has agreed post-game that she got a very (unfairly so) positive edit. I found Crystal (especially after she betrayed Marcus's confidence after they discovered that they had a very personal connection outside the game) and Susie to be absolutely loathsome, they were terrible at the game, and very unlikeable players. And Ken, while a lovable geek in the beginning, got increasingly paranoid and bitter. The only likable players in their alliance were Matty and Bob. But really, once the onion alliance was gone, there was no interesting strategy left in the game. We were left with a bunch of dumb at the game, boring people.

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?
Forgot this was tonight, gonna be weird going back to network TV so soon after Parks and Rec ended.

Pony: Tyler
Poison: Vince

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

STAC Goat posted:

There's a reason that Matty gif is used so much on the internet

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, I don't particularly like anyone from Gabon besides maybe Sugar and Bob (whatever Sugar may or may not have been like for real she comes off likable on the show). Although I hardly see Susie and Crystal as loathesome. It actually seems a little silly to me that Marcus thought "my best friend is your cousin" would form a loyalty on Day 20-something when he had this big numbers edge. And same with Susie. She knew she was on the rear end end of that alliance, she had just been one half of a split vote, half the alliance outwardly dislike her, why wouldn't you trade up into a loose alliance of five you can probably worm your way deeper in?

If Marcus had been outright betrayed after being loyal I might feel bad for him but he was double talking and making promises he couldn't possibly keep. How could he be loyal to Crystal if he had his Kota 6? Was he promising her 7th place? And how could he promise Susie Final 3 if he has Charlie, Corinne, and Randy promised Final 4? Marcus was a snake who was apparently too full of himself to realize that you can't ally with half the island without betraying a lot of people and making a lot of false promises.

But mostly the whole cast are clowns, idiots, and asses. And yet it's a weirdly enjoyable season for its madness.

Rarity posted:

There's a reason that Matty gif is used so much on the internet

I thought it was just because Matty seems like at any moment he could flip from pleasant, affable guy into a Batman villain. I didn't remember any of the details of this season belides Bob's idol.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 26, 2015

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
My Pony is Shirin because she likes Larry David
My poison is Max because he looks like a loving douchebag

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Nexal posted:

Let's have some predictions before first episode arrives.

Who is getting the first boot and why?

Nina Poersch. Is an older lady and not probably the biggest asset among the eyes of others. How much of an impact will Cochlear implant have on her game remains to be seen.

Following in the footsteps of Tina from Panama: EI, who was supposed to be on the season previous to the one she was on, I think So Kim will be getting the first boot.

(Also her tribe seems less athletic than the other two.)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Was Vince trying to eat bugs there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
holy gently caress i already hate feather-hair

also previously on survivor etc etc

• Locked thread