Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

mayodreams posted:

Even as a contractor I can't imagine that missing a meeting is a one and done situation.

It was a meeting specifically about my permanency in the company... lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Honest Thief posted:

I know this has dire consequences for your life, but I laughed pretty hard at this because that's some 90s sitcom poo poo right there.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Inspector_666 posted:

I just accept every connection request on LinkedIn. Is that wrong?

I'm like Jesus, I accept everyone.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Just come in the next day and act like nothing ever happened.

Edit: I'm also fired at the end of the week. I have a week off and then I start at a financial services MSP. :smithicide:

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 25, 2015

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

Working in IT 3.0: I forgot about the meeting in which I was gonna get fired

Seriously though, best of luck to you, this is a good industry and you'll find something better :)

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Oh boy, now they're pulling me in the middle of the work hours specifically to talk to me, fun, fun!
I'm not too worried, I'll just try and be as honest and candid as I can with them, if they do decide to let me go, so be it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I have no clue how any of you can do contract work at all. Nothing says "We don't value you as an employee" like contract positions do.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Gotta get paid, somehow

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
And nothing says "I don't give a poo poo" like sleeping on a big pile of money at night. Some people derive self-worth and life satisfaction from non-work things.

I'm not one of those, but hey - I know they exist. I've worked with them.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I don't make that much money lol I literally just have to work to pay for poo poo, like housing and maybe that GTX970 i've been dreaming with. It's like a IT sweatshop.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Having seen what contractors get paid versus what regular employees get paid per day, I'd say they don't give a poo poo

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ElGroucho posted:

Having seen what contractors get paid versus what regular employees get paid per day, I'd say they don't give a poo poo

I am sure its been discussed before but after you factor in insurance costs and time between contracts I am sure the total isn't all that glamorous for the average contract employee.

I have also never worked anywhere that didn't treat contracts like second class citizens. I am sure these crazy paying long term contracts are just everywhere and I am the only person not swimming in money like Scrooge mcduck.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It was a bit ago, somewhere around this post http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653857&pagenumber=132&perpage=40#post440852851

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's also important to clarify being a contractor versus being a 1099 contract employee versus being a W2 contract employee.

All of the 1099 contractors I know have spouses with stable jobs and good benefits.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Sickening posted:

I am sure its been discussed before but after you factor in insurance costs and time between contracts I am sure the total isn't all that glamorous for the average contract employee.

I have also never worked anywhere that didn't treat contracts like second class citizens. I am sure these crazy paying long term contracts are just everywhere and I am the only person not swimming in money like Scrooge mcduck.

I never had any downtime at all between contracts, my rate was high enough to also cover insurance, and I never felt like a second-class citizen, especially since I was brought as a contractor specifically because I was a resource brought on to do something nobody at the company could do.

In a broader sense, contracting is just like any other job. If your self-worth and job satisfaction is based on what tax category you fit in and whether the company considers you capex or opex, there are much larger problems.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think there's a pretty big difference between "contractor brought on to do a specific task" (aka probably 1099) and "contractor we hired because we want it to be easier to fire them (probably W2).

Personally, I wouldn't be able to handle the stress of finding new work at the end of a contract.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
I pay 1099 contractors on average $5/hr more than W2. That's roughly $10K more per year. If your spouse has solid benefits, it can be a great option because it comes with a lot of tax benefits.

Conversely, my W2 contractors get a couple weeks paid time, the 6 major holidays, 401k, benefits options, etc., not to mention solid pay in most cases and invites to all our sweet happy hours. Contract life isn't always that bad. My people that work for the state can be on contract for years and in a lot of environments they are valued team members.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

What the hell is a 1099 contractor?

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

For your willingness to be fired at the drop of a hat you are rewarded with the privileges of more paperwork and taxes/fees

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm guessing something like this dumpster fire that hit my inbox this week:

Delusional HR Department posted:

Position: Email Analyst (Exchange)
Duration: 6 months + (high possibility for extension)

Responsibilities:
· Resolve Microsoft Exchange or Lync end user issues submitted to the Level 2 support team
· Write and execute PowerShell scripts
· Complete routine maintenance activities
· Work on special projects as requested
· Conduct end-user training

The position responsibilities outlined above are in no way to be construed as all encompassing. Other duties, responsibilities, and qualifications may be required and/or assigned as necessary.

Requirements:
· 3 year in a technical support role, 2-3 years of support demonstrating an increase in independence over time
· Bachelor’s Degree, preferred
· PowerShell skills required
· Outlook client knowledge, Lync client knowledge, Active Directory management
· Understanding of anti-virus and anti-Spam filtering functionality
· Ability to talk with and work with users, executives and other technical resources
· Professional customer-facing demeanor
· Excellent phone and written communication skills

PLUS Requirements:
· Bachelor’s Degree, preferred
· Experience supporting BPOS-D or Office 365 environment
· Previous experience supporting a large, 35,000 + mailbox environment

Edit: added some emphasis. Also another case of someone clearly not reading my resume because they are looking for a junior admin and I am a senior engineer.

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 25, 2015

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I could be entirely wrong but that's always the impression I got from self employed people.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's named for the IRS's 1099 form that you have to file at the end of the year. As opposed to W2, named for the IRS's W2 form of reported earnings your employer sends to you (and the IRS) at tax time. The difference between them is basically tax implications, the chief one being that you have to pay both the employer's part and your own of social security with a 1099 (the govt gets more of your money) and also the complexity of filing.

Put more clearly:

If you're a W2, you get wages and benefits like most of the country, benefits, insurance, sick leave, vacation, and are salaried (not hourly).
If you're a W2 contractor, you're employed directly by a subcontractor but paid hourly, and your subcontracting company takes a percentage of your hourly rate but gives you insurance/benefits like a normal company but not generally job security or holidays/sick leave. They often deal direct with the prime (the contract they are billing you to) and you never see any paperwork / agreements and often don't even know what you're being billed at (though it's typically ~150% - 200% of your hourly earning)
If you're a 1099 contractor, you pay and bill hourly, you're on your own with regards to tracking all of it, have to deal with your own insurance/benefits, and the govt takes a bigger bite of your earnings (thus your hourly rate is much higher to compensate)

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 25, 2015

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

In practice all the 1099 contractors I know were guys that moved from their W2 contractor relationship to a corp-to-corp relationship with their clients after starting their own LLC. Though that seems to have fallen out of fashion and people are doing S-Corps these days, and I'm not sure if 1099s are involved there.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That's the part most people miss. You aren't an employee at that point so much as a company. So it helps not to look at it in a "who's paying my paycheck" sense, but rather a business sense.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I've never done it, but from what I understand it's effectively the same but you also have to file twice - several forms for your S-corp and a different form for yourself (a 1040, not 1099)

In any case I'm 99% sure if you go through the trouble to own an S-corp you've also employed a tax preparer and financial guy to handle the details at tax time.

Edit: I wonder if people are moving to S-corps because of the preference of POs and SoWs over just giving them a tax ID number / SSN and calling it a day? I've been out of the loop on this stuff for a while, I'm strictly W2 now.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 25, 2015

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Thanks Ants posted:

Probably best suited to the enterprise Windows thread, but Google Apps Directory Sync doesn't care about .local domains, it goes by whatever the email address is set to on the user object.

After reading a bit, I think I'm just going to let sleeping dragons lie and not tackle renaming the domain. I'll just keep adding on to it and probably ending up leaving a giant mess. :banjo:

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

To expand on what Bhodi said:

In the US, each worker pays part of his/her wages into Social Security and Medicare.

W-2 employees don't have to worry about that because employers are required to withhold those payments from each paycheck and send it directly to the IRS. The W-2 is the form an employee receives from the company at the beginning of the year detailing the previous year's income and everything that was withheld.

People that receive 1099's (1099-MISC, to be exact) are considered by the IRS to be 'self-employed'. Companies do not withhold Social Security and Medicare from payments to 1099 people. Those payments are collected in the form of a self-employment tax when the worker files their yearly tax return.

The IRS has a list of questions that serve as a litmus test for determining whether a worker is an employee or self-employed. I'd be seriously shocked if the majority of 1099 workers weren't being misclassified.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vibur posted:

To expand on what Bhodi said:

In the US, each worker pays part of his/her wages into Social Security and Medicare.

W-2 employees don't have to worry about that because employers are required to withhold those payments from each paycheck and send it directly to the IRS. The W-2 is the form an employee receives from the company at the beginning of the year detailing the previous year's income and everything that was withheld.

People that receive 1099's (1099-MISC, to be exact) are considered by the IRS to be 'self-employed'. Companies do not withhold Social Security and Medicare from payments to 1099 people. Those payments are collected in the form of a self-employment tax when the worker files their yearly tax return.

The IRS has a list of questions that serve as a litmus test for determining whether a worker is an employee or self-employed. I'd be seriously shocked if the majority of 1099 workers weren't being misclassified.

Okay, I was wondering about that W-2 thing too, I thought it was like a T4 tax form that we have in Canada that's just an income statement, but you have "W-2 employees"? I don't know poo poo about contractor stuff even here though I guess.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Bhodi posted:

I've never done it, but from what I understand it's effectively the same but you also have to file twice - several forms for your S-corp and a different form for yourself (a 1040, not 1099)

In any case I'm 99% sure if you go through the trouble to own an S-corp you've also employed a tax preparer and financial guy to handle the details at tax time.

Edit: I wonder if people are moving to S-corps because of the preference of POs and SoWs over just giving them a tax ID number / SSN and calling it a day? I've been out of the loop on this stuff for a while, I'm strictly W2 now.

Hold on; you've never done it, but you have all these criticisms?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's a term for someone who is on the company's payroll. 1099 contractors aren't considered to work for the company, both legally and financially.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Companies will typically pick up a 1099 contractor when they don't have the funds for personnel, but have funds for "resources" to complete a project.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Most common situation I've seen it used is maternity/medical leave.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

FISHMANPET posted:

I think there's a pretty big difference between "contractor brought on to do a specific task" (aka probably 1099) and "contractor we hired because we want it to be easier to fire them (probably W2).

Personally, I wouldn't be able to handle the stress of finding new work at the end of a contract.

ITT: people who have never been contractors talk about what it's like

I was brought on because I had skills none of them had, for long-term work. No a specific task. Except insofar as most companies have a lot of " specific tasks " that they don't have the internal skillset to do.

W2 contracting can also be a capex v opex thing. And an easier way to evaluate potential employees, who can be converted if they want.

A contract ending was never stressful. Finding new work was always easy. Also, though I never took advantage of it, many W2 contractors are basically in the same role as consultants on-site. Your firm wants to place you at a new position if they can. Because you make them money.

I'm not sure why this is the most insecure place on the internet. Your tax status is not your self worth. Any employee can be terminated. Being a figurative albatross (W2 FTE) which is harder to get rid of is no protection. If you're bad, they'll find a way to get rid of you whether or not you're a contractor.

But contractors are not treated like a lower caste at most companies. They probably even have email addresses at your company! And fit into the same management structure! Business resources are business resources. Being a contractor has its advantages, even W2.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

evol262 posted:

Business resources are business resources.

I'M A PERSON NOT A RESOURCE :byodood:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
1099 aka rent to fire

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
In other news I just finished all my labs for the VCP5 class 2 weeks ahead of time :woop:

Now I guess I have to wait for the class to complete so I can take the exam, get the cert, and make millions

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
It's done, we broke up. The boss seemed to be on the verge of tears, I think we remained friends, it's okay buddy.... oh right, I'm without a job now! VACATIOOOOOOOON

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Inspector_666 posted:

I'M A PERSON NOT A RESOURCE :byodood:

lol. I always catch myself when I say that now.

I did 1099 work for over 7 years for an MSP that supported the local cable company in FL. I held my own S-corp and carried my own liability insurance as well as commercial auto insurance since I drove my own car. I did commerical and residential (yuck) wireless installs and networking as well as sell my own labor for upgrades and virus issues. I had zero benefits but I wrote off everything under the sun and paid next to no taxes and had regular work every day. On the down side, when I didn't work I didn't get paid, but on the up side I was doing glorified desktop support and light network/system administration for literally twice the pay of any place around.

It was a pretty solid gig and I have no regrets except for the fact that it didn't further my career in IT. Instead I really got into the relationship building/biz dev side of things which led to my transition into staffing.

tl;dr 1099 stuff can be great and is not always necessarily hire to fire.

Bonus: ask me about working in smoky roach-filled single wides and indoor dog poop.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Dark Helmut posted:

I pay 1099 contractors on average $5/hr more than W2. That's roughly $10K more per year. If your spouse has solid benefits, it can be a great option because it comes with a lot of tax benefits.

Are there really any tax benefits for your typical 1099 position that is 9-5 in the same office? Maybe you can deduct your parking or something, but the self employment taxes crush that. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone for $5/hr unless we're talking about $10 vs $15. I did it for a while, it sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

In other news I just finished all my labs for the VCP5 class 2 weeks ahead of time :woop:

Now I guess I have to wait for the class to complete so I can take the exam, get the cert, and make millions

I'm in cram mode - 2 weeks until my 7 day bootcamp for CCNENT/CCNA: R&S, CCNA: Security and CCDA. I'm supposed to have read all the books prior to the class, but I'm doing the practice exams and study guides too so I actually have some sort of understanding. Currently need to do 150 pages/day every day to make it. Did 250 pages and labs and poo poo yesterday/last night.