Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I can't help but laugh in Road Warrior when Max goes from driving The Interceptor to...this.

It's kinda great because it's like a child's drawing of the ultimate hot rod come to life but boy is it doofy looking at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

moths posted:

Raiders can't stand people dressing in white.

Not after Labor Day.

With all of the Thunderdome discussion, it just clicked with me that Nick Hoult's Nux in the trailer was reminding me a whole lot of some whacked-out amalgam of Scrooloose and Pig Killer.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

SALT CURES HAM posted:

You know, I don't always agree with Tomatometer scores but that's about how I'd rate them.

e: I was looking up the actors who were in Mad Max 2 just out of curiosity, and Jesus loving poo poo I think that movie is cursed. The only person to come out of it with any kind of successful career that wasn't derailed by batshit insanity or horrible, slow death (the actress for the Captain's Girl died at 37 of adrenal cancer) was Vernon Wells.

Virginia Hey did alright for herself, I think.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
... as a Navi impersonator?

edit: aw poo poo and I even used to watch Farscape :(

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Barometer posted:

Virginia Hey did alright for herself, I think.

I didn't even come across her, who was she? I also forgot Bruce Spence, since he at least showed up in LotR.

e: Ha, her career is basically exactly the same as the actress who played Captain's Girl, just without the slow, horrible death from adrenal cancer.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I didn't even come across her, who was she? I also forgot Bruce Spence, since he at least showed up in LotR.
For a while it seemed like it was an unwritten rule that you had to add Spence to your trilogy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
He was great in The Matrix also, I'm glad he was able to be like the ultimate god of that one subway. He's one of Mr. Book's assistants in Dark City as well, though he only has two or three lines.

His being cast as a similar but different person in Thunderdome was because even then Miller liked the idea of Max's story being a myth rather than a hard setting.

That oasis was pretty chill, but I think the point was that the kids got to fly back to what the oldest ones knew as their real home.

I really don't mind the kids overall and really liked their wholly unique slang and little culture that formed. But the film really does drag there, the overly cartoony action and the chase not being as interesting hurt it a lot more to me.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 23, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Bruce Spence got a gig in that tv adaptation of that terrible Terry Gookind book series. Wizard's First Rule? I think it went on for a couple seasons. He was one of the main characters, anyways.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
What the gently caress, Bruce Spence was in Legend of the Seeker? That show owned really hard, especially given what it was based on, and now I know why.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SALT CURES HAM posted:

e: Ha, her career is basically exactly the same as the actress who played Captain's Girl, just without the slow, horrible death from adrenal cancer.
Virginia Hey was the Warrior Woman. She's instantly recognizable without the makeup. Also, she apparently left Farscape because the blue makeup caused her kidneys to bleed :gonk:

If she had stayed on longer her career might have matched Captain's Girl even more closely...

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Roger Ebert loved Spielberg-style sap and hated movies that were relentlessly bleak and uncomfortable (see: hating Blue Velvet). Combine that with the fact that he was a huge fanboy for comic book science fiction and it's really not too surprising.

...also, big breasts and black women.

If there had been a big-budget science fiction movie in the '80s that had Pam Grier as the lead and it had her at least topless once, it would be Roger Ebert's Movie Of That Year.

Also, on Mad Max actors appearing in other films, this is largely because of how small the casting pool in Australia is (or at least at the time). If you watch Australian movies long enough, they'll pop up evenutally: Roger Ward (Fifi) shows up in Turkey Shoot, Steve Bisley (Goose) has been part of some Coast Guard show for decades, and Hugh Keays-Byrne has had a cinematic career forever, but has been mostly doing theater during the 2000s.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Young Freud posted:

...also, big breasts and black women.

If there had been a big-budget science fiction movie in the '80s that had Pam Grier as the lead and it had her at least topless once, it would be Roger Ebert's Movie Of That Year.

I'd have killed to have seen his reaction to Fortress 2: Reentry.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, thread. Just popping in to say that I love The Road Warrior and I like Thunderdome to a large extent. I've seen the first Mad Max and enjoyed it but I haven't watched it in a while.

This movie looks amazing! I liked the little two-headed lizard that was in the first teaser. I don't know if mutant animals are going to be a thing in the movie, but I hope they do show some more. I may be a minority opinion, but i wouldn't mind a tad bit of Thundarr the Barbarian in Mad Max. Just show some mutant freaks and "technology of the Ancients" and it'd be rad.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Armyman25 posted:

I can't say for certain, but I think there are some alternate takes in the Tina Turner video for Beyond Thunderdome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq4aOaDXIfY

Looking over it: 1:42 has a deleted scene where Ghekko dies on a sand dune overlooking Bartertown thinking it's Tomorrow-Morrow Land. Explaining why he suddenly isn't in the rest of the film.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Japanese trailer has a few new scenes in it, as well as the skull-and-steering wheel logo I don't recall seeing before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YFuB3wuge0

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Now that's a chastity belt.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Is that the international release date at the end or what?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Hah loved the quick shot of someone being clobbered with a flaming electric guitar! I'm loving the designs of the costumes and set, it'll be worth watching just for that.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i had only watched 2 and 3 previously due to catching them on tv multiple times as a kid so i watched the first one 2 days ago and I was kinda shocked by how increadibly well shot the movie was. almost every scene looks like a completely gem. the nightclub scene with goose was not something i had expected in a mad max movie

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I love the out of nowhere baptism scene on the beach with Johnny the Boy. Also the entire part where Johnny is trying to refuse to torch Goose as the match burns down to his hand and he shouts "I can't take the PAAAAAIIIN!"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There is a ton of Peter Weir in Mad Max 1 and I love it.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Haha that dude on the stage car shredding on the guitar is awesome.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There is a ton of Peter Weir in Mad Max 1 and I love it.

And in Road Warrior...

Of course, Fury Road has an homage to The Cars That Ate Paris with the hedgehog VW.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The Mad Max: The Game thread fell into archives because there's been so little news for it, but for anyone interested, it sounds like Game Informer is going to have an entire months worth of exclusive content on their website: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...campaign=buffer

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The trailer for this confused me, especially since I haven't watched more than bits and pieces of the earlier films:

If the setting is post-apocalyptic or at the very least "Something caused civilization to collapse", as I understand it, how does everyone have tons of gas to drive in huge elaborate chase scenes? Hell, I thought that Mad Max's setting entailed some energy/gas collapse...

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

The trailer for this confused me, especially since I haven't watched more than bits and pieces of the earlier films:

If the setting is post-apocalyptic or at the very least "Something caused civilization to collapse", as I understand it, how does everyone have tons of gas to drive in huge elaborate chase scenes? Hell, I thought that Mad Max's setting entailed some energy/gas collapse...

Probably the same reason everyone decided to wear leather and metal in a scorching desert.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

The real answer to this is because driving cars is awesome. The pretend answer is probably that a gas crisis when there's 7 billion people and a gas crisis when there's 600 million are two different things. There are literally no bastions of civilization shown in these movies, and even the hoard of Humungous is like, 30 guys. Also I don't think anyone is claiming the lifestyle of the crazy wasteland hotrodders is sustainable.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
theres a heavily fortified place where they make gas, caravans go there and trade with other cities so there's always some gas to be found even though its pretty rare

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Aunty Entity:
We call it Underworld. That's where Bartertown gets its energy.

Max:
What, oil? Natural gas?

Aunty Entity:
Pigs.

Max:
You mean pigs like those?

Aunty Entity:
That's right.

Max:
Bullshit!

Aunty Entity:
No. Pig poo poo.

Max:
What?

The Collector:
Pig poo poo. The lights, the motors, the vehicles, all run by a high-powered gas called methane. And methane cometh from pig poo poo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, and the compound in Road Warrior had an oil well.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

MisterBibs posted:

Mad Max 1 takes place basically during the apocalypse, so there's still civilization and gas stations and poo poo until the third act. Road Warrior's plot revolves around an oil refinery and by Thunderdome, the gas is all gone and Bartertown is powerful specifically because they know how to harvest methane. By all accounts Fury Road takes place between 1 and 2, so logically there's still enough gas to scavenge to run spiky murdercaravans.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Blind Sally posted:

The Mad Max: The Game thread fell into archives because there's been so little news for it, but for anyone interested, it sounds like Game Informer is going to have an entire months worth of exclusive content on their website: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...campaign=buffer

I'm digging the abandoned statue of that announcer guy from Thunderdome. Fallout 3 did a pretty good job of open world post apocky-clips, I hope this follows suit.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'm so hyped for the game I know I will be disappointed, but it really does look awesome. I used to play that crappy NES Mad Max game and Outlander on the SNES/Genesis (this was a Mad Max game officially when it began development) all the time growing up, wishing that an actual good Mad Max game could exists. So of course Fallout 1 ended up being like my favorite game of all time. :) It's always weird to me how the three Mad Max movies are definitely as influential on video games as Terminator, Aliens, etc. but only ended up with one official game based on them in 1990.

Blind Sally posted:

The Collector:
Pig poo poo. The lights, the motors, the vehicles, all run by a high-powered gas called methane. And methane cometh from pig poo poo.

When you watch the TV cut of this that would be on WPIX and TNT all the time back in the day it's edited to sound like "And methane cometh from pigeth." :3:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 5, 2015

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

So, every year I go to this thing called Wasteland Weekend, and it's gotten larger with every year, and we're all kind of anticipating that this year is going to be insanely, exponentially more packed than every other year combined on account of the new Max movie. I'm looking forward to seeing an influx of people dressed like the new villains, heroes, Citadel worms, bullet farmers, and Gasstowners.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

That looks loving awesome, if I wasn't on the opposite coast I'd go every year.

I'm thrilled to see they still have jugging. That's one of my favorite movies. :3:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 10, 2015

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

mr. stefan posted:

By all accounts Fury Road takes place between 1 and 2, so logically there's still enough gas to scavenge to run spiky murdercaravans.
It's actually intending to be a reboot for a new trilogy. It's skipping over the origin story and dropping you into the middle of it with the assumption the audience generally knows his backstory. It's not going to connect to any of the other films beyond expanding on the world of the wasteland.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
George Miller has said nothing of the sort. Mad Max: Furiosa and another potential film are planned, but he's never used the word reboot or defined when this film takes place in the timeline. Everything that's been claimed is just conjecture.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
You should probably just watch the movie and enjoy it on its own merits instead of trying to decide whether it's supposed to a sequel, midquel, prequel, or reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Great Rumbler posted:

You should probably just watch the movie and enjoy it on its own merits instead of trying to decide whether it's supposed to a sequel, midquel, prequel, or reboot.

Like the other 3 movies. There is no continuity or real timeline or canon to any of the other movies and it's better that way.

• Locked thread