Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fo3 posted:

Most servos doing the switcharoo will only use E10 or E15 (10% or 15% ethanol). E85 is 85% ethanol and most manufacturers won't back it unless sweet government funding received to design a car that can run it. They probably can, but who knows? Anyway, why would they have interest in lower quality fuel that gives them a worse fuel efficiency rating just to make some farmers happy?

E10 is pretty much the norm in the US now, except for a handful of stations. In TX, that seems to be mostly stations in the middle of nowhere.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Should my 2012 Impala with the LFX be flex fuel capable? The manual does not mention E85 anywhere. I know older Impalas are flex fuel capable, but they had different motors. I don't have any desire to run E85 in my car, I am just curious.

According to Wikipedia:

Wikipedia posted:

The LFX is an enhanced version of the LLT engine. Introduced in the MY2012 Chevrolet Camaro LS, it is 20.5 pounds (9.3 kg) lighter than the LLT, due to a redesigned cylinder head and integrated exhaust manifold, and composite intake manifold. Other components like the fuel injectors, intake valves, and fuel pump have also been updated. Power and torque are up slightly from the LLT. The compression ratio is 11.5:1. The LFX also features E85 flex-fuel capability.

From GM's press release on the 2012 Impala:

GM posted:

Standard 300-horsepower (224 kW) 3.6L V-6 DOHC SIDI engine with variable valve timing and E85 FlexFuel capability (all models), with EPA-estimated 30 mpg highway

Sounds like it can handle E85 just fine.

revmoo posted:

This seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen for gas station owners. I don't know what the regulations are, but I know that the weights and measures folks take gas pump accuracy pretty seriously, and it seems to me that if they fail to dispense fuel with the correct specs that is a problem for the gas station, not motorcycle owners.

Awhile back I swiped my card at a pump, hit the button for regular, and the pump turned on.. and ran up to almost $1 while I was holding the nozzle in my hand (obviously, not dispensing gas). I told the manager about it, he just shrugged and didn't seem concerned, even asked him to go out and witness it himself (I wanted my $1 back damnit). So I mentioned it to the Texas Dept of Weights and Measures.

They emailed me a report of their findings about 2 weeks later; every dispenser was out of compliance for gasoline, and all but 1 was out of compliance for diesel. They'd red-tagged every dispenser until the station could fix it (this was a chain station that happens to primarily operate as a BBQ place [Rudy's, for Texas goons], and happens to sell gas as well). They also sent me a link to the portion of their website that lists violations for every gas station in the state. It's a bit of a bitch to navigate (since you wind up downloading a loving Excel spreadsheet), but that station has had multiple violations found during every inspection since it opened. They only have 4 dispensers, so that takes a lot of neglect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Slavvy posted:

My tercel has a 4E-FE 1300cc with that 3 speed auto. It isn't that miserable but it isn't pleasant either. Bizarre that they decided to stick a 3 speed on the 1.6 though. We got the 7A-FE in the 'GLX' models which had alloys, 4 wheel discs, top of the line interior etc. Everything else had either a 1.6 or, god help me, a 2E that for some loving retarded reason kept it's carburettor right up until '95.

I knew a guy once who had a Paseo that had a 5E-FE in it. Never rode in it.

I just don't like the Corolla with the 4A-FE/3 speed automatic because it just cannot do hills. Going up a hill in a car so equipped is a "mash down the loud pedal and wait" sort of a deal.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Root Bear posted:

How about a custom stanced F150:

The truck is still on.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Geirskogul posted:

The truck is still on.

Not like it's gonna get any more broken, and it's probably in park.

Apparently in some places it gets cold? idk I'd probably want a running heater even if the truck's immobilized.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Bike float valves hate ethanol too, but enough about that loving poo poo.

Kastein: rover salisbury axles will split just like that ford too, because its a 60 with pressed in tubes.

280 at a standstill cause this dickbag yanked his loving wheel jacking off while texting. ARGH.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fucknag posted:

Not like it's gonna get any more broken, and it's probably in park.

I don't think park is going to do a drat thing in the case of this one. :v:

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Ferremit posted:

The flex fuel sensor system is what the Mighty Car Mod guys installed into Gramps to run E85. Helps that it was all managed by the top of the line haltec ECU...

Looked like a Continental Flex sensor, same as GM and a few others use I think.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

I don't think park is going to do a drat thing in the case of this one. :v:

Well, if it's 4WD, then I guess you're relying on the transfer case

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Slavvy posted:

My tercel has a 4E-FE 1300cc with that 3 speed auto. It isn't that miserable but it isn't pleasant either. Bizarre that they decided to stick a 3 speed on the 1.6 though. We got the 7A-FE in the 'GLX' models which had alloys, 4 wheel discs, top of the line interior etc. Everything else had either a 1.6 or, god help me, a 2E that for some loving retarded reason kept it's carburettor right up until '95.

Hey now, my Corolla had a 2E and it wasn't that horrible.

That was with a 5-speed, though.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

If you need to find your no ethanol gas stations http://pure-gas.org

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Awhile back I swiped my card at a pump, hit the button for regular, and the pump turned on.. and ran up to almost $1 while I was holding the nozzle in my hand (obviously, not dispensing gas). I told the manager about it, he just shrugged and didn't seem concerned, even asked him to go out and witness it himself (I wanted my $1 back damnit). So I mentioned it to the Texas Dept of Weights and Measures.

They emailed me a report of their findings about 2 weeks later; every dispenser was out of compliance for gasoline, and all but 1 was out of compliance for diesel. They'd red-tagged every dispenser until the station could fix it (this was a chain station that happens to primarily operate as a BBQ place [Rudy's, for Texas goons], and happens to sell gas as well). They also sent me a link to the portion of their website that lists violations for every gas station in the state. It's a bit of a bitch to navigate (since you wind up downloading a loving Excel spreadsheet), but that station has had multiple violations found during every inspection since it opened. They only have 4 dispensers, so that takes a lot of neglect.

So they don't just suck at BBQ? I'm not surprised.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

veedubfreak posted:

Also it makes your car smell like french fries 24/7.

Corn should only be used for eating and making liquor.

Get that crap out of my sodas too.

As well as being better for soda, isn't sugar cane also a far more efficient way of producing ethanol anyway?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah but "big corn"
The only people that sell flex fuel down here are the eastern states and independants. Only people that buy them are people not giving a gently caress about economy but using it for a substitute for race fuel. (which is why MCM had the haltech sensors to run it), they want alcohol content to add power to improve 1/4 mi or racetrack performance and don't care about economy.

In Western Australia we don't care too much for sugar (eastern state grown only), or corn at all out here. You have to look for and fuel with ethanol on purpose - rather than the opposite "look to avoid it" like everywhere else in Australia or the US it seems.
Sucks if you like corn, Tex-Mex and mexican food in WA, but it's just regular 91 is at the pump for your car as a compromise, and hardly any corn around (or sugar plantations).

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 25, 2015

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

According to Wikipedia:

From GM's press release on the 2012 Impala:

Sounds like it can handle E85 just fine.

BTW you can check here if you don't want to trust in Wikipedia: http://gmpowertrain.com/VehicleEngines/PowertrainProducts.aspx

I like to use it for GM products.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Naturally Selected posted:

But nuclear is scary :ohdear: It's got ATOMS in it and and fukushima and :ohdear:

At least the US won't be getting any more nuclear power for the far foreseeable future, thanks on one side to the coal lobbies and on the other to retards that assume nuk-u-lar is guaranteed Chernobyl/Fukushima.

Turkey Point units 6 and 7 (which will be the 3rd and 4th nuclear units at the site,) are still more or less on track to be done around 2017/2018. Normal NRC idiot-delays, but still the same decade as planned, which is more or less on schedule, for nuclear construction. :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

According to world-nuclear.org, there are five new reactors currently under construction in the US, five more planned (including the Turkey Point units), and 37 applications in progress. I'm actually surprised those numbers are so high, given Big Coal and the no-nukes idiots.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Country-Profiles/Countries-T-Z/USA--Nuclear-Power/

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
I thought the big reason for a lack of nukes was they arent economically viable compared to coal and solar is rapidly catching up (the aus govt had a great scheme with rebates for solar which like all good policies was axed by abbott)

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

I thought the big reason for a lack of nukes was they arent economically viable compared to coal and solar is rapidly catching up (the aus govt had a great scheme with rebates for solar which like all good policies was axed by abbott)

You're absolutely right in that Nuclear costs more mostly because of the incredible cost of the plant. If you built a coal/gas/oil plant to be a stringently safe as a nuclear plant the costs would be closer to comparable, but you don't need to because only nuclear has such high safety standards.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

Solar is not cheap, just subsidised. Coal gets a break as not taxed for how bad it is for the environment.
Nuc costs a hell of a lot and a long time to build, people don't want to put that much money up front in case some miraculous new tech might show up soon, and also because of nimbys and general public reservations.
No government has put any serious investment into infrastructure to build industries since the 1970s really. It's been a long slope down with porkbarreling and sell offs to private industry and back scratching since then, doing the maximum for lobbyists and mates, and the bear minimum to not lose elections.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

From what I understand one of the big issues with nuclear cost is the lack of standardization. Every plant is more or less a custom job from the ground up. There's a lot of regulatory overhead associated with that.

If plant design could be standardized and then certified once to be built many places, it would cut down a lot of the time and cost.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Fo3 posted:

Solar is not cheap, just subsidised. Coal gets a break as not taxed for how bad it is for the environment.
Nuc costs a hell of a lot and a long time to build, people don't want to put that much money up front in case some miraculous new tech might show up soon, and also because of nimbys and general public reservations.
No government has put any serious investment into infrastructure to build industries since the 1970s really. It's been a long slope down with porkbarreling and sell offs to private industry and back scratching since then, doing the maximum for lobbyists and mates, and the bear minimum to not lose elections.

Welcome to neoliberalization, you won't enjoy your stay unless you're already rich

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

I worked largely unsupervised at a marina's fuel dock when back I was a stupid punk teenager, and found the residual pressure left in the 60' long fuel hoses was good for a 1/8 gallon of free gas when the pump (and meter) was shut off.

Was setting myself up for a first degree misdemeanor worth the effort and approx. $30 I saved on fuel over the course of a summer? Probably not. With the thin margins fuel stations run on though, the owner probably thought letting the lines backflow residual pressure into the storage tanks when shut off then charge the customer to pressurize them again was a 'fool proof' way to glean an extra $1 per customer.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 25, 2015

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

"Jumping on the hose" is a time-honored tradition.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Just one of those days coming home from a business lunch and a loving semi truck wheel pops out of nowhere and rips your loving roof off.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Does insurance cover the cost of new pants?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Time to buy a fuckin lotto ticket

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
You can kind of see the guy better in this shot, but it looks like his only injury is a cut/scrape to his hand. The wheel was moving at a pretty good clip because after doing that to the car its final resting place was maybe 1/8th mile further up the road.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Jesus CHRIST

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
That second photo looks like his rear end sucked up part of the seat cushion.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I'm going to assume the truck the wheel came off of was nowhere to be found?

e:

VVV Not the wheel itself, the truck the wheel came from VVV

Geoj fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 27, 2015

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Nope, we came across it maybe 1/8-1/4 mile before the sardine can car. There were enough cars pulled over to either side of the highway in the southbound lane that I'm pretty sure it bounced off another car or two. Nothing as bad as the first one though.

EDIT: Read that wrong... yea the truck the wheel came from was long gone. Either didn't know or didn't care and wanted to get the hell out of dodge.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
To leave a mark like that, it must have been a truck going the other way. Assuming it was a dual rear wheel they may have not even noticed if the truck was empty...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That is one lucky bastard.

There's a radio psychologist, Dan Gottlieb, on NPR in Philadelphia. Same thing happened to him on the Schuylkill Expressway a couple decades ago. Killed his wife & paralyzed him from mid-chest down. Think it messed up one of his kids too.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

PainterofCrap posted:

That is one lucky bastard.

There's a radio psychologist, Dan Gottlieb, on NPR in Philadelphia. Same thing happened to him on the Schuylkill Expressway a couple decades ago. Killed his wife & paralyzed him from mid-chest down. Think it messed up one of his kids too.

When I saw what that truck tire did I was thinking "gently caress, maybe riding a motorcycle around a bunch of horribly-maintained big-rigs is a really lovely idea". However, judging about the amount of damage it did to that car as well as hearing about Dan Gottlieb, I guess there's really nothing you can do when a semi-truck wheel comes bounding your way, car or not. :smith:

cursedshitbox posted:

That second photo looks like his rear end sucked up part of the seat cushion.

If i was driving by that accident and saw that man with a pants full of his own poo poo and a seat cushion up his rear end, I wouldn't say a goddamned thing about it. I think there are some things in this world that are scary enough to justify a pants-making GBS threads, and this is clearly one of them. :stare:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Ripoff posted:

When I saw what that truck tire did I was thinking "gently caress, maybe riding a motorcycle around a bunch of horribly-maintained big-rigs is a really lovely idea". However, judging about the amount of damage it did to that car as well as hearing about Dan Gottlieb, I guess there's really nothing you can do when a semi-truck wheel comes bounding your way, car or not. :smith:

If i was driving by that accident and saw that man with a pants full of his own poo poo and a seat cushion up his rear end, I wouldn't say a goddamned thing about it. I think there are some things in this world that are scary enough to justify a pants-making GBS threads, and this is clearly one of them. :stare:

That one dash cam footage with the guy driving with his wife :smithicide:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamn, how do you even explain that to your insurance?

I would hope somebody followed the truck long enough to get a plate, but I don't have enough faith in humanity for that to happen.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

That one dash cam footage with the guy driving with his wife :smithicide:

gently caress you man, I had forgotten about that :smithicide::hf::smithicide:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Beach Bum posted:

gently caress you man, I had forgotten about that :smithicide::hf::smithicide:

I'm very sad to remember every detail of that man's cries.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

Woah....THAT'S how he got paralyzed? I knew he was, but never how/why.

That's terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We had something similar happen outside of Pittsburgh just two months ago. It wasn't even a tractor trailer, just a simple normal utility trailer.

http://www.wtae.com/news/route-28-closed-after-crash/29861060